• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
soundscream said:
PhilLaMarr.jpg

Phil LaMarr

no mention of ramza from final fantasy tactics? for shame

lightless_shado said:
what about reddas?
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080229125933/finalfantasy/images/thumb/0/06/Reddas.jpg/331px-Reddas.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Real talk is Reddas black? I like to think so, unless that's one highly impressive tan. I always like to tell my friends when we play FF12 hey there goes our cool brother quota right there. What do you guys think?

Urban Scholar said:
Real talk is Reddas black? I like to think so, unless that's one highly impressive tan. I always like to tell my friends when we play FF12 hey there goes our cool brother quota right there. What do you guys think?

100% certain he's black. Some Japanese artists have taken what I call the "storm template" for designing many black characters. Blonde or white hair with dark skin like storm from X-men. Raven(tekken 3), Elena (SF3), Seth(king of fighters), Killer Bee from Naruto, etc.

Raikage and Omoi from Naruto also have blonde hair. Aqua Lad from Young Justice has blonde hair too. I wonder what's up with that.

Is it Sisqo or...

simonphoenix.jpg

Edit: Drebin from Metal Gear Solid 4 ALSO had blonde hair. What is this trend?

MWS Natural said:
I thought the rap video was overrated but this one was pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8CvBKaolWs&feature=player_embedded

"You smell that? That's not Old Spice..."
Good shit.

and that Head of State video was on point. It was actually the first version of that song I ever heard. The Wacka version was corny as hell afterwards. lol.

That second video sucked. I expect that the 3rd video will be better.

lightless_shado said:
100% certain he's black. Some Japanese artists have taken what I call the "storm template" for designing many black characters. Blonde or white hair with dark skin like storm from X-men. Raven(tekken 3), Elena (SF3), Seth(king of fighters), Killer Bee from Naruto, etc.

spindashing said:
Raikage and Omoi from Naruto also have blonde hair. Aqua Lad from Young Justice has blonde hair too. I wonder what's up with that.
Is it Sisqo or...
simonphoenix.jpg

I think from a coloring or style stand point it helps for coloring and to make the character stand out.

RedSwirl

B1gg_Randall said:

I read somewher that Kratos' face (and maybe body) is actually based on Djimon. For some reason I always saw Kratos as black, to the point where whenever they showed him with regular Caucasian skin in the flashbacks it looked off.

spindashing said:

Is it Sisqo or...

simonphoenix.jpg

I'm guessing the Ganguro look (tanned skin, blonde hair) has become Japan's image of black people.

spindashing said:

Is it Sisqo or...

simonphoenix.jpg

Like someone else said, it's probably so they can stand out.

08shinobu3_2.jpg

I remember getting into an argument at IGN over Shinobu. He thought that she was a ganguro despite Suda51 saying otherwise and despite Shinobu not looking anywhere like this:

Ganguro.jpg

Londa

Banned
heliosRAzi said:

08shinobu3_2.jpg

I remember getting into an argument at IGN over Shinobu. He thought that she was a ganguro despite Suda51 saying otherwise and despite Shinobu not looking anywhere like this:

Ganguro.jpg

That is weird to do even after Suda51 tells everyone. I guess he didn't want his fav character to be black?

Urban Scholar said:
Definitely a sad possibility.

So guys what do you think about this world ending stuff?

Does it have any scientific basis? because it would sort of be blasphemy for someone to be saying that he/she knows when the world will end. It explicitly states in the Bible that only God knows when the rapture is coming.

If it was like evidence has been found about the earth's axis shifting or some shit then it would make more sense to me but if its just one or two people with a prediction and the media is running with it and repeating it over and over again then consider me a skeptic.

Urban Scholar said:
Definitely a sad possibility.

So guys what do you think about this world ending stuff?

The first thing. Never really understood that sort of logic.

The second thing. The world may not be ending but GAF seems to be going into some sort of existential crisis right now.

Speaking of VAs, I really loved the two people who voiced Guillo in Baten Kaitos Origins. They were definitely black. Too bad no one has played this game ever. One of these days I will play this game again.

Also, Phil LaMarr has gotten really old.

Parallax

heliosRAzi said:

08shinobu3_2.jpg

Ganguro.jpg
Wait, so someone tried to say that shinobu wasn't black? Is that another one we can add to the list

Parallax said:
Wait, so someone tried to say that shinobu wasn't black? Is that another one we can add to the list
Yeah, he was stupid and it was IGN.

I actually get kind of happy if there is a black person drawn realistically in anime. Well, as realistic as Japanese anime allows. There was the Animatrix shorts with Program and World Record. Cowboy Bebop with the Mushroom Samba episode. The Colonel or Captain from Macross Plus. And... I can't really think of many others.

Oh yeah, I had an episode at work the other day. I had told some people I was atheist. It eventually became a debate, but not very heated, but a fat white guy asked why can't we get an organ transplant from chimpanzees and I told him that we are different species. Then he says that him and I could exchange organs. I was like And? He then said that we were two different species. Yup, apparently blacks and whites are two different species now.

heliosRAzi said:

I actually get kind of happy if there is a black person drawn realistically in anime. Well, as realistic as Japanese anime allows. There was the Animatrix shorts with Program and World Record. Cowboy Bebop with the Mushroom Samba episode. The Colonel or Captain from Macross Plus. And... I can't really think of many others.

Oh yeah, I had an episode at work the other day. I had told some people I was atheist. It eventually became a debate, but not very heated, but a fat white guy asked why can't we get an organ transplant from chimpanzees and I told him that we are different species. Then he says that him and I could exchange organs. I was like And? He then said that we were two different species. Yup, apparently blacks and whites are two different species now.
It's best to not associate with such ignorance.

Unrelated, but I remember a conversation that I had with a girl in high school. I am of Haitian descent, so my last name sounds French. This girl, Italian I assume, said, "Oh, you're French? That's pretty cool."

I smiled and responded, "No. I may have some French in my blood but I'm Haitian."

"Haitian?", she asked.

"Yeah. You know. From Haiti?" I said confused as she was.

"I've never heard of Haiti." She ultimately said.

I laughed and shrugged my shoulders at the time, but looking back, I'm still not sure what to think of the situation, lol.

Londa

Banned
heliosRAzi said:

It goes back to white people saying that blacks are monkeys or look like monkeys.

Parallax

heliosRAzi said:

I actually get kind of happy if there is a black person drawn realistically in anime. Well, as realistic as Japanese anime allows. There was the Animatrix shorts with Program and World Record. Cowboy Bebop with the Mushroom Samba episode. The Colonel or Captain from Macross Plus. And... I can't really think of many others. .

theres also simon from durarara(black russian), and althought buccha isnt black, you sure coulda fooled me

what the fuck? seriously?

spindashing said:
It's best to not associate with such ignorance.

Unrelated, but I remember a conversation that I had with a girl in high school. I am of Haitian descent, so my last name sounds French. This girl, Italian I assume, said, "Oh, you're French? That's pretty cool."

I smiled and responded, "No. I may have some French in my blood but I'm Haitian."

"Haitian?", she asked.

"Yeah. You know. From Haiti?" I said confused as she was.

"I've never heard of Haiti." She ultimately said.

I laughed and shrugged my shoulders at the time, but looking back, I'm still not sure what to think of the situation, lol.

so... she lives under a rock? how could you not have heard of haiti?

heliosRAzi said:
Yup, apparently blacks and whites are two different species now.
No, not just now. Apparently that idea has been around for a long time in America. My mind was blown the first time I learned about it. One of these days I should really learn to stop underestimating just how stupid people can be.

Kaizer

Banned
spindashing said:
Jet-Cowboy-Bebop.jpg

=

beau-billingslea-2.jpg

One of my favorite voice actors. Beau Billingslea. He also did Barrett Wallace in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.
Damn beat me to the punch lol, I was gonna mention him. I always felt like Jet was black whenever I watched Bebop.

Imm0rt4l

Speaking of Voice Actors, I remember as a kid I thought that gray fox aka cyborg ninja from MGS1 was black. His voice actor was clearly black, and I could tell it was the same guy who voiced the DARPA chief.

126023.jpg

Probably not the best place to ask, but anyone know what killed Funtruck?

I doubt anyone is surprised, but he was lively so it's kind of sad that he was still a junior. I still don't understand why people don't hold off on the crazy until after they get full status.

Kaizer said:
What about Tousen from Bleach? 99% sure he's black. Would post a pic but I'm on my phone.
Tousen is black. His english voice actor is a white guy from what I remember, though.

Edit: No idea what killed Funtruck, I'm afraid.

heliosRAzi said:

There is also Dutch from Black Lagoon.

Parallax

Master Milk said:

I doubt anyone is surprised, but he was lively so it's kind of sad that he was still a junior. I still don't understand why people don't hold off on the crazy until after they get full status.

maybe he flew to close to the sun...

but most likely didnt realize that juniors get less slack than regular members, and was caught slipping

spindashing said:
Tousen is black. His english voice actor is a white guy from what I remember, though.

i have had arguments about tousen being black. despite the cornrows, large lips and really dark skin, some dont think hes black. same with mathieu, hilda and gidget from eureka seven.

DigitalSoul said:
There is also Dutch from Black Lagoon.

so fucking underutilized. a shame seeing as how he oozes badass

Narag

Master Milk said:

He was trolling the Console/PC thread and readily admitted to it. Not a bright idea.

Parallax said:
what the fuck? seriously?
Yup. He's been saying a lot of crazy stuff the past couple of weeks. He once told a story (and he has a lot of stories, most of them are made up) about how he was once raised by a black family for most of his life. It was all bullshit, but I wanted to see how far he was going to take it. He said that when he was nine, he and his best black friend were chunking rocks off of a bridge in redneck, TX, and they accidentally hit a truck. The driver saw the two boys and - according to my crazy coworker - assumed the black family adopted the white kid. In the 1960s. In the middle of Texas.

What's funny about this guy is that he always needs a tell somebody a story, no matter how far-fetched it is. And he tailors his stories to whatever race he is speaking to as if it will make them feel better no matter how absurd it may be. Thankfully, now that I'm going back to full duty, I won't have to hear him again

Londa

Banned
heliosRAzi said:
Yup. He's been saying a lot of crazy stuff the past couple of weeks. He once told a story (and he has a lot of stories, most of them are made up) about how he was once raised by a black family for most of his life. It was all bullshit, but I wanted to see how far he was going to take it. He said that when he was nine, he and his best black friend were chunking rocks off of a bridge in redneck, TX, and they accidentally hit a truck. The driver saw the two boys and - according to my crazy coworker - assumed the black family adopted the white kid. In the 1960s. In the middle of Texas.

What's funny about this guy is that he always needs a tell somebody a story, no matter how far-fetched it is. And he tailors his stories to whatever race he is speaking to as if it will make them feel better no matter how absurd it may be. Thankfully, now that I'm going back to full duty, I won't have to hear him again

I was waiting for him to make a mixed culture thread and ask every 2 pages why he can't get hard to one side of his culture lol. And how everyone mixed should identify with their white or better side (in his opinion).

I'm laughing at 1960's. He must be old.

Master Milk said:

No tears shed from me. I'm not a fan of the junior either.

Top Bottom