• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Londa

Banned
Timedog said:
I'm only half black, but I'm definitely full GAFrican. Just thought I'd put that out there.

All that matters is what you identify with. Don't let anyone tell you other wise.

Black people love to bring each other down with standards of what a real black person is. Shocked that there is really a test to see how much black is in you. smh

Londa said:
All that matters is what you identify with. Don't let anyone tell you other wise.

Black people love to bring each other down with standards of what a real black person is. Shocked that there is really a test to see how much black is in you. smh

The first is definitely what matters the most. I recall one time I was at work and I was helping a guy out, I guess his girlfriend didn't like my tone or something. Mind you I speak to everyone in a very respectful and proper manner (I don't see why I shouldn't). Anyway I recall her saying "so f*&!ing proper". I'm thinking huh did I say something wrong? I'm sure I conducted myself well enough. Then I over heard the bolded. I was like oh...meh whatever.

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
The first is definitely what matters the most. I recall one time I was at work and I was helping a guy out, I guess his girlfriend didn't like my tone or something. Mind you I speak to everyone in a very respectful and proper manner (I don't see why I shouldn't). Anyway I recall her saying "so f*&!ing proper". I'm thinking huh did I say something wrong? I'm sure I conducted myself well enough. Then I over heard the bolded. I was like oh...meh whatever.

what makes me laugh is that standard english is proper to the adverage black person in america. XD

I like to laugh at people who go wtf when they see a british black person talk. XD!

Londa said:
what makes me laugh is that standard english is proper to the adverage black person in america. XD

I like to laugh at people who go wtf when they see a british black person talk. XD!

Haha, I had some black tourist from England shop at my job, they were really cool. They shared that folks are really laid back over in their neighborhood and not so "angry" like us Americans. It made me laugh

SmokyDave

No worries Londa, always happy to spread the love. He's a national institution over here.

Lebron said:
He's been knighted? Mind Blown.
He's the fucking man, of course he's been knighted!

In the late 90's, I used to have a sample of TrevMac saying 'Good Evening!' as my startup jingle on my PC.

spindashing said:
That's the first time I've actually seen a PC thread in my whole GAF tenure.

I've always see jokes of the PC being the "master race" here and there on several GAF threads, but I had no idea things were taken that seriously in some parts in GAF. I'm not knocking them at all, but it is quite surprising.

I've learned, not to joke in Gaming threads or at least keep my joking to a minimum. If I see any familiar faces/names, I'll let loose a little bit. GAF's moderation is ass backwards sometimes, but they do manage to run a gaming well quite nicely overall.
i've learned that joking is no joke on GAF after getting a month for this

The Faceless Master said:
i've learned that joking is no joke on GAF after getting a month for this

tumblr_lgig1y0VWy1qf7bkxo1_500.gif

I basically avoid as much gaming discussion as possible.

As long as I stay on topic in Sports-Age and Negro-Age, I'm golden.
You never know who will take something you say wrong, though. Streets is watching, and all that.

captmcblack said:
I basically avoid as much gaming discussion as possible.

As long as I stay on topic in Sports-Age and Negro-Age, I'm golden.
You never know who will take something you say wrong, though. Streets is watching, and all that.
GABOS

Game Ain't Based On Sympathy

So on an unrelated note, yesterday I was watching the old '90s cartoon Exo-Squad (amazing show, btw - WATCH IT ON HULU SON).

I was taken aback at the way they portrayed things like racism. The story of one of the warring factions, the Neosapiens, was particularly striking to me. Anybody ever watch this show?

Neosapiens = blacks CONFIRMED, real talk.

captmcblack said:
So on an unrelated note, yesterday I was watching the old '90s cartoon Exo-Squad (amazing show, btw - WATCH IT ON HULU SON).

I was taken aback at the way they portrayed things like racism. The story of one of the warring factions, the Neosapiens, was particularly striking to me. Anybody ever watch this show?

Yeah dont remember any plots though :(

Matter of fact when you said exosquad I thought of this at first for some reason

centurions_2.jpg

Memories getting all hazy.....

captmcblack said:

Wikipedia said:
The Neosapiens (shortened "Neos" or, derogatory, "Sapes"), featured in the science fiction animated television series Exosquad, are a fictional race of genetically engineered sentient humanoids.The brood mark is unique for every Neosapien and helps to distinguish them from each other, (presumably for the benefit of humans, as Neospaien characters comment more than once that human think all 'Neo's' look alike. A quiet reference to racial bias which is a common undertone in the series).Neosapiens are depicted as possessing many physical traits far superior to humans. These traits include greater strength, speed, stamina, hearing, and vision. In addition, they require very little food, have no need to sleep, and have a much greater life expectancy than Terrans. Indeed, Neosapiens have been genetically optimized in virtually every bodily attribute. This optimization is depicted as the result of the Neosapiens' creation as a slave race, and in the series they were primarily exploited to mine the hostile environments of newly-colonized Mars.
OH snap.

Dude, it's amazing.

They have interesting interracial/species stuff too.

First of all, the show has no "good" guys or "bad" guys; the humans should be the good guys, but they're fighting against a race of people they created and enslaved for generations to begin with. The Neos are fighting for their freedom and sovereignty, but they're on some extra-militant ish and their leader is like Papa Doc Malcolm X. Hitler, Esquire.

Then, the way the Neos interact with humans is crazy for a children's cartoon. They have one Neosapien that is a free man and chooses to work with the humans on their side of the war; he os absolutely perceived as "one of the good ones", even though there's inherent distrust of him to the point where he usually isn't specifically issued orders on missions. In fact, he's the pilot of a two person mecha - he essentially drives Miss Daisy.

Seriously.

It's incredible.

captmcblack said:
Dude, it's amazing.

First of all, the show has no "good" guys or "bad" guys; the humans should be the good guys, but they're fighting against a race of people they created and enslaved for generations to begin with. The Neos are fighting for their freedom and sovereignty, but they're on some extra-militant ish and their leader is like Papa Doc Malcolm X. Hitler, Esquire.

Then, the way the Neos interact with humans is crazy for a children's cartoon. They have one Neosapien that is a free man and chooses to work with the humans on their side of the war; he os absolutely perceived as "one of the good ones", even though there's inherent distrust of him to the point where he usually isn't specifically issued orders on missions. In fact, he's the pilot of a two person mecha - he essentially drives Miss Daisy.

Seriously.

It's incredible.
Damn, I'm going to have to check this out. Too many parallels not to ignore...

captmcblack said:
Dude, it's amazing.

Seriously.

It's incredible.

I would say that this would make a great thread.......but we know how that will turn out.

Obama in Ireland live feed on CNN

I think he got more love in Kenya :/

he is out on the street shaking hands with the people the Secret Service must be shitting bricks

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
soundscream said:
I would say that this would make a great thread.......but we know how that will turn out.

in current gaf? yeah, i would avoid that thread. even an x-men/black thread has the potential of becoming poisonous

captmcblack said:
There's taboo interracial/species love, slurs for Neosapiens in common speech, discrimination, media warfare...it's awesome.

Yeah.. a thread in regards to this would fail so bad and so fast. Still gets me why we can't talk about this like the intelligent human begins we are. Yet, threads about nonsense gets a free pass.

Parallax said:
in current gaf? yeah, i would avoid that thread. even an x-men/black thread has the potential of becoming poisonous

Xavier=MLK
Magneto=Malcom X

Its so obvious but the people on here can be so obtuse.

zero_suit

Urban Scholar said:
Yeah.. a thread in regards to this would fail so bad and so fast. Still gets me why we can't talk about this like the intelligent human begins we are. Yet, threads about nonsense gets a free pass.

Yeah, we saw how fast the black woman thread failed, and I'd wager something like that would be worse.

LosDaddie

Banned
Negro-GAF: What's your thoughts on catfish?

I ask because I'm lunch eating today at a catfish place with a black co-worker because apparently I'm "the only person in here who will eat catfish. These white people don't know what they're missing"...my co-worker's words, not mine. :lol I usually only eat out on Fridays, but he said he'll pay for me since he's craving catfish.

perfectnight said:
Wow that console vs pc thread is just awful. Gaming side is fucking ridiculous with those uber serious gaming threads.

I posted in there a couple times. Threads like that prove the only thing separating GAF from the horrid Gamespot System Wars forum are the mods/admins here. I guarantee the Top 20 posters in that thread are PC gamers defending some perceived slight against the PC. Same shit that happens on Gamespot. SMH

zero_suit

LosDaddie said:

I ask because I'm lunch eating today at a catfish place with a black co-worker because apparently I'm "the only person in here who will eat catfish. These white people don't know what they're missing"...my co-worker's words, not mine. :lol I usually only eat out on Fridays, but he said he'll pay for me since he's craving catfish.

Fried catfish is pretty good, and he's paying so it's all good.

Parallax

LosDaddie said:

white people dont eat catfish? thats new to me. i personally love catfish nuggets. put my favorite fish is the sand dab. bones be damned, i love the taste

Why can't PC gaming and console gaming exist simultaneously without prejudice?

I have all three consoles, and a gaming PC. I play PC games and console games. Shit, I even have an arcade machine in my apt.

Why should there be any issues with any sort of game, if the game's worth playing? I get that each machine has advantages for certain types of game, but at the end of the day, it's all games anyway.

Zealotry for any kind of gaming is just limiting your choices of good games.

SmokyDave

Parallax said:
white people dont eat catfish?
This white person has a simple rule: If it had eyes when it was alive but no feet, I ain't eating it.

captmcblack said:
They can, and do, just not on internet message boards.

Parallax

captmcblack said:

I have all three consoles, and a gaming PC. I play PC games and console games. Shit, I even have an arcade machine in my apt.

Why should there be any issues with any sort of game, if the game's worth playing? I get that each machine has advantages for certain types of game, but at the end of the day, it's all games anyway.

Zealotry for any kind of gaming is just limiting your choices of good games.

gaming culture is a mere mirror of society. we should be able to co-exist, but small differences are more than enough for for people to throw down for. sad, for sure

Parallax

SmokyDave said:
This white person has a simple rule: If it had eyes when it was alive but no feet, I ain't eating it.

it sounds like theres an interesting story to go with this.... but im aware that white people eat catfish. its just wierd to hear something like that.

LosDaddie said:

I posted in there a couple times. Threads like that prove the only thing separating GAF from the horrid Gamespot System Wars forum are the mods/admins here. I guarantee the Top 20 posters in that thread are PC gamers defending some perceived slight against the PC. Same shit that happens on Gamespot. SMH
I've heard the same thing. Last week at lunch an Italian co-worker commented he has to "trick" his wife into eating catfish or she won't eat it. He said there was history of negativity about catfish I guess it's seen as a fish for poor people only?
DrFunk said:
Catfish? Too many bones. And I even live in the South. I'm more of an Tilapia man.
That's why you only eat the nuggets my friend. So tasty.

Sent

MWS Natural said:
I've heard the same thing. Last week at lunch an Italian co-worker commented he has to "trick" his wife into eating catfish or she won't eat it. He said there was history of negativity about catfish I guess it's seen as a fish for poor people only?

That's why you only eat the nuggets my friend. So tasty.

I dunno, people believe catfish is a "bottom feeder" fish maybe? Tastes damn good though...

Top Bottom