• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Fox the Sly

- Where you're from
Compton, CA, US

- Where you live
Compton, CA, US

- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
I, along with all so-called black Americans whose ancestors came by cargo slave ships am a Hebrew Israelite from the tribe of Judah.

- Do you know your roots?
Yes, see above. I descend from one of the 12 tribes of the nation of Israel. Judah, specifically.

- Your Age

- Favorite musical genre
Rap

- Your profession/major/career interest
Something in the computer networking field. Not sure what yet.

- Your religious affiliation
No religion per se, but I do believe in God and do my best to follow the laws, statutes, and commandments handed to Moses and upheld by Christ.

- Hobbies
Video games, reading, and computer hardware/software.

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?
I have occasionally felt ostracized because of my interests, but people love me when they have a tech issue they can't figure out, haha. Concerning Barkley, I couldn't care less on the opinion of a celebrity. As for the "acting white" thing, if ignorant people really want to take it to that level then all I have to do is open up some history books and show them what "acting white" is really all about. ;)

Master Z

Mecha_Infantry said:
Asian chicks (Chinese/Japanese, etc) don't touch us blacks. It's a shame too, they have a negative connotation with blacks before they come to this country then see some fucking hoodlum motherfuckers with buss down clothes and think we're all like that. I still to this day have not been with an Asian chick.
Come to Canada, specifically Toronto or Vancouver...

SmokyDave

Himuro said:
Some just white guy did that peace Gangsta sign at me and asked me,"What's good, cuz?"

Feels bad man.
He's our outreach worker. We spent £500,000 on cultural research to create that greeting :(

Sly The Fox said:
I, along with all so-called black Americans whose ancestors came by cargo slave ships am a Hebrew Israelite from the tribe of Judah.
Can you elaborate?

sciplore

MWS Natural said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Where you're from
Orlando, Fl
Where you live
Orlando, Fl (ugh)
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
Regular Black, slave ancestors etc..
Do you know your roots?
Not specifically my own but I make it a point to learn as much about black americans as I can.
Your Age
Favorite musical genre
It jumps all over the place but generally electric like passion pit or indie like Sufjan Stevens. Not much of a fan of rap since I fell into a bit of a feminist phase in High school and condemned most of it. I still occasionally listen to some but mostly mainstream like Kanye, B.O.B or Kid Cudi.
Your profession/major/career interest
Dont really know just hustling about
Your religious affiliation
Christian/agnostic its kinda complicated.
Hobbies
video games, drawing, reading

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?
I never felt ostracized but I think that is due to the standard the black community holds females verses males. The act white thing is so annoying I hate the idea that all black people must fit this preconceived mold in order to be black.

Himuro said:
Maybe he's Mormon and thinks all black people are Jews.

Or did they believe that towards natives? I don't remember anymore.

that's Indians, they believe Native Americans are part of the lost tribe of Israel.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm still kinda salty about the other thread, but this is better than no thread, that's for sure.

I'll post more now

Master Z said:
Come to Canada, specifically Toronto or Vancouver...

Yeah I am coming over in 2012 when I have finished my masters, but last time I was in Vancouver I was with my girl so I couldn't look too much at the chicks, but dam there are some stunners

I dunno why I am so hooked on white/asian girls though!

Any Canadians in here though> I'm trying to get an understanding of possible moves to Alberta (I love it there), T.O or Vancouver

Count Dookkake said:
Thanks for all the answers and discussion yesterday, guys. Some of my best friends are Black GAF.
Seriously, harSon, it was too bad school got in the way of the fest. Next year!

Here's one more topic of inquiry:

Where are the new genre/exploitation pics about or referencing black culture and history? Isn't there an audience for that stuff? Are they out there, but I am not hearing of them? When will there be a mainstream Raiders of the Lost Ark- or Inglourious Basterds- or Marathon Man-type film that similarly references, repurposes or reimagines African American history? It goes without saying that "true" historical movies have an important place due to educational impact, but what about genre stuff?
Black Dynamite?

Nameless

I wanted to bring this up in the last thread before it became a victim of Manifest Destiny, but one of my pet peeves about our community is how narrow our tastes tend to be-- And just our general unwillingness to try new things & experiences or to explore new ideas. This kinda relates to the "acting white" discussion, but there seems to be a very specific archetype in which blacks are 'supposed' fall. You're expected to watch certain types of movies, listen to certain types of music, act & talk a certain way, adopt a certain style of dress, hold certain beliefs and even carry certain prejudices. It's one of the things that holds us back IMO.

Nameless said:
I wanted to bring this up in the last thread before it became a victim of Manifest Destiny, but one of my pet peeves about our community is how narrow our tastes tend to be-- And just our general unwillingness to try new things & experiences or to explore new ideas. This kinda relates to the "acting white" discussion, but there seems to be a very specific archetype in which blacks are 'supposed' fall. You're expected to watch certain types of movies, listen to certain types of music, act & talk a certain way, adopt a certain style of dress, hold certain beliefs and even carry certain prejudices. It's one of the things that holds us back IMO.

I can say that I've really just started exploring all these "non-black" things for about the past 5-6 years. It just became really boring limiting myself to just a few certain types of music, movies, etc. As I've gotten older and started meeting people who are into things that I would have never thought I'd be interested in, it really just opened my eyes to a lot of stuff I've been holding out on.

I think a lot of it just has to do with us caring about what other blacks may think.

Gattsu25

Banned
- Where you're from - Queens, NY
- Where you live - West of Philly, PA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - African-Trinidadian on my mom's side, Irish/German on my dad's
- Do you know your roots? - ??
- Your Age - 28
- Favorite musical genre - Hip Hop, Classic Rock, Reggae
- Your profession/major/career interest - DBA
- Your religious affiliation - Christian (Baptist, but not southern baptist)
- Hobbies - reading, video games, guitar, drawing, writing short-form fiction

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I think you're the first person that has.
Those are mainly songs speaking out against the colonialism of that time.

It really is an acquired taste, at least it was for me. I've noticed I've started to appreciate the songs as I got older. That seems to generally be the case.

A bit more "pop"-ish song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LQHb_ema7c#t=0m30s

sounds very asian doesn't it? :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fox the Sly said:
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
Say what now?

Fox the Sly

I'm not Mormon at all, and yes, much of the natives of North and South America are descendants of the lost tribes.

K.Jack said:
Say what now?

I'm saying that the culture of the ancient Israelites and so-called blacks in America is the same since we're those same people. ;)

Just so everyone knows, I'm not like some of the Israelite brothers you might see on youtube cussing people out. I don't conduct myself that way.

K.Jack

Fox the Sly said:
I'm saying that the culture of the ancient Israelites and so-called blacks in America is the same since we're those same people. ;)
I'm just not understanding the "so called" black part.

Fox the Sly

Himuro said:
So would that explain how Jewish folks have nappy hair? We're descendants?

Jerry Seinfeld is my long lost brother!

No, the people who call themselves Jews today are not, nor have they ever been Jews according to blood. They are Khazars wo converted to Judaism in the 8th century A.D. The real Jews are your modern day black Americans according to blood and the Bible.

K.Jack said:
I'm just not understanding the "so called" black part.

Oh. I say so-called because none of us are the color black. That's a label that was put on us. We're different shades of brown because we were created from the dust of the earth. So-called white people are not really white, but rather different shades of red according to the Bible (because their blood shows through their skin). It may seem like semantics or like it doesn't matter but our people are the only ones who change their identity every generation because we lost our original one. :p

For those who don't believe or follow the Bible this may not make sense, but as far as lineage goes, it can be proven outside the Bible as well.

I hope I'm not steering us off-topic or anything. If so, I'll shut up. :p

Fox the Sly said:
No, the people who call themselves Jews today are not, nor have they ever been Jews according to blood. They are Khazars wo converted to Judaism in the 8th century A.D. The real Jews are your modern day black Americans according to blood and the Bible.
link me up, playa.

The M.O.B

So who is going to watch the BET Awards?

We all know that it is the epitome of black culture.....

I'll be watching for..........the Soulja Boy Performace , and that ghetto booty the awards to my favorite artists of course!

So, I'm at my local laundromat. Full of blacks and hispanics and guess what? An Asian guy comes up to me and tries to sell me bootlegs. :lol :lol I kindly said no, and he went on to the next person.

Smh :lol

The M.O.B said:
So who is going to watch the BET Awards?

We all know that it is the epitome of black culture.....

I'll be watching for..........the Soulja Boy Performace , and that ghetto booty the awards to my favorite artists of course!

Not at all. I dont listen to hip-hop.

Basically I had a big dispute in the original NegroGAF about me preferring grilled KFC chicken over fried because I said I was worried over my cholesterol levels thus the Mammy -- "Mammy" being the motherly big black woman archetype in the media -- tag.

Ah memories. :lol

Fox the Sly said:

So what you're saying is that modern day "Jews" helped us brothas dodge another historical bullet?

And everyone said "No, it couldn't have been worse".

Himuro said:
Why should it?

I don't really listen to hip hop anymore either. The only hip hop I've listened to this year is Nas + Damien Marley album and a few mediocre Kanye West tracks for his new album.

I've far outgrown hip hop.

Saying you've outgrown it implies that hip-hop is a genre for young kids or something.

Fox the Sly

BlackNMild2k1 said:
So what you're saying is that modern day "Jews" helped us brothas dodge another historical bullet?

And everyone said "No, it couldn't have been worse".

If you're referring to the holocaust, then no, we already suffered one far greater than theirs. :lol

I disagree, theres plenty of grown man hip-hop, and its a widely varied genre. I'd think you'd know that with how much you post in the hip-hop thread.

K.Jack

spindashing said:
Basically I had a big dispute in the original NegroGAF about me preferring grilled KFC chicken over fried because I said I was worried over my cholesterol levels thus the Mammy -- "Mammy" being the motherly big black woman archetype in the media -- tag.

You have my sword.
Himuro said:
Well, it's a genre that's mostly for young people -- in terms of song themes, in terms of lyrics, in terms of content, in terms of musical ability, in terms of sound, in terms of variety.

I can't think hip hop differentiating itself enough in the future for me to continue listening to it. Thus, I have outgrown it and my interest in it.
Mainstream is for the young ones, yes, but that isn't what matters anyway.

spindashing said:

Listen, anyone who tells you fried chicken is greater than grilled chicken is smoking that kush. Maybe, its an American thing, but grilled is the way to go back home. Grilled chicken over charcoal with a garlic ginger rub wet is what i grew up on. Who wastes eggs, flour and bread crumbs on chicken when it tastes so much better grilled.
:D :D

Wtf. You guys "ostracized" me for liking grilled in the old thread and now you guys are supporting me?

Y'all are a bunch of n****s. :lol :lol :lol

Damn there's a lot of honeys here. I'd flirt but my little sister is with me. :lol

Himuro said:
Nothing wrong with grilled chicken.

It's just that you put KFC above Popeyes :lol
OH. My opinion still stands! There's a Popeye not that far away. I can stand outside and stray people away with my blackness. =(

dabig2

Lol, people weren't getting on you for grilled chicken, they were getting on you for loving KFC's garbage :lol

I would kill a person for grilled chicken. In fact, I grill all my chicken outside throughout the year. Even during the winter :D

edit: beaten

Top Bottom