• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

RedSwirl

Sorry to jump from thing to thing here, but tomorrow I'll be getting my monthly haircut and am having to reorganize my entire schedule around it. Does anybody else specifically choose to go to "black" barber shops?

Back when I was maintaining a skin fade I could have just about anyone cut my hair. My hair grows so fast though that maintaining a low cut requires almost weekly haircuts so I just decided to grow it out and only trim it when it got difficult to comb, but that requires someone who knows "afro" hair to maintain.

Problem is, where I am that guy is a 45-minute drive away. If I don't wanna wait at a two-hour line (he's apparently a pretty popular barber) my choices are Wednesdays (their least busy day) or driving up there at 5am on Saturdays.

Lebron

RedSwirl said:
Does anybody else specifically choose to go to "black" barber shops?
I don't trust any other race with doing the edge ups. I've tried to trust before and always ended up getting owned. Never again unless I can get confirmation of their talents. Yup, it's like that.

Shanadeus

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Sorry to jump from thing to thing here, but tomorrow I'll be getting my monthly haircut and am having to reorganize my entire schedule around it. Does anybody else specifically choose to go to "black" barber shops?

Back when I was maintaining a skin fade I could have just about anyone cut my hair. My hair grows so fast though that maintaining a low cut requires almost weekly haircuts so I just decided to grow it out and only trim it when it got difficult to comb, but that requires someone who knows "afro" hair to maintain.

Problem is, where I am that guy is a 45-minute drive away. If I don't wanna wait at a two-hour line (he's apparently a pretty popular barber) my choices are Wednesdays (their least busy day) or driving up there at 5am on Saturdays.
I saw one the other day and its offer of "Afro-carrebian" food and Wi-fi with every haircut did intrigue me a bit.
Only thing stopping me from getting a haircut there is the rather high risk of falling hair ruining my meal and laptop.

Got my hair cut at a 'black' barber shop for the first time.

I'm white, but I wanted to see if black barber shops were as great as I'd heard. Sure enough, the dude was totally cool, did a hell of a job on my hair, and had a lot of interesting things to say about a wide variety of topics.

Best barber experience I've ever had...

Black barbershop or bust.

Luckily, the barbershop I go to is on the same street as where I live; it's merely a few blocks away from me. I can just walk there, get my dark caesar and go back home.

Mononofu

spindashing said:
Black barbershop or bust.

Luckily, the barbershop I go to is on the same street as where I live; it's merely a few blocks away from me. I can just walk there, get my dark caesar and go back home.

This

I stepped into a white barbershop on accident one day when my usual was closed. Didn't wanna to look like a little punk and turn around and walk out once I found out. Nothing to be said but damn....

Mr.Fresh

Ive been going to black barbershops my whole life. Never even been inside a white one. I have tried a Spanish one once in a while. Im African American btw

Londa

Banned
eternaLightness said:
I'm gonna go to supercuts one day and see what happens.

haha one white salon stylist told me that if she did highlights in my hair it would come out looking like little balls instead of streaks.

Imm0rt4l

I only ever go to black barbershops. I don't mind getting my haircut by a young white dude if he seems to know what he's doing though, but My barbers are generally always black or latino and quite a few instances Asian cats. I would never go to a supercuts or anything like that.

Whoompthereitis said:
Got my hair cut at a 'black' barber shop for the first time.

I'm white, but I wanted to see if black barber shops were as great as I'd heard. Sure enough, the dude was totally cool, did a hell of a job on my hair, and had a lot of interesting things to say about a wide variety of topics.

Best barber experience I've ever had...
I've had so many good conversations in barbershops.

I just started going back to the barbershop this year. Went about 2 months ago after having not gone almost 8 years. I'm thinking of getting a nice set and learning to cut my hair on my own.

i haven't been to a barbershop in ...ok, well, i've *BEEN* to barbershops, but haven't had a haircut in a barbershop since the early 90's.

been to hair salons to get my hair braided a lot though. hairdressers and their clients have way more entertaining conversation.

well, except me, i just sit quietly and listen as i'm usually the only dude there.

my and some other buds are trying to help out a black friend of ours. he has an afro that he pats down (maybe an inch high?), but we're trying to give the dude a makeover (mainly because his gf keeps bugging us, but that's another story). what kind of haircuts do black folks get? he says he wants to keep his hair, but idk.

Kaizer

Banned
Haven't been to barbershop in about 7 years. My Dad used to trim my hair when I was younger, thank god he knew how to do a proper edge line and trim. Got my own set of clippers as a graduation present last year, been trimming my own hair ever since.

The Faceless Master said:
i haven't been to a barbershop in ...ok, well, i've *BEEN* to barbershops, but haven't had a haircut in a barbershop since the early 90's.

been to hair salons to get my hair braided a lot though. hairdressers and their clients have way more entertaining conversation.

well, except me, i just sit quietly and listen as i'm usually the only dude there.

I been to a salon that did braids once and really hated it. It's like they didn't want to do my hair for some reason. I then started going to an african shop where they were cheaper and faster. They spoke French so there was very little conversation between us.

Mr.Fresh

foodtaster said:
my and some other buds are trying to help out a black friend of ours. he has an afro that he pats down (maybe an inch high?), but we're trying to give the dude a makeover (mainly because his gf keeps bugging us, but that's another story). what kind of haircuts do black folks get? he says he wants to keep his hair, but idk.

Just him to get a regular hair cut and shape-up. If he's going to a black barber where i live if u dont want your hair cut all the way down just tell them he wants a "One and a half". Well thats how we do it in NJ.

foodtaster said:
tell him to get dreadlocks!

Ace_235 said:
Ive been going to black barbershops my whole life. Never even been inside a white one. I have tried a Spanish one once in a while. Im African American btw

My mom tried taking me to a Fantastic Sams as a kid when we first moved to the suburbs, and no one on staff knew how to cut black hair lol. So we wound up driving around downtown until we found a black barbershop

I love my barbershop two Dominican’s run the place, they sells bootleg movies, runs Madden tournaments and the stories people tell in that place is priceless. Once I needed a cut badly and they were on vacation I went to a place that didn’t know how to cut black hair NEVER AGAIN!!! It was bad and she had the nerve to charge full price.

Kaizer

Banned
Zibrahim said:
Any reactions from what's on reddit right now?

Reference. This is one of the ugliest things I've seen on the internet. And I've been to the chan.
Ugly being the key word here, jesus it's hard to read what's what on that site. Now I see why I never go there.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Zibrahim said:

Reference. This is one of the ugliest things I've seen on the internet. And I've been to the chan.
Fucking pathetic. First they anatagonize her, and when she gets defensive, he attacks? Mentally disabled people are my weakspot, and these assholes need their shit kicked in.

ecurbj

Zibrahim said:

The fuck ! Seriously...I mean she is mentally ill and these guys have nothing better else to do with their lives but to make fun or punch her?

Sick man...

bobbychalkers said:
After watching that video, I already know that I don't want to read the comments.
this.

edit:

[–]recycle_throwaways 21 points 2 hours ago

All right- so I see this video and those punks are pieces of shit. And I come into the comments to see if anybody is like "I know that store front!" or "Here's a link to the new article about it," but what do I find?

A bunch of white kids throwing the word nigger around like it's fucking Alabama in the 1940's.

These kids aren't niggers. These kids are punks, pieces of shit, assholes, who the authorities to come down on them. But they aren't niggers.

Niggers are slaves. Niggers are blacks under Jim Crow laws. Niggers are an entire race of people in the eyes of cowards like the KKK. Nigger is a word of hate and it is racist. I don't care how you personally define it. History and society define it as a fucking racist word degrade black men and women. And guess what? There's blacks on reddit too! We're probably more considerate than some of my friends back in my old neighborhood who would jump a white kid for saying words like that. Maybe we tolerate it more than we should. The point is- this isn't fucking 4chan. I see these nigger comments getting upvotes. I want you to ask yourself- would you upvote it the same if they said "ass clowns" or "jack wads" instead of nigger? No, you probably wouldn't- because it excited you to see a taboo word on the internet. It excites you to think you can be a little racist here, because these punk kids deserve it.

These kids deserve the book thrown at them. But nobody deserves racism.
word.

SmokyDave

Zibrahim said:

Scum. Pure & simple scum.

I take comfort in the fact he'll probably be dead before his 40th birthday.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
SmokyDave said:
Scum. Pure & simple scum.

I take comfort in the fact he'll probably be dead before his 40th birthday.

those types usually are. mostly for poking the bear too.

Londa

Banned
So, what does black gaf have plan for the weekend?

I have a silly amount of homework and two test next week. My weekend will be pretty much bland because of school work.

Londa said:

I have a silly amount of homework and two text next week. My weekend will be pretty much bland because of school work.
My college documentary project and helping some other folks with production/shooting. Oh, I'm watching a funk band's gig.

Londa said:

I have a silly amount of homework and two test next week. My weekend will be pretty much bland because of school work.
I've got a programming major assignment due in a few hours that I'm just starting on. My Phantom Kingdom PSP port finally came today, so I'll probably be on that as much as possible all weekend, neglecting all other homework that I might should be doing. And we get Monday off for Fall Break, so I might just finish the game this "weekend."

Top Bottom