• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

LionPride

Banned
The Inhumans show is just tragic.
If it must air for 8 weeks so I can get 20 straight weeks of SHIELD before it's cancelled and I only have Legion left as a legit quality superhero show, I'll take it

If Arrow maintains quality, that's three

Flash will still be dumb

Legends will still be fun

Supergirl still looks...not good again

The Gifted looks litty tho

Defenders looks...like it exists

And Punisher will be about a fucker crying in his van down by the river

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/06/health/ohio-heroin-opioid-crisis-morgue-full/index.html

Try to read this and let me know what you think. I already have my reaction.

Robert Leahy was sitting on his couch, watching TV, when his wife, Gretchen, walked through the front door.

It was about 10 p.m. She'd left for the grocery store hours earlier. Now, she "bumbled" about the room, Leahy says, incoherent and vacant. He'd seen her like this before.

"What the f**k are you doing?" he asked. "You're high."

After the initial shock wore off, Leahy was angry and embarrassed. He worried about his reputation and what his colleagues at the Clermont County Sheriff's Office would think. He'd been a law enforcement officer for more than a decade, and now he was married to a heroin addict.

He needed to save himself and their young son. He had done all he could to save her.

Just weeks earlier, Gretchen had returned home to Madeira, Ohio, from Crossroads Centre Antigua, an addiction treatment facility founded by musician Eric Clapton. It was one of a handful of times she'd received treatment for opiate addiction in the past five years. Leahy says he spent more than $16,000 -- nearly all of their life savings -- to cover the cost.

And now she was high again.

On September 7, 2005, Leahy filed for divorce and a temporary restraining order. At the time, the US opioid epidemic was in its early stages. Abuse of prescription painkillers was a growing, if hidden, problem, and heroin addiction had yet to ravage rural and suburban America. That would soon change. Nearly 15,000 Americans -- 500 from Ohio alone -- died of an opioid overdose in 2005. In 2015, those numbers soared to 33,000 and 2,700 deaths, respectively.

At first, Leahy could not understand why his wife had let herself become an addict, why she had made that choice. But as he watched her struggle for years to stay clean, his knowledge of addiction matured. He began to see it as a disease in need of treatment and compassion.

ApharmdX

Banned
If it must air for 8 weeks so I can get 20 straight weeks of SHIELD before it's cancelled and I only have Legion left as a legit quality superhero show, I'll take it

Flash will still be dumb

I'm looking forward to Punisher because of the showrunner and Legion is dopeness. AoS has the hype of season 4 behind it so that's gonna be good, I hope. Gifted... I'll wait for reviews.

I don't watch any of the CW DC shows and I'm starting to get really apprehensive about Netflix Marvel's future.
Man, I would kill for a NextWave movie.
It will be a low budget TV show or nothing.

Would love to be wrong, though.

Flash will still be dumb

I really enjoyed Agents of Shield. I wasn't feeling Supergirl and I haven't watched any of the other CW/DC shows.
For the Netflix Marvel shows, I only watched Jessica Jones and Luke Cage...haven't really bothered with other ones.

Slayven

That one female Fox News anchor on CNN quit her job talking about stay tuned for her new career path....she reads the trump news on Facebook.

Like...you know Presidents have term limits? Wallah, if CNN takes her back...

LOL, now i see what youa re talking about. 2017 is not the year for conservative women

Mizerman

That one female Fox News anchor on CNN quit her job talking about stay tuned for her new career path....she reads the trump news on Facebook.

Like...you know Presidents have term limits? Wallah, if CNN takes her back...

Jeffrey Lawd needs to go kick rocks as well. Same with Paris.

LotusHD

Banned

Flash will still be dumb

Still feel Punisher shouldn't have gotten a show.

Village

The Inhumans show is just tragic.

its out?

Still feel Punisher shouldn't have gotten a show.

He's a cool guy with a gun people like.

Why shouldn't he have gotten a show.

I don't like fucking gambit, but if the hell freezes over and gambit becomes popular enough to get a show people want to watch, why in the hell should my disdain of gambit be any factor in general populous demographics. I am by no means better than them, nor do I have enough money to justify that.

Faustek

Ok so about Inhumans. The trailer looked bad but what else has the series down in the crapper as of now? What have I missed.

I don't like fucking gambit, but if the hell freezes over and gambit becomes popular enough to get a show people want to watch, why in the hell should my disdain of gambit be any factor in general populous demographics. I am by no means better than them, nor do I have enough money to justify that.

It was awful how Gambit was constantly creeping over Rogue.

Kreed

? I ain't scared, bro.

Unless I'm missing something...

1WzyseC.jpg

Faustek

its out?

Gambits super power is staying relevant after the 90s - Rob from ComicsExplained.

Slayven

I figured out rick and morty, from episode one what we are seeing i
s the origin of "evil" Morty. He goes to the darkside to stop Rick

Village

Gambits super power is staying relevant after the 90s - Rob from ComicsExplained.

But just enough so people remember he exists, and can trick people with money into investing into him. For them to promptly realize no one actually wants to buy shit with gambit in it.

Johndoey

Banned
I figured out rick and morty, from episode one what we are seeing i
s the origin of "evil" Morty. He goes to the darkside to stop Rick

Yeah Morty is increasingly less willing to put up with the bullshit going on around him.. I love that Morty's slowly become more desensitized to violence as time has gone on.

LotusHD

Banned
He's a really popular character and the Netflix shows have established themselves as the "gritty" side of Marvel, Punisher makes good sense.

I think he's in good hands.

He's a boring ass character, but shit if the Netflix shows end up 3 1/2 for 6

Not that bad I guess

It's not about me not liking the character (I do, well at least the Netflix version), or that I'm not aware that they did it due to him being the popular standout of DD S2.

Just... feels like a character that works best showing up in other shows, like the aforementioned mini-arc in DD S2. Having an entire show to himself just had me thinking "Well... alright then."

Yeah Morty is increasingly less willing to put up with the bullshit going on around him.. I love that Morty's slowly become more desensitized to violence as time has gone on.

The guy used a fantasy roofy on his crush and went on a killing spree in that parody of the Purge.

Johndoey

Banned
It's not about me not liking the character (I do, well at least the Netflix version), or that I'm not aware that they did it due to him being the popular standout of DD S2.

Just... feels like a character that works best showing up in other shows, like the aforementioned mini-arc in DD S2. Having an entire show to himself just had me thinking "Well... alright then."

But even then he's had a decently successful solo book career. As much as I don't care for the character, it's got a solid choice for show-runner, a popular character, a decent lead actor, and a few very well considered story-lines to butcher.

The guy used a fantasy roofy on his crush and went on a killing spree in that parody of the Purge.

Exactly. He's disintegrating as a person and it's great.

Top Bottom