• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

ReiGun

Slayven said:
Can I be real for a moment?

I hate with the power of a million million suns when GaF has a blacks in America(except for this thread)threads. Some posters make it seem like the Black American is the most sad, pathetic, self defeating creature on earth.
They are pretty terrible, but usually worth at least skimming for the interesting links that pop up in them.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Slayven said:
Can I be real for a moment?

I hate with the power of a million million suns when GaF has a blacks in America(except for this thread)threads. Some posters make it seem like the Black American is the most sad, pathetic, self defeating creature on earth.

"Blacks on NeoGAF - A Case Study"

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Mononofu said:
Whoa how did I miss this thread @_@

i love the pic in the OP lol , i chose not to engage in that thread either, at this stage of the game ...and my life i dunno if its worth talkin about shit, just be about it like our ancestors somehow did with the deck stacked against them.

In that thread, I learned that blacks are dumber criminals, are idiots at drug dealing, are solely responsible for any of their socioeconomic issues in America, and that slavery has zero relevance/effect on anything that exists today, either as a function of black culture or as a function of the country as a whole.

Race/ethnicity threads on GAF are spectacular. Everyone says they want to talk about the issues, but *nobody* really does.

captmcblack said:
In that thread, I learned that blacks are dumber criminals, are idiots at drug dealing, are solely responsible for any of their socioeconomic issues in America, and that slavery has zero relevance/effect on anything that exists today, either as a function of black culture or as a function of the country as a whole.

Race/ethnicity threads on GAF are spectacular. Everyone says they want to talk about the issues, but *nobody* really does.

Gender ones don't fare better. It's hard discussing many issues on this forum since many haven't bothered with the "101" of minority issues. So you have to re-explain several social issues and culturally constructed problems, only for them to go "LALALALA CANT HEAR YOU." So you rarely ever really get to have higher intellectual discussions about these things.

Fuck is it ever annoying.

GAF has come a long way, though - there was a time you couldn't even have threads discussing race/gender/sexuality issues, because they'd be shit up almost instantly. It's sorta neat to see the different subcommunities exist around here, and get along well too.

Clearly video games break the walls down, yeah?

Also, what are we doing tonight, Black Culture Thread?
Right now I'm watching World Series game 2, eating sushi and sipping Jim Beam on the rocks.

S-rank boss status, y'all.

zero_suit

captmcblack said:
Right now I'm watching World Series game 2, eating sushi and sipping Jim Beam on the rocks.

Watchin' The Shield. I just started S3.

Slayven

Devolution said:
Gender ones don't fare better. It's hard discussing many issues on this forum since many haven't bothered with the "101" of minority issues. So you have to re-explain several social issues and culturally constructed problems, only for them to go "LALALALA CANT HEAR YOU." So you rarely ever really get to have higher intellectual discussions about these things.

Fuck is it ever annoying.
I think a lot of people just don' t or haven't had much dealings with this kind of stuff
So they just talk out the ass or recit something from a pamphlet.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm the only black guy in Intel and holy fuck do I get reminded of it every day. Relaxing with some Sade and guilty gear.

I often feel like I'm not really doing my part by not commenting in a lot of race threads like the one posted above. Seeing how a lot of them tend to just be all over the place most of the time, I just end up ignoring the threads and let people who probably have something better to say, say it.

Anyways, I'm watching the WS also and thinking if I really want BF3 or not.

zero_suit said:
Watchin' The Shield. I just started S3.

Auto SS rank.

That and The Wire were the best cop shows on television.

And I know better than to go past the first page in most of those threads now. Too many people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Later, Playing Uncharted 3 with the wife, and some dinner.

captmcblack said:

Making beats, Watching Resident Evil on SyFy.

SoilBreak

Banned
captmcblack said:

Playing God Eater Burst

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
captmcblack said:
GAF has come a long way, though - there was a time you couldn't even have threads discussing race/gender/sexuality issues, because they'd be shit up almost instantly. It's sorta neat to see the different subcommunities exist around here, and get along well too.

Clearly video games break the walls down, yeah?

I must admit, the last thread was civilized (as far civilized as race discussions go on a video game message board) but some posters still made me forehead slap so hard my grandmother felt it. I get the idea that everyone on GAF thinks they know everything about everything...and then fall flat when discussing it.

Anyway, I'm sipping a beer, and listening to David Bowie, while waiting for Sunny in Philadelphia to come on.

S++ boss status

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
captmcblack said:

You seem to be making a lot of excuses with this post..

:(

zero_suit

DrFunk said:
I must admit, the last thread was civilized (as far civilized as race discussions go on a video game message board) but some posters still made me forehead slap so hard my grandmother felt it. I get the idea that everyone on GAF thinks they know everything about everything...and then fall flat when discussing it.

Anyway, I'm sipping a beer, and listening to David Bowie, while waiting for Sunny in Philadelphia to come on.

S++ boss status

SMH
;)

Londa

Banned
In that thread SSJ makes me want to wish his account was accidently deleted. But for some reason its perfectly cool on gaf to be racist and also anti-female. Just look at the Mc Donalds thread. Hurt my head.... hurt my head.

What am I doing now? surfing gaf, thinking about the website I'm going to create, avoiding math homework and study, and trying to stop myself from playing video games. Oh and I think I'm going to make some green tea (who here likes green tea?).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Live in Japan.. but like Oolong tea (from Taiwan to be exact) more than Green Tea

Londa

Banned
DrFunk said:
There's 5 boxes of green tea in my office at work

Must break into your office for dat tea.

Do you ever drink the flavored green tea? or do you drink plain green tea?

I've found that plain green tea taste better than any flavor mixtures I've tasted.

Blackace said:
Live in Japan.. but like Oolong tea (from Taiwan to be exact) more than Green Tea

I've never been to Japan, I'm sure it would be great to drink green tea straight from Japan.

oh, wow. I've never had Oolong tea before. Now I have to try it.

zero_suit said:
I had some green tea a couple of hours ago.

Now I HAVE to get me some green tea. (I even have a special mug that has a cover to keep the tea warm). True tea nerding.

commedieu said:
I like tofu. And find seitan chicken 'wings' pretty damned good.

The tofu I had at Whole foods was pretty decent. I think I'm going to try more tofu dishes.

eternaLightness said:
Green tea is the ish. Just bought me a box today.

What brand of green tea do you buy? I'm always open to new suggestions.

bobbychalkers said:
Never had green tea....or barely any tea for that matter. I am a poor excuse for a southerner.

Not even that Mc Donalds sweet tea? lol its just a dollar.

Blackace said:
You seem to be making a lot of excuses with this post..

:(

I obviously didn't want to succeed at reading these threads enough!

FUCK THA POLICE

Also, iced green tea > * except iced black tea.

Tea tier listing is as follows:

iced black tea
iced green tea
iced white tea
iced red tea
hot green tea
hot black tea
hot white tea

Londa

Banned
captmcblack said:
I obviously didn't want to succeed at reading these threads enough!

FUCK THA POLICE

Also, iced green tea > * except iced black tea.

Tea tier listing is as follows:

iced black tea
iced green tea
iced white tea
iced red tea
hot green tea
hot black tea
hot white tea

How can you choose ice tea over hot tea? smh...SMH.....S....M....H!

I've finally gotten around to trying to watch The Wire after being pestered by various people, including one of my college professors, to watch it. Right now, I'm towards the end of season 2 and I like it a lot. Admittedly, I did like season 1 slightly better. Season 2 doesn't have as many memorable scenes so far except
when Stringer had D killed in prison behind Barksdale's back. That shit crae.

Deciding on watching one more episode (which would be the penultimate one for season 2) or taking my butt to bed. hmmmm.....

I had never heard of the "slavery card" before that thread. Jesus. Do people not know that slavery and the 100 years of discrimination after slavery set black folks development in this country back hundreds of years?

zero_suit

Bay Maximus said:
I've finally gotten around to trying to watch The Wire after being pestered by various people, including one of my college professors, to watch it. Right now, I'm towards the end of season 2 and I like it a lot. Admittedly, I did like season 1 slightly better. Season 2 doesn't have as many memorable scenes so far except
when Stringer had D killed in prison behind Barksdale's back. That shit crae.

Deciding on watching one more episode (which would be the penultimate one for season 2) or taking my butt to bed. hmmmm.....

S3 and S4 = god tier.

Big Baybee said:
I had never heard of the "slavery card" before that thread. Jesus.

It's the perfect defense. Go to your nearest electronics store, grab a plasma off the wall and leave. If they say something tell them to stop playing the grand larceny card.

Gaf has been on a bit of a roll recently so I find myself slowly reverting back to lurker status.

zero_suit said:
S3 and S4 = god tier.

Good to know. Should be getting started on S3 sometime this weekend.

Londa

Banned
boba? I've never heard of that. Now I have to try it one day.

Big Baybee said:
I had never heard of the "slavery card" before that thread. Jesus. Do people not know that slavery and the 100 years of discrimination after slavery set black folks development in this country back hundreds of years?

Did you see the person who said that blacks had better family life during slavery?

Top Bottom