• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

neutralgamer02 said:
Maybe I should stop saying means or equals because it seems you are taking it literally. It REFERS to a black person. When someone says nigger they refer to a black person.
That would be wise, considering it goes without saying.

Derwind

Veidt said:
Anyone ever do one of those 23andMe tests?

Get ready to have your concept of 'race' blown away.

Very interesting results:

DNA results for a Somalian Man:

Teaches me a few things:
1. Yay, I am descendent of Egyptians.
2. 74% European? Even more Asian than African?
3. Or is it the simple fact that there is no such thing as a single race? Because keep in mind, people from my region are about as homogeneous as it gets. Which means that as it is said in the results, the Europeans of today are descendants of those people. I'm like, totally a distant cousin of all of you guys, every single one of you, European, African, Asian, whatever, people like me, are like the link between all of us. More directly than you are with other populations. So love me <3

I always laugh at how the world is supposed to be in sections, separate from each other. While the truth is that it was always one people, that left one place in East Africa, to go on to populate the rest of the world.

The way we throw around the term "race" makes it feel like we're entirely different species when in fact we're all 99.9% similar in our dna.

Two groups of lions only separated by a few miles have a much larger difference in their dna.

I'm sick and tired of the world using "race" to further their conceited agenda's.

We're all one global family.

Peace & Love.

neutralgamer02 said:
Again, just to put this to rest. The word nigger originated from negre(French), which originated from negro(Spanish) which means black. Nigger means a black person. Since then, negative connotations began to be added to the word due to slavery. What I am trying to say, is the word nigger means a black person. NOT black person equals nigger. Not sure how many times I have to say that. There is no ignorance involved.

How does ignoring the media, mean I am ignoring my race? Please tell me what you do when you see a negative portrayal of black people in the media? Please, I am trying to figure out how I should act because obvious I am so ignorant on this matter.

Negative connotations were not put in place due to slavery. Did you know that in the Koran the say that people should they should not act niggardly? Honestly what are you trying to get at?

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Negative connotations were not put in place due to slavery. Did you know that in the Koran the say that people should they should not act niggardly? Honestly what are you trying to get at?

Umm...I don't study this stuff, but just from a quick search shows that the word nigger did NOT originate from niggardly. I am not sure where you got that from. It originated from the spanish word black, or negro.

Honestly, I wasn't even arguing about the origin. I was arguing two things.

1. Why do black people seem to care what other black people do so much compared to white people.
2. It is stupid to think you can change the definition of the word nigger to be like the word redneck.

You and others in this thread, are creating arguments from pieces of my statement, and arguing about them, in this case incorrectly, for some weird reason.

Derwind said:
The way we throw around the term "race" makes it feel like we're entirely different species when in fact we're all 99.9% similar in our dna.

Two groups of lions only separated by a few miles have a much larger difference in their dna.

I'm sick and tired of the world using "race" to further their conceited agenda's.

We're all one global family.

Peace & Love.

Race was a construct used to divide indentured servants in order to keep the have nots from rising up and killing the haves. Prior to ~1700 there was no such thing as black and white. In an attempt to keep the black indentured servants from rebelling with the white indentured servants race was used so the elites can say "Look, I'll help you if you help me keep these blacks down." It was a divide and conquer technique.

Unfortunately a lot of the history about this shit is never taught, so people continue to believe all manner of bullshit based on biased texts and research that we learned in high school.

My wife had never seen New Jack City, so I bought it on DVD tonight and we watched it. Ice T, Wesley Snipes, Allen Payne, Mario Van Peebles, Chris Rock (Pookie!).

Great flick, and a historical bullet points of the 90s imo.

Half-and-half said:
My wife had never seen New Jack City, so I bought it on DVD tonight and we watched it. Ice T, Wesley Snipes, Allen Payne, Mario Van Peebles, Chris Rock (Pookie!).

Am I my brothers keeper?

Imm0rt4l

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Niggardly means cheap...

Half-and-half said:

I think every black woman in America fell in love with Wesley Snipes after that movie came out

Imm0rt4l

neutralgamer02 said:
Umm...I don't study this stuff, but just from a quick search shows that the word nigger did NOT originate from niggardly. I am not sure where you got that from. It originated from the spanish word black, or negro.

1. Why do black people seem to care what other black people do so much compared to white people.
2. It is stupid to think you can change the definition of the word nigger to be like the word redneck.

You and others in this thread, are creating arguments from pieces of my statement, and arguing about them, in this case incorrectly, for some weird reason.
There is an innate otherness when it comes to being black, a bond that is not found in white people because they're the majority and given this countrys history they don't adhere to the same social norms. Among whites you can distinguish groups accordingly, whether they're average joes ,rednecks preps etc. This can be said of blacks as well. Problem is blacks are lumped into one group all with negative stigma and not many. Why should I have to be judged based on a few peoples actions? Why should it be so abnormal for me to be eloquent? Why should a white woman be so intimidated of me? Why is it that there aren't any good stereotypes of me? The stigmas we all have to deal with is largely the reason why we have a sort of comradery with one another which is seen in many things among black people; a sort of empathy you can't relate too. The same reason you don't feel a need to give the nod of acknowledgment to your fellow white guy in a small town.

soundscream said:
Am I my brothers keeper?
Yes I am!

computers putin' said:
I think every black woman in America fell in love with Wesley Snipes after that movie came out
Hmm my wife did keep saying "Wow he's so young". I can't front on Wesley Snipes though, definitely a smooth brotha, although those gold chains in that movie were pretty ridiculous.

Dabanton

Cancel that bitch, I'll buy another one.
874142_o.gif

neutralgamer02 said:

Just because you don't give two shits doesn't mean that I don't have to. Please keep that negative attitude to yourself.

PS I was just making a point that the negative connotation goes farther than slavery.

Imm0rt4l

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Which is usually associated with black people....
No, not really, that would be a stereotype associated with Jews. Anyone can be cheap. Fact of the mater is that black people in general on average contribute a larger percentage of their gross domestic income to the economy. Good for the economy, bad for people willing to spend two thirds of their pay check on a new pair of Jays. So if you hear someone say that black people in general are cheap, then slap some sense into them!

I suppose what I should have said is that the words nigger and niggardly are etymologically unrelated. That isn't to say that the word, if used today wouldn't be seen as trying to get a rise out of you because the term is an antiquated one, and phonetically rhymes with what is the most offensive word in the English language.

Londa

Banned
What is everyone doing this weekend?

Me? I'm destroying my brains with school work and then after that do a little drawing in corel painter X while listening to my three new CDs.

Imm0rt4l said:
There is an innate otherness when it comes to being black, a bond that is not found in white people because they're the majority and given this countrys history they don't adhere to the same social norms. Among whites you can distinguish groups accordingly, whether they're average joes ,rednecks preps etc. This can be said of blacks as well. Problem is blacks are lumped into one group all with negative stigma and not many. Why should I have to be judged based on a few peoples actions? Why should it be so abnormal for me to be eloquent? Why should a white woman be so intimidated of me? Why is it that there aren't any good stereotypes of me? The stigmas we all have to deal with is largely the reason why we have a sort of comradery with one another which is seen in many things among black people; a sort of empathy you can't relate too. The same reason you don't feel a need to give the nod of acknowledgment to your fellow white guy in a small town.
You know I never really thought about it like this...great post.

Londa

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Anyone else get any weird looks when you ask for a JRPG or niche game in Gamestop? It's like they expect me to only by Madden. >.>

I get weird looks (because girls don't play games ;D) or people assume that I'm getting games for my child (which I don't have, so its two assumptions in one). People think every black girl has a baby.

After I come to the store more than once, they end up saying I have good taste in games.

TacticalFox88 said:
Anyone else get any weird looks when you ask for a JRPG or niche game in Gamestop? It's like they expect me to only by Madden. >.>
The gamestop I regular has black people working there, so it has never been an issue lol.

On the chance that I go to another one near me which has white workers, I never get that. Then again, I'm not that big of a JRPG player anymore (My backlog is piled with unfinished ones); I love fighting games.

Imm0rt4l said:
No, not really, that would be a stereotype associated with Jews. Anyone can be cheap. Fact of the mater is that black people in general on average contribute a larger percentage of their gross domestic income to the economy. Good for the economy, bad for people willing to spend two thirds of their pay check on a new pair of Jays. So if you here someone say that black people in general are cheap, then slap some sense into them!

I suppose what I should have said is that the words nigger and niggardly are etymologically unrelated. That isn't to say that the word, if used today wouldn't be seen as trying to get a rise out of you because the term is an antiquated one, and phonetically rhymes with what is the most offensive word in the English language.

So you're telling me they came up with the word niggardly and didn't think of black people at all?

TacticalFox88 said:

Amazon doesn't discriminate.

I've only been to a Gamestop maybe 2 months ago in the past year+ and never noticed anything.

Desi

Londa said:

Me? I'm destroying my brains with school work and then after that do a little drawing in corel painter X while listening to my three new CDs.
Finishing up a couple games. Write some fiction. Pay bills.

Imm0rt4l

Londa said:

I'm inundated with school work, supposed to be graduating in a few weeks.

TacticalFox88 said:
yea, I don't play madden and I get shit like that all the time. I do play fighting games heavily, a genre that blacks are very competitive in.

MWS Natural said:
You know I never really thought about it like this...great post.
Thanks

ChocolateCupcakes said:
So you're telling me they came up with the word niggardly and didn't think of black people at all?
Yep, the words are totally unrelated. Peep the etymology.

Londa said:

My spring break actually starts today.

I'm actually sick, so I'm watching TV in bed.

I'd be playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 if not for my sickness. It's too gloomy outside to hang with friends if I wasn't sick, as well.

Imm0rt4l

spindashing said:
My spring break actually starts today.

I'm actually sick, so I'm watching TV in bed.

I'd be playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 if not for my sickness. It's too gloomy outside to hang with friends if I wasn't sick, as well.
You play on psn? We should play some time. I don't really fuck with mahvel like that, but I plan on entering EVO for SSF4, might as well pick up mvc3 as well. I suck ass at the game btw.

Londa said:

I fixed a leaky shower head so far (feel good about that). We're going to take our 10 month old to a field of blue bonnets for pictures. If I have time I'm going to code a little. Hopefully get some gaming in too.

Imm0rt4l said:
You play on psn? We should play some time. I don't really fuck with mahvel like that, but I plan on entering EVO for SSF4, might as well pick up mvc3 as well. I suck ass at the game btw.
PSN: atrickcard

I'm not all that great in Mahvel myself, so it's all good. I used to play Vanilla SF4/SSFIV but after playing Mahvel for a long amount of time, I've found that I can't return to SSFIV's mechanics/gameplay lol.

Imm0rt4l

spindashing said:

I'm not all that great in Mahvel myself, so it's all good. I used to play Vanilla SF4/SSFIV but after playing Mahvel for a long amount of time, I've found that I can't return to SSFIV's mechanics/gameplay lol.

I've played <5 hours of mahvel, I don't even have a set team yet but it'll probably be task ammy and someone else. I like having a faster less defensive game to play, problem is the game is filled with all sorts of bullshit I don't like, but apparently I've missed 2 patches since I've last played.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Ok, but fact of the matter is, is that it can be seen as insulting despite its original meaning.
Oh yea, I agree totally. While the meaning is still for one to be stingy, the word is too close to nigger. If someone were to say that today, they're just trolling/trying to get a rise out of you. Their are tons of words nobody uses anymore. I see someone use the word niggardly and I assume they're either a language enthusiast or they want to offend you without you having legitimacy for being angry.

Londa

Banned
Just bought Far East Movement, Foo Fighters, and Tron CD. FEM was better than I thought, Foo Fighters has four good songs, the rest slow and takes me to snoretown, and I haven't listen to Tron yet. The tron CD is in neon green just like Mr. Yuck stickers.

Imm0rt4l

The tron sdtk is good, haven't really checked for FEM in a minute, Foo Fighters has some dope shit, they're hit or miss though.

Londa

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
The tron sdtk is good, haven't really checked for FEM in a minute, Foo Fighters has some dope shit, they're hit or miss though.

I was really hoping for Foo to blow me away because the first four tracks had me going wow. Either way I was blasting it in my car. :)

spindashing said:

Did I add you? PSN:urbanlogic brother

PSN Black GAF? Fuck yeah. ID:NightBlade88

Ugh, though at the moment, I'm doing a lot of Black ops, so I don't know too much how Black GAF feels about it.

zero_suit

TacticalFox88 said:
PSN Black GAF? Fuck yeah. ID:NightBlade88

Ugh, though at the moment, I'm doing a lot of Black ops, so I don't know too much how Black GAF feels about it.

Thumbs down. I thought COD4 was the best.

I don't have much time for games these days but putting my PSN wouldn't hurt.
PSN: Lightning_Hands

zero_suit said:
Thumbs down. I thought COD4 was the best.
Agree

speaking of FPS, has anyone noticed a sort of rise in the gruff black commander character in shooters?
Who can we thank(blame?) for this

Satch

Banned
Probably that dude in Halo. Can't remember his name, but he said some quote about "I woulda been yo daddy but a dog beat me over the fence"

Top Bottom