• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Satch

Banned
Well, that was the last Oprah show. I didn't expect to cry but I couldn't hold it in at the end.

People will talk a lot of shit about Oprah, but I really can't help but to respect a fellow black woman that actually managed to make it, despite the molestation she had to go through as a child and the oppression that came with being black and female.

One of the most influential women in our modern world is a self-made black woman. That feels good to be able to say.

Londa

Banned
I used to wear my hair like this:

rb-short-curly-hair-9-0809-de.jpg

I would also add a hair band in the front to keep it back off my forehead. But now I've let it grow.

Londa

Banned
I can get my hair into a real fro if I let it dry without brushing it. However, I don't know how curly it will be :p.

Nolan.

So I got expelled today, for no apparent reason, four weeks away from finishing my course, I've never even been sent out of a classroom during my high school days.

Story:
I went in today had my headphones on, went into the office to get a curve ruler and my tutor just appears in front of my face screaming at me that i'm not allowed in there. Anyway I put it back, said 'ok' and put my headphones back on and continued with my work. About half an hour later another tutor enters the room and asks me to step outside to 'have a chat' I refused by saying 'i'm not interested'. She then calls me aggressive and paranoid for whatever reason. After that I put my headphones back on and continue working then about a minute later a guy comes in and asks me to leave the room. I cooperated and packed my stuff up and went with him. He spoke to me and says that he's going to have to send me home because my tutor doesn't want me in the room. I ask for a reason and he wouldn't give one, and even though I was calm he kept repeating 'chill out' every time I tried to speak and that 'it's my time now'. Anyway eventually he told me to go home and 'keep this...shut' (referring to my mouth) so I left. I forgot my book and went back to get it, the woman (tutor) that complained about me was in the room and immediately asks me to get out but I ignored and went to get my book anyway. Then she went to get the guy again, anyway long story short(er) he took my student card and said that he will have to expel me, got security to buzz me out. I've always tried to be civil etc but I am a bit confused does anyone know if they are allowed to do this without any warning, explanation etc.? I just want to get my qualification and move on.

Londa said:
I can get my hair into a real fro if I let it dry without brushing it. However, I don't know how curly it will be :p.
So, Londa ... I've noticed you noticing me so -- lol, kidding.

Nolan. said:
Snipped for Brevity.
At first I was going to tell you that this was the wrong thread for you to post something like that, but the story does intrigue me. It sounds very fishy. Is that your first sort of violation? I think getting expelled would be a tad extreme for doing what you did.

Edit: Also, on a tangent, while I may not have agreed with a lot of what Oprah has done, I do want to congratulate her for getting far in life when she had absolutely nothing to assist her when she was younger.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:

At first I was going to tell you that this was the wrong thread for you to post something like that, but the story does intrigue me. It sounds very fishy. Is that your first sort of violation? I think getting expelled would be a tad extreme for doing what you did.

Edit: Also, on a tangent, while I may not have agreed with a lot of what Oprah has done, I do want to congratulate her for getting far in life when she had absolutely nothing to assist her when she was younger.

I'm not that girl in the picture its just the hairstyle I used to wear. I posted my hair (only) in here. But I'm too afraid to post a full picture, because most people on this forum hate me. Proof:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431310

I'm trying to do the single thing right now. I still got some wounds, know what I mean?

btw, I know you wasn't serious. ^^

george_us

Londa said:
I'm not that girl in the picture its just the hairstyle I used to wear. I posted my hair (only) in here. But I'm too afraid to post a full picture, because most people on this forum hate me.

I'm trying to do the single thing right now. I still got some wounds, know what I mean?

btw, I know you wasn't serious. ^^
Talk to me, Londa. I'm a doctor.

Londa

Banned
george_us said:
Talk to me, Londa. I'm a doctor.

2 year relationship that I thought would last forever, ended two weeks ago. It takes time to heal. I just thought that he will stay friends with me if we ever broke up. But it seems that isn't happening.

Nolan.

spindashing said:

Yeah I did wonder about posting it here, and yeah this is virtually the first time iv'e ever been in any kind of trouble. I phoned one of the tutors that left last year for reasons unknown at the time and she gave me a few names to call and a few to avoid, because apparently there is a little 'clique' going on. She did ask me if I think it might be because the woman felt intimidated by my appearance and if it might have been a colour thing (my ex tutor is Caucasian) and I said I hope not and dismissed it slightly as maybe her thinking too much. Though she then went into some reasons as to why she left, including things she had observed, overheard during her time with them and had reported as being unprofessional so then it kind of made me wonder. Particularly since it mirrors their movements with me in some ways. However iv'e always made an active effort to not use my skin tone to complain so i'm going to try and write a letter explaining the situation without it seeming too accusatory.

sorry for shifting the topic slightly by the way people, think I just wanted to write down what happened.

george_us

Londa said:
2 year relationship that I thought would last forever, ended two weeks ago. It takes time to heal. I just thought that he will stay friends with me if we ever broke up. But it seems that isn't happening.
Truth be told, you guys not being friends is for the best.

Men and women can rarely be "just friends".

Londa said:
But I'm too afraid to post a full picture, because most people on this forum hate me. Proof:
If you have haters, you know you're doing something right. Fuck 'em.

I just thought that he will stay friends with me if we ever broke up. But it seems that isn't happening.
Londa, you must promise to me that if you ever break up with someone in the future, you do not say these following words or a variant of said words: "Can we stay friends?" It is the destroyer of worlds.

You'll be fine; we've all gone through that unfortunate long-term relationship that abruptly ends. We've got your back.

Nolan. said:
Yeah I did wonder about posting it here, and yeah this is virtually the first time iv'e ever been in any kind of trouble. I phoned one of the tutors that left last year for reasons unknown at the time and she gave me a few names to call and a few to avoid, because apparently there is a little 'clique' going on. She did ask me if I think it might be because the woman felt intimidated by my appearance and if it might have been a colour thing (my ex tutor is Caucasian) and I said I hope not and dismissed it slightly as maybe her thinking too much. Though she then went into some reasons as to why she left, including things she had observed, overheard during her time with them and had reported as being unprofessional so then it kind of made me wonder. Particularly since it mirrors their movements with me in some ways. However iv'e always made an active effort to not use my skin tone to complain so i'm going to try and write a letter explaining the situation without it seeming too accusatory.
Good. A lot of people need to do that more; people are too quick to label something as an act of discrimination without proper proof. I understand racism/discrimination happens every day, but without proper proof, they will just fall right on their faces.

If it really is your first offense, then I really think this was an overreaction. Deep down, I feel you were about to see something that you was not supposed to see. Why would the other tutor tell you to keep your mouth shut and not give you any valid reasonings as to why you were in trouble?

I really hope this isn't a race issue.

Londa

Banned
george_us said:
Truth be told, you guys not being friends is for the best.

Men and women can rarely be "just friends".

He moved away, so its not like we could be more than friends. I just wanted to talk to him about art and our common interests. He was so interested in black culture, even though he wasn't black. A lot of the things he talked about made me think. Its so hard to find people that make me think about things I would have usually brushed aside.

But everyone is saying friendship is a no, go. So I gave up. But I do know he is friends with his ex from highschool. So its up to interpretation.

Nolan.

spindashing said:
If you have haters, you know you're doing something right. Fuck 'em.

Londa, you must promise to me that if you ever break up with someone in the future, you do not say these following words or a variant of said words: "Can we stay friends?" It is the destroyer of worlds.

You'll be fine; we've all gone through that unfortunate long-term relationship that abruptly ends. We've got your back.

Good. A lot of people need to do that more; people are too quick to label something as an act of discrimination without proper proof. I understand racism/discrimination happens every day, but without proper proof, they will just fall right on their faces.

If it really is your first offense, then I really think this was an overreaction. Deep down, I feel you were about to see something that you was not supposed to see. Why would the other tutor tell you to keep your mouth shut and not give you any valid reasonings as to why you were in trouble?

I really hope this isn't a race issue.

Oh shoot I didn't even think of that, it makes more sense.

Londa said:

I can't tell if this is a joke in reference to recent threads...

If it's not, I'm sorry to hear about your break-up. Things will work out some way or another. They always seem to.

It is, in my experience, a little unreasonable to expect that someone will remain your friend after a break-up (from either direction). If they do, great, but if they don't, it's better if you weren't expecting they would.

Londa

Banned
KidGalactus said:

If it's not, I'm sorry to hear about your break-up. Things will work out some way or another. They always seem to.

It is, in my experience, a little unreasonable to expect that someone will remain your friend after a break-up (from either direction). If they do, great, but if they don't, it's better if you weren't expecting they would.

my life experience is not a joke to anything on this forum, and I don't lie about things like this. Someone asked me what happen, that is why its in here. I'm sorry that, it disturbed you, or made you feel as if you was being tricked, or joked on. But I am not sorry for saying anything related to my relationship that I had asked for advice on in the Girl Age thread because the Boy Age thread is more focused on gay relationships even tho straight relationships are welcomed. I did try to talk about it in there, but it seemed strange.

When I asked to remain friends, he agreed with me. But as soon as I left to go home. He ignored all calls and messages. That is basically all there is to it.

KidGalactus said:

Why would you even consider it to be a joke?

And Londa, it'll be alright.

Nolan. said:
So I got expelled today, for no apparent reason, four weeks away from finishing my course, I've never even been sent out of a classroom during my high school days.

Story:
I went in today had my headphones on, went into the office to get a curve ruler and my tutor just appears in front of my face screaming at me that i'm not allowed in there. Anyway I put it back, said 'ok' and put my headphones back on and continued with my work. About half an hour later another tutor enters the room and asks me to step outside to 'have a chat' I refused by saying 'i'm not interested'. She then calls me aggressive and paranoid for whatever reason. After that I put my headphones back on and continue working then about a minute later a guy comes in and asks me to leave the room. I cooperated and packed my stuff up and went with him. He spoke to me and says that he's going to have to send me home because my tutor doesn't want me in the room. I ask for a reason and he wouldn't give one, and even though I was calm he kept repeating 'chill out' every time I tried to speak and that 'it's my time now'. Anyway eventually he told me to go home and 'keep this...shut' (referring to my mouth) so I left. I forgot my book and went back to get it, the woman (tutor) that complained about me was in the room and immediately asks me to get out but I ignored and went to get my book anyway. Then she went to get the guy again, anyway long story short(er) he took my student card and said that he will have to expel me, got security to buzz me out. I've always tried to be civil etc but I am a bit confused does anyone know if they are allowed to do this without any warning, explanation etc.? I just want to get my qualification and move on.

Im trying to understand, you got expelled from your school?

By a tutor?

Nolan. said:
Oh shoot I didn't even think of that, it makes more sense.
Yeah. I hope everything gets sorted out, man.

george_us said:
Ugh I need to take this to heart. Caring too much about what other people think holds me back so much.
I used to be like that. As pathetic as it may sound, it used to eat at me inside whenever someone did not like me. I'm not sure how I did it or what was the turning point but I've learned to live with/ignore things like that for the most part.

Don't like me or what I've said? I'm not going to force you to like me or change the way you think of me. I know where my friends are and I know where my enemies are.

Life's too short to worry over trivial things like that. Stress isn't good for anyone and since Blacks are more likely to have hypertension/high blood pressure, it's 2x as good to avoid it all. =)

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
Yeah. I hope everything gets sorted out, man.

I used to be like that. As pathetic as it may sound, it used to eat at me inside whenever someone did not like me. I'm not sure how I did it or what was the turning point but I've learned to live with/ignore things like that for the most part.

Don't like me or what I've said? I'm not going to force you to like me or change the way you think of me. I know where my friends are and I know where my enemies are.

Life's too short to worry over trivial things like that. Stress isn't good for anyone and since Blacks are more likely to have hypertension/high blood pressure, it's 2x as good to avoid it all.
=)

Truth x10

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Why would you even consider it to be a joke?

And Londa, it'll be alright.

There were a couple of threads lately about being friend-zoned, specifically by an ex. I didn't mean to come off as annoyed, or 'disturbed' by your post, Londa. I do apologize, if I did. The GAF meta-game many engage in has dulled my sense of internet reality.

Just posting my 2, as I will from time to time. Like I said, I'm sorry about your break-up.

Londa

Banned
KidGalactus said:
There were a couple of threads lately about being friend-zoned, specifically by an ex. I didn't mean to come off as annoyed, or 'disturbed' by your post, Londa. I do apologize, if I did. The GAF meta-game many engage in has dulled my sense of internet reality.

Just posting my 2, as I will from time to time. Like I said, I'm sorry about your break-up.

I just read something that kind of put me to reality. Basically it goes something like this (I'm writing this in my own words):

If he dumps you its because he didn't feel you was the right person for him. No one would let go of someone they couldn't live without.

Truth is that I didn't make him happy. Twice he told me during the relationship that he wasn't happy. I was just too stupid with my own feelings. I forced myself to see only the good.
Being friends is impossible and I gave up being friends last week. I never knew how much it could hurt to be ignored.

Moving on...

Black gaf, sorry for derailing.

Anyone else happy about the Martin and Malcolm X thread? I love reading the stuff in there. :)

george_us said:
Ugh I need to take this to heart. Caring too much about what other people think holds me back so much.

It's easy to get caught up in things like that, but with anything you have to find balance. Just like you don't want to be too influenced by others' views, you also wouldn't want to shut those views out completely. I lean more on the opposite side. And that can lead you to being laughed at for asking about sunscreen. :p

Londa said:
Anyone else happy about the Martin and Malcolm X thread? I love reading the stuff in there. :)
I can't post in threads like that too much while at work. I get angry and frustrated at the ignorance of some people. Then I have to leave my office and deal with people who probably have some of the same views. It's like watching Rosewood then going into he office the next day.

Edit:

Just re-visited the thread, I see the morons had left by page 2. Some really good info in there.

Londa

Banned
MWS Natural said:
I can't post in threads like that too much while at work. I get angry and frustrated at the ignorance of some people. Then I have to leave my office and deal with people who probably have some of the same views. It's like watching Rosewood then going into he office the next day.

Edit:

Just re-visited the thread, I see the morons had left by page 2. Some really good info in there.

Pretty much, now its just people wanting to have good conversation.

Nolan.

soundscream said:
Im trying to understand, you got expelled from your school?

By a tutor?

Yeah I'm at college (or was), and it wasn't one of the tutors that teach me that expelled me, it was a guy that they called in.

DominoKid

Slayven said:
Well looks like Eddie Long settled out of court, for like 15 mil. I guess the building fund will have to start over.

i dont think its possible for me to get more jaded about the black church.

anyway. Bill Duke (You know you done fucked up right?) made a movie about the lightskin/darkskin thing
Dark Girls (trailer)

i aint really one to give this issue the time of day usually, but i will say that i've seen my mom have a complex at times about being darkskinned.

the movie looks like its gonna be pretty well done though. but it's probably gonna be a pity party. i dont think i heard one person say something like "i always knew/thought i was beautiful"

captmcblack said:
Her evil, octopus-like hold on womankind is finally over.

...right?
hey now, the Oprah show has made many women aware of some VERY important things like NEVER LET YOUR ATTACKER TAKE YOU TO A SECOND LOCATION.

that one is kind of a big deal.

plus some other important stuff.

DominoKid said:
i dont think its possible for me to get more jaded about the black church.

anyway. Bill Duke (You know you done fucked up right?) made a movie about the lightskin/darkskin thing
Dark Girls (trailer)

i aint really one to give this issue the time of day usually, but i will say that i've seen my mom have a complex at times about being darkskinned.

the movie looks like its gonna be pretty well done though. but it's probably gonna be a pity party. i dont think i heard one person say something like "i always knew/thought i was beautiful"
that preview is totally new thread worthy!

perfectnight said:
^ what thread would that be?

Specifically the MLK x Malcolm X thread.

But realistically, any thread in which black people are discussed explicitly results in some real S-rank tomfoolery.

[EDIT: oh god, the black girls = unattractive thread? that was a clusterfuck. imho, that's also a good thread to find out about how people really are in.]

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I have returned.

And there aren't nearly as many blacks in the army as I thought there would be.

Top Bottom