• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
As much crap as I give T.P. about his movies (and as much as I enjoy Aaron McGruder/ The Boondocks shitting on them), I have to commend him on finding a oft-ignored niche in Hollywood and capitalizing the crap out of it. Additionally, having a whole cable channel (TBS) do his bidding is something worth noting as well. That's...impressive.

Hi Black-GAF, are there any Caribbean Creoles here? This girl I work with is from a French-speaking island in the Caribbean (not Haiti), so I was just wondering if Black-GAF had any insights that might help me know more about her culture.

ikkemenx

cooljeanius said:
Hi Black-GAF, are there any Caribbean Creoles here? This girl I work with is from a French-speaking island in the Caribbean (not Haiti), so I was just wondering if Black-GAF had any insights that might help me know more about her culture.

Ah, I see. You tryna hit that? ;)

cooljeanius said:
don't try to cheat, just be you and ask her about her culture and (key) listen!

Anyone here without a lot of black friends ever wonder that they're that black person? you know the one that gets mentioned whenever someone is accused of being a racist. I have pretty much no black friends--outside of you guys of course! So sometimes I wonder if any of my friends actually get into predicaments where someone accuses them of being a racist and they use my existence as a means of deflecting that criticism

justjohn

lightless_shado said:
Anyone here without a lot of black friends ever wonder that they're that black person? you know the one that gets mentioned whenever someone is accused of being a racist. I have pretty much no black friends--outside of you guys of course! So sometimes I wonder if any of my friends actually get into predicaments where someone accuses them of being a racist and they use my existence as a means of deflecting that criticism
If I ever became like that, think I'll just blow my brains out.

lightless_shado said:
No. Thankfully I'm not the only black person in my group of friends.

I have pretty much no black friends--outside of you guys of course!
Best frands foe evar.

lightless_shado said:

As long as you're not rejecting invitations to hang out with black people because they're black than you're good. I think when people are talking about that black person, it's the type of person who think all black people are ghetto, obnoxious people that rainbows beam from the white man's ass. In your case, having no (very few?) black friends probably has more to do with location, interests and I can't imagine any sane people faulting you for that.

EDIT: Holy shit completely misread your post. Yeah, they probably do use you as a racism accusation shield haha

You guys are depressing me. It seems I'm the only one who has to worry about this dilemma :(

feelsbadman.jpg

On a more positive note, who here is a fan of Sidney Poitier? I watched this movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056370/

last night and I absolutely loved it. I reccomend it for people who like films from the past. I don't want to spoil anything, but near the end of the movie Sidney's character gives a speech that made me say "wow" I'm looking into a lot of films from the 60s 50s and 40s and I'm hunting down ones that have good portrayals of black characters in them. I highly recommend this one.

Bay Maximus said:
EDIT: Holy shit completely misread your post. Yeah, they probably do use you as a racism accusation shield haha

Yeah that's more of what I'm talking about. I'm not an uncle ruckus lol

moreover, I find it baffling that people who are being racist think that having a person of color as a friend suddenly negates whatever racist thing they said or did like are they expecting the accuser to suddenly just back off and say "Oh my bad, now that I know I guess I overreacted" as if its some sort of get out of racism free card.

lightless_shado said:
Do you mean the guy your friends reference in defense of their racism like "I can't be a racist - some of my friends are black"?

captmcblack said:
Do you mean the guy your friends reference in defense of their racism like "I can't be a racist - some of my friends are black"?

Yes. A lot of the time I literally am the only black person they know. And perhaps I should also include acquaintances in there too because an acquaintance may see me as a friend when they're in that situation and use our relationship to deflect accusations of racism

ikkemenx

Black Republican said:
any wrestling fans? what do u think of mark henry being world champ, 1st black world champ in nearly 5 years since king booker.

Hahahahaha King Booker. Not really a fan but I grew up watching WWF/WCW and playing Wrestlemania and such. Some great memories. A very popular pass-time in the hood I grew up in. Do they still have Kain and Undertaker?!

Measley

Black Republican said:
any wrestling fans? what do u think of mark henry being world champ, 1st black world champ in nearly 5 years since king booker.

I'd actually prefer a discussion on the black champions in MMA (i.e. Jon Jones and Anderson Silva). It seems that they are hated by many in the MMA community because they're black.

DominoKid

Black Republican said:

Mark Henry's lame.

People just hate Anderson because he trolls the shit out of his opponents and fans.

JCX

lightless_shado said:

Yes, and I am pretty sure that I've called a few of them out on that.

Measley said:
I'd actually prefer a discussion on the black champions in MMA (i.e. Jon Jones and Anderson Silva). It seems that they are hated by many in the MMA community because they're black.

That's news to me about them being hated because of their skin. Personally, I love how Anderson trolls his opponents but I definitely see how people would hate such behavior. Jon Jones, on the other hand, based on reading MMA gaf is hated because he isn't humble enough, is a snitch and tends to fake accents and beef (Rashad).

Anyways, who are everyone's favorite fighters?

Sup my people! Long time no see. This new job has been kicking my ass! No more time to browse GAF at work like I used to. On a positive note for the first time since moving to FL there is another black male in my company! He's much older than me but it's great to finally have another brotha around the office for a change.

Mr.Fresh

MWS Natural said:
Sup my people! Long time no see. This new job has been kicking my ass! No more time to browse GAF at work like I used to. On a positive note for the first time since moving to FL there is another black male in my company! He's much older than me but it's great to finally have another brotha around the office for a change.

Nice! How long have you been there? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Black Republican said:
it's nice to see a strong heel character being built up, and i really hope they don't waste his dominance on Orton regaining the title, they need to put someone else over. i would say more, but i gotta go pay my air bill, bbl!

Measley said:
people hate Anderson Silva!?!?!? i know some people were upset at his fights a few years back, but hate?! that should be left for GSP...

i can see why some people would hate on Jon Jones... he crushed their Pride favorites back to back. i've been a fan of rampage and shogun since way back and man, in those fights, they just had nothing to offer to Jones, it was just so strange. then of course, there are the people who are like "i hate him because he's a snitch" and of course i'm like ... wait a second ... hold up ... isn't a huge problem in the black community that people don't "snitch"? now people are hating on a succesful guy for being a snitch? really? is that the message you want to send to kids?

Black Republican said:
Shouts out to Black WrestleGAF.

He definitely deserves this run. He's been in the company for about 15 years, grinding. He came a long way; from Random Olympian to Sexual Chocolate to heel that they didn't know what to do with to champ. They're billing him as a legitimate threat to the roster and he pinned Randy Orton clean, which is a rarity in itself.

I hope he's successful in his run, but I fear he'll lose his belt quickly. They should continue building up his mean streak and keep the belt on him for a bit. Admittedly I have been complaining in a jokingly way in WrestleGAF threads that we haven't had a top card black champion in eons and I'm glad Henry ended that trend.

ikkemenx said:
Do they still have Kain and Undertaker?!
Undertaker is on vacation after beating HHH in a great match (not as great as HBK vs. Taker I and II) at this year's WrestleMania. This upcoming WrestleMania might be his last, too. Nagging injuries and age is working against him.

Kane's also on vacation. In the storylines, he was one of the people that Mark Henry "injured" on his way to the belt. The WWE creative team had no idea what to do with Kane's character for a while, and I hope they find something to do with him when he returns.

Also keep at it, MWS Natural. You the homey. Negro-Age originals!

Measley said:

I hit up quite a few mma forums, i've don't recall seeing any disrespect towards them for being black. Only lack of humility, being "fake" or, trolling.

ikkemenx

spindashing said:
Shouts out to Black WrestleGAF.

He definitely deserves this run. He's been in the company for about 15 years, grinding. He came a long way; from Random Olympian to Sexual Chocolate to heel that they didn't know what to do with to champ. They're billing him as a legitimate threat to the roster and he pinned Randy Orton clean, which is a rarity in itself.

I hope he's successful in his run, but I fear he'll lose his belt quickly. They should continue building up his mean streak and keep the belt on him for a bit. Admittedly I have been complaining in a jokingly way in WrestleGAF threads that we haven't had a top card black champion in eons and I'm glad Henry ended that trend.

Undertaker is on vacation after beating HHH in a great match (not as great as HBK vs. Taker I and II) at this year's WrestleMania. This upcoming WrestleMania might be his last, too. Nagging injuries and age is working against him.

Kane's also on vacation. In the storylines, he was one of the people that Mark Henry "injured" on his way to the belt. The WWE creative team had no idea what to do with Kane's character for a while, and I hope they find something to do with him when he returns.

Also keep at it, MWS Natural. You the homey. Negro-Age originals!

I remember this one time where he would like, tie people up and light them on fire. And when he interrupted Edge and Lita's wedding in the ring and kicked both they asses. Good times <3 I wouldn't mind watching wrestling again

Ace_235 said:
Nice! How long have you been there? (If you don't mind me asking.)
I month and a half now. Things have been going great, I've made a really good first impression and I am excelling above my peers. Last week the company was acquired by a larger MSP so that was a bit of a shakeup but it's looking more like a positive than a negative right now.

Maddness

Measley said:

Jon Jones is a beast. I wanted Rampage to win that fight, but he got put on the B-Team. (see what I did there)

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Maddness said:
Jon Jones is a beast. I wanted Rampage to win that fight, but he got put on the B-Team. (see what I did there)

he didnt even look in shape or interested in fighting , he tried to go after him earnestly like...3 times other than that, stand off and Jones sticking to his game plan. I think Rampage threw like 4 kicks...in what 3 rounds or so...he definitely doesnt have that SOUL STILL BURNS type intensity that gave him a shot against anyone.

DonasaurusRex said:
he didnt even look in shape or interested in fighting , he tried to go after him earnestly like...3 times other than that, stand off and Jones sticking to his game plan. I think Rampage threw like 4 kicks...in what 3 rounds or so...he definitely doesnt have that SOUL STILL BURNS type intensity that gave him a shot against anyone.
I think rampage said he was afraid of getting poked in the eye, because Jon Jones would put his fingers out in front of him every time he got closed. He said he should of just got closer anyway that way the ref would tell him stop or something.
RedSwirl said:
This been posted yet (skip to 1:10)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzeREh_m1Mk
lol this is amazing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
lightless_shado said:

I grew up in a predominantly white jewish neighbourhood so to a lot of my friends I definitely am their only black friend. To my knowledge I've never heard any of them use me as defense. I've heard more times of them getting into fights with people because they make a racist remark towards me that I don't hear.

Top Bottom