• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

SmokyDave

Mecha_Infantry said:
Epic Post...
I really appreciate the effort you put into that post, thanks.

Where is Roots Manuva though?

Himuro said:
Uh, Smokey, you made some great posts and eloquently expressed your feelings. You didn't do some half-assed "WHY WE AIN'T GOT A WHITE CULTURE THREAD?", you reasoned with us with sound logic.

So apology accepted, although it wasn't exactly needed. :D
It felt needed, I was overly dismissive.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Scribble said:
I don't really expect black people in anime -- they have problems depicting themselves accurately :lol

Yeah bruv

So true. Man, watching anime, I just cannot believe what the fuck is being depicted on screen. All of these caucasian characters, are supposed to be japanese? :lol

Himuro said:
I saw a dude with a high fade in one of those videos, Mecha Infantry posted. :lol

Oh dear.

Seeing a black person with a british accent is...eerie to me.

And that UK hip hop is...different.

:lol..I told you fam, quite different than what the BlackUS boys are used to :lol

One difference though, it's not hip-hop. Most of that stuff is alternative. The hip-hop is right at the bottom. NOthing really to hate about that

Veidt

see5harp said:
Stop bumping threads with Massive Attack dude. I love that album too though.
Shaddap!

Massive Attack is greatness.

SmokyDave said:
I really appreciate the effort you put into that post, thanks.

Where is Roots Manuva though?

It felt needed, I was overly dismissive.

I forgot dude, up some stuff! I forgot so much as I didn't plan that post. Was literally from my YouTube Favourites

Needs some Rodney P and Black Twang!

So Rotten- Black Twang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rliLgoNXvfI&feature=related

Veidt said:
Shaddap!

1/2 or now 1/3 black too :). WHere do you think their history traces back to? Drum & Bass/JUngle (ignore that if you're from the UK and you know that already)

Scribble

Veidt said:
So true. Man, watching anime, I just cannot believe what the fuck is being depicted on screen. All of these caucasian characters, are supposed to be japanese? :lol

I'd love to see more of this in anime:
2ziadxe.jpg

see5harp

Veidt said:
Shaddap!

Greatness a decade ago....I still have my singles box set and shit is so old it doesn't change colors anymore. I saw them about 5 years ago with DJ Shadow and it was sad how both of them kinda suck these days. I know you like Heglioland, but Massive Attack is a truly boring live act, even in the Mezzanine days (I saw them do Mezzanine too).

Veidt

see5harp said:
Greatness a decade ago....I still have my singles box set and shit is so old it doesn't change colors anymore. I saw them about 5 years ago with DJ Shadow and it was sad how both of them kinda suck these days. I know you like Heglioland, but Massive Attack is a truly boring live act, even in the Mezzanine days (I saw them do Mezzanine too).
Damn.

I never go to live acts . I don't understand the incentive people have to go those shows.

see5harp

Mecha_Infantry said:
1/2 or now 1/3 black too :). WHere do you think their history traces back to? Drum & Bass/JUngle (ignore that if you're from the UK and you know that already)

Hip hop, soul, disco/dance..if you listen to Blue Lines it's sorta like a PM Dawn/Soul II Soul sorta thing with a little bit of street grime.

Himuro said:
- Where you're from
Maryland
- Where you live
DC
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
African, American, Dominican, Haitian
- Do you know your roots?
My Dominican and Haitian side come from my Grandmother on my father's side, and since I'm not close and didn't grow up with father I don't know much about it.
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
R&B Hip Hop Reggaeton
- Your profession/major/career interest
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. I teach Marine Corps Martial Arts. I'm also do Data Networking. Career interest is Personal Training, Mobile App Programing, and Data Networking.
- Your religious affiliation
I believe in God whole heartedly!
- Hobbies
Human Interaction! I believe we spend way too much time on our computers and cell phones!

Since we're on a gaming forum, it could be conclusive that you're more on the geeky side so let's start with a more general question:

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?
Nope, my life is the shit! Great friends, Great Jobs, Great Weather, Great Great. I'm great!

Let me start by saying this is the first time I'm posting in the Black Culture thread because I was soooo up set about Negro-Age & Hispanic-Age. I'm back now! ...and y'all know I was heavy on the Negro-Age.

Himuro said:
I saw a dude with a high fade in one of those videos, Mecha Infantry posted. :lol

Oh dear.

Seeing a black person with a british accent is...eerie to me.

And that UK hip hop is...different.

I gotta quote this again, but don't think I am calling you out

This is generally what I find quite odd with Americans. Your fish bowl syndrome is beyond my reasoning! I know black people with British accents might sound odd to you, but famo that's the world. You ever heard an Aussie black, or an Danish black, Scottish black (that will blow your mind), Irish or Welsh black?

i find sometimes African American culture to Americans really does mean Black American, most definitely not African American, and personally I think you should be referred to as black, not African Americans, as you are so far away from Africa as a whole, especially regarding culture

But Blacks with British accents should mean that you should maybe seap out of your usual zone and take a look at black people across all over the world. We shouldn't be alien to you. THat's like whites saying "There are white people with African accents?". Coming from their mouth it will sound ignorant and damn near racist to some, but to our own community we act blind to the ignorance. Us British blacks are the closet people you have to brothers from another country, but I feel the love is only ever from us to you, not vice versa

Fair enough no one understands our music! But we do and I feel sometimes Black Americans are the least likely to ever want to accept any other black culture from another country, and I mean more than just the music and our weird voices...There are black people all over this world, go check them out

**Again this isn't at you as Himuru, this is you as black Americans**

Veidt

Himuro said:
One of my professors had an English accent. She was from Africa.

But I've never met a black person with an English accent. Not saying it's odd, because it's not, just haven't really heard it before outside of Snatch.

Not saying that black people = black Americans only to me either, I just haven't heard black people with English accents often.

It's like that video with the Chinese lady with the Jamaican accent. It just blows my mind.
You know what accent i have?
The dude from Distric 9, if I don't control it. ( I've been sounding a bit more american lately though).

Himuro said:

But I've never met a black person with an English accent. Not saying it's odd, because it's not, just haven't really heard it before outside of Snatch.

Not saying that black people = black Americans only to me either, I just haven't heard black people with English accents often.

It's like that video with the Chinese lady with the Jamaican accent. It just blows my mind.

Yeah, don't think I'm getting at you directly, but I have met many people who are freaked out by it. One person I recall didn't know there were black people in the UK :S

BUt this is what discovery and exploration is all about you know. I don't know if you've travelled, but haven't you even seen like black people on English TV or in interviews/sports?

SmokyDave

Himuro said:

This man is the British genesis of the phrase "He speaks so well".

Himuro said:

I'm Jamaican and whenever I go there I always see something like that and it still surprises me.

Himuro said:

Funny you say that with your avatar of choice lol.

Salazar

Veidt said:
Damn.

I never go to live acts . I don't understand the incentive people have to go those shows.

I'm pretty much down to either going to festivals or seeing bands in pubs. No in-between, really.

Veidt

crazy monkey said:
quote for people who might miss it or care.
There's also a boatload of indians in Somalia. Heck, I've had Indians come up to me and speak Somali. :lol

Both have had relations now for thousands years. Somalia was the port to the African continent, so a lot of interaction with Asian culture occurred naturally.

Veidt said:
There's also a boatload of indians in Somalia. Heck, I've had Indians come up to me and speak Somali. :lol

there is huge amount of people indian people in africa in genral. If it weren't for few incidents in past few decades you would have seen many more of them doing business there I know many indians who came from africa to canada and england.

see5harp

Chinese Jamaicans do actually trip me out. That dude playing for the Patriots has the last name Chung. A year or two ago they had an article in Fader about the Chinese participation in the music scene in Jamaica.

see5harp said:
Chinese Jamaicans do actually trip me out. That dude playing for the Patriots has the last name Chung. A year or two ago they had an article in Fader about the Chinese participation in the music scene in Jamaica.

I worked with a cat once that was Chinese and was born and raised in my father's home country, Belize.

Tripped me the heck out.

The guy was super cool but it was wild...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Himuro said:

You.. you never saw Snatch?

Salazar

Himuro said:
I've seen black folks with British accents but man, I'm sorry. It's just not common over here and English tv certainly doesn't get much play.

Craig Charles and Danny Jules in Red Dwarf spring to mind. Although Danny, playing Cat, doesn't really have much of a British accent, Craig certainly does.

You have seen Red Dwarf, right ?

Guys I'll be honest, with gaming being as a hobby I'm still a bit perturbed ethnicities(in general) aren't really in them. You can imagine how I feel when my main genre of choice is RPGs as well. I apologize if this was discussed in some form, just wanted to make that point.

Ne(gr)o GAF, it's time to talk about one of those topics black people hate to bring up.
One of those things that makes you hang your head in shame every time someone dares to speak about it in public. I feel it's time though that we owe the rest of the world an apology, or an explanation.

Black people- why did we do THIS

the_wiz_2.jpg

to the wizard of Oz??

Himuro said:
The Wiz is amazing.

The Wiz is soul crushing. Unwatchable. Diana ross is trying to pass herself off as Dorothy at what...40 years old? The wicked witch of the west gets flushed down a giant toilet!

The Wiz was so bad it set black film back a decade. I love to whip out terrible films to torture friends with, but even I can't bring myself to watch that one again. It's the Troll 2 of blaxsploitation films.

Enzom21

Manmademan said:
Ne(gr)o GAF, it's time to talk about one of those topics black people hate to bring up.
One of those things that makes you hang your head in shame every time someone dares to speak about it in public. I feel it's time though that we owe the rest of the world an apology, or an explanation.

Black people- why did we do THIS

to the wizard of Oz??
Make the god awful wizard of oz enjoyable?

enzom21 said:
Make the god awful wizard of oz enjoyable?

The wizard of oz is a good movie, based on an "interesting" series of books. "The Wiz" may be many things, but "enjoyable" is not one of them.

Himuro said:
The Wiz is amazing.

Dunno about that but I do know this:

When I was a little kid, that creepy old man that made the pillars come to life in the subway scared the shit out of me.

That little tune he played was creepy as all fuck too.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Himuro said:
I've seen black folks with British accents but man, I'm sorry. It's just not common over here and English tv certainly doesn't get much play. It doesn't really creep me out or anything, I find it really cool, it's just not common for me to hear it. :lol

Anyways, mayo is not an exclusive white thing. I love mayo. Who the hell eats hamburgers without mayo on the bun?

I was an odd child I guess, because I watched a lot of British comedy and Hong-Kong flicks.. Black men with British accents is nothing shocking, it is still a little odd to hear it face to face with a black person as opposed to on TV..

Anyways most of the black actors worth a damn are from Britian these days...

Hated mayo until I moved to Japan. Japanese mayo is different than American mayo..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Veidt said:
Damn.

music is better imperfect and raw and live and created on stage in front of your ears and it allows for showmanship and a collective experience and magic and oh god I need to clean up

but seriously, as much as a perfectly mixed piece of music can be great, music is, from my perspective, all about imperfections, showmanship and escapism. I listen to a mp3 for a totally different reason than I would to go see a live show.

for centuries music has been about the above, it's only in very recent times that we've become so used to the very different experience of consuming music in such a way: perfect and exactly the same all the time (thanks to technology, obviously). both have their pros and cons, but to see a good live act is still one of the best experiences anyone can have doing anything.

but I'm music student, so take my wankery bullshit with that grain of salt.

crazy monkey said:
quote for people who might miss it or care.

fascinating how there are still some traces of African traditions in their culture.

On that note does anyone here have any African art in their home? When my mom visited Nigeria she brought home a lot of art and other things.
A shirt with matching shorts she brought from her most recent visit(not pictured)
E3L2Il.jpg

A carving(she brought this when she visited back in 2000)
r9Y74l.jpg

School book(I cant remember when I acquired this. I actually could have brought it over when I was coming to canada for the first time)
NTR9Zl.jpg

We have a whole bunch of things in our house she brought some leather mats, some wooden instruments, and loads of other decorations. A friend from Mali brought a really big picture that is painted on a giant piece of cloth.

I never knew Slick Rick was British until after I was about 18 and someone told me. I always thought he had a weird ass accent, but it never registered with me that he was British. Also, I have Jamaican friends who can turn that accent on and off like it ain't nothing when they are talking with family.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Big Baybee said:
I never knew Slick Rick was British until after I was about 18 and someone told me. I always thought he had a weird ass accent, but it never registered with me that he was British. Also, I have Jamaican friends who can turn that accent on and off like it ain't nothing when they are talking with family.

Funny thing is Dana Dane is from NY.. :lol

Top Bottom