• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
lightless_shado said:
It's so bad it's good and to me she's cute.

With that said, since I imagine I'll have the minority opinion, I'll be taking my leave.

hJ9KY.gif

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Plywood said:

With that said, since I imagine I'll have the minority opinion, I'll be taking my leave.

hJ9KY.gif

that is still awesome

Black Republican said:
what does black gaf think of Kreayshawn ?

Plywood said:

DominoKid said:
her and her sister can get it. but they're lesbians so they don't want it.
but if they ever did though...

You guys answered well. I just add I'd holler at that vanilla too.

Bay Maximus said:
Is it bad that I'm going to download this song when I get off work? :(

Nope!

Hold on plywood posts in here? Welcome

Londa

Banned
Kreayshawn

Her eyes are so close together. Is she the same girl from that Far East Movement song? I like that song. But when I youtubed her, I got a crappy rap song that sounds like someone rapping with their nose pinched.

Londa said:
Her eyes are so close together. Is she the same girl from that Far East Movement song? I like that song. But when I youtubed her, I got a crappy rap song that sounds like someone rapping with their nose pinched.

Yes that's her in all her glory *weirdbasedswoon*

Mononofu

I bailed the hell out of that pony thread.

I'd get destroyed if most people knew about the weird stuff I'm into IRL so ponies are no biggie. It doesn't matters what other people think. Ponygaf just sets themselves up as easy targets for trolls with their crazy fanaticism.

Mononofu said:
I bailed the hell out of that pony thread.

I'd get destroyed if most people knew about the weird stuff I'm into IRL so ponies are no biggie. It doesn't matters what other people think. Ponygaf just sets themselves easy targets for trolls with their crazy fanaticism.

That's putting it mildly but I wonder about them at times.

I saw a pond with geese not too long ago. There was one that had black feathers compared to the others. In my mind I thought hey token black guy. I'm weird I know.

Urban Scholar said:
That's putting it mildly but I wonder about them at times.

I saw a pond with geese not too long ago. There was one that had black feathers compared to the others. In my mind I thought hey token black guy. I'm weird I know.
Haha, sounds like something that I would think of.

I remember last week, we were going to move a television from one club room to another in the student union building of my college. There were 5 TVs, and all of them were black except one gray one. We did not know which one to pick, and my friend (who is of Colombian descent) picks the gray one. I asked him if he had a problem with black TVs that I should know about, he laughed and said that they didn't work as good as the other TVs.

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
Bitch you ain't no Barbie I see you work at Arby's//
Number 2, super-sized Hurry up I'm starving

Simply Shakespearean lyrics...

I went wow.

grade school lyrics. She needs to get her GED in rap. o_o

Londa said:
I went wow.

grade school lyrics. She needs to get her GED in rap. o_o

Its all about image. I already said it but I feel it needs re-iteration. If you're not a skilled rapper, at least be funny and not take yourself seriously like based god or soulja boy.

With her its like she can't decide whether she wants to be funny or whether she wants to be a serious rapper. She's just nothing. Naturally she'll get more famous because lets face it, she's pretty attractive and has an aesthetic that pops out and grabs attention.

Which really sucks for female rappers that can throw down in a cypher and could use more exposure.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lightless_shado said:
Its all about image. I already said it but I feel it needs re-iteration. If you're not a skilled rapper, at least be funny and not take yourself seriously like based god or soulja boy.

With her its like she can't decide whether she wants to be funny or whether she wants to be a serious rapper. She's just nothing. Naturally she'll get more famous because lets face it, she's pretty attractive and has an aesthetic that pops out and grabs attention.

Which really sucks for female rappers that can throw down in a cypher and could use more exposure.

i wonder if talent will ever be able to win over gimmicks someday.

Parallax said:
i wonder if talent will ever be able to win over gimmicks someday.

I think those days are long gone. You need some sort of gimmick these days. You have to dress in outrageous fashions or come up with a ridiculous dance just be REALLY good looking. Even if you do have talent, people won't pay attention to you unless you can make yourself stand out. Being good just isn't enough anymore, you have to have an imitatable gimmick. Unsurprisingly its easier to find a more talented musician by way of music blog instead of listening to the radio or watching MTV

Old Lace

Lebron said:
Just finished purchasing my Final Fantasy: Distant Worlds and Lord of the Rings: FoTR concert tickets. No shame at all. Hopefully, I won't be the only dark spot in the building(wouldn't be the first time hah). Love me some good movie/VG orchestra music.
I went to Distant Words with some friends when it came to Atlanta. It was great. Whether or not you'll be the only dark spot in the place will depend on where you live, I suspect. I wasn't.

Lebron said:
And met R. Kelly the other day. Dude is weird. Though it was pretty funny seeing him get turned down by one of my friend's friend. She didn't want to smang with him hah
Maybe she didn't want to get pissed on.

Yasae

Banned
lightless_shado said:
I think those days are long gone. You need some sort of gimmick these days. You have to dress in outrageous fashions or come up with a ridiculous dance just be REALLY good looking. Even if you do have talent, people won't pay attention to you unless you can make yourself stand out. Being good just isn't enough anymore, you have to have an imitatable gimmick. Unsurprisingly its easier to find a more talented musician by way of music blog instead of listening to the radio or watching MTV
The music video certainly started the trend towards good looks. I think you still had plenty of good-looking talent come along in the 80s, 90s, and some of the 2000s, but it's gotten really bad now because the music industry is a fucking wreck.

My music publishing professor used to work for Almo and Universal. They definitely cared about looks - and that was the publishing side of it for chrissakes, the side that mainly handled licensing and catalogues.

Yasae said:
The music video certainly started the trend towards good looks. I think you still had plenty of good-looking talent come along in the 80s, 90s, and some of the 2000s, but it's gotten really bad now because the music industry is a fucking wreck.

My music publishing professor used to work for Almo and Universal. They definitely cared about looks - and that was the publishing side of it for chrissakes, the side that mainly handled licensing and catalogues.

Oh absolutely. I think that in the past a gimmick was more of an exception rather than a rule. Remember when Kanye started out? he was just a good producer and fairly decent rapper, but then he started to dress more outlandishly and then got a reputation for basically just saying whatever bullshit pops into his mind. People loved it and now that's who he is. The asshole who wears bright clothes and says whatever he wants and he just keeps milking it for all its worth.

Its like you have to become a meme in order for people to pay attention to you. This just reminds me about the britain's got talent controversy. Or Black eyed peas. Compare their appearance and music from 10 years ago to where they are today, or Rhianna when she released her first music video. Its just ridiculous and I'm thinking these gimmicks will just become so exaggerated until someone who shows up as a minimalist gains notoriety and everyone else follows suit.

Uh, I normally don't do this sort of thing but I'd figured people in this topic would be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MelinaPendulum

Basically, she's a black girl who's kinda a geek who posts a video or two occasionally talking about things. Unlike the majority of people on youtube who posts videos of themselves being vapid, she's quite intelligent and well spoken about a lot of things and not... I dunno... fake? Like she's truly genuine and not just doing it to get hits. She's also a writer who has some idea on what she's doing unlike me. I've been subscribed to her for quite some time and I really enjoy her videos.

Funny how I discovered her channel while looking for videos lambasting The Last Airbender.

And I really wish there was some way one could go back to how youtube used to show channels. Argh.

she's also kinda cute don't lump me with creepygaf pls

GrapeApes

DominoKid said:
her and her sister can get it. but they're lesbians so they don't want it.

but if they ever did though...
V-Nasty is a lesbian? I knew Kre was dyked out but V-Nasty? Highly disappointed.

NotebookJ2 said:
Uh, I normally don't do this sort of thing but I'd figured people in this topic would be interested.

Basically, she's a black girl who's kinda a geek who posts a video or two occasionally talking about things. Unlike the majority of people on youtube who posts videos of themselves being vapid, she's quite intelligent and well spoken about a lot of things and not... I dunno... fake? Like she's truly genuine and not just doing it to get hits. She's also a writer who has some idea on what she's doing unlike me. I've been subscribed to her for quite some time and I really enjoy her videos.

Funny how I discovered her channel while looking for videos lambasting The Last Airbender.

And I really wish there was some way one could go back to how youtube used to show channels. Argh.

So basically this is a female version of me.

she's 19, you're safe bro.

Londa

Banned
NotebookJ2 said:

Yes, there are black girl geeks in real life.

*Pinches self*

I've never dated a black girl, as stated before somewhere.

Farthest I've gone was my ex who was half black half white. She was pretty geeky, but not too geeky. I don't think I could keep up with a nerdier-than-me girl. They're some of the nicest girls and when it comes to getting presents they always give you that Sonic game you wan--

=(

spindashing said:

Farthest I've gone was my ex who was half black half white. She was pretty geeky, but not too geeky. I don't think I could keep up with a nerdier-than-me girl. They're some of the nicest girls and when it comes to getting presents they always give you that Sonic game you wan--

=(

To be truthful I don't think I could either but once I heard one yeah G Gundam is my favorite. 0_0.....:0 I'm sorry but I'm going to give it a go.

Urban Scholar said:
To be truthful I don't think I could either but once I heard one yeah G Gundam is my favorite. 0_0.....:0 I'm sorry but I'm going to give it a go.
Lol!

Good luck to you. I always get so amazed for some reason after hearing a black/hispanic girl mentioning anime even after being exposed to such girls plenty of times in my lifetime.

spindashing said:
Lol!

Good luck to you. I always get so amazed for some reason after hearing a black/hispanic girl mentioning anime even after being exposed to such girls plenty of times in my lifetime.

If anything it probably has more to do with the unlikelihood given the demographics of the subject matter. When you add this with women of color it adds more to the mystic of it all I suppose.

Londa

Banned
You guys should see my gaming collection.

Two big storage containers under the bed, half a bookshelf full of stuff, etc.

XD

DominoKid

spindashing said:

=(

nerd chicks are often better in theory than reality.

Urban Scholar said:
If anything it probably has more to do with the unlikelihood given the demographics of the subject matter. When you add this with women of color it adds more to the mystic of it all I suppose.
Such a rarity indeed. So when you see one, get your Pokeballs ready.

I also agree with you, DominoKid. I guess there must be dudes out there into the completely nerdy chicks, but that's not for me.

Stfu Londa keep your games to yoself. >_> <_<

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
Such a rarity indeed. So when you see one, get your Pokeballs ready.

I also agree with you, DominoKid. I guess there must be dudes out there into the completely nerdy chicks, but that's not for me.

Stfu Londa keep your games to yoself. >_> <_<

Pokeballs ready? sexual reference I suppose?

Well I have seen a fair share if geek girls that are cringe worthy. But if you find a girl that is mellow and likes games, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Just stay away from the geek girls that always have some anime and game reference inserted into all of their conversations. They will also have some type of Hot Topic shirt or jacket and will at times wear a neko kawaii hat with kitty ears. Run far away from those type.

Londa said:
Pokeballs ready? sexual reference I suppose?

Well I have seen a fair share if geek girls that are cringe worthy. But if you find a girl that is mellow and likes games, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Just stay away from the geek girls that always have some anime and game reference inserted into all of their conversations.
They will also have some type of Hot Topic shirt or jacket and will at times wear a neko kawaii hat with kitty ears. Run far away from those type.

Yeah that's the red flag to stay away from, the "typical fangirl type".

Londa

Banned
What is everyone's personality?

Mines would be a mix of artist, gamer, tech nerd, and a pinch of geek. XD
I wear glasses, V neck shirts, skinny jeans, and I love to layer.

hipster artist geek.

lol

(I do not listen to hipster music)

Top Bottom