• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Topher said:
Just finished the first season of Luther from BBC. Amazing show. Love the dynamic between Alice and Luther.

Luther wants to smang bad me thinks.
I'm excited there's gonna be more of the show but glad it isn't gonna be drawn out for a long time.

Urban Scholar said:
I know this is off topic a bit but eternaLightness & Lebron may I ask who those whom those goddess in avatars are?
I know the chick in eternaLightness' avatar is Zoe Kravitz, Lenny Kravitz's and Lisa Bonet's daughter.

zoe_elle2.jpg

They've made a beautiful child. Not sure who's in Lebron's avatar.

dankir

DominoKid said:
312132188.jpg

Dave looking like he can beat somebody ass now. Wtf?

anyway, I realized how much of a nerd I am. for the last hour i've been sitting here listening to 8-bit versions of popular songs. this shit sounds perfect for Megaman games.

Dave is fucking beasting it?

Prodigy out of jail??

the fuck is going on.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
eternaLightness said:
Luther wants to smang bad me thinks.
I'm excited there's gonna be more of the show but glad it isn't gonna be drawn out for a long time.
What do you mean? It was only renewed for one more season?

BlackGAF, be sure to grab your free games on the PS3. It's also been confirmed that you can download games on alternate accounts so you can get all the free games they offer, lol.

Dem reparations. Big ups to Tiger uppercut reminding me to grab the free PSN+.

Edit: It's glitchy as all hell in the store right now, though.

spindashing said:
BlackGAF, be sure to grab your free games on the PS3. It's also been confirmed that you can download games on alternate accounts so you can get all the free games they offer, lol.

Dem reparations. Big ups to Tiger uppercut reminding me to grab the free PSN+.

Edit: It's glitchy as all hell in the store right now, though.

ZOMG

Is it possible to download those games with alt accounts and then get them accessible on one account? Like say I download Wipeout and inFamous with my main PSN (captmcblack) and then go get Super Stardust and Dead Nation with another account, and then Ratchet with a third account. Is it possible to somehow make them all playable on my main account?

Can we also get games from other regions?

captmcblack said:
ZOMG

Is it possible to download those games with alt accounts and then get them accessible on one account? Like say I download Wipeout and inFamous with my main PSN (captmcblack) and then go get Super Stardust and Dead Nation with another account, and then Ratchet with a third account. Is it possible to somehow make them all playable on my main account?

Can we also get games from other regions?
All of that has been confirmed. ಠ_ಠ I'm getting evrythang.

perfectnight said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK3go4-bw2k Prototype 2 trailer

Black main character!
YES. FFFFFF

And I actually stayed away from anything San Andreas related online. I can only imagine the backlash.

San Andreas is still my favorite GTA and I'll go as far as to say it's the best so far. (Vice City's dope too, don't get me wrong.)

oh man, gonna get me EVERY GAME. Wipeout, inFamous, Dead Nation, LBP, Super Stardust, Ratchet.

Then, gonna top that off with Pac-Man CE DX.

YUSSSSSSS

spindashing said:
And I actually stayed away from anything San Andreas related online. I can only imagine the backlash.

San Andreas is still my favorite GTA and I'll go as far as to say it's the best so far. (Vice City's dope too, don't get me wrong.)

Same here. On both points.

Also, you guys better get ZoE HD collection! Show dat support so they can make ZoE3 afterwards :p

kishimoto creating powerful black men in his manga?!? what is this i dont even...

oh and remember in the manga eyeshield 21 the team was saying panther has amazing athleticism cause he's black , page after of that stuff?? oh man that was too much even for me haha

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Black Republican said:
kishimoto creating powerful black men in his manga?!? what is this i dont even...

oh and remember in the manga eyeshield 21 the team was saying panther has amazing athleticism cause he's black , page after of that stuff?? oh man that was too much even for me haha

that panther shit was embarrassing for everyone. its like the creator had a hard on for black men.

Parallax said:
that panther shit was embarrassing for everyone. its like the creator had a hard on for black men.

I thought One Piece and the Davy Back fight was quite unbelievable as well. Ussop went on and on about the power of an Afro and thus we get Afro Luffy.

Brian Hawk from Ippo was nuts too. He's black but was portrayed as some wild American boxer with murderous tendencies? He was seen animal within context.

Heya BlackGAF, culturally interested white boy, here. I've got a question.

What do black folks mean when they refer to somebody as their cousin? Does that actually mean cousin or is it something else? The alternate usage of "minute" confused me for a while and I'm thinking maybe this is a similar situation.

MacGurcules said:

What do black folks mean when they refer to somebody as their cousin? Does that actually mean cousin or is it something else? The alternate usage of "minute" confused me for a while and I'm thinking maybe this is a similar situation.
For me it just means cousin or someone who is related to you but not immediate family or that explaining their blood relationship is difficult.

MacGurcules said:

Minute usage refers to a long passage of time in seeing someone. I.e "Man I haven't seen you in a minute" This fits when meeting some after a long time of months to years.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Just saw first class, and liked it for the most part.
Just wished they hadn't reverted to a classic but tired movie trope. Black guys always dies first. LOL C'mon man!

MacGurcules said:

"Cousin" in slang is interchangeable with "bro", "brother", "man", "son."

MacGurcules said:

it just means cousin, regardless of what degree and how many times removed.

kinda like how brother and sister mean full, half, step, adopted, whatever, they're just a sister and brother.

Lebron

In regards to First Class,

Of course when Shaw mentioned the "enslaved" part they had to zoom in on brotha man.
Also, of course said brotha man had to be the first one to die. Dude didn't even get a damn uniform!

Hollywood you ain't slick!

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Lebron said:

Of course when Shaw mentioned the "enslaved" part they had to zoom in on brotha man.
Yeah, the camera couldn't have zoomed in closer to his face when he said that. I sank down in my chair, smh.

Also,
he is the ONLY team member to die...full stop.

Dabanton

Lol i'm going to see First Class on Sunday

One of the best experiences in regards to that trope was watching deep blue sea at the cinema.

It was full of a lot of black women who screamed at the screen every time it looked like LL might die.

The cheers that went up when he survived the whole movie.

And the lols when Saffron Burrows got eaten.

Topher said:
Yeah, the camera couldn't have zoomed in closer to his face when he said that. I sank down in my chair, smh.

Also,
he is the ONLY team member to die...full stop.

I notice in reality shows and talkshows how whenever someone says anything that could be related to a person of color the cameraguy instinctually zooms in on the reaction of any person of color.

Reminds me of when I was in class the other day some girls were talking about white south africans and one of them was saying how surprised she was that there are white south africans, and I could feel her eyes looking at me, as if she was expecting me to chime in and say something.

Parallax

Urban Scholar said:
I thought One Piece and the Davy Back fight was quite unbelievable as well. Ussop went on and on about the power of an Afro and thus we get Afro Luffy.

Brian Hawk from Ippo was nuts too. He's black but was portrayed as some wild American boxer with murderous tendencies? He was seen animal within context.

im trying to think if one piece has any black people, but the closest thing i can think of are the fishmen tribe.

as for hawk. i wanted takamura to destroy his ass so bad. when he was smoking his ass so bad, that he started crying, i laughed loud. bitch ass.

and im glad you guys enjoyed first class. the comic book fan in me wont allow me to go, so im out.

Londa said:
Black Gaf, what are you looking forward to at E3?

btw is there a black gaf on facebook?

Uncharted
Batman
Assassin's Creed.
Any FF.

Lebron said:

Also, of course said brotha man had to be the first one to die. Dude didn't even get a damn uniform!

Hollywood you ain't slick!
Lol. I just saw this and mentioned it to my friend also.

Parallax

Londa said:
Black Gaf, what are you looking forward to at E3?

btw is there a black gaf on facebook?

the ngp is what im interested in. that and ngp ridge racer. scamco better not screw me over. i bought ridge racers one and the eastern only sequel.

I'm interested in any Final Fantasy game in E3 (Hopefully we'll get some new Versus info or Type-0 info).

I'd like to see possibly a Super Marvel vs. Capcom 3, more Soul Calibur V info and Tekken x Street Fighter/Street Fighter x Tekken stuff.

I'm looking forward to surprises too. NGP megatons, Cafe/Wii 2 megatons, etc.

And, I want to see some DmC news. Although I hate the design for Dante, if the game play is great enough, I may have to consider buying a copy.

As for a BlackGAF facebook, we don't have one of those but there are a couple of us on the NeoGAF Facebook group.

Every time you see a black guy, it's one of us, no matter how cliche or racist that may sound. :lol

Some news on Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6
Those Games were so much better in their PC/early console days :(

News on a Halo remake.

Forza 4

Last Guardian? Probably wont get any good info till TGS.

Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher 2(Xbox), Star Hawk, and hopefully a lot of surprises.

Top Bottom