• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto basically ended during that first major fight between Naruto and Saske after the Chunin exam and Gaara arc. It was never going to get more complex or mature than that. And none of the characters have changed at all since. But honestly we're all too old to be expecting more out of shounen, don't you think?

Jiraiya and the Pain arc had some good points too, but it's mostly just to know how the story ends.

There's some really good manga out now that will probably never get localized :(

Trey

Naruto basically ended during that first major fight between Naruto and Saske after the Chunin exam and Gaara arc. It was never going to get more complex or mature than that. And none of the characters have changed at all since. But honestly we're all too old to be expecting more out of shounen, don't you think?

If Gurren lagann can do okay characters that grow and learn and whatnot, I think it's within the grasp of all anime and manga stories.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yu Yu Hakusho spoiled me with it's Shounen epicness. I have a bad habit of expecting the same from others haha

It sucks, I grew up on mostly Shounen and I love them, but Naruto has soured them for me...

thats a shame. i still get enjoyment out of basic ass shounen stories. although some of them are starting to run together on the sameness tip.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921700

photo-main.jpg

One of the problems with shounen manga, aside from literally being marketed to young boys, is the author and writer are the same person, and remain the same throughout. Some people improve, some stagnate, and some actually get worse.

Malyse

But one piece.

Mortemis

Banned
Shonen manga should be the dictionary definition of having to weed through the garbage to find the gems. There's just too much shit out there that its just too rare these days for a good series to show up.

Anyways y'all gonna be on the evolve alpha? Got my code a little while ago.

Shonen manga should be the dictionary definition of having to weed through the garbage to find the gems. There's just too much shit out there that its just too rare these days for a good series to show up.

Anyways y'all gonna be on the evolve alpha? Got my code a little while ago.

Is it too late to get in? I didn't even know about them until yesterday.

Village

Completely valid and reasonable points about naruto .

While I would Naruto aint the type of homie to ever give up on a dude, you right about sakura. He has been trying to make her relevant the entire time, it got so bad over time he made her into just a horrible character, a horrible person he had to basically apologize for in the manga. I kind of feel the same way sasuke, like " oh sasuke is best friend " no shikimaru is, sasuke is someone he feels sorry for and cares about.

I kinda agree naruto cares a bit too much, and sakura is ... still a nothing. However to give credit where its due a lot of the crazy mofo's epically sasuke , sasuke is like one of the most well explained justified crazy mofo's in naruto... and kind of in a lot of manga. This dude, is... justified in his nuts-ness, a lot of times naruto tries to address larger issues, and sometimes those things get walked over but sasuke... is the posterboy for that sort of thing.

Like if you want a detailed, " why sasuke is justified in being a wack-job " I can hit you up with it. Like you sitting here like " man I'm sasuke is such a asshole, why is he such an ass hole "I can give you the explanation, not now though. I have to sleep, the explanation involves skeleton witnesses though so have fun with that.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Agreed good long-term Shounen is needle in a haystack territory. I also prefer the simple approach to storytelling, usually it is good when things stay self contained and don't bloat too much. But then popularity happens, and I don't hate any mangaka for doing what they can to get paid. TTGL was great and I like One Piece but have yet to read or watch any Bleach. I almost want to say YYH > DBZ but I haven't rewatched Yu in a while, could be nostalgia.

Went to the Blazers game with Timedog, while he was off getting food some woman insisted he was a basketball player and that she take a pic with him. So he'll be on some random woman's social media crap tonight.

Agreed good long-term Shounen is needle in a haystack territory. I also prefer the simple approach to storytelling, usually it is good when things stay self contained and don't bloat too much. But then popularity happens, and I don't hate any mangaka for doing what they can to get paid. TTGL was great and I like One Piece but have yet to read or watch any Bleach. I almost want to say YYH > DBZ but I haven't rewatched Yu in a while, could be nostalgia.

YYU is > DBZ

Like legit. I Still prefer DBZ though.

That's the truth tho...

JohnDoe

Banned
Jiraiya and the Pain arc had some good points too, but it's mostly just to know how the story ends.

There's some really good manga out now that will probably never get localized :(

Kingdom :(

Dat feel when no localization and no (high quality) anime.

Went to the Blazers game with Timedog, while he was off getting food some woman insisted he was a basketball player and that she take a pic with him. So he'll be on some random woman's social media crap tonight.

Who did she think he was, Joakim Noah? Random Woman stay losing.

Revanche Pet Peeves: Woke up this morning after getting some long overdue rest only to find that I missed an emergency call at 4am. It just so happen a female friend of mine was at work and happen to stay in a bad area and got a window busted out in her house while the kids were upstairs asleep. She got 4 girls. She salty, haven't slept and the landlord ain't doing shit. The cops are filing a report and that's as far as its going with it. I honestly cannot think of a logical course of action that will be beneficial to anyone involved that won't require some sacrifice. It's not gonna be good at all. What a way to wake up. She is currently sitting in her crib, with a 9 on the counter waiting. Her dog is pacing the house. Man, I wanna just say fuck it all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I got one for XB1 just by being part of the Dash Preview group. I figure I'll try it out and then back to Sunset Overdrive, where my heart belongs.

Same here, but I'm just not interested in Evolve. Not yet I guess. Debatable if I'll even download it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yu Yu Hakusho spoiled me with it's Shounen epicness. I have a bad habit of expecting the same from others haha

It sucks, I grew up on mostly Shounen and I love them, but Naruto has soured them for me...

You should check out Flame of Recca. It's similar but I think Recca has better characters and a better ending.

also Hunter x Hunter which is the Yuyu author's best series

Kreed

Rhythmic linked this in the Street Harassment thread, although he was trying to turn the situation into a "this video deliberately is trying to make black people look bad" situation so that wasn't much of a discussion in regards to the article.

But there's one thing I didn't bring it up in the Street Harassment thread since the director came out and said he had "audio problems" as the reason to there being less white males. I personally thought that it may have been the woman's ethnicity/physical appearance that caused more males of other ethnic groups to try to speak to her. In that article it says she's white, but other personal links are saying she mixed/middle eastern. Regardless she doesn't look like the average US white woman and I thought that was a reason why more men of other ethnic groups were trying to approach her than white males.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's a reason why they're called Sonic's Shitty Friends after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom