• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Measley

Dreams-Visions said:
you've no idea how bad it's gotten.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42983170#43017103

now with Michael Eric Dyson laying the wood.

O' Reilly and Jon Stewart are going to "debate" this issue on Monday night.

The amount of ignorance (and arrogance) from the right about this issue is despicable. Its like none of them have any idea about anything relating to black people, and how we got to where we are as a people. Then we have old white people saying that Common, Jeremiah Wright, and Obama hate America as if they have the balls to do half the shit those three men have done for this country (that obviously despises them).

Imm0rt4l

Measley said:
O' Reilly and Jon Stewart are going to "debate" this issue on Monday night.

The amount of ignorance (and arrogance) from the right about this issue is despicable. Its like none of them have any idea about anything relating to black people, and how we got to where we are as a people. Then we have old white people saying that Common, Jeremiah Wright, and Obama hate America as if they have the balls to do half the shit those three men have done for this country (that obviously despises them).

This should be good.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
perfectnight said:
Don't you guys love it when games have "robust" character creation and not a single fucking slider/preset makes your guy look anything remotely close to a black dude/girl?

How hard is it to GIS "Black man/woman" and then put something resembling that in your game?

Fuck

the only games that have a good enough character builder is the monster hunter series. and even then, the faces dont seem right for me.

Black Republican said:
Jon to defend Common? does he know of his music or....

to be honest, he doesnt have to know much. just listen to a few of his albums, look on wikipedia. that could be 3 hours of research done that fox news and affiliates have never even touched. although it would be interesting to see if o'reilly was to research common. how could he spin his actual works as those of a cop killer?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Black Republican said:
anyone remember those amanda bynes i love chocolate men tweets last year? hahah good times
Man, I was grinning like a motherfucker when I read that shit. Always had a thing for her.

Funtruck

Banned
You guys see Easy A?

Amanda Bynes looked downright disgusting in that movie, let herself go big time..

btw i'm half black and half jewish, is it alright if i post in this thread?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
of course you can, we don't hate

btw, I love how people ask for permission to post in here, like we're resident Black Panthers or something

Veidt

Funtruck said:
You guys see Easy A?

Amanda Bynes looked downright disgusting in that movie, let herself go big time..

I don't think there's anything better than a half black/jewish person.
Why?
You're a racists nightmare.

Satch

Banned
Funtruck said:
You guys see Easy A?
I watched it on Xbox Netflix the other day. I was damned surprised by how good it actually turned out.

I hadn't seen Amanda Bynes in yeeeeeeeeears until seeing that movie. I thought she looked like she always has.

Veidt

lightless_shado said:

come on man. Google exists.
unless you were just trying to stimulate conversation and for that I thank you
Wait, is this the guy she was dating?
Cause damn, the brother is a rolemodel.

Feeling like having a mini-rant, although this is probably not the place and I certainly don't want to shit up this thread. But anyways...

Ever since coming to the US, I've noticed how "race"-fixated the place is compared to what I expected (and I expected a lot of it). How I dream of the (sadly unrealizable) day that the concept of "race" is obliterated, and one's skin color is seen as no more important or characteristic of oneself than one's hair color.

I must admit that I am quite uninformed when it comes to "black culture", even though I know that there's no such thing as a culture that encompasses all people of a certain skin color.

Anyways, that is all on that matter. :)

On another note, I wish there were more believable non-white characters in video games...

mcrae

Funtruck said:
You guys see Easy A?

ever since superbad i've been in love with that girl with the red hair, who ended up starring in easy a. still in love.

anyways just image searched amanda bynes easy a - shes gained a little chunk on her eh? i feel like ive seen her many many times before now without knowing.

ps. im white, i just wandered in here to see what was going on. i like whats going on.

BloodySinner said:
How does that work?
lenny-kravitz.jpg

rashida-jones-pic.jpg

lightless_shado said:

come on man. Google exists.
unless you were just trying to stimulate conversation and for that I thank you
your spoiler is correct. I had already googled...but wanted pics. ;)

that young brotha did quite well for himself.

*takes notes*

Bleepey

Dreams-Visions said:
your spoiler is correct. I had already googled...but wanted pics. ;)

that young brotha did quite well for himself.

*takes notes*

He's short, but hey i can' lie even as a heterosexual man, i have to admit he's goodlooking.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
mcrae said:
ever since superbad i've been in love with that girl with the red hair, who ended up starring in easy a. still in love.

anyways just image searched amanda bynes easy a - shes gained a little chunk on her eh? i feel like ive seen her many many times before now without knowing.

ps. im white, i just wandered in here to see what was going on. i like whats going on.
Emma stone? Yeah I was hot on her too until I found out she was blonde. Major fucking dissapointment. That and I have an issue with redheads...

But welcome to the thread. Hang out for a while and enjoy the environment. All are welcome

perfectnight said:
Don't you guys love it when games have "robust" character creation and not a single fucking slider/preset makes your guy look anything remotely close to a black dude/girl?

How hard is it to GIS "Black man/woman" and then put something resembling that in your game?

Fuck

masseffect2201103232050.jpg

Don't change the fact dude sounds pretty white but...progress!

MWS Natural said:
No hoverhand.....my man.

Parallax said:
You know we don't play that shit. I have never hoverhanded in my life

Hahaha. I don't get why people do it though. It seems a lot more awkward than just putting your hand on the person..

Dark FaZe said:
*pic*
Don't change the fact dude sounds pretty white but...progress!

Okay I think I need to give the ME series another try.

soundscream said:
upS7y.jpg

I will forever be grateful to The Office for Rashida Jones.

Necromanti said:
Feeling like having a mini-rant, although this is probably not the place and I certainly don't want to shit up this thread. But anyways...

Ever since coming to the US, I've noticed how "race"-fixated the place is compared to what I expected (and I expected a lot of it). How I dream of the (sadly unrealizable) day that the concept of "race" is obliterated, and one's skin color is seen as no more important or characteristic of oneself than one's hair color.

I must admit that I am quite uninformed when it comes to "black culture", even though I know that there's no such thing as a culture that encompasses all people of a certain skin color.

Anyways, that is all on that matter. :)

On another note, I wish there were more believable non-white characters in video games...

Where are you coming from specifically? In any place with minorities, the issue of race will eventually come up, more so if there are more minorities in the place than anywhere else.

I have to hand it to Britain though, I've been watching some British TV shows and I've noticed that its just far more normal to depict an interracial relationship than it is in North America. In a show like Luther or misfits or Doctor Who you see black guys dating white girls or brown girls dating white guys or asian guys dating black girls stuff like that and the issue of race doesn't seem to get brought up that often.

Now I don't know for sure if that's indicative of the cities there, because we shouldn't mistake a lack of discussion about race to mean that the issue doesn't exist. Only way I'd be able to confirm if they were more progressive in another country towards blacks is if we had some members living in that other country that can come in and give their $.02 .

DominoKid

Wow. Story time folks...gather around.

So I've been looking up some of my old friends from elementary school on Facebook. And their lives have taken some really unexpected turns. So many of them have kids and/or are trappin/hustlin on the streets. this is really fucking with my head.

I remember back when my parents were deciding what middle school I was gonna go to, it came down to the school in the rich neighborhood waaaaaaaaay across town, or the charter school about halfway across town. At the time, I was angry that I couldn't go to my neighborhood school with all my friends but I gotta say thats one of the few decisions my parents got right.

On one hand, I kinda wonder if I could've helped anybody avoid some of these stumbling blocks. I remember running into my best friend from elementary school sometime during high school and he told me "You left and never came back. We didnt forget you though. You come up in conversation every now and then. But you never kept up with anybody. That's kinda fucked up." But its odd because I didnt actually leave the neighborhood until a few years later, I just didnt have a presence there because I was always busy with my travel soccer team and other commitments. My immediate surroundings were the furthest thing from my mind.

It brings me back to a conversation I had with my dad one evening while we were playing catch when he told me "I never want you to become invested in this (the neighborhood), because youre better than this. And I dont want something to happen to you that will keep you from being the best that you can be." And he worked to keep me off the streets like it was his second job.

And as I look back at all of my old friends, there's one thing in common. They all became invested in the hood through friendships, gangs, relationships, etc. The hood is it for them. But my parents wouldnt let that be it for me.

</storytime>

sidenote: puttin lil babies in Jordan's = FAIL

DrFunk said:
Anyone else heard that Don Lemon (CNN anchor) has come out? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/16/don-lemon-comes-out-cnn-anchor-gay_n_862308.html

I'd like to check out his book, seems interesting
I bet Anderson Cooper has already tapped that ass.

Measley said:
Good for you Don. I've been a fan of his for a number of years. He's a great anchor.
I stopped being cool with Don. Maybe last year he was trippin on Obama talking about how building that Mosque near ground zero was wrong. Fuck him.

Measley

Funtruck said:
You guys see Easy A?

Aly Michalka is hot as hell though.

I'm also half black and half jewish. :)

Measley

Dreams-Visions said:
I stopped being cool with Don. Maybe last year he was trippin on Obama talking about how building that Mosque near ground zero was wrong. Fuck him.

What? I didn't even hear about that. Unfortunate if true. :(

exarkun

Just stopping by to say that Ciara is one finnnnne ass woman. I just saw her at a "hip" lunch place here in htown. I said gotdamn.

Top Bottom