• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Don't even get me started on the "romance" in this series. A bunch of 13 year old girls obsessing over some dudes who don't notice/care about them. Post time skip, they're "in love" and they all finally marry the dude they've been stalking since their early teen years.

Just typing that made me shudder.

Ikr? The other day I saw someone say that Naruto and Hinata were a great romance. I hadn't laughed so hard in a while. Yeah, stalker love is all the rage. #dying

Is it mandatory that every Shonen protag has a chick as part of the main ensemble that has an unconfessed love for said protag and that everyone but the protag can see it?

Is it mandatory that every Shonen protag has a chick as part of the main ensemble that has an unconfessed love for said protag and that everyone but the protag can see it?

not really true, Hunter x Hunter is the only other one that I can think of that fits. Well One Piece if you add in Boa Hancock (but she isnt part of the main crew)

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Well, in YYH, Yusuke and Keiko always liked it each other and it was always acknowledged by both iirc. There was only one of the one sided pairings in there and shockingly, they didn't end up together. That was Yukina and Kuwabara. At least I think they didn't.

YYH rising above as always.

not really true, Hunter x Hunter is the only other one that I can think of that fits. Well One Piece if you add in Boa Hancock (but she isnt part of the main crew)

Bleach and another recent popular anime I can think of but I'm not name-dropping because of possible spoilers are two others I can think of off the top of my head. Let me clarify: let's expand "main ensemble" to "anyone who's joined the protag's party in-story for more than a single episode."

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
YYH is indeed a shining diamond and an excellent outlier when compared to a lot of things. It does have it's share of disappointments but I feel like they're nothing compared to the competition.

jWILL253

Banned
Is it mandatory that every Anime/Manga protag has a chick as part of the main ensemble that has an unconfessed love for said protag and that everyone but the protag can see it?

FTFY.

But, hey. At least they didn't pull some DBZ shit and just pull out the Vegeta+Bulma angle out the fucking blue with no character development whatsoever, and the worst reveal ever.

"Hey, I'm Trunks and I'm from the future! Also, yeah, mom and dad over there are gonna bang here pretty soon, lol."

EDIT: Also, I really fucking hated the rest of that moment. How the fuck you gonna let this random asshole show up, while the guy partially responsible for destroying Namek is about to rek some shit, and you cut him in half?

I swear that show went downhill after that moment. Even the Cell Saga couldn't save it; they took Gohan after his moment of glory, and made him ain't shit just to prop up Goku again.

Goku is the John Cena of anime.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
YYH is indeed a shining diamond and an excellent outlier when compared to a lot of things. It does have it's share of disappointments but I feel like they're nothing compared to the competition.

Agreed. Namely, it's rushed ending was disappointing, but otherwise it did things that were fun. Also, while there weren't many women fighters in the series, at least Togashi didn't boast the non fighters as something they weren't, and they were useful in other ways. Botan was a great sidekick and Yukina was very effective in Hiei's development when both of them would have been waifu bait in Naruto. YYH set shounen standards for me. That's why I'm very disgusted with Naruto.

Also, Genkai and Mukuro were GOAT.

Edit: it's worth mentioning there's plenty of shounen that is fantastic even with the typical crush on mc patterns, I.e. Rurouni Kenshin, etc.

Well, in YYH, Yusuke and Keiko always liked it each other and it was always acknowledged by both iirc. There was only one of the one sided pairings in there and shockingly, they didn't end up together. That was Yukina and Kuwabara. At least I think they didn't.

YYH rising above as always.

Pretty sure Yusuke and Keiko ended up together.

ReiGun

Bleach did well with romance by utterly ignoring it. When Kubo introduced a romantic angle, he pretty much destroyed Orihime as a character.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Or they could stop trying to make the romance so prevalent. Most people live their lives and meet many different people we come to love and lose and move on from. Usually, we place more importance on growing into ourselves and experiencing life (with other people) than obsessing over a single entity in our lives. Why there's this warped idea of romance is beyond me.

Samurai Champloo did it right. Very few others I can think of atm

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Or they could stop trying to make the romance so prevalent. Most people live their lives and meet many different people we come to love and lose and move on from. Usually, we place more importance on growing into ourselves and experiencing life (with other people) than obsessing over a single entity in our lives. Why there's this warped idea of romance is beyond me.

Samurai Champloo did it right. Very few others I can think of atm
Exactly. The bolded is what I would like to see more of. People are going to create fanfiction and start their own ships and shit regardless of what you do on the show. Instead of stooping your writing to that level or creating 1-dimensional characters to fill a checkbox of "protagonist's girl", focus on something else. There's enough inept romance subplots out there and there is sure as hell enough fan service, so nothing of substance is really lost by not having that as a focus point.

Ishikuma you should watch GITS. It's a classic.

I know you are old, but damn. Good reference though

Also this

Pusha T capitalizes on a public outcry from Lil Wayne

Never let a serious crisis go to waste - Rob Emanuel

Had to search what outcry you're talking about and damn. I mean I always knew Wayne was a prisoner to Baby, but always thought Wayne was fine with it because birdman was his "pa" and shit, I mean dude has been a voluntary prisoner to Baby since what? 98? Now he's tired of the fuckery too. First Tyga complaining (not that his wack ass matters) and now Wayne is complaining.

$30 says Wayne signs with RocNation =\

Beginning of the end…good.

Sales clerk lady 1: Not gonna call you a nerd, but that Ninja Gaiden game looked so corny
mjlol.png

Me: girl stop
comeon.png

Sales clerk lady 2: What!? That game is awesome, its better than God of War.
krs.png

Me: You fight ninjas, you fight demons, heck you even fight demonic ninjas!
dwill.png

Sales clerk lady 2: and Satan!
krs.png
krs.png
krs.png

Sales clerk lady 1: wow ok
5I5s8.png

Sales clerk lady 2: ok that'll be $18.21 will that be all sir
mjcry1.png

Me: yeah
mjcry1.png

Amirox type the word rape (on accident), and gets to come back. *****_ makes a vague reference, and he's stuck tryin'a Knuckle-jump outta the infinite void.

#ForumingWhileWhite
please don't delete me! In case of emergency my last message is Fuck Ubisoft so says Prototype Viktor the anti-Yves

Merc_

The strangest thing about the romances in Harry Potter/Naruto is how they meet the person they end up marrying when they are children. I feel like most folks don't meet their SO until they're out of high school or in college. At least that's how it was with the people I knew anyway.

Sales clerk lady 1: Not gonna call you a nerd, but that Ninja Gaiden game looked so corny
mjlol.png

comeon.png

krs.png

dwill.png

krs.png
krs.png
krs.png

5I5s8.png

mjcry1.png

mjcry1.png

imagine if you were picking up bayonetta

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Exactly. The bolded is what I would like to see more of. People are going to create fanfiction and start their own ships and shit regardless of what you do on the show. Instead of stooping your writing to that level or creating 1-dimensional characters to fill a checkbox of "protagonist's girl", focus on something else. There's enough inept romance subplots out there and there is sure as hell enough fan service, so nothing of substance is really lost by not having that as a focus point.

Yep. Although I wanted to make it clear, it's okay to start off with married couples or with someone having a crush because it's normal but it's also normal to take a different route and focus on world building and individual development. In YYH, Kuwabara first really liked Botan, but he moved on to Yukina later (and didn't get neither lol). However, Kuwabara had his main purpose of being a significant factor in Yusuke developing, and he was his own character too. (I really loved that talk he and Yusuke had before he went to the Otherworld, very endearing)

Fact is, crushes don't always last, so characters need something to fall back on. And keeping romance bare or simple is very effective for shounen. We read for the action and story telling, not for convoluted romance disasters.

You should watch it! The movie is my favourite film ever and Stand Alone Complex is awesome.

Ishikuma you should watch GITS. It's a classic.

Ishikuma?! Dammit

Sure thing tho, I'll give it a look once I get around to finishing Revolutionary Girl Utena.

mjlol.png

comeon.png

krs.png

dwill.png

krs.png
krs.png
krs.png

5I5s8.png

mjcry1.png

mjcry1.png

now try it with Hyperdimension Neptunia

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Man moris you weren't kidding about Azealia Banks. She might as well scream from the rooftops "NO ONE LIKE ME OR ASSOCIATE WITH ME EVER!" I feel like she really doesn't even know the what fuck she's talking about. She just shits all random thoughts and throws insults onto celebrity hashtags on twitter and calls it a day.

"Rapper" Azealia Banks "defends" Bill Cosby

*****_, Labor, and Noobsauce. All got got. Them motorscooters fighting Spekkio getting Lightning, Ice and Fire right now. Real talk the Black Omen is floating over our heads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom