• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Lebron

Dragon Ball was the superior version, since all the side characters actually could do shit. Then DBZ came a long and turned into the Goku family wank fest.

zero_suit

Lebron said:
Dragon Ball was the superior version, since all the side characters actually could do shit. Then DBZ came a long and turned into the Goku family wank fest.

Yup, in DBZ everybody else got thrown to the wayside. :(

Londa

Banned
I just put together a Ikea desk all by myself.

Image of the desk I built (not my photo):
13429393.1.jpg

It will help me read the black culture thread better ^^

Londa

Banned
Master Milk said:
You should have gotten one of those adjustable desks so you don't die a premature death from sitting too much.

Where? Oh do you mean those desks that mount to the wall and close up to look like a cabinet?

I bought this desk because studying on the bed causing me to fall asleep and get nothing done. Me using it to read the Black Culture thread is just a plus. lol

Just in time for E3 too ^^

Londa said:
Where? Oh do you mean those desks that mount to the wall and close up to look like a cabinet?

I bought this desk because studying on the bed causing me to fall asleep and get nothing done. Me using it to read the Black Culture thread is just a plus. lol

Just in time for E3 too ^^
Nah, that sounds weird. Airplane chair desks, no thanks.

There was a thread awhile ago about how all the sitting we do is killing us. Some people started talking about adjustable desks to combat the problem. You can adjust the height so that you can stand at them instead of needing to sit. Apparently you'll live forever.

Lebron

Outside of seeing how MS will handle Kinect and Project Cafe, I'm not really looking forward to E3. Weird.

Nice desk, Londa.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Lebron said:
Outside of seeing how MS will handle Kinect and Project Cafe, I'm not really looking forward to E3. Weird.

the only thing i care about e3 wise is a hopefully announced ridge racer title for the ngp.

Imm0rt4l

the only game I still care about for E3 is The Last Guardian, I've been waiting patiently. I'm not mad that its not coming out this year, Ueda can take his sweet ass time.

Lebron

Nothing will ever top that joy from E3 '06.

@Imm0rt4l
I seem to recall reading that TLG wouldn't be at E3 or am I mistaken?

Parallax

Imm0rt4l said:
the only game I still care about for E3 is The Last Guardian, I've been waiting patiently. I'm not mad that its not coming out this year, Ueda can take his sweet ass time.

i forgot that even existed. what the fuck sony?

Parallax said:
i forgot that even existed. what the fuck sony?
Let him take his time. He earned it with SOTC.

I'm only looking forward to a few games in the next year: Deus Ex 3, Mass Effect 3, and Uncharted 3. I think UC2 has the best acting in any game ever. It has none of that over-exaggerated Mo-cap the Japanese like to do and the actors provide the voice while they're doing the Mo-Cap. I love it. More games need to emulate it.

I like that song a lot. Thanks for sharing.

As far as E3 goes, I want to attend an E3 at least once in my life. Living in NYC prevents that from being an easy task.

Ah well, maybe I can rope a couple of friends along with me someday.

Azure J

So random, but:

Londa said:
I just put together a Ikea desk all by myself.

Image of the desk I built (not my photo):
13429393.1.jpg

It will help me read the black culture thread better ^^

That is a cool ass desk.

Londa

Banned
it was so hard to build. This girl got a workout. lol

Nice desk, Londa.

thanks.

Master Milk:

I've never heard of any desks like this. I will have to look them up. Are they expensive?

Bento said:
Sup Black GAF

Thought I'd slip in here and share with you this wonderful tune:

Michael Kiwanuka : Tell Me A Tale

Michael-Kiwanuka-007.jpg

This is that SHIT right here.

Somebody came and decided to walk with Otis Redding or Bill Withers in 2011...I dig that. Let's see what other stuff he's got out, and what other stuff he comes out with. He has the kind of sound that might end up being Sunday chore soundtracks for future kids.

Parallax

Had an argument a few days ago about the lightning natives and bee. Apparently he's not black, but okinawan. I mean really....

Parallax said:
Had an argument a few days ago about the lightning natives and bee. Apparently he's not black, but okinawan. I mean really....

That's what the guy thinks? Clearly Bee and others are of color in the world.

Londa said:
Master Milk:

I've never heard of any desks like this. I will have to look them up. Are they expensive?
No idea. I didn't look into them when I first learned about them because it'll be a long while before I could even think about buying one. Report back whenever you get around to it.

Come on, a rapping ninja named Killerbee (Wu-Tang reference?). He's black.

I'm watching House of Payne. Bad idea. Although I commend Tyler Perry for making black sitcoms, this show doesn't have the flair the black sitcoms of the past have.

spindashing said:

I'm watching House of Payne. Bad idea. Although I commend Tyler Perry for making black sitcoms, this show doesn't have the flair the black sitcoms of the past have.

I could've saved you the minutes lost and told you that had you posted in here about it. No offense to fans of the show here but I say no thank you.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I respect Tyler Perry, knowing his past hardships and what he has made of himself today. However, I can't stand his work, and I can't help but feel offended and annoyed by the type of humor that is portrayed in his projects. Is that all he thinks black people are capable of finding funny?

Are there any of his works that I'm simply not aware of that are exceptions?

I just thought of a better idea--rather than watching an entire episode, I'll just watch a short clip.

Yup, knew it. I mean, they made a joke about the microwave being used to change the channel. I'm all for "lol so randum" and everything but... yeah. I don't know what to say.

And is it just me or do we end up talking about Tyler Perry a lot?

Parallax

Urban Scholar said:
That's what the guy thinks? Clearly Bee and others are of color in the world.

Lebron said:
What is this I don't even

spindashing said:

oh yeah. i asked him about the rhyming thing, and first he tried to give me some spoken word poetry bullshit, then revised his baseless argument to say that he rhymes most likely to reference hip hops growing influence in japanese culture. i just walked away from him after that. you wanna argue if buccha from air gear is black, fine. but bee and raikage are obviously fucking black and he truly couldnt admit it.

as for tyler perry, i was done with tyler perry when i heard a recycled robin harris joke on his show. 5 minutes was all i needed to come to the realization that his brand of comedy wasnt for me. the scary thing, is i know quite a few white people who just love the show. i dont have the heart to ask them why though

DominoKid

312132188.jpg

Dave looking like he can beat somebody ass now. Wtf?

anyway, I realized how much of a nerd I am. for the last hour i've been sitting here listening to 8-bit versions of popular songs. this shit sounds perfect for Megaman games.

perfectnight said:
Holy shit.. dave?

Now people will think twice before coming up to him and quoting Chapelle show lines

Urban Scholar said:
Hey guys read the latest Naruto?

http://i.imgur.com/xKeDQ.jpg[IMG]

Yo B![/QUOTE]

Even though he's sort of a stereotype I'm just overjoyed by the fact that he's featuring a black character let alone a village filled with them. It literally left me thinking "what the fuck?!" as soon as I saw him, then I saw his students, then I saw his whole village and the Raikage. It wasn't like Kubo Tite who sort of eased you into things with black characters in the espada and the gotei 13(and I think one of the [spoiler]fullbring people[/spoiler] might be black too) Kishimoto just threw this all at once out of nowhere. For like 6+ years no black characters showed up, then out of the blue BAM! a whole village filled with em.

I think they made killer bee a little too light in the anime though
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xFOgtkmD3ow/STaz2bKy54I/AAAAAAAAA1E/9MF4xy3sm4Y/s400/hachibi_rapper_by_Pokedex_Himori.png

at least in his first appearance, I haven't watched in a while so maybe they darkened him more to match his appearance in the manga.

lightless_shado said:
It wasn't like Kubo Tite who sort of eased you into things with black characters in the espada and the gotei 13(and I think one of the
fullbring people
might be black too) Kishimoto just threw this all at once out of nowhere. For like 6+ years no black characters showed up, then out of the blue BAM! a whole village filled with em.

at least in his first appearance, I haven't watched in a while so maybe they darkened him more to match his appearance in the manga.

You mean who I think in Bleach, I think so but we'd probably have to wait on the anime to see or a color issue.

I want to bring up One Piece but I'm going to

On the gaming side of things

Any who Mr. Kojima made a cool tech demo of his multiplat engine using a black character

hBVgP.jpg

I think that's cool.

Topher said:
I respect Tyler Perry, knowing his past hardships and what he has made of himself today. However, I can't stand his work, and I can't help but feel offended and annoyed by the type of humor that is portrayed in his projects. Is that all he thinks black people are capable of finding funny?

Are there any of his works that I'm simply not aware of that are exceptions?

I'd like to see him step out of the stereotype he's created with the Madea universe and go rogue. Maybe do some SciFi or something. That small cameo role he had in Star Trek was a small glimpse

Kojima gets mad props for using a black character. I'd be interested to see that character more, but it's most likely just for tech demo purposes.

Urban Scholar said:
You mean who I think in Bleach, I think so but we'd probably have to wait on the anime to see or a color issue.

I want to bring up One Piece but I'm going to

On the gaming side of things

Any who Mr. Kojima made a cool tech demo of his multiplat engine using a black character

hBVgP.jpg

I think that's cool.

one of the characters
spoilers
and wow @ that screenshot. Go away from the gaming side for a minute and you miss something big. Gonna go checkout the video(if there is one)

The screenshot just made me realize that in most of his MGS games there has been a black character, and they're usually very detailed too like Drebin or the guy from MGS3(his name escapes me at the moment)

Nakazato

Got to see George Duke Marcus miller David sanborne and Herbie Hancock last weekend.
Marcus miller did a 10 bass solo before Herbie went on Shat all over Herbie's set three song in to herbies set ppl were still talking about millers solo.

Also Dave is big as Fuck now.

Top Bottom