• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned

You've seriously never heard of him? Music video turned director. Training Day, Shooter, The Equalizer. He's pretty accomplished as far as action films are concerned, and while he hasn't created anything deep (Southpaw sounds interesting though), he's always good for an entertaining film.

I mentioned it in the other thread, but Ryan Coogler (director of Fruitvale) is an interesting choice.

You've seriously never heard of him? Music video turned director. Training Day, Shooter, The Equalizer. He's pretty accomplished as far as action films are concerned, and while he hasn't created anything deep (Southpaw sounds interesting though), he's always good for an entertaining film.

I mentioned it in the other thread, but Ryan Coogler (director of Fruitvale) is an interesting choice.

He did Training Day? Hm.

DominoKid

B1KJl6CIcAEz29Z.jpg

Trey

they're supposed to be but kishimoto is trash at developing characters.

trash is an understatement. The nigga doesn't even have character, he has rote entities that you wind up and they spit the same bullshit out. No matter the contexts, these motherfuckers do not change.

ReiGun

Kubo still the gawd of issues-long fights between characters you don't give a fuck about. Dude will have a character be in two issues then be like "Yup. Definitely spending the next three months on this guy fighting some random mook/Lt. Captain No. 7. The streets gon love it."

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
trash is an understatement. The nigga doesn't even have character, he has rote entities that you wind up and they spit the same bullshit out. No matter the contexts, these motherfuckers do not change.

This is a fact. All these characters, had they been under another storyteller, would have been far beyond the bullshit and actually made some changes.

Naruto and Sakura should have let Sasuke go a long time ago and moved on being happy with everyone else they cared for. They're the main culprits I think of but everyone needed to change, but they're not as important as the frickin main characters.

This is a fact. All these characters, had they been under another storyteller, would have been far beyond the bullshit and actually made some changes.

Naruto and Sakura should have let Sasuke go a long time ago and moved on being happy with everyone else they cared for. They're the main culprits I think of but everyone needed to change, but they're not as important as the frickin main characters.

I have to say I was disgusted when Sasuke showed up and Sakura was immediately reduced to 12-year old status again

ReiGun

I find Ino's simping over Sasuke to be especially egregious. I don't think he said two words to her in the entire manga.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I have to say I was disgusted when Sasuke showed up and Sakura was immediately reduced to 12-year old status again

Yeah, that was downright unacceptable. There really was no reason for that, nor for Naruto to start heralding he and Sasuke as best friends. Jfc, he has tried to kill both of them on numerous occasions and they pretend it never happened.

Naruto: it's not abuse if they're your best friend ~ Believe it!

@Reigun

I was gonna mention that too. Ino loving Sasuke made no damn sense and still doesn't.

End of the day, it's written for 12 year old boys, so I can't be too hard on the actual story telling. However, I feel obligated to clown anyone seeing any sort of depth in the story or the relationships.

Kubo still the gawd of issues-long fights between characters you don't give a fuck about. Dude will have a character be in two issues then be like "Yup. Definitely spending the next three months on this guy fighting some random mook/Lt. Captain No. 7. The streets gon love it."

Everyone who still reads Bleach and likes it thinks he's just writing for the full Volume at this point. A lot of people think Bleach is better read at once than every week fighting some Quincy Lucha Libre guy.

ReiGun

I try to give passes for something being for kids, but then I'm just like "If kids are going to be reading this stuff anyway, I wish it could at least be good." No one's expecting it to be Shakespeare, but the way Kishi just botched the very simple but effective groundwork he laid in Part One is astounding.

Kubo too, but I think Kubo just got to a place where he realized he just wanted to draw cool shit and started to just build a minimal story around. So I'm easier on him than Kishi who is still really trying to tell a story here.

Kishimoto's treatment of his female characters is nothing short of heinous.

TenTen and Temari were the best of the younger ones. The former was inspired by other female ninja to be great (Tsunade) instead of a man, and the latter was a certified G. So of course, we barely saw them.

Furyous

That Naruto panel tho. I really want to see the fuckery that comes out of this ending

What Naruto panel?

Had few people try to rob me by claiming they were looking for someone else and could I please open the door because they couldn't hear me. I cursed them out and dared them to try to break in because I have something that can cure their affliction. These were thugs from good homes trying to test me because they noticed the mass amount of Amazon Prime shipments coming to my door. Run up on me, please. I remember one time I'm walking home from the grocery store and this white woman stops her vehicle and glares at me like she's ready for that noise. This was around the time Trayvon got killed so needless to say she was about to get that work if need be. Long story short she backed off after some encouragement from me to express her complete disdain as I got closer to her.

Kubo too, but I think Kubo just got to a place where he realized he just wanted to draw cool shit and started to just build a minimal story around. So I'm easier on him than Kishi who is still really trying to tell a story here.

Nah Kubo likes really long drawn out conclusions and reveals which in his medium is unnecessary. Dude still has a ...."solid" plot it just gets lost with all the other shit he tends to do. Mostly his introduction of characters and slow pacing. Its not really him just drawing cool shit. Dude is mad consistent in his plotting and he does remember mostly everything he's written.

What Naruto panel?

Had few people try to rob me by claiming they were looking for someone else and could I please open the door because they couldn't hear me. I cursed them out and dared them to try to break in because I have something that can cure their affliction. These were thugs from good homes trying to test me because they noticed the mass amount of Amazon Prime shipments coming to my door. Run up on me, please. I remember one time I'm walking home from the grocery store and this white woman stops her vehicle and glares at me like she's ready for that noise. This was around the time Trayvon got killed so needless to say she was about to get that work if need be. Long story short she backed off after some encouragement from me to express her complete disdain as I got closer to her.

Furyous is a peaceful brand

Trey

ITenTen and Temari were the best of the younger ones. The former was inspired by other female ninja to be great (Tsunade) instead of a man, and the latter was a certified G. So of course, we barely saw them.

Every single female's main motivation was centered around a man, aside from Tsunade, whose largest defining trait was the trauma she incurred due to her husband dying.

Kishi didn't put much thought into them.

I require a diagram of where you were and where the thieves were.

Village

It actually makes sense for naruto to be tore up over sasuke.

Sakura still doesn't really... have a justifiable reason.

Both them dudes are two people the ninja system of child warefare, lack of proper psychological, violence have spit out. Sasuke a bit more than naruto, who got set up since child hood.

Malyse

Well that tag is less awful than I expected. I'm okay with this.
though my ocd will forever be bothered by the space being part of the hyperlink.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It actually makes sense for naruto to be tore up over sasuke.

Sakura still doesn't really... have a justifiable reason.

Both them dudes are two people the ninja system of child warefare, lack of proper psychological, violence have spit out. Sasuke a bit more than naruto, who got set up since child hood.

I completely understand why Naruto cares about Sasuke (and I understand Sakura having difficulty growing up from a childhood crush) but I feel like these are issues that should have been resolved long before the ending of the manga, that's where I'm annoyed by it.

In the hands of another storyteller, Naruto and Sakura would have understood how far gone Sasuke was after he started killing folks left and right for bullshit reasons he didn't even understand. They could have still cared but the average person doesn't condone even a friend fucking up in the worst circumstances. It would have been more believable if Kishimoto handled it like they were the average person.

He should have had the two of them, and Kakashi discuss the situation together and come to a reasonable decision~ be it they will let Sasuke go altogether, or they will do what they can for him if he seeks them out/shows potential to improve ala Gaara. But Sasuke hasn't.

Sasuke has no damn remorse for anything. And I totally do not buy this bond excuse because he has tried to kill all of them (Kakashi included) numerous times. The average person would have dropped them at some point. Once that incident happened when Sakura decided to kill Sasuke, that should have been the last straw. He had thrown all of them for a loop in desperation. It was too ugly situation and that is where they should have wished Sasuke all the luck and allowed him to go off on his rampage until he realized how much he missed them. I can't believe it's somehow deemed acceptable to force change out of someone, but that's what's going on with Sasuke.

And I will say this: I feel the whole reason why Sakura is constantly being forced (without any reason) to confront her feelings for Sasuke is Kishimoto desperately trying to make her relevant regarding the whole situation. If Sakura stopped this nonsense, the plot would revolve around Sasuke and Naruto, but Kishimoto likes to pretend it's about Team 7. Think about it, she gave up trying to save Sasuke at one point but then she's gotta be forced back in the middle somehow because.... reasons.

She has no reason. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some 360 turn end manga with a result that will piss off a lot of people.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
At this point, Sakura needs to smash Sasuke's heart out of his chest while Naruto and Hinata ride off into the sunset.

The first part is cool, the second, Yuck.

I can't support pairing people with stalkers and especially not with someone who has no life of their own outside of obsessing over someone.

Sorry, I've had friends who have had mad crushes on me and it felt like they were somehow under the impression that being the best dating option (since some guys I liked when I was younger were scum) meant I owed them a date.

Ugh, makes me uncomfortable as hell to think about.

The first part is cool, the second, Yuck.

I can't support pairing people with stalkers and especially not with someone who has no life of their own outside of obsessing over someone..

Not even if Hinata puts in work on Madara? lol

I know the series is going to end with a whimper, kind of sucks. I think the movie comes out here next month

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Omg LOL

Also, I'm mean for this but Hinata reminds me of a lot of GAFfers. Watching somebody from afar for years before even attempting to be friends, pls responding them, and definitely, "How do I get this person to talk to me~ they say I'm creepy! Does that mean I'm a go?"

I mean, she's no different than them. Taking a person's kind gestures as romantic and doing ridiculous stunts for their attention that still warrants little more than a possible display of friendship in their eyes. Creepy.

Edit: Also, I do appreciate a character like that being made. As a feminist, I look for equal representation, and Hinata is an example that women can be creepy stalkers too. Stalking ain't cool, be it a girl or boy.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
DreamDrop you earned every letter of that one.
has anyone cracked the code on the madness of Bish's tags?
They almost always relate to something you've said or done. Some are more or less obscure then others but it isn't too difficult to crack the code if you think about it. The basic premise is usually they appear at a later time then when you said the remarks that inspired them. I'm 85% sure mine is from when I was talking about OkCupid and my supreme dislike of bullshit small talk.

Omg LOL

Also, I'm mean for this but Hinata reminds me of a lot of GAFfers. Watching somebody from afar for years before even attempting to be friends, pls responding them, and definitely, "How do I get this person to talk to me~ they say I'm creepy! Does that mean I'm a go?"

I mean, she's no different than them. Taking a person's kind gestures as romantic and doing ridiculous stunts for their attention that still warrants little more than a possible display of friendship in their eyes. Creepy.

Edit: Also, I do appreciate a character like that being made. As a feminist, I look for equal representation, and Hinata is an example that women can be creepy stalkers too. Stalking ain't cool, be it a girl or boy.

Ninjesus gonna end up alone or part of the matrix

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Naruto basically ended during that first major fight between Naruto and Saske after the Chunin exam and Gaara arc. It was never going to get more complex or mature than that. And none of the characters have changed at all since. But honestly we're all too old to be expecting more out of shounen, don't you think?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Yu Yu Hakusho spoiled me with it's Shounen epicness. I have a bad habit of expecting the same from others haha

It sucks, I grew up on mostly Shounen and I love them, but Naruto has soured them for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom