• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

captmcblack said:
If you lived in New York, I'd fix that for you.

Seriously though, there's no reason to *not* do new/fun/interesting stuff, especially if you have the time to do it.

Take advantage of the Summer - ride your bike, exercise, play around, go out with your friends, do whatever. Even something simple like just changing the venue where you do your regular stuff - like doing your art out in the park or at the beach or something - is fun.

Go to your local Slurpee proprietor, buy a Slurpee, spike it with rum/vodka/whiskey/whatever you like, and just walk around. Go gather your friends for an impromptu picnic.

Just go.

I like this man's thinking

Other than Summer school, I plan to hit the gym.

I've made a lot of new friends this year so I'll hang out with them more often too.

:lol @ spiking drinks.

Also, is it wrong that the majority of my iPod has hip-hop on it? I mean, I don't want to fall into a stereotype yet I don't really care what people think of my playlist -- if that even makes sense. I mean, I have other stuff too ranging from New York indie rock/some R&B/Funk/80s metal/alternative rock/european electro but the bulk of my playlist is hip-hop.

I love hip-hop.

Edit: I used to dabble in a little Japanese Rock/Pop back in the day. At first it was anime intros/outros then I actually got into a few bands: L'Arc~en~Ciel, girugamesh, Utada Hikaru, BENNIE K, m-flo to name a few.

Though the visual-kei style which sometimes results in males dressing as females is a no-no for me.

Londa

Banned
Kaizer said:
Well why not make a change? Last summer I went to Costa Rica on a school trip and had an amazing time. Of course a lazy summer can be fun as well, really just depends on your mood.

I wish I had the funds to do something like that.

captmcblack said:

Seriously though, there's no reason to *not* do new/fun/interesting stuff, especially if you have the time to do it.

Take advantage of the Summer - ride your bike, exercise, play around, go out with your friends, do whatever. Even something simple like just changing the venue where you do your regular stuff - like doing your art out in the park or at the beach or something - is fun.

Go to your local Slurpee proprietor, buy a Slurpee, spike it with rum/vodka/whiskey/whatever you like, and just walk around. Go gather your friends for an impromptu picnic.

Just go.

Thanks, I live in boring MD. New York is sounding really good right now. Why was I born in such a boring place? At least I'm not in South Carolina.

Problem is that I'm working full time. My ex and I was planning to go to the beach this summer but that isn't happening. He is in Miami living it up, while pretending that he dumped me out of depression.

I don't own a bike, but I plan to hit the gym this summer and try to keep it up for good. I think I need to, so I can keep a positive outlook.

Thanks for remembering that I like art. :). My car isn't working anymore so I can't visit the park, like I planned to this summer.

So I'll just end up hitting the gym and just work for the most part.

p.s. I've never drunk enough to ever get drunk. XD

Spin: yay I like Utada Hikaru too.

captmcblack said:

Just go.

Damn just took me back to freshmen year of college.
rubbermaid-3064-01-2-quart-plastic-mixing-pitcher-fg306401almd.jpg

2/3 kool aid

1/3 cheap ass voldka

I was entertainment for the night.

Kaizer

Banned
spindashing said:
Other than Summer school, I plan to hit the gym.

I've made a lot of new friends this year so I'll hang out with them more often too.

:lol @ spiking drinks.

Also, is it wrong that the majority of my iPod has hip-hop on it? I mean, I don't want to fall into a stereotype yet I don't really care what people think of my playlist -- if that even makes sense. I mean, I have other stuff too ranging from New York indie rock/some R&B/Funk/80s metal/alternative rock/european electro but the bulk of my playlist is hip-hop.

I love hip-hop.

Edit: I used to dabble in a little Japanese Rock/Pop back in the day. At first it was anime intros/outros then I actually got into a few bands: L'Arc~en~Ciel, girugamesh, Utada Hikaru, BENNIE K, m-flo to name a few.

Though the visual-kei style which sometimes results in males dressing as females is a no-no for me.
It's all good. I find the majority of the music on my phone is hip-hop besides a few bands like Radiohead, Animal Collective, Oasis, Sleigh Bells and some J-Pop/K-Pop like Teriyaki Boyz, m-flo, Utada, Namie Amuro and BIGBANG. Lately I've been listening to the Final Fantasy 13 Soundtrack though, it's great.

I often go through mood swings alot with music. Some weeks I want to hear nothing but R&B, other weeks Radiohead is the only thing I'll play and sometimes rap will sound like the worst thing in the world to me lol. So yeah my music playlists always change but hip-hop is generally always there.

Kaizer said:
It's all good. I find the majority of the music on my phone is hip-hop besides a few bands like Radiohead, Animal Collective, Oasis, Sleigh Bells and some J-Pop/K-Pop like Teriyaki Boyz, m-flo, Utada, Namie Amuro and BIGBANG. Lately I've been listening to the Final Fantasy 13 Soundtrack though, it's great.

I often go through mood swings alot with music. Some weeks I want to hear nothing but R&B, other weeks Radiohead is the only thing I'll play and sometimes rap will sound like the worst thing in the world to me lol. So yeah my music playlists always change but hip-hop is generally always there.
I go through the same thing actually. Last week was a 80s metal week nothing but Motörhead, Dio, etc.

I also play video game music. BlazBlue's OST is ridiculous.

Londa said:
Spin: yay I like Utada Hikaru too.
It sucks that she's on a hiatus, though. =(

Kaizer

Banned
spindashing said:
I go through the same thing actually. Last week was a 80s metal week nothing but Motörhead, Dio, etc.

Do you like her Japanese or American albums moreso than the other? I thought the American ones were okay, but her JP albums are far superior. Thank you Kingdom Hearts for introducing me to her years ago.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:

Oh, she is? That does suck. :(

Kaizer said:
Do you like her Japanese or American albums moreso than the other? I thought the American ones were okay, but her JP albums are far superior. Thank you Kingdom Hearts for introducing me to her years ago.
Her Japanese albums are so much more better. Although the American albums are great in comparison to other pop American artists, there was something about the overall production that did not sit right with me. Sometimes the lyrics were questionable in her English releases too.

"You're Easy Breezy and I'm Japaneasy." lol. But I did dig that song...

Kingdom Hearts also introduced me to her too. I also was so surprised to find out that she was born in NYC and actually attended school here.

Whenever a KH3 does come out, she better do the theme song.

Azure J

Summer plans:

- Hit the gym hardcore and finally look the way I feel I can. It's one thing to see yourself in the mirror and say "man, I'm kinda big/pudgy". It's another feeling entirely when you look and see that you can look damn fine but don't know how to get there. That's what I'd like to figure out now though.

- Find a good job. Goes without saying really since I'm going to need cash if "Azure's Summer Change Program" is going to take effect as of now.

- Practice more drawing and write more of my animation concepts/game design documents; also try to experiment with making one of these passions-tuned-hobbies into something bigger.

If I can accomplish even one of these I think this will be my favorite summer ever, but before any of that, I'm just out to have fun and relax myself.

Music:

Do't worry Spin, it's not that bad. At one point my Hip-Hop library dwarfed everything else that I had even though I pretty much just love music itself.

On that note, I really want to get into some good old school jazz, soul & R&B.

Tangent: Anyone else hyped for E3 this year? I swear E3 week is like one of the only times of the year I've personally mandated that I take the time off for if possible to just nerd out. It's like Second Christmas for me. :lol

AzureJericho said:
Tangent: Anyone else hyped for E3 this year? I swear E3 week is like one of the only times of the year I've personally mandated that I take the time off for if possible to just nerd out. It's like Second Christmas for me. :lol

Yes and since I now work 9pm to 7am I can watch everything live without having to take a day or two off.

Glad you all are planning to have a fun summer.

I'm stuck taking care of my terrible, terrible nephew from the inner depths of Hell. :\

E3 is the best week in June for me, ever since I went to my one and only E3 back in '05 (back before it was in June, IIRC). I barely get work done those days because I've got my headphones plugged into my work PC listening/watching the streams of the conferences!

RE: playlist diversity - your playlist isn't you, so who cares how much of what genre is in it? I've got something like 70 GBs of MP3s, and much of it is rap/hip-hop. Every Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, Tupac, Busta, Mobb Deep, MOP, Rakim, Gangstarr, Eminem, Mos Def, Common, Talib Kweli, Kanye, Wu-Tang, Ghostface, Raekwon, Big L, Roots, Dead Prez, Outkast, Onyx, Diplomats, Cudi, J. Cole, Wale, Drake, Currensy, Cage/Leak Bros, Wyclef/Fugees, and whoever else you can imagine has an album or EP is in there.

And why wouldn't they be in there? I'm a black kid from Brooklyn, born and raised. Of course I like rap/hip-hop. But you know what? I like so much other stuff too...so I've got game soundtracks, and remixes/OCRemixes, and anime OSTs, and J-rock, and indie music, and house/electronica, and classic 60s/70s rock, and everything else under the sun.

Listen to everything. Learn about everything. Be open to everything. You'll be better for it.

Lebron

I use to drive around blasting my Initial D soundtracks back during HS. Pokemon too, but that was more trolling than actual enjoyment.

Friend at another HS: "Hey, can you pick me up today?
Me: "Sure, just be waiting outside in the front"
*Pulls up to the front blasting Pokemon dance song*
*Friend acts like they don't know me and tries to calmly walk away as I drive along side them yelling to get in the car.

*shudders* I did like the trolling, though.

Londa

Banned
captmcblack said:
E3 is the best week in June for me, ever since I went to my one and only E3 back in '05 (back before it was in June, IIRC). I barely get work done those days because I've got my headphones plugged into my work PC listening/watching the streams of the conferences!

RE: playlist diversity - your playlist isn't you, so who cares how much of what genre is in it? I've got something like 70 GBs of MP3s, and much of it is rap/hip-hop. Every Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, Tupac, Busta, Mobb Deep, MOP, Rakim, Gangstarr, Eminem, Mos Def, Common, Talib Kweli, Kanye, Wu-Tang, Ghostface, Raekwon, Big L, Roots, Dead Prez, Outkast, Onyx, Diplomats, Cudi, J. Cole, Wale, Drake, Currensy, Cage/Leak Bros, Wyclef/Fugees, and whoever else you can imagine has an album or EP is in there.

And why wouldn't they be in there? I'm a black kid from Brooklyn, born and raised. Of course I like rap/hip-hop. But you know what? I like so much other stuff too...so I've got game soundtracks, and remixes/OCRemixes, and anime OSTs, and J-rock, and indie music, and house/electronica, and classic 60s/70s rock, and everything else under the sun.

Listen to everything. Learn about everything. Be open to everything. You'll be better for it.

I work during E3, but last year I would try to get the streams if I had time.

Lebron said:
I use to drive around blasting my Initial D soundtracks back during HS. Pokemon too, but that was more trolling than actual enjoyment.

*Friend acts like they don't know me and tries to calmly walk away as I drive along side them yelling to get in the car.

I read this while spilling some of my tea, man so awesome! Oh another thing I want to do during the summer is just forge some new social links(wow I made persona reference =p). I don't want to say summer fling(s) because that sounds cheap in my mind.

Lebron

spindashing said:
Her Japanese albums are so much more better. Although the American albums are great in comparison to other pop American artists, there was something about the overall production that did not sit right with me. Sometimes the lyrics were questionable in her English releases too.

"You're Easy Breezy and I'm Japaneasy." lol. But I did dig that song...

Kingdom Hearts also introduced me to her too. I also was so surprised to find out that she was born in NYC and actually attended school here.

Whenever a KH3 does come out, she better do the theme song.
I figured she was born here since I could actually understand her English songs compared to the other artists I would listen too where I had a easier time understanding their Japanese versions than the English ones. The mind boggles on that one.

Azure J

Lebron said:

I can't wait to get my car to do this kind of shit to people. I already told my siblings to watch out before one day I decide to come pick them up blasting some Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt OST on them.

I guess it doesn't work as well, because that shit is sooogood.gif.

I hate how people think I'm just suppose to listen to hip hop and r&b and anything else is considered "white" music or just weird looks. A lot of people just don't go out of their comfort zone I guess.

Anyways, my main summer goal is to get a job. In the meantime I'll start:
working out(too skinny lol)
start practicing with photoshop again
start drawing again
start writing poetry again
start clearing out my backlog

I think I'm also gonna start cutting certain people out of my life.

this summer i need to get my driver's license! i've been chilling with a learner's permit since 18. though i never actually needed to drive in NYC.

as for music, i was born and raised in the caribbean so i have a ton of soca/reggae/dancehall, that's probably 2/3's of my music. then a bunch of other stuff, hiphop, pop, soul, r&b, rock, metal, altrock, country and videogame music. pretty much everything except classical. ok, i may have a few classical tracks...

Azure J

eternalLightness reminded me that I need to start taming the many-eaded beast that is Photoshop (and to a lesser extent Corel Painter 12). I am determined to learn the process of digital painting in these two programs and have them as reference for a hopeful resume come hell or high water. :lol

The Faceless Master said:
this summer i need to get my driver's license! i've been chilling with a learner's permit since 18. though i never actually needed to drive in NYC.

as for music, i was born and raised in the caribbean so i have a ton of soca/reggae/dancehall, that's probably 2/3's of my music. then a bunch of other stuff, hiphop, pop, soul, r&b, rock, metal, altrock, country and videogame music. pretty much everything except classical. ok, i may have a few classical tracks...

Man I need to tap into my roots for this summer and get more Carribean music as well.

captmcblack said:

Damn. Tht's my playlist right there, LOL.

I've also been meaning to catch up on my manga/anime. I haven't been doing that at all this year. I've always wanted to get into One Piece; this might be the right time to read the manga.

I've always wanted to get into One Piece but the large amount of chapters that I'd have to get through looked too overwhelming. If I read a few chapters every day it'll be no problem.

I read Bleach too, though admittedly I'm behind in that too. I stopped when this new arc with Ichigo losing his powers started.

My favorite currently running manga is Fairy Tail. I'm a big Hiro Mashima fan; Groove Adventure Rave/Rave Master is a big favorite.

AzureJericho said:
This.
Edit: Spin. One Piece. Do it.

*nods*

captmcblack said:
One Piece is god of mangas.
But then again, I also voluntarily read (and love) Bleach, so my opinion is arguably wrong on manga.

Bro fist

spindashing said:
I've always wanted to get into One Piece but the large amount of chapters that I'd have to get through looked too overwhelming.

Spin look at it like this, instead of a massive series to read what you have is manga material for the whole summer. Well..more it depends on how much you like to read on a given basis.

Why read such a long manga like One Piece? Go for something shorter like Bleach.

Anyways my summer plans:

1. Summer classes, Calculus I and the History of Rock for my General Ed courses.
2. Work, I work at ShopRite.
3. Hang out with friends.
4. Trip to Jamaica.

Urban Scholar said:
Spin look at it like this, instead of a massive series to read what you have is manga material for the whole summer. Well..more it depends on how much you like to read on a given basis.
That's actually a good way to look at it and that caused me to read some chapters right now, lol.

@ChocolateCupcakes, I already read Bleach and Naruto; One Piece is the only manga series out of the big 3 that I haven't touched yet. Everyone tells me to check it out but I never find the time.

Plus Zoro's one of my favorite characters in all of anime/manga.

Azure J

I think (without naming the obvious stuff) One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, & Yu Yu Hakusho are the series that I can kick back with and enjoy repeatedly for long durations without getting burnt out on.

Also, Spin, this further confirmed that we are GAF rivals since Sanji > Zoro. That is a stylish ass motherfucker there. :lol

Azure J

One of these years, I'm seriously going to get my ass up and go to LA one part for E3 and another part for downtime in another part of the country by myself.

Lebron: Well played.

DominoKid

Ah the memories of Rurouni Kenshin.

the series peaked for me at the Soujiro fight. the whole thing's on Youtube and I watch it from time to time.

captmcblack said:

So true. I try to tell people there's a whole world of music out there. I really don't see how people can listen to one or two genres exclusively. If you give other stuff a chance, I think it's nigh impossible to not find stuff you like.

Considering that I'm new to the East Coast, I think I'll spend this summer checking out all the hot spots like Atlantic city, Virginia Beach etc. Any suggestions from East Coast-Gaf?

Kaizer

Banned
spindashing said:
I've always wanted to get into One Piece but the large amount of chapters that I'd have to get through looked too overwhelming. If I read a few chapters every day it'll be no problem.

I read Bleach too, though admittedly I'm behind in that too. I stopped when this new arc with Ichigo losing his powers started.

My favorite currently running manga is Fairy Tail. I'm a big Hiro Mashima fan; Groove Adventure Rave/Rave Master is a big favorite.
Hell yes, awesome show and manga. I remember watching Rave Master back on Toonami a few years ago, I was confused when I first saw Fairy Tail and wondered why they shared the same characters. Then I saw that's just his art style. Bleach has always been great, I'm liking what they're doing with the story now.

I can definitely vouch for One Piece, it's terrific. Ironically enough since we're talking about Summer Plans, about two years ago for Summer I did nothing but marathon through episodes of One Piece on the internet for a month. Started at like episode 140 and went all the way to 300-something, it was amazing. Also Zoro > Sanji any day of the week.

My summer plans:

I'm going to Miami, then on a cruise to the Bahamas and Puerto Rico in a month.
Bars/clubs, casinos, strip clubs, random trips to Canada, Cedar Point and random hang outs all Summer. I'm finally 21, I have no job, I have no school, and I have money in my pocket so this Summer i'm going nuts!

And as far as music goes...my taste varies greatly, though it's mostly rock...looking through my phone I have....

....As I Lay Dying, My Chemical Romance, Incubus, Lamb Of God, AFI, Alice In Chains, SoundGarden, Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga, 112, Usher, Cam'Ron, Katy Perry, Katy B, Crystal Castles, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Caribou, Blink-182, Trivium, Roscoe Dash, Eminem, DevilDriver, Toro Y Moi, Young Jeezy, U2, The Postal Service, Kanye, RadioHead, 50 Cent, Chili Peppers, Neverending White Lights, Boa, Last Alliance, Back-On, Lupe, Kid Cudi, La Roux, Kelis, KillSwitch Engage, Nirvana, InnerPartySystem, El Guincho, City and Colour, Drake, Bloc Party....yeeeah...alot.

Imm0rt4l

captmcblack said:
One Piece is god of mangas.

But then again, I also voluntarily read (and love) Bleach, so my opinion is arguably wrong on manga.
Seeing as One Piece is not another name for Berserk, yea you're wrong.

I like the first part of the Dragon Ball manga (with Kid Goku's adventures with Bulma etc) above everything else though.

Dragon Ball anime was top tier too. I still haven't finished the DS game.

Top Bottom