• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I'm 25 guys. I too feel that having children isn't something you should consider until marriage. Anyway I just feel that is a subject years(like 10 maybe) down the road once I get my goals done. At work I often get told by parents to not have kids early and pursue dreams/goals. That's been the plan for awhile now.

Mines too. I think its stupid to have kids when you don't have a stable job or your own place. Plus, I want my kids to have both a father and mother in their household. I also want help raising the kid. Child support only covers them financially.

Kosmo

Banned
Question: What is with the long pinkie nail I see a lot of otherwise well manicured black men sporting? Assuming there is another purpose than a coke nail...

Urban Scholar said:
While were on the subject. I had an interesting(I guess) conversation when an aunt asked why I didn't have kids yet? I was like no, not yet. In my head I'm like what the? She was like yeah kids your age have kids. At that point I interjected with a "Sure by pure lack of judgement". This is why I can't the aforementioned show I get mad at the underlining problem.

LOL I'm getting this hard core from my family, I'm 30 though and I kind of agree, but its weird to all of the sudden start getting the whole when are you getting married/kids thing at any family get together.

Oh and Londa pumpkin pie is and has always been inferior to sweet potato pie, are you going to go against our president?

obama%20pointing.jpg

These days, sweet potato pie is a Presidential Fave.

24 going on 25 next month. Like everyone else, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't have kids until you have your own place, a stable job, and all that. Plus marriage.

Though I've seen some stupid crap happen repeatedly all in the name in marriage. And after experiencing a really bad relationship once and taking care of my young nephew who was a complete terror, I can safely say that I'm content with being single and childless for quite some time.

Londa

Banned
I can't help but love me some pumpkin pie. ;_;

I once made a pumpkin pie marbled with cheesecake. Everyone ate it up. This is why I know you can't go wrong with pumpkin. :p

blc79.jpg

ReiGun

Urban Scholar said:
While were on the subject. I had an interesting(I guess) conversation when an aunt asked why I didn't have kids yet? I was like no, not yet. In my head I'm like what the? She was like yeah kids your age have kids. At that point I interjected with a "Sure by pure lack of judgement". This is why I can't the aforementioned show I get mad at the underlining problem.
A female acquaintance of mine had another woman ask her if she intended on having kids "late" since she doesn't have any currently. My friend is only 24. :/

I'm 22, and I don't want to even think about having my own kids till I'm at least 30. But I do plan on having some as I love kids.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Londa said:
I can't help but love me some pumpkin pie. ;_;

I once made a pumpkin pie marbled with cheesecake. Everyone ate it up. This is why I know you can't go wrong with pumpkin. :p

blc79.jpg
That looks so damn delicious. I must eat it.

ReiGun said:
A female acquaintance of mine had another woman ask her if she intended on having kids "late" since she doesn't have any currently. My friend is only 24. :/

I'm 22, and I don't want to even think about having my own kids till I'm at least 30. But I do plan on having some as I love kids.

I think one time I got into a conversation that I wish I didn't. I think I was talking to another family member. They mentioned the same thing, I said well why would a woman that young with goals want to do that? I think that not living in America(were not perfect I know) that those are the choices at hand. I of course laughed pretty hard but I was close to offending so I backed off. Still goes on and I wonder if some people get its 2011.

I forget how young I am compared to you guys (21). But, I also agree that before one should even think about kids they should have:

- A stable place to live.
- Money. They should be financially independent.

Those are the two most important things in my opinion. Many young people these days fool around too much and end up getting pregnant. It's always an eye opener for me hearing about people younger than my age that are pregnant.

But, I do give props to the mothers that are in school. So much sacrifices, etc that they must go through...

On another note:
sour%20power%20st.jpg

Londa

Banned
Basically, I don't want kids to raise on my own. Plus, I have way too much to do, to be tied down. Later on when I am ready? MAYBE.

Tokubetsu

Urban Scholar said:
I think one time I got into a conversation that I wish I didn't. I think I was talking to another family member. They mentioned the same thing, I said well why would a woman that young with goals want to do that? I think that not living in America(were not perfect I know) that those are the choices at hand. I of course laughed pretty hard but I was close to offending so I backed off. Still goes on and I wonder if some people get its 2011.

I keep seeing news posts about stats saying people are getting married later and having kids later but I honestly don't see it. At 22 and I'd say a good 70% of my friends from high school are either married or have kids and none of us have hit 24 yet.

One of those things where I'm wondering if I'm fucking up because I'm not tied down yet. /foreveralone /fuckbabymommadrama

Londa said:
Basically, I don't want kids to raise on my own. Plus, I have way too much to do, to be tied down. Later on when I am ready? MAYBE.

Well said

Tokubetsu said:
I keep seeing news posts about stats saying people are getting married later and having kids later but I honestly don't see it. At 22 and I'd say a good 70% of my friends from high school are either married or have kids and none of us have hit 24 yet.
One of those things where I'm wondering if I'm fucking up because I'm not tied down yet. /foreveralone /fuckbabymommadrama

I can relate because I've been there sometimes. There's a proper time and place for everyone I feel. I remember seeing this guy I knew who had kids and was married. I didn't think much about it because he really let himself go & to be honest I like my life they way it is now. Well, somethings if I could snap my finger to change I would.

ReiGun

spindashing said:
On another note:
sour%20power%20st.jpg
Oh man. Nostalgia bomb. Everyday after school my dad would stop by the corner store and get some of these and an ice cream for me and my lil sis. Afternoon cartoons + sour power = gdlk childhood.

Actually hearing about people that I grew up having kids doesn't really affect me.

When I have kids, I'll have kids.

I'll keep them away from GAF, they'll be ashamed of their dad.

Mononofu

Spectacles? thinking about getting these when I get cash flow:

Ksubi Theta Oph

4245_11499_285.jpg

4245_11612_285.jpg

4245_11500_285.jpg

Current pair:

113498_3Q.jpg

I only bought these frames because I broke my old ones and they were cheap. Not too fond of the look.

The Faceless Master said:
no such thing as the devil. Pumpkin wins.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

Simple answer to the question, cook some pumpkin and a sweet potato by itself, which one taste better?

Answer:

5aday_sweet_potato.jpg

So logically it makes the best pie.

6inchsweetpotato.jpg

Imm0rt4l said:
Have you guys been keeping up with Luther? Season 2 just started 2 days ago, great opener.

There's no way for American audiences to watch it yet I don't think.

I haven't had much pie in my life, my sweet potato pie is really the only pie I enjoy, at least for now. I'm a cake man.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Sweet potato pie is the best. Pumpkin is second though.

It's so weird knowing how old some you guys are now, I think I'm the youngest here.
You needed to try my friends chocolate + caramel apple pie.

I saw grown men almost come to blows over the last piece. It was unlike anything I've ever had before.

I'mma hit her up on Facebook and see if she can shoot me that recipe. If she does, it will be posted in here.

Imm0rt4l

I don't fuck with sweet potatoe or pumpking pie *shrugs

eternaLightness said:
There's no way for American audiences to watch it yet I don't think.

I haven't had much pie in my life, my sweet potato pie is really the only pie I enjoy, at least for now. I'm a cake man.
Yea I don't think its on television in America till October.

*I'm American

leadbelly said:
I'm thinking there should be a mixed race thread. It seems to me that if you're mixed race, but have more black features, you're black. I'm mixed Race, but look caucasian. The thing is though, I'm not really white either, but more olive skinned.

It's really quite a strange mix I guess. I can really only identify as being mixed race.

Please no.

You will get us locked down again.

Edit: And this is a thread about culture not race.

soundscream said:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

Simple answer to the question, cook some pumpkin and a sweet potato by itself, which one taste better?

Answer:

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/5aday_sweet_potato.jpg

So logically it makes the best pie.

http://www.firehow.com/images/stories/users/683/6inchsweetpotato.jpg
oh?

using that logic, sweet potato french fries must be the greatest thing known to man!

but we both know that's not true...

Londa

Banned
I'm not really sure why lead felt the need to bring up that in this thread. If you want a Mixed Culture thread just make one. No one is stopping you. We have nothing to do with that. (you are still cool with me tho)

I'm not mixed but I am of the yellow shade. I was raised on African American children books and movies.
In MD-DC-VA, there are a lot of well educated African American people along side the ghetto ones. I choose to focus on the positive side of being African American.

I am someone that has the shade of Beyonce. For some reason people this shade are not really seen as African American. It gets annoying tbh and I wish people would stop trying classify what a African American should look like.

That is all. :p

Lebron

Mixed thread is a bad idea. That's a big can of worms just waiting to be unleashed. Also, no such thing as not enjoying pie. There's a pie out there for everyone. Widen your gaze, Air.

Londa said:
my second favorite Final Fantasy^. This needs a PS3/PS4/Wii U remake with the after years in it also. Omg... After years on the 3DS <33333333. Please make it happen.
Yeah, they don't make them like that anymore. Theme of Love <3

Londa said:
I'm not really sure why lead felt the need to bring up that in this thread. If you want a Mixed Culture thread just make one. No one is stopping you. We have nothing to do with that. (you are still cool with me tho)

I'm not mixed but I am of the yellow shade. I was raised on African American children books and movies.
In MD-DC-VA, there are a lot of well educated African American people along side the ghetto ones. I choose to focus on the positive side of being African American.

I am someone that has the shade of Beyonce. For some reason people this shade are not really seen as African American. It gets annoying tbh and I wish people would stop trying classify what a African American should look like.

That is all. :p
No, it won't end well. It just won't, it'll be a repeat of what happened before.

Lebron

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I'm trying to find the thread that started it all but I don't see it.
They combined them all into the People With Skin OT thread. That was just an ugly day all around.

ew at the rpg selection... ;_;
Yeah, Lost Odyssey is on the other system. You goofed.

My mom always used to make a point about whites eating pumpkin pie, and blacks eating sweet potato. It must have affected me subconsciously, as I've always avoided pumpkin.

Air said:
I don't like pie. Blackgaf am I weird? I guess I just never had good pie before ;_;

My favorite is Key Lime Pie, I'd recommend it. Made right, it's tarty and tangy. Very light. (Made wrong it taste like cheesecake with a touch of citrus).

Londa

Banned
NotebookJ2 said:
Well, there's always Tales of Graces f...

Yeah.

lol I will get the collectors edition if there is one. I will support any rpgs. I broke down and got Atelier Rorona because of how bleak the rpg selection is. I will try to ignore the loli :(

Top Bottom