• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Londa

Banned
MWS Natural said:
I know I was just messing with you sweetie. I'll send you something..

awww you talking to me like I'm 14 years old ;_;

Ok, let me peep these out. :p

edit: yeah they must be on sum crack to think you are half asian.

Cyrillus

I have a question that popped into my head as one of those "stoner thoughts," but I am now legitimately curious: When a person who is half-black and half-white is filling out some kind of demographic question, do they check black and caucasian, or one or the other? I guess to generalize the question, do people who are half-black and half-white identify more as black or white?

Also, what about half-black, half-asians?

Cyrillus said:
I have a question that popped into my head as one of those "stoner thoughts," but I am now legitimately curious: When a person who is half-black and half-white is filling out some kind of demographic question, do they check black and caucasian, or one or the other? I guess to generalize the question, do people who are half-black and half-white identify more as black or white?

Also, what about half-black, half-asians?
Valid question. The only way that can I can answer this is that it honestly depends on the person and how that person identifies with him or herself.

AiTM said:
So does your avatar insinuate that black people are the master race?
Why are you here?

Cyrillus

spindashing said:
The only way that can I can answer this is that it honestly depends on the person and how that person identifies with him or herself.

I assumed it would be a personal question that would have varying answers, I just figured if any members of GAF fit the criteria and wanted to answer, I'd be interested to know.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Londa said:
how did you get that out of a poorly drawn image of a person wearing the afro american colors? lol
It's based off this:

4ql8d.jpg

LowerLevel

ikkemenx said:
JEM IS ON?!

AND RAPHAEL SAADIQ DAMN
My ears are tiny, too...

Also, yeah I'm often thought to be mixed and stuff, sometimes Indian, sometimes middle eastern. Told I speak intelligently (as opposed to...) gah

Sorry, been a busy day. Yes, Jem is on HUB. So is old school Transformers and G.I. Joe. Unfortunately they kinda killed my memories when I saw Quick-Kick throw a punch with a fist the size of California. And Shipwreck pick up a phone and it was the same exact color as him...

But I digress, they have other shows on there too like Batman Beyond and Static Shock I believe. (Loved Static. Was the reason I could never look at InFamous on Ps3 too seriously...)

AiTM said:
Its a take off the "glorious pc master race"...but hes black...just wondered.
With a post like:

"I gotta say guys, I'm white, and I came in here just to see what was happening...

...wasn't what I expected..."

I have to be somewhat hostile. Not sure what you meant or what your intentions are. New people of all races are always welcome here, but we have had our fair share of trolls.

ikkemenx

MWS Natural said:
To be fair most people are exactly what they look like. If someone (of any race) is sagging their pants off their ass w/ a grill in their mouth I'm going to stereotype them as ghetto. The same as if they had a confederate trucker hat on w/ some overalls I'm going to initially think they are a redneck. My problem is when I am clean cut, dressed in business casual attire and people STILL apply some ghetto/low expectation stereotype to me when I look nothing of the sort.

You seem like a very nice girl Londa, I wouldn't want to break your heart like that.

I've always wanted to go somewhere public dressed all professional, pencil skirt an' everthang, with "Get Back" by Ludacris as my ringtone. That song is so crazy lol

Yeek yeek woop woop!! why you all in my ear?!
Talking a whole bunch of shit
That I ain't trying to hear!
Get back muhfucker! You don't know me like that!
(Get back muhfucker!! You don't know me like that!!)
Yeek yeek woop woop!! I ain't playing around!
Make one false move I'll take ya down
Get back muhfucker! You don't know me like that!
(Get back muhfucker!! You don't know me like that!!)

AiTM

Banned
spindashing said:
With a post like:

"I gotta say guys, I'm white, and I came in here just to see what was happening...

...wasn't what I expected..."

I have to be somewhat hostile. Not sure what you meant or what your intentions are. New people of all races are always welcome here, but we have had our fair share of trolls.

It was a joke man, thought you guys would appreciate it. Just didn't expect DBZ and all the anime talk. Wasn't trying to be racist, didn't think I would need to defend it.

And about his avatar, I just wondered.

LowerLevel

AiTM said:
It was a joke man, thought you guys would appreciate it. Just didn't expect DBZ and all the anime talk. Wasn't trying to be racist, didn't think I would need to defend it.

To be fair, we grew up with the same shows you did. And more than likely, the same type of friends. Remember when DBZ was promoted heavily by Burger King? Things like that don't stay to ONE demographic. When I grew up, back in the late 80's/early 90's and such, they had Robotech and Speed Racer on before I went to school for a little while. Didn't know how an anime was spelled or even came from let alone what it was, but I enjoyed the bloody hell out of it. That was my first lesson in business when my grandmother had to explain to me why it was taken off the air back then. (Christian Science Monitor bought the station out...)

AiTM said:

Shounen anime it's rather powerful stuff and hard to resist.

AiTM said:

In that case, I apologize.

Yes, we geek out in here from time to time. It's only right that we do. =)

zero_suit

AiTM said:

Like previously stated, sometimes this thread gets a few trolls. You seem cool, though. :)

Londa

Banned
Plywood said:
It's based off this:

4ql8d.jpg

It doesn't change my opinion on it still being a poorly drawn image of a person. Also that person is way too butt hurt over his avatar.

AiTM said:

Cause like all black people only listen to rap and watch BET.

Come on dude, this is a gaming forum. lol

Eh, I don't think the guy is THAT cool. Depends on how he posts from here on out.

ikkemenx

zero_suit said:
Like previously stated, sometimes this thread gets a few trolls. You seem cool, though. :)

Yeah, I think I understand what he meant. Not that it's weird for black people to like DBZ or that he expected us to be talking about rap or whatever, but the fact that the thread is called the Black Culture thread and so he assumed the discussion would have been about anything that could be considered a part of Black Culture, and anime being Japanese and all.

AiTM said:
So does your avatar insinuate that black people are the master race?
Only if you believe the original image insinuates white/tan people are.
AiTM said:
Didn't realize there were only certain topics were are supposed to discuss.
ikkemenx said:
Yeah, I think I understand what he meant. Not that it's weird for black people to like DBZ or that he expected us to be talking about rap or whatever, but the fact that the thread is called the Black Culture thread and so he assumed the discussion would have been about anything that could be considered a part of Black Culture, and anime being Japanese and all.
Eh at the same time no one goes into a GAF Anime thread asking why all of these non Japanese people are discussing Bleach.

AiTM

Banned
Londa said:
It doesn't change my opinion on it still being a poorly drawn image of a person. Also that person is way too butt hurt over his avatar.

Cause like all black people only listen to rap and watch BET.

Come on dude, this is a gaming forum. lol

Eh, I don't think the guy is THAT cool. Depends on how he posts from here on out.

I wasn't "butthurt", just wondered if that what he was insinuating. And I didn't say rap or BET, I just meant anime isn't the what I would have expected in a thread devoted exclusively to Black culture, that's all.

MWS Natural said:

Don't turn it into something its not.

Londa

Banned
AiTM said:
I wasn't "butthurt", just wondered if that what he was insinuating. And I didn't say rap or BET, I just meant anime isn't the what I would have expected in a thread devoted exclusively to Black culture, that's all.

what are we allowed to talk about that will put you at ease sir butthurt?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
People in this thread need to stop trying to hide it.
Of course Natural's avatar is the symbol for the black master race. So what.

Satch

Banned
Dang, y'all are going in on this dude. There was a slight misunderstanding and now people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

AiTM, your avatar is cute. :)

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I visit the -it-shall-not-be-mentioned bizzaro gaf. Where banned members gather. It's like limbo or some shit.

And reddit, and SA.

Londa

Banned
Veidt said:

I honestly did not know what his avatar meant. But now that I know, I still don't care.

Also AiTM was the one who made an issue about his avatar. o_O I don't think anyone else cared to know the origin, well I can only speak for myself.

harSon

Banned
Since its Summer, I have to ask. Am I the only one who feels left out when their friends start talking about sunburns? I feel like a white kid during a conversation about spankings, totally clueless.

ikkemenx

MWS Natural said:
Only if you believe the original image insinuates white/tan people are.

Eh at the same time no one goes into a GAF Anime thread asking why all of these non Japanese people are discussing Bleach.

That's the thing-- it's an anime thread. It's specifically about anime so race isn't even related. In a Black Culture thread, the expectations, based simply off of the name, are a bit different. Not that it's wrong or even strange given we're all nerds...just unexpected. Like coming into a thread about cooking and realizing everyone is talking about cars and planes.

Veidt said:
Who's hiding anything? It's my avatar, every time I post anywhere on GAF it's there. Not like it activates only in the Black GAF thread LOL.

ikkemenx said:
That's the thing-- it's an anime thread. It's specifically about anime so race isn't even related. In a Black Culture thread, the expectations, based simply off of the name, are a bit different. Not that it's wrong or even strange given we're all nerds...just unexpected. Like coming into a thread about cooking and realizing everyone is talking about cars and planes.
I don't disagree with you but he knew his post would cause some shit.

AiTM

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
AiTM getting what he expected out of the thread.

Yes my master plan is complete.

Londa said:
I honestly did not know what his avatar meant. But now that I know, I still don't care.

Also AiTM was the one who made an issue about his avatar. o_O I don't think anyone else cared to know the origin, well I can only speak for myself.

I didn't try to make an "issue" out of it. I was just asking him if that's what it meant. I always wondered when I see him post elsewhere, and since I posted in here I was trying to ask something relevant since my first post didn't go over too well.

Londa said:
What does my avatar mean?
Not sure, but all things considered my first guess would be that it's something you drew/painted. The figure's demeanor and disposition being reflective of your own. Or, just a drawing you are particularly proud of for some set of reasons.

Satch

Banned
Londa said:
I put it into tineye and it linked me to chapter 5 of an NC-17 story called "The Crane Wife" where "The Doctor" and "The Master" are having sex.

And another of the links had pics of naked women.

ikkemenx said:
Don't tell nobody you won.
Of course, I'm not that foolish. Gonna buy my mama a nice car though! Then buy myself some shoes, then some rims, then finish paying child support, then gamble and then I'm poor again...

Londa said:
Not sure what it means, but that's definitely an Amano work.

Top Bottom