• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I think I'll stick around in America. Enough people have to try and fix this country, and I'm just optimistic (naive) enough to attempt to join that chorus.

I want to travel often though. But I want no parts of Canada. Too samey. You live in Western/Upstate NY long enough, you get enough of that experience second hand.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm with Trey, but at the same time I don't blame anyone in the slightest for leaving or wanting to do so.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think I'll stick around in America. Enough people have to try and fix this country, and I'm just optimistic (naive) enough to attempt to join that chorus.

I want to travel often though. Also, I want no parts of Canada. Too samey. You live in Western/Upstate NY long enough, you get enough of that experience second hand.

But America hasn't done a fucking thing for you lol

there is no obligation at all. people just don't travel enough. get out. go see the world, gain some perspective, choose your own situation instead of just getting fucked by circumstance and rolling with it

give it a serious thought. not even a long one. just long enough to scratch your chin the next time you're stuck in traffic

its not like anyone here is a refugee. you're not stuck in a warzone because you're literally stuck in a warzone

KumaJG

I want to travel often though. But I want no parts of Canada. Too samey. You live in Western/Upstate NY long enough, you get enough of that experience second hand.

Canada at least has sports teams to cheer for.

ReiGun

I want to say I'll stick around and try to change this country, but I know before long I'll be chucking the deuces and heading north to good ol Canada.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Doesn't Canada have it's own issues with it's own people of color? I agree about the traveling part, but Final Fantasy ass people acting like it's a utopia for black people everywhere else but America.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I ain't goin up there to freeze my ass off just because people down here want to be crazy.

I refuse to believe that gif is real choreography
There's a reason the Arrow OT is called "Welcome to the Flip Age."

Roy's flips are almost as big a part of the show as characters walking in one someone they care about kissing somebody else.

RADIOACTIVE

RADIOACTIVE

Shit, if I can get a decent job in logistics up in Canada... i'll definitely pack my bags. If I only knew a Mauritian woman I can marry I'd probably move there instead... lol

niggas act like racism aint gonna follow you to Germany or Canada or whatever fantasy ass world you talking about but aint going nowhere anyhow.

jmood88

there is no obligation at all. people just don't travel enough. get out. go see the world, gain some perspective, choose your own situation instead of just getting fucked by circumstance and rolling with it

give it a serious thought. not even a long one. just long enough to scratch your chin the next time you're stuck in traffic

its not like anyone here is a refugee. you're not stuck in a warzone because you're literally stuck in a warzone

You act like it's cheap and easy to travel the world. I just went to the UK and plane tickets alone were around $1500. Unless you're telling people to get on a plane and be homeless in a new country, it's not as easy to pick up and visit as you seem to be suggesting.

niggas act like racism aint gonna follow you to Germany or Canada or whatever fantasy ass world you talking about but aint going nowhere anyhow.
Exactly. The one constant in this world is racism/colorism. Even in places like Haiti or Brazil, where the majority of the population are of African descent, the lighter you are, the more likely you are to be better off and if you're dark, you're looked at as inferior.

Trey

I agree that I need new perspectives and to travel the world. I also need to see all the corners of this country, which is diverse in itself. Maybe after all of that traveling I change my mind - maybe something dramatic occurs in America that changes my mind. These are possibilities and I'm not discounting them.

But for now, I'm good here.

Onemic

Doesn't Canada have it's own issues with it's own people of color? I agree about the traveling part, but Final Fantasy ass people acting like it's a utopia for black people everywhere else but America.

Canada has its own, but damn is it no where near as close as the shit going down in the US right now.

Still moving to Canada.

Might join you.

I'm with Trey, but at the same time I don't blame anyone in the slightest for leaving or wanting to do so.

I want to say I'll stick around and try to change this country, but I know before long I'll be chucking the deuces and heading north to good ol Canada.

I think I'm in the same boat but I want to see change happen and or live long enough to see it in place.

Well damn, don't all ya'll niggas run away at once

Yeah maybe it's running away but honestly there's something to be said for a tolerance level.

harSon

Banned

I guess institutional racism, oppression and baseless hatred is better then all of that on top of getting shot

Exactly. The one constant in this world is racism/colorism. Even in places like Haiti, the lighter you are, the more likely you are to be better off.

This is unfortunately true. Majority of the country is black, but all the power is held by people with fairer skin. My mother is black, but due to her grandfather being white with a basic trade skill (plumbing) her family was one of the richest in the city. But then she got married to pops and her entire family emigrated to the U.S. cuz... Duvalier.

DY_nasty

now yal acting like the odds of getting shot 14 times at a routine traffic stop are the same in germany as the us

legit shook lol
You act like it's cheap and easy to travel the world. I just went to the UK and plane tickets alone were around $1500. Unless you're telling people to get on a plane and be homeless in a new country, it's not as easy to pick up and visit as you seem to be suggesting.

Exactly. The one constant in this world is racism/colorism. Even in places like Haiti, the lighter you are, the more likely you are to be better off.
I'm not saying pack up and move tonight lol

I've been on my plan to leave America since I was 22 and 5 years later I'm sitting in a much better position to do so before 32 than I ever thought. It ain't easy, it isn't cheap, it isn't done on a whim. You need to find a place and be real with yourself about everything - good and bad. I'm not going to say that my perfect destination is your perfect destination or that there is a magical place for all people of color. That place doesn't exist. But I guarantee there are better places than America for those that decide to look and aren't afraid to make a change while accepting all the potential hardships that come along with it.

but to sit around and just be fucked up and accepting of a crappy situation that you never personally signed up for is bullshit. the world is smaller now than it has ever been in history and people are still acting like going across the country is just unpossible.

so its either stay fucked up and pretend to be able to change the machine when you can't even convince motherfuckers to google the name of their local police chief or wish them the best and make the best decision for you what you actually can control

Trey

To my mind, looking at America and leaving is as accepting - if not more so - of America's bullshit than looking at America and rolling up your sleeves.

On that point, I completely understand and don't blame a person one bit for wanting to get the fuck out.

harSon

Banned
I hope ya'll are on a career track that a country wants, otherwise it's going to be pretty difficult to move into said country.

DY_nasty

To my mind, looking at America and leaving is as accepting - if not more so - of America's bullshit than looking at America and rolling up your sleeves.

On that point, I completely understand and don't blame a person one bit for wanting to get the fuck out.

i already rolled up my sleeves more than most and i got the receipts

fuck this country. never did shit for any person of color. don't understand the obligation to fix what most never wanted.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

fuck this country. never did shit for any person of color. don't understand the obligation to fix what most never wanted.

You didn't have a relative working during the civil rights era? One that was a sharecropper? Someone in your family that tried to push back against that bullshit?

Far as I'm concerned, they built this land. Wtf are you supposed to say? Hey, racist, you finally won. I'mma leave now? They had it worse than us and followed the damn Northern Star not only to freedom, but to try and make a home.

It's easy to see why people want to fix shit.

I can understand people wanting to leave and have been able to travel some, but dawg. lol That part of the struggle isn't difficult to grasp.

jmood88

I hope ya'll are on a career track that a country wants, otherwise it's going to be pretty difficult to move into said country.
Unless they want to become an illegal immigrant. People seem to think that moving to another country is like moving to another state.

No disrespect, but this whole moving to Canada thing is such a stupid-ass sentiment. Like who the fuck are you to say some shit like that to me? Get fuckin' real.

Kreed

It's even easier now with so many jobs where you can work remote. One of my coworkers said fuck it one year and moved to Ecuador. Combine that with his US salary vs the local economy and dude is living pretty well.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. America ain't shit. Fuck your founding fathers, fuck your In God We Trust, Fuck your pledge of Allegiance.

jWILL253

Banned
Won't shit change for wherever y'all decide to go until society fundamentally changes the way it sees people different from them.

There's a reason why niggas in here were joking about colonizing the moon...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I need to know who the developers were for Ride to Hell: Retribution.

Literally shit on a disc...

I had way more fun with that piece of garbage than I thought I could. It's delightfully horrible.

ReiGun

Won't shit change for wherever y'all decide to go until society fundamentally changes the way it sees people different from them.

There's a reason why niggas in here were joking about colonizing the moon...
NASA sending people to Mars. They could drop us off. Just saying.

DY_nasty

You didn't have a relative working during the civil rights era? One that was a sharecropper? Someone in your family that tried to push back against that bullshit?

Far as I'm concerned, they built this land. Wtf are you supposed to say? Hey, racist, you finally won. I'mma leave now? They had it worse than us and followed the damn Northern Star not only to freedom, but to try and make a home.

It's easy to see why people want to fix shit.

I can understand people wanting to leave and have been able to travel some, but dawg. lol That part of the struggle isn't difficult to grasp.

They got the fuck out too.

Or retired and moved to the middle of nowhere and stopped giving a fuck about everyone - only continuing to fight when they get a white waitress and not tipping them out of spite. But people back then didn't have the options to leave like they do now. Hell, most of them would hate many of us today for not even bothering to show up at polls or do a fraction of the volunteering that they did.

But on that other thing you said... No.

People who claim to want to fight today don't even respect what the generation before them did. They want to. But they can't understand it. What do you think they'd do if they had the same tools that we do today? People are kidding themselves by pretending to be apart of the exact same fight. We have the benefit of complacency. We don't have to give a fuck because we have jobs to go to. They didn't. You have a safety that many back then wouldn't even consider possible. That changes the entire comparison. You're not the same as your ancestors, your parents, or your grandparents - but because of how the world has changed, is changing, your kids will have more in common than you when dealing with this than any other tie between previous generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom