• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Measley

Londa said:
What? That was not what I was talking about. You need to read what smokey dave said. Also what about a birth certificate? Lol

Except I was quoting YOU not Smokey Dave.

You consider yourself AA by choice. There is no "government standard".

Londa

Banned
Measley said:
Except I was quoting YOU not Smokey Dave.

You consider yourself AA by choice. There is no "government standard".
They (american government) changed it from black american to african american. Just because you are ignorant to this doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Measley

Londa said:
They (american government) changed it from black american to african american. Just because you are ignorant to this doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Blacks themselves changed it in the 1980s, the American government simply followed suit.

What does any of that have to do with the fact that you are AA by choice?

Londa

Banned
Measley said:
Blacks themselves changed it in the 1980s, the American government simply followed suit.

Um what? I didn't choose my race.

Londa said:
Measley said:

Smokey Robinson lays it down in regards to this.

Master Z

I'm trying to get this women I'm seeing to rock a fro. She won't do it, fuck. :( One time she left a jar of relaxer in my fridge in an unmarked container ...I thought it was some kind of condiment at first...that shit smells like poison...like it would melt my face off, Damn.

Measley

MWS Natural said:

Yes he does. Great vid.

Master Z said:
I'm trying to get this women I'm seeing to rock a fro. She won't do it, fuck. :( One time she left a jar of relaxer in my fridge in an unmarked container ...I thought it was some kind of condiment at first...that shit smells like poison...like it would melt my face off, Damn.

That shit is poison. In the film Good Hair, they showed how that crap can dissolve an aluminum can. It eventually destroys the hair after continued, prolonged use.

Master Z said:

You really shouldn't sniff it, it can do permanent lung damage. shit aint no joke.

you are already dead

Master Z said:
Eventually she might come around. Relaxers slowly damage your hair and if she hasn't realized it yet she will soon. Besides going natural is far from easy. I would know.

And try not to sniff that stuff anymore. Its bad for you. And tell her to label that stuff.

Baby Milo

Measley said:
#blackwomanproblems

tumblr_l7j8nnA98j1qcdfm4o1_500.jpg

Master Z

Lionheart1337 said:
You really shouldn't sniff it, it can do permanent lung damage. shit aint no joke.

you are already dead
I didn't know what it was just saw some new shit in my fridge but ya, never again...
*head explodes*

Measley said:
My ex had standard black hair but was able to get it soft and wavy naturally. It takes a lot of work and it basically became her hobby. She would spend as much time on natural black hair forums as I spend on GAF. There are natural products and things you can do that you don't require perms or weaves. I made sure we had silk pillow cases because cotton damages black hair while sleeping, I bought her some machine that infuses moisture into the hair and countless natural products that are pretty expensive. My point is that if you put the time and research in there are ways to get long "good" hair naturally.

Measley

MWS Natural said:
My ex had standard black hair but was able to get it soft and wavy naturally. It takes a lot of work and it basically became her hobby. She would spend as much time on natural black hair forums as I spend on GAF. There are natural products and things you can do that you don't require perms or weaves. I made sure we had silk pillow cases because cotton damages black hair while sleeping, I bought her some machine that infuses moisture into the hair and countless natural products that are pretty expensive. My point is that if you put the time and research in there are ways to get long "good" hair naturally.

Could you share any of those forums with me? My niece is entering this perm/weave phase, and I really want her to go natural.

harSon

Banned
Measley said:
I've always felt that people who are mixed-race yet consider themselves African-American cause all sorts of havoc in the black community. Why? Because their experience can be quite different than that of African Americans. If one guy looks like Don Cheadle, and the other looks like Michael Ealy, the latter is more likely to get a job, catch a cab, and not get pulled over.

Eh, we suffer our own set of circumstances. Basically, being stuck between multiple worlds and not being fully accepted by any one ethnicity that we're composed of.

Master Z

MWS Natural said:
I'm hitting up google right now, this knowledge must be dropped...
EDIT: Thanks ChocolateCupcakes!

Measley said:
Could you share any of those forums with me? My niece is entering this perm/weave phase, and I really want her to go natural.
We really aren't on speaking terms but I'll ask just for you.

Baby Milo said:
brace yourselves for that gay soldier thread
InB4NaturalsLaw

Londa said:
to be honest, I would love to date a black man. But the black men I usually incounter that aren't already taken, have nothing going for them. No job, no education, no goals, got a baby mama, no car, no place of their own, and or bat shit insane lol. I guess have have to move to find a decent guy for myself.
I don't think I've ever heard a guy described as this before. Not that guys aren't crazy, but this term seems distinctly feminine to me.

MWS Natural said:
Knew what it was before even clicking. I miss this show.

Measley said:
I've always felt that people who are mixed-race yet consider themselves African-American cause all sorts of havoc in the black community. Why? Because their experience can be quite different than that of African Americans. If one guy looks like Don Cheadle, and the other looks like Michael Ealy, the latter is more likely to get a job, catch a cab, and not get pulled over.
but the majority of blacks in america are mixed, the only question is by how much. when is mixed diluted enough to count as mixed, do we bring back paper bags?

RedSwirl

Can we flip the hair discussion over to men?

I keep my hair in a sort of small afro because the middle ground is kinda my only choice. My hair grows so fast that in order to keep it low I would have to get it cut almost every week, so I just get it trimmed monthly. Plus, the only guy I know who can do it is a 45 minute drive away. Get's really hard to maintain for those last couple weeks before trimming again though.

RedSwirl said:
Can we flip the hair discussion over to men?

I keep my hair in a sort of small afro because the middle ground is kinda my only choice. My hair grows so fast that in order to keep it low I would have to get it cut almost every week, so I just get it trimmed monthly. Plus, the only guy I know who can do it is a 45 minute drive away. Get's really hard to maintain for those last couple weeks before trimming again though.
i've been getting my hair braided since the early 90's. i get it done once every 2-3 weeks and i'm set for 2-3 weeks!

I had braids until about 3-4 years ago. I also have red hair. Kinda hard to see on my scalp unless you are right on it. My barber who has been cutting and lining my hair for like 12 years just noticed its red. When I grow out a full beard that shits bright red. I want some locks, but the wife is against it, lol.

I had an afro two years ago, but it was a pain to maintain it. Besides, I didn't like how it felt during the warmer weather so I got rid of it.

I usually rock a dark caesar. Recently, I cut my hair myself and to give myself a buzzcut. While it feels great during this hot weather, I look too much like my old man so I wish that it will grow back quickly.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My hair is odd...it's a mix of wavy/curly. I normally keep it middle length because that looks best on me. Too short and I look like a peanut. Too long, hair gets everywhere.

Londa

Banned
I'm hijacking the male hair discussion- sorry

When my hair was short I would start out having it really close to my head with natural curles and a little moose for structure. As it grew I would add a headband. Cut it when it I got tired it being simi long, and repeat the cycle.

Long hair, its pulled back at the front and out in the back. When straighten it will be out and behind my ears for about a day and then it starts to get a loose curl the next day. Sometimes I can get my friend to braid or twist my hair. I also tried a Frohawk that lasted but a day.

The Faceless Master said:
i've been getting my hair braided since the early 90's. i get it done once every 2-3 weeks and i'm set for 2-3 weeks!

I've been growing my hair out for almost 8 years now and been having braids for about 6 years but lately I've been thinking of cutting it off. Before braids I had it similar to this but they were longer.
SmNWl.jpg

I kinda want to go back to that.

Hah, Lord knows my mom wouldn't let me get my hair braided. She said it's something only females should do.

My parents are strongly opposed to anything but the usual dark ceasar and or types of fades.

spindashing said:
Hah, Lord knows my mom wouldn't let me get my hair braided. She said it's something only females should do.

My parents are strongly opposed to anything but the usual dark ceasar and or types of fades.
my mom keeps telling me i should get dreadlocks! seriously, she has been saying that for a decade now... that and "when am i gonna get some grandkids?"

Measley

but the majority of blacks in america are mixed, the only question is by how much. when is mixed diluted enough to count as mixed, do we bring back paper bags?

Yeah, but the majority of blacks in America aren't mixed to the point where they look like Alicia Keys or Smokey Robinson. Because of that issues can get muddled and persist. For example;

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_4_63/ai_n24246405/

and this;

http://diverseeducation.com/article/6306/

Is this an actual statistic or...

Top Bottom