• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

royalan

spindashing said:
1997_039007_counts.jpg

Little_Rock_Desegregation_1957.jpg

Like a boss.

Elizabeth Eckford. She was a part of the Little Rock Nine, a group of black students whom were actually the first black students to attend Little Rock Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas.

I've always loved these pictures. Strong posture, walking straight ahead, stoic expression...AND WHAT

Measley

Londa said:

wtf... I swear. This is a black culture thread. If you don't like people saying their black when they have other cultures in their veins, make a thread about it. THIS ISNT THE PLACE

LoL! Mixed-race issues are issues within Black Culture, Londa.

Londa

Banned
Measley said:
LoL! Mixed-race issues are issues within Black Culture, Londa.

You guys are talking about how mixed people should only be seen as mixed and that they can not identify with one part of their heritage. One of you are on a rampage to make anyone mix conform to this thinking because its right in his eyes. This is more about separating races than Black Culture and we don't want this thread to go down the road of the black woman one. PLEASE STFU ABOUT IT. THANKS

If you continue I will personally ignore you and I hope others do to, so you end up talking to yourself only. So this thread stays open.

Funtruck

Banned
Londa said:
You guys are talking about how mixed people should only be seen as mixed and that they can not identify with one part of their heritage. One of you are on a rampage to make anyone mix conform to this thinking because its right in his eyes. This is more about separating races than Black Culture and we don't want this thread to go down the road of the black woman one. PLEASE STFU ABOUT. THANKS
I never said that a mixed person shouldn't identify with one part of their heritage (I actually said it's good), I just said that it is disheartening that most of us don't really have a choice and are shoehorned into whatever race people see us as anyways; and that it's even more disheartening when a multi-racial person loathes the other part of themselves.

But whatever, keep pretending that I'm some sort of racist.

I really hate having to post this shit here, if you truly want me to stfu stop baiting me

Measley

Londa said:
You guys are talking about how mixed people should only be seen as mixed and that they can not identify with one part of their heritage. One of you are on a rampage to make anyone mix conform to this thinking because its right in his eyes. This is more about separating races than Black Culture and we don't want this thread to go down the road of the black woman one. PLEASE STFU ABOUT IT. THANKS

Yeah no one said any of that.

Hypersensitive much?

Gaming-Age uses the term "dudebros" to identify a certain group of gamers. I think there is a similar group amongst Black people and I call them "dudemanes". What do y'all think?

This would also be used when its said without the "s" (e.g. dudebro and dudemane)

I feel that we are touching some stuff that's really sensitive. I ask that we change the subject for now. So if you watched Thor recently you would have seen a strong black performance.

Urban Scholar said:
I feel that we are touching some stuff that's really sensitive. I ask that we change the subject for now. So if you watched Thor recently you would have seen a strong black performance.
Indeed. Moar Elba, please. Also, more Dijmon Honsu.

Funtruck

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I feel that we are touching some stuff that's really sensitive. I ask that we change the subject for now. So if you watched Idris Elba in anything you would have seen a strong black performance.
fixed

Urban Scholar said:

I agree to both of you're points. And Idris Ebla was awesome as Heimdell! I'm going to buy the blu-ray as soon as comes out.

Urban Scholar said:

That was one of the reasons for my post.

Londa

Banned
honestly nothing he can say will emotionally upset me. I am going through much worse in life and him and his self hate doesn't faze me. However it doesn't stop me from calling out a self hater.

I was never interested in Thor the super hero and that's one reason why I have not seen the film.

But, everyone I know has had good things to say about the film. I should check it out soon.

I'm going to have to check out some Static Shock episodes online somewhere.

Edit: Thanks for welcoming me back, really. I second Michael Jai White getting more work.

MJW would be a better Blade now that you mention it. I forgot about him for a second. I am a shame to my Chocolate Giddy Up avatar and Black Dynamite t-shirt.

Funtruck

Banned
Londa said:
honestly nothing he can say will emotionally upset me. I am going through much worse in life and him and his self hate doesn't faze me. However it doesn't stop me from calling out a self hater.
You are an incredibly stubborn and annoying woman.

Ignored.

end

Lebron

eternaLightness said:
It's pretty funny to Google Djimon hounsou and see a picture of Kratos.
That's because he is Kratos. I remember watching Blood Diamond where every other scene he was screaming and thinking to myself, "Kratos is really mad."

I wanted MJW to be John Stewart in a Green Lantern movie for the longest. Guess I should have known they would use Hal Jordan when they finally did it.

bgassassin said:
I wanted MJW to be John Stewart in a Green Lantern movie for the longest. Guess I should have known they would use Hal Jordan when they finally did it.
Yeah, there wasn't a chance the would use John Stewart.

Another agree of MJW as Blade. That would be amazing. And he needs more work, the last major movie I saw him in was TDK or that Tyler Perry Movie.

Tokubetsu

Hell, I'd be happy if MJW just did more voice work. Him and Keith David have GREAT voices that are woefully underused. My mom used to watch Gargoyles with me as a kid and to this day, the one thing she really remembers is Goliath's voice. One of the few cartoons she really approved of me watching/loved to watch as well.

If you love Idris Elba, go watch Luther on netflix RIGHT NOW. He's my hero. I want to dress like he dresses in Luther. SWAG.

Family Matters. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. The Jeffersons. Amen. 227. Good Times. Sanford and Sun.

Have we really lost our touch with black sitcoms? Everybody Hates Chris was great, and My Wife and Kids was great in its first few seasons before the sitcom got too wacky, but I cannot think of another remotely entertaining black sitcom of recent times.

Tyler Perry has Meet the Browns/House of Payne, but I'm not interested in those (although I can't lie: I have seen more than a few episodes of both shows). They lack the flair and presentation of the previous sitcoms that I've mentioned. Ice Cube has Are We There Yet? but after seeing one episode, I couldn't continue even if I like some of the cast (Terry Crews, Essence Atkins and I was surprised to see Telma Hopkins of all people involved. I loved her in Family Matters and Half & Half).

spindashing said:
Family Matters. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. The Jeffersons. Amen. 227. Good Times. Sanford and Sun.

Have we really lost our touch with black sitcoms? Everybody Hates Chris was great, and My Wife and Kids was great in its first few seasons before the sitcom got too wacky, but I cannot think of another remotely entertaining black sitcom.

Tyler Perry has Meet the Browns/House of Payne, but I'm not interested in those (although I can't lie: I have seen more than a few episodes of both shows). They lack the flair and presentation of the previous sitcoms that I've mentioned. Ice Cube has Are We There Yet? but after seeing one episode, I couldn't continue even if I like some of the cast (Terry Crews, Essence Atkins and I was surprised to see Telma Hopkins of all people involved. I loved her in Family Matters and Half & Half).
I remember back in the day, most of the black shows on the WB was all on one night.

You're right, though, we don't have any good sitcoms anymore.

Londa

Banned
bgassassin said:
Since we're on the topic of actors, did anyone else besides me want Angela Bassett to be Storm in the X-Men movies?

I just wanted anyone but who they chose to be Storm. Storm to me seems very strong and self assertive. The storm they picked was so weak and timid.

Lebron

bgassassin said:
Since we're on the topic of actors, did anyone else besides me want Angela Bassett to be Storm in the X-Men movies?
Nah, Storm was a pushover in the X-Men movies. I rather see Halle play that role than Angela.

Top Bottom