• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

perfectnight said:
Holy shit.. Gerard Smith from Tv On The Radio is dead.

http://www.spin.com/articles/tvotrs-gerard-smith-dies-cancer

God damn. RIP. TVotR is one of my favorite bands ever.

Some songs of theirs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-xRk6llh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xigAXL5e5Kw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWwwcSsSOvc

Been listening to them since HS back in 2005.

Damn, didn't know he was sick.

*plays wolf like me

edit: just realized that's the first song you posted.

Imm0rt4l

Aint nothing much going on over here. Apparently Twista is in town, I might go peep his show, not sure yet. I wouldn't mind just staying in an watching netflix, but like you said, psn is down.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
RIP Gerard Smith

What's up, BlackGAF? Anything special going on right now? Nothing special over here; PSN is down and today was a very uneventful day.

Listening to some Funkadelic. What are some of your favorite Funk tracks? Funkadelic could also be considered Rock. Eddie Hazel was a god on the electric guitar. Eddie Hazel > Jimi Hendrix.

Maggot Brain is one of my favorite albums of all time. The titular track, that I linked, is just so orgasmic.

I don't really listen to Funk. I guess I don't listen to it at all. Its nice to see people that are interested in it.

TacticalFox88 said:
Any writers on Black GAF? Love writing Poetry, Songs, and even....fanfiction.

(Aspiring) Screenwriter here. I never finish anything I start though, I'm always moving to the next best idea for a story/plot. Still have yet to begin writing my entry for this year's Script Frenzy... I focus mostly on Sci-Fi/Drama/Romance (Literally, all smashed up in one script). I also have an unhealthy fascination with dreams.

Imm0rt4l

meh, I don't even game as much as I'd like to. All I play these days is SSF4, none of you guys are seeing me in that btw. Hope to cop that portal 2 soon though.

Imm0rt4l said:
Aint nothing much going on over here. Apparently Twista is in town, I might go peep his show, not sure yet. I wouldn't mind just staying in an watching netflix, but like you said, psn is down.
Damn, I'd check it out if I had the chance.

Lebron said:
XBL is up

*troll face*
MWS Natural said:
lolpsn, you on the wrong system dawg ;)
Shut your ignant asses up. I'm on 360 too. I don't want to play Call of Duty/Halo. >_>

Londa said:
I don't really listen to Funk. I guess I don't listen to it at all. Its nice to see people that are interested in it.
I'd go as far as to say Funk is my second favorite genre of music. So under appreciated. My parents loved some Funk bands and thus I own some nice vinyls that I can't even play lol.

ReiGun

Ain't shit going on here. Resting up after spending all day running at booth at my Uni's block party. Was planning on playing some mahvel 3, but of course psn is down. :/

TacticalFox88 said:
I used to write fanfiction as a kid. Pulling out some of that stuff is embarrassing now. lol I've always been told by teachers and friends that I have a knack for writing, but I can never bring myself to put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) nowadays outside of school projects.

I dabble in SSF4. I haven't touched the game ever since Mahvel got out, though.
There's going to be a tournament in my school for both games as well as Super Smash Bros Brawl (and Melee) next Wednesday. I might as well enter lol.

Edit: I used to write fanfiction as well. I also write some rhymes from time to time, lol. Nothing serious.

DominoKid

TacticalFox88 said:

i write. well i guess you could call it writing. i've more or less scripted out and written a few episodes my dream anime/manga.

i always figured i could just write the story and partner up w/ someone who is artistic

Imm0rt4l

Lebron said:
Fuck SSF4. I'm just sitting here in my XXL white tee playing Madden waiting for the new Madden to come out.

n****s still rockin night gowns?

real talk though I hate it when people ask me what games I play and expect me to say Madden. I don't fuck with sports games.

spindashing said:
I dabble in SSF4. I haven't touched the game ever since Mahvel got out, though.
There's going to be a tournament in my school for both games as well as Super Smash Bros Brawl (and Melee) next Wednesday. I might as well enter lol.

Edit: I used to write fanfiction as well. I also write some rhymes from time to time, lol. Nothing serious.

Yea I heard that wack ass evilore diss, your rhymes are ass cheeks man.

Evilore got ether'd

One of my local newspapers had an article about gentrification and the shifting ratios of minorities to whites in parts of Central Texas and it got me thinking. in Austin, TX, minorities were located mostly on the east side of the interstate. Colloquially, it was known as the East Side. For whites, the name held a negative connotation, but for the folks who grew up there, there was some sense of pride, mainly from the older generations who were able to receive their first house.

I live in a predominantly black neighborhood with a few Mexican families peppered throughout. There's a couple of drug dealers that I can point out. There's some dilapidated houses. Prostitutes walking the streets at night. I shouldn't really talk bad about my neighborhood. Despite the aforementioned things, it's pretty nice. It's mostly peaceful; crazy occurrences rarely happen.

But, in the last few years, young whites have moved in and it blows my mind. I see goths and emos walking the streets sometimes. Dudebros going to this longstanding black club that one of my relatives used to own. I see whites riding past a park on their fixed-gear bikes. Today, I saw hipster with a handlebar mustache walking his dogs in front of a drug dealer's house. They built these new row houses not that far from me.

Those are not the only changes. The city has fixed up a part of the East Side. I've seen condos built that are literally right down the street from the projects. Of course, property taxes are going up and the families who have lived on this side of town have to move further away to other municipalities and towns such as Manor, Del Valle, and Pflugerville. What has been known as the East Side is now known as Central Austin.

I just wanted to write a few words about what I've been seeing in my neighborhood. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Lebron

spindashing said:
Shut your ignant asses up. I'm on 360 too. I don't want to play Call of Duty/Halo. >_>
If only you did, then you could be actually playing something.

CVMfK.png

Also, yes, Hazel > Hendrix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcwEEu9yF7w

heliosRAzi said:
One of my local newspapers had an article about gentrification and the shifting ratios of minorities to whites in parts of Central Texas and it got me thinking. in Austin, TX, minorities were located mostly on the east side of the interstate. Colloquially, it was known as the East Side. For whites, the name held a negative connotation, but for the folks who grew up there, there was some sense of pride, mainly from the older generations who were able to receive their first house.

I live in a predominantly black neighborhood with a few Mexican families peppered throughout. There's a couple of drug dealers that I can point out. There's some dilapidated houses. Prostitutes walking the streets at night. I shouldn't really talk bad about my neighborhood. Despite the aforementioned things, it's pretty nice. It's mostly peaceful; crazy occurrences rarely happen.

But, in the last few years, young whites have moved in and it blows my mind. I see goths and emos walking the streets sometimes. Dudebros going to this longstanding black club that one of my relatives used to own. I see whites riding past a park on their fixed-gear bikes. Today, I saw hipster with a handlebar mustache walking his dogs in front of a drug dealer's house. They built these new row houses not that far from me.

Those are not the only changes. The city has fixed up a part of the East Side. I've seen condos built that are literally right down the street from the projects. Of course, property taxes are going up and the families who have lived on this side of town have to move further away to other municipalities and towns such as Manor, Del Valle, and Pflugerville. What has been known as the East Side is now known as Central Austin.

I just wanted to write a few words about what I've been seeing in my neighborhood. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

One of those dudes who really hates hipsters and has a blog talks about that phenomenon actually a lot actually, I'll try to see if I can find it.

Ah here it is: http://diehipster.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/hey-get-out-of-their-neighborhood/

He has a couple rants like that.

Lebron

Imm0rt4l said:
n****s still rockin night gowns?

real talk though I hate it when people ask me what games I play and expect me to say Madden. I don't fuck with sports games.
Sadly, yes, I still see them walking around time to time. The only sports game I've played recently is 2K11, because I want to style on fools with Jordan. Madden has been sucking for the past decade so I don't fucks with it.

I still swear by NBA Street though. That game ends friendships.

WTF IS GOING ON IN HERE. YOU DUN GOOFED
Blame MvC3

Imm0rt4l said:
Yea I heard that wack ass evilore diss, your rhymes are ass cheeks man.

Evilore got ether'd
Animated avatars are serious business man, I had to get my mic. :lol

heliosRAzi said:
Good post. Snipped for brevity.
Yeah, I'm experiencing a similar thing. For some odd reason, we're getting more Asians in the area. I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining at all (Saw two really hot Asians, whom I assume were of Chinese descent). The area I live in is predominantly black and hispanic.

Lebron said:
Daaaaamn. He was really talented. It's a shame he left his world, but his guitar skills are immortal.

Satchwar said:
wow youre really good
Rapper-Nas-RashaEntertainment.jpg

spindashing said:
Yeah, I'm experiencing a similar thing. For some odd reason, we're getting more Asians in the area.
spray_trollface_copy.png
I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining at all. The area I live in is predominantly black and hispanic.
I'm not complaing either. It's just... weird.

Devolution said:
One of those dudes who really hates hipsters and has a blog talks about that phenomenon actually a lot actually, I'll try to see if I can find it.

Ah here it is: http://diehipster.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/hey-get-out-of-their-neighborhood/

He has a couple rants like that.
Now if this happened, I'd be pissed.

SolKane

heliosRAzi said:

What part of Austin do you live in? Just curious, because I don't live in the city proper but live a little north of there.

Satch

Banned
Half-and-half said:
Hey Black-Gaf, what do you all think about brothas who rock jewelry?

Played out and corny, effeminate, depends?
depends

i say keep it simple with diamond (or rhinestone lol) studs in the lobes

more than that usually looks like overcompensating

Half-and-half said:

A nice watch is all the jewelry I have ever worn, anything else is too flashy for my tastes. Now that I think of it I pretty much don't like anything shiny.

I wear a miniature grandfather clock around my clock. My baseball cap
s bill is encrusted with quartz rocks, and my grill is aluminum.

I be ballin'

The Frankman said:
Black-GAF, what do you think of Vince McMahon not giving a black man a legit title push in awhile?
=( Fuck that shit. You should drop by in here more, man. There are some other brothers that haven't stopped by either.

Half-and-half said:

I think I do fine with a watch and a Jesus Piece.

Lebron

Half-and-half said:

Females still love my chain(when I decide to rock it) cuz I be swaggin'. They gona bury me with that shiz

PSN still down, swag.

JCX

TacticalFox88 said:

I'm an aspiring writer-comedian. Here's a link to a social network parody I wrote: http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/college/funnyfilm/watch/LivinLaVidaLoko

I wrote a feature-length comedy screenplay last year, and I have two short film scripts (one psychological thriller, one murder-mystery). I'm applying to a bunch of different programs so I can hopefully write for TV someday.

Used to write poetry, but got annoyed by slam poetry. I have been published in literary journals at my high school and college.

Half-and-half said:

It depends. If I see a person wearing shit like this:
jRjh9.jpg

I just shake my head. Nothing wrong with a modest gold chain or watch, but some people just go too far and end up looking ridiculous. Its even worse when you know that the person spent maybe one year's salary on a watch crammed with real diamonds. I just think "misplaced priorities/terrible with money"

killakiz said:
What shampoo do you guys use.

usually the department store brand or head and shoulders if I feel like splurging.

Top Bottom