• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

YYU is > DBZ

Like legit. I Still prefer DBZ though.

This is it. YYH (and Kenshin) are the type of series where I wouldn't really change anything that happened. DBZ I would change up a few things here and there but I'm very satisfied with the end product and how everything played out. Naruto, I'd just tell Kishi to go back to the Valley of the End fight and start all over because Part 2 needs it.

I like to joke on Naruto and whatnot, but I can't lie: Naruto was the hotness when I was younger. It was actually one of the first animes that I've watched in subbed format.

I remember coming home after school to catch up to the latest chapter in the manga. Admittedly, I am around 200 chapters behind to what's going on right now. I feel like binge reading it all but then I realize that I don't have the time/patience for that right now. I could read a few chapters every few days, really... Will still pour one out when it ends, ha.

Speaking of time, most of my free time after work has gone to playing the Zelda games. I've owned a lot of them but I've never finished them. Since June/July, I've finished (for the first time): Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and most recently Ocarina of Time. I've just started Majora's Mask and this game is fucking spooky, brehs. If I played this game when I was younger I definitely would not want to play it at night time.

Edit: As far as YYH vs DBZ goes... While I prefer the characters and story of YYH, DBZ's legacy pisses all over it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like to joke on Naruto and whatnot, but I can't lie: Naruto was the hotness when I was younger. It was actually one of the first animes that I've watched in subbed format.

I remember coming home after school to catch up to the latest chapter in the manga. Admittedly, I am around 200 chapters behind to what's going on right now. I feel like binge reading it all but then I realize that I don't have the time/patience for that right now. I could read a few chapters every few days, really... Will still pour one out when it ends, ha.

Speaking of time, most of my free time after work has gone to playing the Zelda games. I've owned a lot of them but I've never finished them. Since June/July, I've finished (for the first time): Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and most recently Ocarina of Time. I've just started Majora's Mask and this game is fucking spooky, brehs. If I played this game when I was younger I definitely would not want to play it at night time.

I remember when Bleach started, it was on an off-week for Naruto. Scary how long ago that was. I remember when the newest episode was like, 30. Goddamn I'm old.

Edit: As far as YYH vs DBZ goes... While I prefer the characters and story of YYH, DBZ's legacy pisses all over it.

Have you played Link's Awakening? You should play Link's Awakening. Everyone should play Link's Awakening.

I remember when Bleach started, it was on an off-week for Naruto. Scary how long ago that was. I remember when the newest episode was like, 30. Goddamn I'm old.

I remember when the Bleach started as well and I remember telling my friends, "This shit is going to be big." They shrugged me off and now Bleach's one of the Top 3 series, lol. Bleach's another series where I'm really behind. It's a real bad habit of mine.

And I definitely remember Zoids. It was a rare case because mecha anime usually bore me but I loved that shit.

Have you played Link's Awakening? You should play Link's Awakening. Everyone should play Link's Awakening.
Breh! It was my first Zelda game and I still own the original cart! I got up to the last boss as a kid but never finished it because my save data was erased. I'll finish it for real soon.

Breh! It was my first Zelda game and I still own the original cart! I got up to the last boss as a kid but never finished it because my save data was erased. I'll finish it for real soon.

tumblr_n56e8u8p6X1qff46jo1_500.gif

That game is the pinnacle of Zelda for me, I love all the games since but that was perfect.

Link's Awakening blew my mind as a kid. I only played platformers before touching that game.

I remember not being able to get my sword because those two Sea Urchins were blocking the way. For days I was stuck there because foolishly I'd just walk into them. I even stopped playing the game for a while because of it.

It wasn't until an older kid saw me playing that he showed me that you could hold your shield out and push those Sea Urchins away to get your sword. I didn't even get mad that I wasted so much time there; even though it wasn't a huge puzzle or anything, that sort of problem solving got me loving the series.

Mortemis

Banned
I think I'm just going to ignore any posts that start out with "we should be at a point where". Like "we should be at a point where people don't see race", this shit is used to downplay anything good that comes to any sort of movement.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Link's Awakening is the GOAT handheld Zelda. So much crazy shit you can do in that game, it blew my mind as a kid. My avatar is homage to the real big bad in that game (the shopekeeper). Fucking insta-kill magic if you dare try and steal from him. Even if you don't go back everyone in the game calls you THIEF from that point on. I was shocked at how clever little things like that were in the game.

Link's Awakening is the GOAT handheld Zelda. So much crazy shit you can do in that game, it blew my mind as a kid. My avatar is homage to the real big bad in that game (the shopekeeper). Fucking insta-kill magic if you dare try and steal from him. Even if you don't go back everyone in the game calls you THIEF from that point on. I was shocked at how clever little things like that were in the game.

I would have loved to see that used in Hyrule Warriors! Hell, having him as a secret boss would have been amazing. Nintendo, get this in the sequel!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So, P* threw a rape joke in Bayonetta 2 that only the top tier of people will ever see. lol.

It just had to be
Rodin
making it. lol.

Yea, this is how I feel about the video. I didn't know that about the company that helped make it though. smh.

Still, I didn't even begin to speak on it in the thread, because there are already enough people missing the point, being obtuse, and acting like they're having their rights (privilege) being taken away. Shitty thing to have to take notice of though.

edit: When the shopkeeping breh pulls that thing out on you for stealing, and sends you to the netherrealm. That shit blew my mind when I was younger.

Malyse

So, P* threw a rape joke in Bayonetta 2 that only the top tier of people will ever see. lol.

It just had to be
Rodin
making it. lol.

Yea, this is how I feel about the video. I didn't know that about the company that helped make it though. smh.

Still, I didn't even begin to speak on it in the thread, because there are already enough people missing the point, being obtuse, and acting like they're having their rights (privilege) being taken away. Shitty thing to have to take notice of though.
Tangential, but it's sort of how I feel about FemFreq's Tropes series. Like, a lot of it is basic stuff and sometimes she misses the point, but the pushback is so fucking stupid I dont think its worth it to not support her. If that makes any sense.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
love that gif. she saw ole girl get tossed back and was like 'nah, I'm good.' haha

Crocodile

Shonen manga should be the dictionary definition of having to weed through the garbage to find the gems. There's just too much shit out there that its just too rare these days for a good series to show up.

Anyways y'all gonna be on the evolve alpha? Got my code a little while ago.

I agree but isn't this just Sturgeon law in effect? Plus what with most of us not being young boys anymore so our standards are naturally higher?

One of the problems with shounen manga, aside from literally being marketed to young boys, is the author and writer are the same person, and remain the same throughout. Some people improve, some stagnate, and some actually get worse.

It has its pros and cons. A single author/writer/vision/artists over the course of a title's life makes any individual IP MUCH easier to follow and read any individual Superhero in the West where if you aren't already intimately familiar with particular writers and artists, you have to seek guidance on the internet to even have the faintest idea of which issues you should avoid and which you should read. For better or worse, you always know what you're getting when you open up a volume of Naruto or whatever.

Oldschoolgamer

People giving Naruto shit, but Guardians of the Galaxy might be the worst and most inconsistent thing that I've read in a long ass time.

Oldschoolgamer

If you're reading the...2008 to current one it's crap.

Yes. The past three dealing with the cancerverse...wat

Do they not have editors that give a shit?
These things go beyond continuity error into straight not giving a fuck about the world that was built.
Character motivations switch at the placement of a period.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I still got 8 model kits laying around my house somewhere.

zoid and gundamn model kits were the shit. Sadly most of mines got destroyed by either being irresponsible or damaged threw moves over the years.
still got a berserk fury that I painted red in storage.

I dunno It's pretty easy to rationalize to me.

you gonna swing against a teacher? A person who has a duty to snitch?

Sure, it's illogical as all hell but that's exactly how kids are.

EDIT: ^ Exactly, she says something another kid doesn't like? "Hey remember that time you got bodied by Mr X? That's right, now shut the fuck up."

Mortemis

Banned
I agree but isn't this just Sturgeon law in effect? Plus what with most of us not being young boys anymore so our standards are naturally higher?

I meant more like everything is like that, but shonen manga is the one of the hardest to find good shit. But yeah it could be standards being higher.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
One of the problems with shounen manga, aside from literally being marketed to young boys, is the author and writer are the same person, and remain the same throughout. Some people improve, some stagnate, and some actually get worse.

I think the business side of things is what stifles creativity more than anything. These series just get so big with so many livelihoods tied to them that they just cease to be a personal thing by the author.

Like there's really no series in jump that doesn't drop off in quality towards the backend, despite there being tons of series with really strong openings/first halves

As series pick up in popularity I think the people on the business side make more and more demands of the creators, and a lot of them probably just get tired of it. and it shows in the series. Yu Yu, Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk, Naruto all high profile series where you can tell the author just checked out at the end of it.

There's that and the format. Weekly releases is going to burn out anyone no matter who you are.

I mean you can blame the drop in quality entirely on the author, but I don't think that's really fair when they're being told to continue the series passed their planned ending, or to create or modify characters to sell more merchandise.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
thats a shame. i still get enjoyment out of basic ass shounen stories. although some of them are starting to run together on the sameness tip.

I am slightly enjoying Magi: Labyrinth of Magic. It's got a very fresh setting, unique characters, engaging story and development, and also great art and lore. However, while I love that it's a Shounen not entirely focused around action, I do feel that there's not enough fighting. When the actual fights happen they can take a rather predictable route. Another setback is that there's all these awesome abilities and skills, but they don't seem to be utilized appropriately. Magi is great compared to many Shounen out right now but I would still place it right beside Inuyasha and Trigun for overall appeal. Great series with setbacks that are not really devastating but still apparent.

While I would Naruto aint the type of homie to ever give up on a dude, you right about sakura. He has been trying to make her relevant the entire time, it got so bad over time he made her into just a horrible character, a horrible person he had to basically apologize for in the manga. I kind of feel the same way sasuke, like " oh sasuke is best friend " no shikimaru is, sasuke is someone he feels sorry for and cares about.

I kinda agree naruto cares a bit too much, and sakura is ... still a nothing. However to give credit where its due a lot of the crazy mofo's epically sasuke , sasuke is like one of the most well explained justified crazy mofo's in naruto... and kind of in a lot of manga. This dude, is... justified in his nuts-ness, a lot of times naruto tries to address larger issues, and sometimes those things get walked over but sasuke... is the posterboy for that sort of thing.

Like if you want a detailed, " why sasuke is justified in being a wack-job " I can hit you up with it. Like you sitting here like " man I'm sasuke is such a asshole, why is he such an ass hole "I can give you the explanation, not now though. I have to sleep, the explanation involves skeleton witnesses though so have fun with that.

Actually, I think Sasuke is a rather decent character if not one of the best the series has. He does have a reason to be so fucked up and he doesn't pretend he's anything but a nut job. My problem is how everyone else responds to him. They like to pretend he's somehow not this psycho and that nothing he does is truly evil or fucked up. Even Sasuke thinks their crazy as hell for it.

Sasuke is a prime example of a character developing be it for better or worse. It's everyone around him that is stagnant and dumb. Gaara was another great character for many of the same reasons, a messed up background and being a victim of circumstances but also crazy as hell. Gaara making his drastic change turned him kinda boring but he didn't automatically earn everyone's trust, he died for them as Kazekage and they grew to appreciate him. Meanwhile, Sasuke is technically Gaara going the opposite direction, and yet still people are trying to make excuses for him.

That's all that bothers me regarding the Sauce. I merely wish the other mains got some development that was proportional to their potential.

Agreed good long-term Shounen is needle in a haystack territory. I also prefer the simple approach to storytelling, usually it is good when things stay self contained and don't bloat too much. But then popularity happens, and I don't hate any mangaka for doing what they can to get paid. TTGL was great and I like One Piece but have yet to read or watch any Bleach. I almost want to say YYH > DBZ but I haven't rewatched Yu in a while, could be nostalgia.

Tbh, I've always preferred YYH over DBZ, but that's only because DBZ was a little too much action hahaha

DBZ definitely has more street cred tho.

You should check out Flame of Recca. It's similar but I think Recca has better characters and a better ending.

also Hunter x Hunter which is the Yuyu author's best series

I'll look into it. Thanks. :)

This is it. YYH (and Kenshin) are the type of series where I wouldn't really change anything that happened. DBZ I would change up a few things here and there but I'm very satisfied with the end product and how everything played out. Naruto, I'd just tell Kishi to go back to the Valley of the End fight and start all over because Part 2 needs it.

I dunno, I would change how YYH ended. Leading up to the finale, the series really was struggling. Other than that, I can't recall being bored of any YYH arcs. DBZ had a few I dreaded sitting through... Rurouni Kenshin is another fantastic Shounen. Definitely at the top of my recommendations for people.

And I definitely agree about Part 2 of Naruto. There was simply too many factors that contributed to the series falling apart, but I think Rescue Gaara was a really great arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom