• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Thats the rub, Deadpool is cool in bites, but 90 plus minutes? I rather lick the floor of a NYC bus station.

Thats the bite.

I can watch a deadpool movie

Not a deadpool TV show.

A few years later boom, nother 90 minutes. Its like renewing your driver license except it expires in less time and has fart jokes.

Mumei

I can give you the white perspective from a dude who works in an office with 14 other white folks.

Nobody has said a word about it, and media is doing a "great" job of keeping it suppressed. There is nothing in my day to day that is affected at all. I'd say for white America, the oblivious white America in Oklahoma at least, it's going to take a hell of a lot more straws. And that's a shame, because these are unbelievably horrific injustices and just a drop in the bucket. It's upsetting to me that I DON'T hear any talk about it, on any opinion either way. It's just indifference, and it bothers me. I'm the only one who brought it up, and the only person who gave a shit was one of the women here who feels the government is poisoning us regularly, trying to inject nanomachines in our blood, and more.

You may not really have been asking about what white America feels in the midwest, but right now, almost nothing, and it's a fucking shame. It's that old "not my problem" thing where people don't give a shit unless it's affecting them, and it's upsetting.

The reaction when I mentioned Ferguson was "people are still doing that?" and genuine surprise.

Same. When Ferguson came up at Thanksgiving, the dominant observations were:

a) Paternalistic observations that rioting is bad, in that obnoxious, "That's not how you get what you want" way.
b) Emphasis on Michael Brown's theft of cigarillos and his aggressiveness towards the officer
c) Being upset by the media's treatment of Ferguson, in the sense that it treated the police officer unfairly

What was lacking was any comprehension or empathy. There were acknowledgments of the limits of their knowledge, that they didn't understand things, that they hadn't been aware of things (because I brought up reasons why people were upset) - but they demonstrated no real independent interest in alleviating their own ignorance.

For me, Deadpool's best appearances are with another character or group of characters (Uncanny X-Force, Cable & Deadpool). He's a good character, I just don't think he's an interesting one on his own.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Which explains all the interest from anarchists, Occupiers and concerned white people.

^"the world"

international orgs weren't making their presence known because another black kid got shot. they were mad about the police overstep and good old american hypocrisy

Slayven

For me, Deadpool's best appearances are with another character or group of characters (Uncanny X-Force, Cable & Deadpool). He's a good character, I just don't think he's an interesting one on his own.
RIP Copycat
Not sure who that is. Is she any good?

Well that too.

I mean I cannot roll with 'deadpool' and his 4th wall crap.

Spider-Woman_v1_1.png

No, more boring than Captain Marvel.

Village

I mean I cannot roll with 'deadpool' and his 4th wall crap.

I experience it enough where its funny.

Like you should not be subscribed to a Deadpool book, but occasional reading movies and video game appearances satisfy me enough so I am not annoyed with him.

It also helps I love the concept of a character shitting on how comic books are stupid so hard, that Spiderman becomes a strait man. And it exists in a world where people are trying to be serious to constantly remind you how stupid comic books are.

Wrote this thing about all the random black people in the background of Dragon Age Inquisition. Pretty awesome because it's a thing that rarely happens.

Figured the family would appreciate it.

Bleach did well with romance by utterly ignoring it. When Kubo introduced a romantic angle, he pretty much destroyed Orihime as a character.

I was wondering why Sub brought up Bleach. Orihime is simping something fierce. Ichigo barely knows she's alive.

G-Fex

Carol Danvers is the least interesting Marvel ever.

In either Marvel or DC.

She doesn't seem interesting at all, not sure what's all the fuss to get her in the movies.

I'd rather see another marvel female instead.
I experience it enough where its funny.

Like you should not be subscribed to a Deadpool book, but occasional reading movies and video game appearances satisfy me enough so I am not annoyed with him.

It also helps I love the concept of a character shitting on how comic books are stupid so hard, that Spiderman becomes a strait man. And it exists in a world where people are trying to be serious to constantly remind you how stupid comic books are.

Well, comic books can get to that point of being too serious, least that's how I see it with Marvel. Not sure if DC is the same way, I haven't read comics in a while.

akira28

Spiderwoman is cool. Boring means you can throw them into any situation and they will fit somewhere. Secret Wars, bam. Spiderwoman is there. Why? Who knows, but as long as she's there she can dodge some energy blasts and swish her sexy hair around a bit.

Village

She doesn't seem interesting at all, not sure what's all the fuss to get her in the movies.

I'd rather see another marvel female instead.

Well, comic books can get to that point of being too serious, least that's how I see it with Marvel. Not sure if DC is the same way, I haven't read comics in a while.

I don't mind comic books taking themselves seriously, hell I will advocate that the sonic comic books are the best thing sonic has produced in constant quality since 2009, and are just good comic books in general. Since about 09, some stuff happens in them books. And that's about a bunch of neon colored anthropomorphic animals that go fast sometimes.

I just like it when characters are silly sometimes, and I like it even more when people just go with it. For example, its one of my issues with GTAV, I love LOVE GTA games and GTAV. I have no issues with GTA trying to take itself seriously. That said, I did not like it in GTAV when they kept trying to interject this whole " shits going down in the hood " narrative into Franklin's narrative. The best part of Franklin's story is Franklin experiencing weird shit and upperclass and crazy ass people being a very trusting strait man. Learning about the world, figuring out he has a weird ability to talk to animals, also aliens maybe. Hell Franklin story should have left the hood when he left the hood, if they weren't going to expand on that narrative at all, they should have left it there. He should have taken Lamar with him they should have moved it to that house together like roommates and they should have went on crazy ass adventures together with Lamar getting himself in trouble with Franklin's money. But I'm rambling, I am appreciate of silly things when they are in the middle of things sort of serious and vise versa.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I live in NYC and if I weren't aware of all this already, my week would've gone by like nothing happened. I've had to make an effort and seek out info to figure out the recent developments. Most regular folk don't know nor care, even here in the city where it happened. There is no coming revolution.

Even in NYC? And here I thought MAYBE part of the reason why absolutely nothing is happening, save social media, is because I live in Hicksville, USA (Tulsa)

I don't know what to do to make people aware, to make them care. I do my goddamned best but people are just completely indifferent.

G-Fex

I don't mind comic books taking themselves seriously, hell I will advocate that the sonic comic books are the best thing sonic has produced in constant quality since 2009, and are just good comic books in general. Since about 09, some stuff happens in them books. And that's about a bunch of neon colored anthropomorphic animals that go fast sometimes.

I just like it when characters are silly sometimes, and I like it even more when people just go with it. For example, its one of my issues with GTAV, I love LOVE GTA games and GTAV. I have no issues with GTA trying to take itself seriously. That said, I did not like it in GTAV when they kept trying to interject this whole " shits going down in the hood " narrative into Franklin's narrative. The best part of Franklin's story is Franklin experiencing weird shit and upperclass and crazy ass people being a very trusting strait man. Learning about the world, figuring out he has a weird ability to talk to animals, also aliens maybe. Hell Franklin story should have left the hood when he left the hood, if they weren't going to expand on that narrative at all, they should have left it there. He should have taken Lamar with him they should have moved it to that house together like roommates and they should have went on crazy ass adventures together with Lamar getting himself in trouble with Franklin's money. But I'm rambling, I am appreciate of silly things when they are in the middle of things sort of serious and vise versa.

That sounds really interesting. wish I had gtav.

Probably can't, my HDD on both systems are abysmally small.

Slayven

Carol Danvers is the least interesting Marvel ever.

In either Marvel or DC.
Nah

Spiderwoman is cool. Boring means you can throw them into any situation and they will fit somewhere. Secret Wars, bam. Spiderwoman is there. Why? Who knows, but as long as she's there she can dodge some energy blasts and swish her sexy hair around a bit.

She falls flat in everything.

Village

That sounds really interesting. wish I had gtav.

Probably can't, my HDD on both systems are abysmally small.

If you ever have the opportunity obtain it, its a very good video game. But you can see where like the story could have been sillier, for the better.

Its kinda what I fear about 343 with halo, I hope they don't take all the silly out of it. Halo has some canon, silly ass shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom