• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Maddness said:
As I said in the sitcom thread, Living Single was the shit. I would watch that show constantly. I am trying to remember my favorite episode. I remember the one where they went to that cabin out in the woods.

Overton was the shit, I felt bad for the guy, though. Dude was always getting caught up in shit and wasn't sure how to handle it.

I also lusted over Kim Fields and Erika Alexander. I wish it still came on TV. I'd watch the hell out of it.

I was probably too young to lust but I definitely appreciated their beauty.

So I'm thinking about cutting my hair for the first time. I wouldn't be cutting it really low so it makes me less nervous about doing it. Any of you guys have experience cutting your own hair?

zero_suit

eternaLightness said:
So I'm thinking about cutting my hair for the first time. I wouldn't be cutting it really low so it makes me less nervous about doing it. Any of you guys have experience cutting your own hair?

It's easy, but it's tough to line up the neckline by yourself.

eternaLightness said:
I've only ever cut my hair bald. That was easy. I couldn't imagine giving myself a caesar of any kind.

eternaLightness said:
I won't cut my own hair until I start shaving my head bald.

Londa

Banned
SoilBreak said:
iYQAACVofDhie.gif

bwhahaha :)

lol. It's just I go to the barber my bro goes to and it's like 30 mins away. I'll mostly just be keeping it maintained and not actually cutting and I'll use the larger clipper guides that come with a set.

For me, lining myself up is the easy part.

Just make sure you use the guards and you basically can't mess up. Though giving yourself a fade or taper of any sort is out of the question for now

Measley said:
A world where some black Americans have had enough of the situation getting worse, and want a real change to take place within the black community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0QFZBLca4&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gh3_e3mDQ8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL2AF7AC65D072F43B

And its nothing new....

And by change I see you mean preaching to the chior? I doubt either one of the people speaking could relate how life is like in the roughest neighborhoods nor how to adequately combat any prevailing mindset.

I also believe that none of the people they were talking to.... are the intended demographic.

What we have here is now a growing class of well to do black people who think that the only way to solve the problems is to turn around and try to send the message...... DO BETTER. To the parents, to the youngsters and everyone else involved.

The scary part about it is that they really think that the criticism is an actual solution and it isn't something that hasn't been tried over the decades already.

staticneuron said:
And by change I see you mean preaching to the chior? I doubt either one of the people speaking could relate how life is like in the roughest neighborhoods nor how to adequately combat any prevailing mindset.

I also believe that none of the people they were talking to.... are the intended demographic.

What we have here is now a growing class of well to do black people who think that the only way to solve the problems is to turn around and try to send the message...... DO BETTER. To the parents, to the youngsters and everyone else involved.

The scary part about it is that they really think that the criticism is an actual solution and it isn't something that hasn't been tried over the decades already.
indeed, them uppity .....s should shut the fuck up! THEY DONT KNOW HOW COLD IT IS IN THE D!

eternaLightness said:
Ghosts don't haunt black people.
I've honestly had some weird, freaky stuff in my new place happen. Stuff that has freaked my girl out but I'm always like, "whatever ghost as long as you aint putting your hands on me I ain't stuntin' you" lol.

Slayven

eternaLightness said:
Ghosts don't haunt black people.
I imagine it would be a black dude holding the camera, something freaky happens, and you hear a "Oh hell nah!". Followed by the camera dropping , a door slamming, and tires squealing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tiger uppercut said:
Riley Freeman paraphrase: Black people see ghosts/freaky shit they go, white people see ghosts/freaky shit, they stay and investigate.

God I am old when I know where Boondocks bit their jokes from..

Blackace

Londa said:
pllleeeaaaseeee we don't want any arguments in here. Seriously.

This.. there is a thread for that continue to use it if you want to continue that discussion..

Onemic

Had no idea there was a black culture thread in here, shweet!

Where you're from- Toronto, ON
Where you live- Toronto, ON
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Background is Nigerian, Dad came to Canada in the 70's, Mom in the 80's
Do you know your roots- yup, stated above
Your Age- 22 :(
Favorite musical genre- Hip hop, Psychedelic, Alternative, Jazz, Progressive, Indie
Your profession/major/career interest- Uni student currently(AKA college) Still unsure of what I ultimately want to be, but I dream of being in the games/music industry
Your religious affiliation- Conflicted, but I'll just say christian, at the most extreme I'm agnostic
Hobbies- Gaming, music, drumming, basketball,JET$(not the nfl team)

Blackace

The Faceless Master said:
people wouldn't pay to see a < 30 minute movie.
From when Eddie was funny :(
I was watching Poltergeist last month.

I got a question.

Why don't white people just leave the house
when there's a ghost in the house ?

Y'all stay in the house too fuckin' long.
Get the fuck out of the house !

Very simple: If there's a ghost
in the house, get the fuck out !

And not only did they stay in the house
with the poltergeist, they invite more people over !

Sitting around going: "Our daughter Carroll-Ann's
in the television set."

I would have been gone.

If I had a daughter, went down to the precinct and say

"Look man, I went home my fucking daughter's in the
t.v. set and I just fucking left."

You can have all this, I ain't going back
to the motherfucker.

I just came down so when she ain't at the school
you don't think I killed the bitch or anything like that.

But she is inside the tv set you can have
all that shit. Thank you.

"Mr. Murphy didn't you try to save your daughter?"

Yeah, I'm a man, see I tried to save her

I turned the channels the shit didn't work.
I got the fuck out.

The kid was only years old in the movie,
they couldn't have been to attached to her.

In the amityville horror the ghost
told them to get out of the house.

White people stayed in there. Now that's a hint
and a half for your ass.

A ghost say get the fuck out, I
would just tip the fuck out the door!

Lou Walker looked in the toilet bowl, the're was
blood in the toilet.

And said, "That's peculiar."

I would 've been in the house saying:
"Oh baby this is beautiful."

"We got a chandelier hanging up here, kids
outside playing. Its a beautiful neighbourhood."

"We ain't got nuttin to worry,
I really love it this is really nice."

"GET OUT !"
"Too bad we can't stay, baby !"

Blackace

Londa said:
omg.. did he really say "That's peculiar" to the blood? lmao

That's Peculiar was one of the greatest delievers in stand up.. just classic

and yeah I think it gets said in the movie..

This question might not be suited for this board's demographics, but...

...are there any national/cultural dishes of yours that you think everyone should try? Granted, I'm guessing most people here are European or American, but there must be an Africa-GAF or similar, too. If not, then the wisdom of someone in touch with their roots or knowledgeable about certain dishes common in black communities you grew up in (if you did grow up in one) would be greatly appreciated.

Slayven said:
I imagine it would be a black dude holding the camera, something freaky happens, and you hear a "Oh hell nah!". Followed by the camera dropping , a door slamming, and tires squealing.

Yea, pretty much. Why not just move?

I'm getting a headache just trying to read this post, someone else can figure it out lol.

A joke taken seriously. Ignore.

Maddness

MWS Natural said:
I've honestly had some weird, freaky stuff in my new place happen. Stuff that has freaked my girl out but I'm always like, "whatever ghost as long as you aint putting your hands on me I ain't stuntin' you" lol.

I need details of these touching ghosts....

cooljeanius said:
Terrible OP. If you are going to post something like that you have to come correct. If he had made those claims but backed it up with statistics or articles he would have had a shot at making a point there. But the post rambles on and is only filled with dumb ass anecdotal shit.

Maddness said:
I need details of these touching ghosts....
I'm not getting touched by anything, that's the point. I can hear all types of weird sounds, bangs and things getting knocked over by themselves but as long as nothing is physically touching me I'm going to ignore it.

Londa

Banned
Really now, just because he is black that needed to be posted here?

Lol I guess the person who posted it thought: "oh he said he was black, I think this should be put in the black culture thread, I'm sure teh blacks can't find this on their own"

SmokyDave

Londa said:
Really now, just because he is black that needed to be posted here?

Lol I guess the person who posted it thought: "oh he said he was black, I think this should be put in the black culture thread, I'm sure teh blacks can't find this on their own"
You have some complex complexes.

Blackace

SmokeyDave is one of the few posters I just really want to have a beer with

Londa

Banned
SmokyDave said:
You have some complex complexes.
Or maybe I am aware that everytime there is a new thread on black people it gets posted here and 9 times out of 10 it has nothing to do about black culture or anything positive about black people.

SmokyDave

Blackace said:
SmokeyDave is one of the few posters I just really want to have a beer with
The pleasure would be mine. If the missus wins the holiday battle next year (Me - Italy, Her - Japan), I'll look you up!

Londa said:
Or maybe I am aware that everytime there is a new thread on black people it gets posted here and 9 times out of 10 it has nothing to do about black culture or anything positive about black people.
I think that was a thread about PC gaming. Hard to tell from the OP, I'll grant you!

On a separate note:

Does Roots Manuva have any sort of profile in the states? He's not the best MC, or the worst MC, but he's got certification, he's the first MC.

Londa

Banned
SmokyDave said:
The pleasure would be mine. If the missus wins the holiday battle next year (Me - Italy, Her - Japan), I'll look you up!

I think that was a thread about PC gaming. Hard to tell from the OP, I'll grant you!

On a separate note:

Does Roots Manuva have any sort of profile in the states? He's not the best MC, or the worst MC, but he's got certification, he's the first MC.
If it was a thread only on PC gaming then the person who linked it here wouldn't have felt the need to post it in a thread called Black Culture. It is plain to everyone here that the OP is black and tried to relate his sensitivity to the "PC master race" meme to being black. That has nothing to do with black culture and it actually makes black people look overly sensitive, slightly dumb, with a pinch of can't take a joke.

I guess I thought this thread wasn't about tearing black people down when basically all threads outside of this one is pertaining to black people is negative.

SmokyDave

Londa said:
If it was a thread only on PC gaming then the person who linked it here wouldn't have felt the need to post it in a thread called Black Culture. It is plain to everyone here that the OP is black and tried to relate his sensitivity to the "PC master race" meme to being black. That has nothing to do with black culture and it actually makes black people look overly sensitive, slightly dumb, with a pinch of can't take a joke.

I guess I thought this thread wasn't about tearing black people down when basically all threads outside of this one is pertaining to black people is negative.
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

(post some positive topics).

Top Bottom