• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

HomShaBom

Banned
DY_nasty said:
There are a lot in the army. (Weaves just can't hold up out here lol). Hell, some have better fades than me.
Haven't worked much with black women here, don't have any. Most I seen have the standard short ponytail.

Speaking of black people dying in movies, everytime I watch Deep Blue Sea, it kinda amazes me how LL Cool J managed to stay alive that whole movie. With friggin sharks!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
HomShaBom said:
Haven't worked much with black women here, don't have any. Most I seen have the standard short ponytail.
Two of my ds were black women and they had some of the tightest edge ups of all time. A lot of the black girls seem to be pretty afraid of going natural though. There are four girls in my platoon that got weaves just to have buns.

USD

eternaLightness said:
Speaking of black people dying in movies, everytime I watch Deep Blue Sea, it kinda amazes me how LL Cool J managed to stay alive that whole movie. With friggin sharks!
I don't know how this happened. After seeing Sam L. die, I was thinking there was no fucking way that LL would survive.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Neoriceisgood said:
Why do black people always die first in movies anyway?
I just realized, ll cool j is 2-0 when it comes to horror movies. That's gotta mean something.....

Vinrau

I know some people have posted their art before so I'll just throw this tattoo design up. It's designed for Virgo's but if anyone wants to use it be my guest.

That is fucking awesome. Nice. I'm not even a Virgo but I'm tempted to save that on my computer or use it as a cell phone wall paper.

My BlackBerry died though ... =(

Also, it's awesome seeing a lot of you joining the Facebook group.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432539

yhst-51691240779843_2161_511324788

Back of the shirt says "W/O Tomming"
lol

On the subject of black people called cool;

Why are black people in movies always so cool? (aside from that one who always plays in buddy cop movies, not the one with the annoying laugh but the other one.)

Does most of black gaf have an understanding of what an Uncle Tom is? Seems in that thread that peoples definitions are all over the place.

Big Baybee said:
Does most of black gaf have an understanding of what an Uncle Tom is? Seems in that thread that peoples definitions are all over the place.

I know I do but said threads are ones I stay away from given past outcomes friend.

dream

Big Baybee said:

I'm not even black and I know.

Ducarmel

Big Baybee said:
Uncle Rukus is the closest thing I can think of, never met anybody in real life I could honestly say is one.

Big Baybee said:
Yes? Like an overly obedient black person, right?

Ducarmel said:
Uncle Rukus is the closest thing I can think of, never met anybody in real life I could honestly say is one.
Uncle Ruckus is mostly a self-hating black person. I wouldn't fully describe him completely as an Uncle Tom.

Big Baybee said:

The character, or how it's meant today?

I hate that so many people seem to think that being an Uncle Tom is 'acting white'. For one, there is no way to 'act a race'. What does that even look like? Plain and simple ignorance.

But really, it's someone that participates in the metaphorical shucking and jiving and/or lowering of their own dignity in an effort to appeal to whites. That's the shit that I can't stand.

That said, I usually can't bring myself to bring down other blacks. If I see someone being an 'Uncle Tom' so to speak, I just wish him the best and hope that whatever he earns is worth it. We have too much tearing down of our brothers and sisters and not enough uplifting IMO.

Big Baybee said:

Putting down your own race and sucking up to another (likely white) for the sake of improved status.

Majority of the time it's ignorant and quite false but there are definitely a lot of black men out there who have done everything in their power to shred any evidence of the culture they grew up in, while genuinely seeming to have a dislike, if not a hatred for the things our race is typically known for.

It's definitely not just having a preference for a position in business and preferring white women though.

Big Baybee said:
Some of you need to post in that thread.

I would if I knew wtf it meant myself. At this point its a term loosely used to refer to someone acting "white" it seems, or selling out to white people, but what it really stands for is lost to me at this point.The term is thrown around so much its lost all meaning to me.

Urban Scholar said:
I'm amused that my post on the facebook group got people to talk. Hey I'm going to try and learn Spanish now.
Ever since I linked the GAF group, I've noticed at least 5 black people joining. Maybe more.

Ahaha.

Dali

Hey thanks you guys.

Spindashing: That's an awesome shirt. I busted out laughing when I scrolled down and saw it.

Urban Scholar said:
Good job sir
who are you on the group?
All black people look alike it seems. :lol

Not hard to find, my first and last names' first letter starts with my GAF user name's letter.

Dali said:
Hey thanks you guys.

Spindashing: That's an awesome shirt. I busted out laughing when I scrolled down and saw it.
The power ranger one?

I'm going to have to get it. Not sure how and when, but it will be in my collection someday.

eternaLightness said:
I just asked to join the FB group.
They may start making a "blacks only" thread.

What's everyone up to tonight? I got a dark caesar earlier and I'm feeling fresh.

Right now I'm watching a Team Sp00ky stream of Super Street Fighter IV AE. Can't wait for AE to be released on Tuesday.

spindashing said:

What's everyone up to tonight? I just got a dark caesar earlier and I'm feeling fresh.

Right now I'm watching a Team Sp00ky stream of Super Street Fighter IV AE. Can't wait for AE to be released on Tuesday.

I got a cut earlier too, watching the Heat & the Mavs go at it. During commercials playing Everyday Shooter on my PSPGO. Wanted to handout with peoples but no one hit me up...meh. I want AE on disc so I'll wait for that.

spindashing said:

What's everyone up to tonight? I got a dark caesar earlier and I'm feeling fresh.

A fresh cut=The ultimate confidence booster

I try to get a cut once a week, every week.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:

I'm drawing my gaf username backwards on a piece of paper, to get my mind off things. lol

Guys,

If any of you have been on a sun soaked holiday before do you use sunscreen? I got to use some for my tattoo but I don't know whether I should use some for my whole face and body?

Also where is the link to the facebook page?

Cheers

Mecha_Infantry said:
Guys,

If any of you have been on a sun soaked holiday before do you use sunscreen? I got to use some for my tattoo but I don't know whether I should use some for my whole face and body?

Cheers

Oh heck yes, I use sunscreen. I remember a middle school science teacher telling us that black people don't get sunburned. I tested that theory out on a hot Georgia summer day once and got burned like Back Draft.

Now, I'm only a medium brown, but I'll wager a guess that anyone will burn if they're in the sun long enough. Maybe I'm wrong? (lol)

computers putin' said:
A fresh cut=The ultimate confidence booster

I try to get a cut once a week, every week.
I get a shape up every week. I cut my hair down to a dark caesar every three or four weeks though.

Urban Scholar said:
I got a cut earlier too, watching the Heat & the Mavs go at it. During commercials playing Everyday Shooter on my PSPGO. Wanted to handout with peoples but no one hit me up...meh. I want AE on disc so I'll wait for that.
I can't wait for it on disc. Day one purchase; I have my PSN card ready, lol.

Londa said:
I'm drawing my gaf username backwards on a piece of paper, to get my mind off things. lol
This must be the most random post on the Black Culture thread ever, lol. Adnol sounds like some sort of drug too, lol.

Adnol - May cause hyperactivity. Don't take with other drugs or while operating heavy machinery. Consult a doctor before taking Adnol.

Mecha_Infantry said:
Guys,

Cheers
Here it is.

guess

Half-and-half said:
Oh heck yes, I use sunscreen. I remember a middle school science teacher telling us that black people don't get sunburned. I tested that theory out on a hot Georgia summer day once and got burned like Back Draft.

Now, I'm only a medium brown, but I'll wager a guess that anyone will burn if they're in the sun long enough. Maybe I'm wrong? (lol)

You are not wrong.
Use sunscreen.

Top Bottom