• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boy who is from NC met J Cole at the mall well before he was even a thing. J Cole was trying to sell him a mixtape and my boy was like
camby.png
"nigga I'm on my last 5 dollars, I'm tryna eat!!"

Fast forward to a few months ago, he gets a text message from his brother who is in the Army. It's a picture of him posing with J Cole with a message saying "should've bought my mixtape"
mjlol.png

Hate on Cole but listen to Gambino and Danny Brown, brehs (ishi, please tell me you're not joining in on this, too!).

They all suck. Cole ain't no better bruh. Cole is the textbook defintion of average.

"I let you feel like you the shit, but boy you can't out-fart me"

fuck outta here.

Trey

My boy who is from NC met J Cole at the mall well before he was even a thing. J Cole was trying to sell him a mixtape and my boy was like
camby.png
"nigga I'm on my last 5 dollars, I'm tryna eat!!"

Fast forward to a few months ago, he gets a text message from his brother who is in the Army. It's a picture of him posing with J Cole with a message saying "should've bought my mixtape"
mjlol.png

and then what? nigga would've been 5 bucks poorer and Cole still wouldn't have known who he was.

In both Bayonetta 1 and 2 there is a boss fight where the male boss character does an super attack on Bayonetta by grabbing her by the neck and lifting her off the ground. Then the screen goes white with a bunch of black flashes. Then you see Bayonetta and the boss lying on the ground. Bayonetta is naked/knocked out, and the boss is laying on his side relaxing/smoking. Seems pretty blatant to me.

I bought Bayonetta 1 for the 360 and was planning on getting 2, but I never knew about either of these attacks. Between this and the pillow nonsense on twitter it's making me reconsider buying it.

Right, but after reading through the thread (and watching a video), most people not on GAF seem to immediately think "Akuma's Raging Demon reference." Then secondly, she doesn't become naked if she's wearing any costume other than her standard hair costume (this falls in line with Kamiya's "loss of power explanation." Also, evidently Rodin is always smoking.

Like... going into the thread, I figured there may be something there (and there still might be), but I'm significantly less... certain than some people seem to be, with all of the context given.

Disclaimer: I haven't gotten Bayo yet.

and then what? nigga would've been 5 bucks poorer and Cole still wouldn't have known who he was.

I was roasting this dude for months when he told me that story, this was well before the text from his bro. It got so bad he even dropped 20 bucks on some random ass rappers mixtape and DVD just so he can say "he supported someone on the come up"

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Damn. Ishibear outchea living that Fallout lifeahstyle in the D. Chiraq and Gary are kinda close Ishi. I'm sure you can make it to safer havens.

I don't live in Detroit. I'm nearby tho.

Not listing where I stay. Too many crazy people out there that I don't feel like going to jail for.

royalan

Right, but after reading through the thread (and watching a video), most people not on GAF seem to immediately think "Akuma's Raging Demon reference." Then secondly, she doesn't become naked if she's wearing any costume other than her standard hair costume (this falls in line with Kamiya's "loss of power explanation." Also, evidently Rodin is always smoking.

Like... going into the thread, I figured there may be something there (and there still might be), but I'm significantly less... certain than some people seem to be, with all of the context given.

No. It's implying rape, and it's obvious. And everyone in that thread reaching to say "No it isn't!" should be ashamed of themselves.

Besides the fact that Bayonetta is laying there, naked and attempting to cover herself, and shivering in humiliation (such a departure from her usual character that this alone should be obvious enough)...Like, I mean, it's infuriating. FOR HOW FUCKING LONG in American Pop Culture has a dude lying down next to a woman and smoking a cigarette NOT been code for "there was sex"? This isn't complex thinking. This isn't hard. And this doesn't require anyone to be a sultan of pop culture references to get it. IF YOU'VE SEEN PRACTICALLY ANY 80s/90s ROMANTIC COMEDY YOU'VE SEEN THIS. This is so blatant that I'm literally questioning the motives of anyone who tries to suggest this is something else more innocent.

But nooooo, it's not implying rape. I can't.

Trey

I think rape is implied, and that at the very least, the poses each of them assume at the end of the attack have sexual connotations; Rodan in a position of powerful satisfaction and Bayonetta in a position of vulnerability and humiliation.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Honestly, I don't know what to say about the Bayo thread. I looked at the video and I thought she was laying there covering up because censorship... but I really dunno.

Then again, I've never had a chance to play either game of Bayo so I'm very perplexed without knowledge of the background context.

Or maybe I just have a hard time imagining someone as powerful as Bayo be subjected to such a horrible thing.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It's out of character, because there is absolutely nobody else in the series that can fuck with her (outside of her Dad for a brief period of time). It's also an optional boss fight, so it holds zero relevance to how her character is structured. The two wouldn't even be fighting, especially with the shit going down in Bayo 2, storywise.

It's videogame shit.

If it happened during the actual narrative, then I'd be upset that it went from Terminator 2, to I Spit on Your Grave.

The people ignoring the imagery are kinda lol though.

royalan

It's out of character, because there is absolutely nobody else in the series that can fuck with her (outside of her Dad for a brief period of time). It's also an optional boss fight, so it holds zero relevance to how her character is structured. The two wouldn't even be fighting, especially with the shit going down in Bayo 2, storywise.

It's videogame shit.

If it happened during the actual narrative, then I'd be upset that it went from Terminator 2, to I Spit on Your Grave.

Honestly, I think THAT'S what's bothering me the most at this point.

Like, nothing wrong with acknowledging what it is and having an honest discussion about that. "It's just an optional boss fight," or "It's such a small part of her overall character as its been built over the two games that I don't think it changes that Bayonetta is overall an empowering figure." Those are two examples of valid arguments,.

But don't be so fucking gullible and/or prone to defend everything even tangentially Nintendo-related that you look at something so. fucking. obvious and go, "...nuh uh!"

It's videogame shit.

See, that's the thing, because they are people who are VERY adament about "WHAT ARE YOU A FUCKIN' IDIOT OF COURSE ITS A RAPE JOKE HOW FUCKING DUMB ARE YOU" and then there are the "ITS NOT A RAPE JOKE AT ALL BECAUSE HE ALWAYS SMOKES CIGARS AND CONTEXT AND EXPLANATIONS AND KAMIYA SAID"

and there's just...noooooo middle ground between this these two talking points. No compromises. I am clearly right, you are clearly wrong.

Combine that with a game that already has pretty sketchy sexual politics and welp

Trey

The thing about the explanations for all of the elements of that scene are that the animators could have went so many other directions and not have it look suspect, but they went the way the did.

Rodan smokes cigars? have him standing over her while smoking a victory cuban.

Bayonetta is powerless, that's why she's naked? Come up with a pose that doesn't look like she's covering her asshole.

you could have went in any other direction and still maintained those reasons without all the sexual/rape allusions, but they went the way they did.

*randomly clicks 'Post Reply' to emphasize how long I've been waiting*

...Oh.
...Well... hmm.

Where you're from/Where you live: NY
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Jamaican-American
Do you know your roots- ^^^
Your Age: 23
Favorite musical genre: Hip-Hop
Your profession/major/career interest: Web Development
Your religious affiliation: Christian
Hobbies: Music-Creation, Video Games Of Course, thinking of worse screennames than this one in my spare time

...Oh.
...Well... hmm.

Hobbies: Music-Creation, Video Games Of Course, thinking of worse screennames than this one in my spare time

Welcome!

royalan

J Cole could get it.

Then again, I was in here a few months ago saying Drake could get it. So what do I know?

...none of you are Drake or J Cole, right?

RP912

Banned
I guess J Cole really have a dollar and dream to his name...

props to him though even though his music is meh as hell.

Young Magus

...Oh.
...Well... hmm.

KFC or Popeyes?
You like grits?

...Oh.
...Well... hmm.

Welcome

Imm0rt4l

Darius Rucker/Hootie just sang "I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas" at the tree-lighting ceremony in New York City. Because America is fucking trolling us so hard right now. So hard.

-Baratunde Thurston
via facebook

Darius Rucker/Hootie just sang "I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas" at the tree-lighting ceremony in New York City. Because America is fucking trolling us so hard right now. So hard.

-Baratunde Thurston
via facebook

Was Barkley off camera doing a soft shoe in a top hat?

DominoKid

ever since twitter pointed out that one of Tracy Ellis Ross' eyes is off, i cant help but to zero in on it every time she's on in Blackish.

idk how i didn't notice this when i was a kid and Girlfriends was on. actually it's probably because i was always focused on Jill Marie Jones

Blackish killed it on the sports codewords tonight.

Kreed

I did see the explanations, however the biggest issue I have with the "homage" to Akuma's Raging Demon attack explanation is Rodin lying down on the ground taking a smoke. Yes Rodin always smoked in the first game but why not have him do Akuma's victory pose? Or anything other than lying down beside naked Bayonetta? But homage or not, that doesn't really solve anything anyway. The attack can be an intended homage to Akuma in addition to being a rape joke.

And yes Bayonetta's hair costume would gain/lose hair based on attacks vs her other costumes but like you said, that is her standard costume. As in, that's the costume the developers focused on first and every other costume is secondary/bonus. So Bayonetta not being nude in other costumes doesn't matter. Also this is a scripted attack animation that occurs once Bayonetta is grabbed, so they did not have to have Bayonetta appear nude after the attack is performed.

They all suck. Cole ain't no better bruh. Cole is the textbook defintion of average.

"I let you feel like you the shit, but boy you can't out-fart me"

fuck outta here.

Breh, you are so schizophrenic when it comes to music. You spent like fourteen pages trying to argue against Moris telling you Gambino was trash, now he's trash so you can shit on Cole.

: /

KFC, mostly cause it was the one that was around. Popeyes ain't show up in my neighborhood til a few years ago.
I grew up around mostly West-Indian black people. That + NY living all my life = I don't remember ever having grits.

I was about ready to get on you but I remembered, I'm grew up with a west indian mother and asian father. I ain't have grits until much later on in my life. As for your choices in chicken... you need to get on that Popeyes train breh.

Young Magus

-Baratunde Thurston
via facebook

What part of the game is this man....what part...

The SMT 1 part where the world is bout the reset.

KFC, mostly cause it was the one that was around. Popeyes ain't show up in my neighborhood til a few years ago.
I grew up around mostly West-Indian black people. That + NY living all my life = I don't remember ever having grits.

Eh, can't blame ya in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom