• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jWILL253

Banned
dwill.png

Stockholm Syndrome- feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

Desensitization- diminished emotional responsiveness to a negative or aversive stimulus after repeated exposure to it.

I usually wax poetic and crack jokes about random shit. Hell most of the time I throw out the occasional witty comment or rarely used reference to some strange and different shit. Not today. I have mulled over every thing that has transpired this month and as I sit in front of this computer screen, burning the candle at both ends trying to make ends meet, I ponder my decisions and the love of my country. Many of you go hard and crusade on the day to day, representing for all of us as a people regardless of creed, color, sex or nationality. I commend you for it. I just have never been the one. But today im disheartened and disenfranchised. How can a man love something that constantly hurts him. Love something so implicitly that he is willing to lay down his life for it. But for everytime he is shown why he shouldnt. Today feels a little different. Months ago I witnessed the open and shut video of a man being murdered for selling cigarettes. Like the rest of you I knew damn well it was open and shut. Footage was present and showed every dark detail of this mans demise. I watched and I pondered why? Today I learned like most of you that the man who murdered this man, has walked away with little repercussion. Today i learned that I must be suffering from stockholm syndrome. Because no one in there right mind would let this fuckstick go free after the shit I saw. Not in my country that ive grown to love. That I fought for. Bled for. Burned for. But like a hostage, I watched my kidnapper with his own set of rules manipulate and let a trigger man walk. The gamut of emotions that are running through my head, I cant even explain. Part of me wants to scream rise up. Part of me wants to cower in fear and hope that hope will hopefully overcome. Sounding hopeless right now. But as I type this it brings back memories of shit seen as a child. The unknown instances where coming up in rural Louisiana in the 80's shit like this was commonplace. Theres nothing like a repressed memory barreling back into your conscious. Like witnessing a family member kicked like a dog and a chain wrapped around his neck by the people who were supposed to serve and protect because of mistaken identity. Or an uncle who was almost drowned by those who were supposed to uphold the law. Or a father figure standing at his front door to a trailer with a shotgun while 4 year old watches as our lawbringers continue to lay siege outside because of mistaken identity. The only reason they didnt open fire because a child was in the house. Hence why I am desensitized. Today I expected that writing this would grant me some semblance of feeling. To be honest, im more numb then I was yesterday. Its hard to love something that doesnt love or care for you. I dont know whats worse, knowing this and still believing it will get better when all signs point to no. Why is the question I ask. When I shouldnt be asking a question at all. Its good to know that we are all hostages and expendable. But whats fucked up, is it doesnt change a fucking thing. Be well family. Grab your sons, daughters, brothers and sisters and hold them close.

Esch had the GOAT post about J Cole talking about getting boners for the first time and shit

Sounds pretty accurate. I will say his line on Fire Squad had me perk up slightly.

"History repeats itself and that's just how it goes
same with how these rappers bite each others flows
same thing that my nigga Elvis did with rock & roll
Justin Timberlake, Eminem and then Macklemore
While silly niggas argue over who gon snatch the crown
look around my nigga, white people have snatched the sound
This year I'll probably go to the awards dappered down
watch Iggy win the grammy as I try to crack a smile
I'm just playin!"

Stockholm Syndrome- feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

Desensitization- diminished emotional responsiveness to a negative or aversive stimulus after repeated exposure to it.

I usually wax poetic and crack jokes about random shit. Hell most of the time I throw out the occasional witty comment or rarely used reference to some strange and different shit. Not today. I have mulled over every thing that has transpired this month and as I sit in front of this computer screen, burning the candle at both ends trying to make ends meet, I ponder my decisions and the love of my country. Many of you go hard and crusade on the day to day, representing for all of us as a people regardless of creed, color, sex or nationality. I commend you for it. I just have never been the one. But today im disheartened and disenfranchised. How can a man love something that constantly hurts him. Love something so implicitly that he is willing to lay down his life for it. But for everytime he is shown why he shouldnt. Today feels a little different. Months ago I witnessed the open and shut video of a man being murdered for selling cigarettes. Like the rest of you I knew damn well it was open and shut. Footage was present and showed every dark detail of this mans demise. I watched and I pondered why? Today I learned like most of you that the man who murdered this man, has walked away with little repercussion. Today i learned that I must be suffering from stockholm syndrome. Because no one in there right mind would let this fuckstick go free after the shit I saw. Not in my country that ive grown to love. That I fought for. Bled for. Burned for. But like a hostage, I watched my kidnapper with his own set of rules manipulate and let a trigger man walk. The gamut of emotions that are running through my head, I cant even explain. Part of me wants to scream rise up. Part of me wants to cower in fear and hope that hope will hopefully overcome. Sounding hopeless right now. But as I type this it brings back memories of shit seen as a child. The unknown instances where coming up in rural Louisiana in the 80's shit like this was commonplace. Theres nothing like a repressed memory barreling back into your conscious. Like witnessing a family member kicked like a dog and a chain wrapped around his neck by the people who were supposed to serve and protect because of mistaken identity. Or an uncle who was almost drowned by those who were supposed to uphold the law. Or a father figure standing at his front door to a trailer with a shotgun while 4 year old watches as our lawbringers continue to lay siege outside because of mistaken identity. The only reason they didnt open fire because a child was in the house. Hence why I am desensitized. Today I expected that writing this would grant me some semblance of feeling. To be honest, im more numb then I was yesterday. Its hard to love something that doesnt love or care for you. I dont know whats worse, knowing this and still believing it will get better when all signs point to no. Why is the question I ask. When I shouldnt be asking a question at all. Its good to know that we are all hostages and expendable. But whats fucked up, is it doesnt change a fucking thing. Be well family. Grab your sons, daughters, brothers and sisters and hold them close.
Those feels.

Yep, we got new types of trees, but they're bearing the same Strange Fruit. Blood on the leaves, and blood at the root.

It's Open Season, fam. Stay safe. There are no fucks given about us.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Em has been suffering in his albums, but why do people always bring him up when it comes to the vulture shit? The durag nonsense, maybe, but that guy lives and breathes hip hop. He came at JT too? lmao.

Good post Rio.

I've traveled a few places in the states (Missouri, Kansas, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Hawaii). I'm never moving down south or out east. That snow shit can fuck itself.

Hawaii is the only place outside of California I've been that could get me to leave I think.

When people put Justin in with Macklemore I just smh...

Dude seems to really appreciate his influences. I got mad respect for dude and I never typically put him in the same sentence as Elvis or Iggy if its to deride the latter. There's appropriation and there's appreciation, I'd like to think Justin Timberlake appreciates.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
didn't like how he walked it back w/ that "just playin"

no fence sitting Jermaine

Call yourself king, then cop pleas in the form of jokes, and then try to make yourself sound philosophical brehs.

Can't stand that shit he does. Say something "provocative" and then go, "they're just jokes man...now cut the cards."

jWILL253

Banned
You know, Rio... your post makes me think about the "Open Season" thing that gets posted in threads where a Black person dies at the hands of the law.

I'm beginning to wonder if that's really as they see us: as animals to be hunted, dogs to be tamed, beasts to be conquered.

Earlier in this thread, I made a reference to Animal Farm, a book written by George Orwell. I regret making that reference now, because I realize that we are living in that book. Pigs getting away with anything and everything, while the rest of us are hunted if we don't fall in line... hell, we're hunted even if we do fall in line...

Slayven

Good shit

I have never played this game in my life...

did you go to college? if so, I don't understand how you could have avoided it.

if not, I understand. I didn't play it until I got in the frat. We played that shit like it was a religion with the homies, sorors and whoever else was at the House for hours and hours at a time.

Trey

I play joker joker duece duece most of the time because that's what most are accustomed to, but when it's with the OGs it's always ace down. You know them niggas, can crossboard through regular conversation.

DominoKid

When people put Justin in with Macklemore I just smh...

Dude seems to really appreciate his influences. I got mad respect for dude and I never typically put him in the same sentence as Elvis or Iggy if its to deride the latter. There's appropriation and there's appreciation, I'd like to think Justin Timberlake appreciates.

yeah Justin got that Al Green cosign. he good.

justin has that "singing with 80s Michael Jackson" posthumous co-sign

that seals it brehs

He probably drops the n-word around Timbaland and he co-signs like "nah, you good my nigga"

Some of my fondest college memories is Spades play, while watchin one of the bruhs rolling a blunt at a table of mixed company with someone watching reruns of Chappelle Show on TV and someone else pulling the Grey Goose out of the freezer.

did you go to college? if so, I don't understand how you could have avoided it.

if not, I understand. I didn't play it until I got in the frat. We played that shit like it was a religion with the homies, sorors and whoever else was at the House for hours and hours at a time.

Not something we played at uni, blackjack (not 21) was our card game of choice.

And no Slayven, thankfully I haven't.

Besides being called mediocre how is J. Cole's album lol

See the bolded. I'm mad the Wet Dreamz beat was wasted with those trash ass lyrics. Worst part is I really use to fuck with Cole especially as a dude out of the Carolinas. But nigga is just stagnant as a West Nile mosquito infested puddle at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom