• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Maddness

Londa said:
woooooowww
I know this might sound like a stupid question but, is adderall a drug people use to get high on?

I don't know about getting high, but I know people take that shit in college to help them cram and study all night etc.

MWS Natural said:
I guess sounding like a crackhead is a bannable offense lol.
Seems like Gaf talks about marijuana use all the time. I don't get the rules around here sometimes. Dude sounded like a fiend in that post though lol.

RedSwirl

Can we talk about nicknames for a minute? I wanna find out if this is a black thing, a southern black thing, or just a southern thing or whatever.

Basically, almost no one in my extended family is regularly referred to by their legal first name. This has created a phenomenon where I actually didn't know the real first names of a lot of my cousins, uncles, aunts, and grandparents until I was an adult. I see some dude's name on caller ID, not knowing who the hell it is, and it turns out it's my uncle.

Londa

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Can we talk about nicknames for a minute? I wanna find out if this is a black thing, a southern black thing, or just a southern thing or whatever.

Basically, almost no one in my extended family is regularly referred to by their legal first name. This has created a phenomenon where I actually didn't know the real first names of a lot of my cousins, uncles, aunts, and grandparents until I was an adult. I see some dude's name on caller ID, not knowing who the hell it is, and it turns out it's my uncle.

I think it depends on the person. I have several nicknames but I am rarely called them that much.

Probably a black southern thing, if anything. Our nicknames tend to be based off of personality, or something that happened, or a reaction to something funny, or . . . basically anything except the person's name.

As opposed to making William, Will or Thomas, Tommy.

Master Milk said:
Probably a black southern thing, if anything. Our nicknames tend to be based off of personality, or something that happened, or a reaction to something funny, or . . . basically anything except the person's name.

As opposed to making William, Will or Thomas, Tommy.

True but throughout my life here in Miami, I've been called Jeff' or J. instead of my full name. I hardly recall anyone addressing me by my full name aside from school and work.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My entire family's from Alabama, and not one person has a nickname, out of hundreds.
Big Baybee said:
Seems like Gaf talks about marijuana use all the time. I don't get the rules around here sometimes. Dude sounded like a fiend in that post though lol.
Asking for PMs is already bannable. Asking for PMs from someone to sell you pills is probably a permaban.

RedSwirl said:

Yea, nicknames are fun =)

Londa said:
woooooowww
I know this might sound like a stupid question but, is adderall a drug people use to get high on?

I personally find it to be a nice head rush.

The feeling I would describe it as is : Anxious

I've never really gotten any work done on it, too fidgety.

MIMIC

Banned
RedSwirl said:

On my dad's side (from Tennessee), I think his family has a bunch of nicknames for each other, but on my mom's side (from Alabama), I don't think they have any. My cousins are referred to by their middle names, but I think that's it.

J@hranimo

Banned
RedSwirl said:

Well...it all depends on the family. In my family certain people have nicknames but we all know our full names. I have a couple of legit nicknames based on my name or if people just didn't feel like pronouncing it right they would say "J" or "Jah" or whatever.

ikkemenx said:
Succesful Black Man

There, forgot to add the link.

Haha oh wow! A few of these are hilarious. I'm gonna run these into the dirt on tumblr later.

RedSwirl

J@hranimo said:
Well...it all depends on the family. In my family certain people have nicknames but we all know our full names. I have a couple of legit nicknames based on my name or if people just didn't feel like pronouncing it right they would say "J" or "Jah" or whatever.

So basically my family is just F'd up like that.

On nicknames, I'm the only person in my immediate family with a nickname oddly enough, but I think other relatives have nicknames. I do know one whose real name is named after a certain holiday and people call them by their nickname because it's the less awkward option.

No, I'm not named after a holiday.

jaxword

MWS Natural said:
Just seen X-Men First Class.

Really?

Typical Hollywood shit how the one black character turns out.

Well, there's always Star Trek, where the main black character Sisko multitasks:

-Gets promoted to Captain
-Raises his son to be a writer
-Saves Earth from war
-Ascends to a incorporeal higher plane of existence
-Beats up insubordinate aliens

mo5oA.jpg

Mr. Patch

Do any of you guys go to any HBCU homecomings? FAMU's homecoming events have been going on all week and the game is today.

A bunch of white people leave town during it lol. Scary asses...

This world can be rather confusing to me at times and I turn to GAF tonight for an opinion and perhaps a definitive answer to one thing that I find puzzling.

I speak as clearly and precisely as possible and have trouble with coded language like idioms, metaphors and occasionally the random simile in day to day conversation. I have recently come to question the usage of the words Boss and Chief when used to refer to others. Would anyone out there be willing to clarify what these words mean when used in certain settings and situations? For example, today at work I was called Boss or Chief a number of times by different individuals while tending to their needs. All of the times it was done by a male of similar or slightly older age.

I am unsure what their intentions were and upon browsing urbandictionary.com I have come to realize that there is a possibility that those words could have had a negative connotation to them.

I will give a few more details to help sort this issue out. The work I do is basic work, yet requires a bit of quick thinking. I am only there part time and take the work very seriously. I try to be as polite and helpful as possible and always have a smile. I am in the U.S.A and my skin is brown.

Is something going on here that I should attempt to quash, or is it generally being used as a term of respect?

Any insight is welcome. I will attempt to answer as many questions as possible that I am comfortable with.

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed at some point in the thread. If it has I will search in the thread but a Google search brought up nothing.

Please help?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
KibblesBits said:
This world can be rather confusing to me at times and I turn to GAF tonight for an opinion and perhaps a definitive answer to one thing that I find puzzling.

I speak as clearly and precisely as possible and have trouble with coded language like idioms, metaphors and occasionally the random simile in day to day conversation. I have recently come to question the usage of the words Boss and Chief when used to refer to others. Would anyone out there be willing to clarify what these words mean when used in certain settings and situations? For example, today at work I was called Boss or Chief a number of times by different individuals while tending to their needs. All of the times it was done by a male of similar or slightly older age.

I am unsure what their intentions were and upon browsing urbandictionary.com I have come to realize that there is a possibility that those words could have had a negative connotation to them.

I will give a few more details to help sort this issue out. The work I do is basic work, yet requires a bit of quick thinking. I am only there part time and take the work very seriously. I try to be as polite and helpful as possible and always have a smile. I am in the U.S.A and my skin is brown.

Is something going on here that I should attempt to quash, or is it generally being used as a term of respect?

Any insight is welcome. I will attempt to answer as many questions as possible that I am comfortable with.

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed at some point in the thread. If it has I will search in the thread but a Google search brought up nothing.

Please help?
I wasn't aware that boss and chief had negative connotations.

Parallax said:
I wasn't aware that boss and chief had negative connotations.

Urbandictionary says so. I am unsure, so I turn to the Black Culture thread rather than make a whole thread about my concern over the usage of language which may simply be misreading a situation.

KibblesBits said:
Urbandictionary says so. I am unsure, so I turn to the Black Culture thread rather than make a whole thread about my concern over the usage of language which may simply be misreading a situation.
You are reading too much into, unless they were saying it in a sarcastic or condescending manner.

zero_suit

KibblesBits said:

I've never heard it used in a demeaning manner.

zero_suit said:
I've never heard it used in a demeaning manner.

MWS Natural said:
You are reading too much into, unless they were saying it in a sarcastic or condescending manner.

Yes, that was the point of my post, I couldn't tell. But the majority of replies so far seem to indicate no so I will not worry about it now.

KibblesBits said:

Please help?
It's all good, bro.

Veidt said:
http://wallbase.cc/wallpaper/215049

Very impressive. Best portrayal of the different ethnicities I've seen so far!
Wow. So diverse.

Londa

Banned
KibblesBits said:

Please help?

I think your problem is that you know you are in the US and you have heard and read a ton of racist things that have happened in the US. You are not born in America so you protect yourself before you even are subjected to racism. Sometimes you just have to ignore the fact that you are black until you are actually up against real racism.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
magnificent83 said:
I don't see my tribe on the list, it is invalidated in my eyes
Don't worry. My whole country isn't on that list.
Although, I think the guy on the lower right corner is wearing the right attire, though no text is attributed to him. I guess they just didn't have enough time for us!

RedSwirl

I'm gonna go ahead and saying: I'm honestly shocked at the number of people I see here who are black but not African American, or from traditionally African American backgrounds. I've met maybe one (?) other person here from a southern black family.

Bleepey said:
http://www.nmanet.org/publications/December2010/OC1198.pdf

A paper by the CDC on downlow black men. What does black gaf think?
Adjusted for taboo, I'd say the number is probably closer to 20%.

I think it's always troubling to see people delusional about the amount of risk they're taking on in sexual relationships. I think people should ask more questions about their potential partner's sexual history (50% asking is not going to fucking cut it). I think the fact that somewhere around 20% of respondents at these HBCU's are having sex with down-low brothas is...fucking scary to me.

Lastly, 40% of the respondents didn't use a condom for their last sexual encounter? Come the fuck on, people. If the most educated in the community are making decisions this poor, we're in trouble.

RedSwirl said:
I'm gonna go ahead and saying: I'm honestly shocked at the number of people I see here who are black but not African American, or from traditionally African American backgrounds. I've met maybe one (?) other person here from a southern black family.
locally or on GAF?

Bleepey

Dreams-Visions said:
Adjusted for taboo, I'd say the number is probably closer to 20%.

I think it's always troubling to see people delusional about the amount of risk they're taking on in sexual relationships. I think people should ask more questions about their potential partner's sexual history (50% asking is not going to fucking cut it). I think the fact that somewhere around 20% of respondents at these HBCU's are having sex with down-low brothas is...fucking scary to me.

Lastly, 40% of the respondents didn't use a condom for their last sexual encounter? Come the fuck on, people. If the most educated in the community are making decisions this poor, we're in trouble.

locally or on GAF?

It shocks me at the number of people who do not use condoms for sex. Black or white. I am naive to how sex feels without a condom and i thought that was how pretty much eveyrone who did not want to have kids or STIs was because they were not stupid or irresponsible. I am trying not to come across as judgemental but damn it baffles me and i worked in sexual health promotion.

Bleepey said:
It shocks me at the number of people who do not use condoms for sex. Black or white. I am naive to how sex feels without a condom and i thought that was how pretty much eveyrone who did not want to have kids or STIs was because they were not stupid or irresponsible. I am trying not to come across as judgemental but damn it baffles me and i worked in sexual health promotion.
same. I've had a few break on me and didn't notice, but the notion of going in *knowing* that you don't have a working condom is just...I don't see how you do that with a partner you're not on the road to marrying.

Bleepey

Dreams-Visions said:
same. I've had a few break on me and didn't notice, but the notion of going in *knowing* that you don't have a working condom is just...I don't see how you do that with a partner you're not on the road to marrying.

Very true. I can understand people not knowing you should change them every half hour or using a size that's not best for them but hey people will be irresponsible.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
hurray for education, cuz my first time with a girl, i used a condom. Not the case sadly for a few people i knew, so that PDF above doesn't surprise me much

jaypah

RedSwirl said:
So basically my family is just F'd up like that.

Nah dude, I'm from new orleans and literally everyone in my family has a nickname. The OTT part is that at least half of my family has 2 or more nicknames. It took my girlfriend over a year to figure it all out, lol

"we're going by lele"

"who?"

"Tee Lola"

"who?"

"aunt Leola, down by the bridge where we catch the parade"

"oh......but your mom calls her Tina"

"......yeah"

Top Bottom