• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Tokubetsu

Urban Scholar said:
Yes, I had this discussion with a friend of mine. I guess that's why I look like a Shin Megami Tensei RPG fan boy, meh.

Funny story folks: I was playing Nocturne on the PS2 one day. I was having a particularly had time at some point. Moms comes when she hears me saying. "Hey Lucifer that's so not cool". Mom: what? Me: huh? Oh nothing *nothing except being the anitchrist is hard as hell* Mom: come again?! Me: haha I'm kidding.

Don't give up on RPGs

I'm pretty sure my mother already thinks I talk to spirits. I'm strictly an SMT/WRPG man myself these days.

I dunno.

As someone who has gotten back into anime recently, there are still good anime out there, you just have to shift through a lot of crap, which admittedly is kinda hard to do if you just want something simple to watch, though I guess moe is problematic. Though my tastes are pretty out there to begin with and I barely watch any TV at all these days much less anime.

DominoKid

spindashing said:
Isn't there a Charles Barkley RPG? It's a fan made game but I remember seeing a hilarious trailer on youtube that played with a remix of the Space Jam theme song.

Charles Barkley Shut Up & Jam Gaiden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley,_Shut_Up_and_Jam:_Gaiden

it has, without a doubt, the greatest story ever for an RPG. you owe it to yourself to look up youtube videos of it.

Trailer

like, if they got some funding and made a legit one for XBLA, I'd buy that shit.

edit: the Gaming side's post about it

Tokubetsu said:
I'm pretty sure my mother already thinks I talk to spirits. I'm strictly an SMT/WRPG man myself these days.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

NotebookJ2 said:
I dunno.

As someone who has gotten back into anime recently, there are still good anime out there, you just have to shift through a lot of crap, which admittedly is kinda hard to do if you just want something simple to watch, though I guess moe is problematic. Though my tastes are pretty out there to begin with and I barely watch any TV at all these days much less anime.

The thing about anime is that I can't get into 90% of what on the market for the mentioned reasons. More so earlier on watching anime wasn't cool for black kids growing up. Which seems funny once DBZ blew up. I still think the notion of watching anything not shonen is considered frowned upon. I still think the coolest short anime I've seen in a year or so was Giant Killing a freaking soccer drama.

Think I'm burnt out on JRPGs. I don't think I could stomach the ones I enjoyed when I was younger, don't have the patience for the plots anymore tbh.

Really enjoyed Persona 4 recently though, I was pretty down when I finished that one. Got SMT: Nocturne still wrapped up, need to get onto that one but I'm worried about the difficulty. Heard it's a real pain in the ass.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
curious question. have any of you played a d&d game or some other tabletop game? ive been wanting to try one out for a long time, but i dont know anyone who does..

toasty_T said:
Think I'm burnt out on JRPGs. I don't think I could stomach the ones I enjoyed when I was younger, don't have the patience for the plots anymore tbh.

Really enjoyed Persona 4 recently though, I was pretty down when I finished that one. Got SMT: Nocturne still wrapped up, need to get onto that one but I'm worried about the difficulty. Heard it's a real pain in the ass.

No way brother if you beat P4 you are ready for Nocturne.

toasty_T said:

My first jRPg burned me out completely, playing FF8 back in high school while writing my A-levels just totally wrecked me. That's what I get for listening to a friend tell me to grind for 40 extra hours to get Lionheart and level up all of my party in preparation for the final leg of the game. The friend claimed that was the best way to finish the game and as the only guy, I knew, to play and finish both seven and eight, I believed his lying ass. Never again.

Fuck FF VIII, junction system can eat a dick.

I got to the end of that convoluted mess of a story and couldn't complete the final dungeon because Squall was 30 levels higher than everyone else and the monster's scaled to him.

Come to think of it, the only FF game I enjoyed was XII and that was hardly an FF game at all aside from the naming conventions and whatnot.

magnificent83 said:
My first jRPg burned me out completely, playing FF8 back in high school while writing my A-levels just totally wrecked me. That's what I get for listening to a friend tell me to grind for 40 extra hours to get Lionheart and level up all of my party in preparation for the final leg of the game. The friend claimed that was the best way to finish the game and as the only guy, I knew, to play and finish both seven and eight, I believed his lying ass. Never again.

FF8 is one of the few RPGs where grinding will not benefit you due to how it's set up. I actually kinda liked that [despite me liking grinding in general]. I would go on and explain but I'm pretty sure you're not interested. I thought it was pretty neat in that regard.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
NotebookJ2 said:
I dunno.

As is the case with most things, I usually dig around to see what others say is good and gives those a shot. To make sure nothing else slipped through the cracks I check out some other ones that no one has mentioned and read a synopsis on them to decide if I want to check it out.

What animes are worth checking out at the moment? Would prefer something without a shonen male protagonist.

I was enjoying High School of the Dead before it became softcore hentai. Much as I like ridiculous art <<< it killed pretty much the only thing I liked about the show which was the seriousness.

toasty_T said:
Neither, I'll check them out though. Love me some short conclusive serieses.
I haven't seen Black Lagoon, but Baccano is just superb. Great english voice acting and some very interesting characters. Ladd Russo is the man.

Imm0rt4l

So the new season of Luther started, still haven't gotten at chance to see it though.

heliosRAzi said:
Japanese games used to be the shit, but it seems like they've hit a wall creatively, just like their anime. I'm still waiting for another installment for Full Metal Panic.
My sentiments exactly, I feel that they're in a creative/tech depression. Its devastating really. On one hand a lot of anime these days is either moe or trash(though the former is trash imo). On the other hand their games are technologically unimpressive and uninteresting. Also I feel Japanese games seriously need to hire REAL writers for their work, a lot of stories in Japanese media really isn't very good imo.

Parallax

heliosRAzi said:
I haven't seen Black Lagoon, but Baccano is just superb. Great english voice acting and some very interesting characters. Ladd Russo is the man.
I haven't seen black lagoons anime, but the manga is amazing. Seeing the transformations rock and revy are going through are a nice change in a series.

Imm0rt4l

I peeped black lagoon way back, but had to stop watching for some reason, seemed alright. Haven't really been up on anime like that in a while. Last full series I probably peeped was claymore(I needed somethign to satiate the berserk fan in me) and that was years ago. I watched the first episode of Gurren Lagann recently, didn't understand the hype, but maybe I'll continue it sometime.

Edit: Actually I take that back, I watched Monster Last Summer, I think it's a bit overrated. Good though.

Parallax

Imm0rt4l said:
I peeped black lagoon way back, but had to stop watching for some reason, seemed alright. Haven't really been up on anime like that in a while. Last full series I probably peeped was claymore(I needed somethign to satiate the berserk fan in me) and that was years ago. I watched the first episode of Gurren Lagann recently, didn't understand the hype, but maybe I'll continue it sometime.

Edit: Actually I take that back, I watched Monster Last Summer, I think it's a bit overrated. Good though.
You won't feel the hype for gurren lagann until like episode 8. Its a good series up until that point, but that's the make or break for some of the people I know

icUD3Q.gif

what's good in here, BlackGAF?

Imm0rt4l

Parallax said:
You won't feel the hype for gurren lagann until like episode 8. Its a good series up until that point, but that's the make or break for some of the people I know
I see, well I think it's still on netflix so maybe I'll peep some more episodes soon. Anyon have recommendations for some good seinen anime/manga? Something in the vain of GiTS, Berserk, or Gantz would be nice since I have a lot of free time at the moment.

Parallax

Imm0rt4l said:
I see, well I think it's still on netflix so maybe I'll peep some more episodes soon. Anyon have recommendations for some good seinen anime/manga? Something in the vain of GiTS, Berserk, or Gantz would be nice since I have a lot of free time at the moment.
Does gungrave count? I got a real shock from the series after playing the game. It was suprisingly well done

Imm0rt4l

Parallax said:
Does gungrave count? I got a real shock from the series after playing the game. It was suprisingly well done
Maybe I'll peep this, I really like madhouse, but I hated the DMC anime. Didn't finish bother watching that trash.

Parallax

Imm0rt4l said:
Maybe I'll peep this, I really like madhouse, but I hated the DMC anime. Didn't finish bother watching that trash.

first episode was a far as i got with dmc.

Imm0rt4l

zero_suit said:
Why watch that, lol? I just stuck to the games...not counting DMC2.
I figured the backstory and characters in the game would definitely make for a good anime. And Dante, being the baddest motherfucker killig demons with style in animated form would be pretty ill....WRONG. the action that their was pretty tame and hardly representative of what the games were about.

DMC2? I'm pretty sure their isn't a DMC2.

Parallax said:
first episode was a far as i got with dmc.
I got maybe 4 episodes into the 12 episode season, it was asscheeks. The games are were pretty great. 4 was ok.

Random thought: I've had the unfortunate experience of watching Maury the last couple days because my coworkers turn it on. What the fuck man. I'm all for trashy T.V. but the disproportionate amount of black people on that show dancing around and acting a fool for the majority white audience just annoys the hell out of me. Am I being too sensitive here? Does anybody watch the DNA shows?

I think they should just pay the $400-ish it costs to do it on their own. Their dignity would be worth every penny.

Londa

Banned
Bay Maximus said:
Random thought: I've had the unfortunate experience of watching Maury the last couple days because my coworkers turn it on. What the fuck man. I'm all for trashy T.V. but the disproportionate amount of black people on that show dancing around and acting a fool fool for the majority white audience just annoys the hell out of me. Am I being too sensitive here? Does anybody watch the DNA shows?

Maury summed up is DAT DNA show. They will do a DNA show four times out of a five day week. Its crazy.

Bay Maximus said:
Random thought: I've had the unfortunate experience of watching Maury the last couple days because my coworkers turn it on. What the fuck man. I'm all for trashy T.V. but the disproportionate amount of black people on that show dancing around and acting a fool for the majority white audience just annoys the hell out of me. Am I being too sensitive here? Does anybody watch the DNA shows?

I think they should just pay the $400-ish it costs to do it on their own. Their dignity would be worth every penny.

ONLY EPISODES WORTH WATCHING.

I watch it whenever its on. I know, I should be ashamed of myself but its like a car crash you just can't look away

Oh god, Maury is still on? It's been, what, over ten years now?

I don't really watch those shows anymore, though I did used to love Cheaters.

NotebookJ2 said:
Oh god, Maury is still on? It's been, what, over ten years now?

I don't really watch those shows anymore, though I did used to love Cheaters.

Ironically he still looks the exact same. He hasn't aged. I think black drama gives Maury Povich strength.

also I need to play that Charles Barkley RPG

Bay Maximus said:

I watch the Maury show Mon thru Thurs before heading to summer classes. Its such a guilty pleasure. I think pretty much everyone on that show acts foolish and its usually a good amount of "diversity", so no I never really cared. Unless they are really, really ghetto.

Maury > * as far as trash TV goes.

It's definitely a guilty pleasure thing...I catch it every now and again if I'm at home on a weekday.

As for posting here, my job cracked down on my Internet usage - so I can only post from home. :x

Parallax

Urban Scholar said:
It's too hot for me to post regularly. Speaking of which the highest it's been here was 96 degrees what about you guys?

hottest ive experienced was in the 115 range. fucking la valley during the summer feels like its right next to the sun

Urban Scholar said:
It's too hot for me to post regularly. Speaking of which the highest it's been here was 96 degrees what about you guys?

I've never lived in a place that was "too hot" It got really hot last year like 30+ degrees Celsius. It still wasn't hot enough for me.

I don't think I was ever really into those kinds of shows. Maybe Cheaters, but that's kinda different.

Lately I've been busy looking for work as well as working out, so haven't posted much. I've been keeping up with my workout for 3 weeks now. I'm fairly skinny with a bit of a belly and I'm mostly just trying to tone up. Hope I can continue to keep at it.

Top Bottom