• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
eternaLightness said:
I often feel like I'm not really doing my part by not commenting in a lot of race threads like the one posted above. Seeing how a lot of them tend to just be all over the place most of the time, I just end up ignoring the threads and let people who probably have something better to say, say it.

Anyways, I'm watching the WS also and thinking if I really want BF3 or not.
Trust me. These threads always turn. Always. They can start well, but race related threads (or at least black related threads) always turn sour.

Londa

Banned
eternaLightness said:
@Londa- I have Lipton, but I also will get Stash Green Tea which is pretty good also.

I buy Tazo, for some reason it had so much flavor. I think I had Stash tea, but it wasn't green. I'll try the green tea next time I'm at the store.

headbashwall.gif

Londa said:
I buy Tazo, for some reason it had so much flavor. I think I had Stash tea, but it wasn't green. I'll try the green tea next time I'm at the store.

I'll have to try them

I love this thread. We went from talking about Kfc and Popeyes to green tea. XD

cooljeanius said:
Why do you do this to yourself Devo

I don't know, I just expected someone who qualified themselves as educated to understand people being raised in two entirely different cultures internalizing different stigmas and having different experiences. You know basic 101 sociology bullshit.

Devolution said:
I don't know, I just expected someone who qualified themselves as educated to understand people being raised in two entirely different cultures internalizing different stigmas and having different experiences. You know basic 101 sociology bullshit.
Sociology 101? Pft, what kind of college requires students to take that crap.
Student of the social sciences here, so this is sarcasm in case that wasn't clear

Satch

Banned
Devolution said:
Devo, everybody in this thread has been down this road with him (and SSJ1Goku) before and the results are always the same. It simply comes down to having to "Agree to disagree" (and by "agree to disagree", I mean we just have to let it go because nobody's breaking any ground).

Honestly, Devo, I like you because you get it, and people that get it aren't always so easy to find on the internet.

I don't post much of anything on GAF that's worth taking seriously - by choice, because of situations exactly like this - but if you take any one thing from me, I want it to be this:

It is not worth the fatigue. Not with him.

Satchwar said:
Devo, everybody in this thread has been down this road with him (and SSJ1Goku) before and the results are always the same. It simply comes down to having to "Agree to disagree" (and by "agree to disagree", I mean we just have to let it go because nobody's breaking any ground).

Honestly, Devo, I like you because you get it, and people that get it aren't always so easy to find on the internet.

I don't post much of anything on GAF that's worth taking seriously - by choice, because of situations exactly like this - but if you take any one thing from me, I want it to be this:

It is not worth the fatigue. Not with him.

K sis. <3. I'm droppin' it.

That thread about black sitcoms made me miss how I used to watch Living Single and usually I hated adult sitcoms. Something about that show.

Living Single...in a 90s kind of world, I'm glad I got my girls. Fuck Sex and the City.

I'm a white Australian but I'm arguing for the relevance of socially damaging policies on African Americans, against a black American... What is the world coming to.

:)

Measley

Sutton Dagger said:
I'm a white Australian but I'm arguing for the relevance of socially damaging policies on African Americans, against a black American... What is the world coming to.

A world where some black Americans have had enough of the situation getting worse, and want a real change to take place within the black community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0QFZBLca4&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gh3_e3mDQ8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL2AF7AC65D072F43B

And its nothing new....

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sutton Dagger said:

We all argue with measley. Its like a rite of passage.

royalan

Devolution said:
That thread about black sitcoms made me miss how I used to watch Living Single and usually I hated adult sitcoms. Something about that show.

Living Single...in a 90s kind of world, I'm glad I got my girls. Fuck Sex and the City.

Keep ya head up! (What!)
Keep ya head up! (That's right!)
Whenever this life gets tough (you gotta fight)
With my homegirl standin to my left (and my roooight!)
True blue! We tight like glue!

That was my damn show...even though I was like 8 at the time.

royalan said:

Keep ya head up! (What!)
Keep ya head up! (That's right!)
Whenever this life gets tough (you gotta fight)
With my homegirl standin to my left (and my roooight!)
True blue! We tight like glue!

That was my damn show...even though I was like 8 at the time.

^5.

Imm0rt4l

zero_suit said:
S3 and S4 = god tier.
the wire in general is God tier, but yes 3 and 4 are especially good. No show has been able to fill the void since I've finished the wire. Though I hear I should peep both the shield and sons of anarchy. Breaking Bad is fucking dope too.

Slayven said:
Can I be real for a moment?

I hate with the power of a million million suns when GaF has a blacks in America(except for this thread)threads. Some posters make it seem like the Black American is the most sad, pathetic, self defeating creature on earth.
some black americans make it seem like that too...

Londa said:
In that thread SSJ makes me want to wish his account was accidently deleted. But for some reason its perfectly cool on gaf to be racist and also anti-female. Just look at the Mc Donalds thread. Hurt my head.... hurt my head.

What am I doing now? surfing gaf, thinking about the website I'm going to create, avoiding math homework and study, and trying to stop myself from playing video games. Oh and I think I'm going to make some green tea (who here likes green tea?).
i like green tea, but i like regular (black?) tea more. hot, no sugar, no cream.

Parallax said:
Trust me. These threads always turn. Always. They can start well, but race related threads (or at least black related threads) always turn sour.

I know haven't done my part. I read through and trust me guys I read what you're saying. I think to myself ok, ok optimism. We're going to discuss things like adults and leave a little more informed and less biased. Oh...wait...never mind : / I just read one comment in particular in that thread that just made the gears in my head stop. Sad that in 2011 it feels strides are smaller.

Londa

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I know haven't done my part. I read through and trust me guys I read what you're saying. I think to myself ok, ok optimism. We're going to discuss things like adults and leave a little more informed and less biased. Oh...wait...never mind : / I just read one comment in particular in that thread that just made the gears in my head stop. Sad that in 2011 it feels strides are smaller.

What makes me go "huh?" is when someone says something racist and then turns around and tells people that there is no racism and that blacks need to just buck up because no one is holding them back now that its 2011. As if anyone was even giving excuses. Everyone that I know who is black (outside of Measley and SSJ who keep mentioning stereotypes about blacks have been fighting against) that commented on the recent black thread, were trying to find solutions to the issue not cry in a corner going "woe is me".

Teknoman

spindashing said:
Jesus Christ, that theme was so good. I was too young to understand the jokes in the show and everything when it first aired, but every now and then I'd look through the guide and I'd watch Living Single if it was on.

This. Used to watch Martin all the time too, but the jokes were lost on me, aside from laughing at Jerome, that security guy character, Brotha man, and Hustle man. Going back catching reruns...so much funnier than any sitcom today.

EDIT: Also that new Grands biscuit commercial really reminds me of 90s sitcom intros/commercial music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGIN4TXWOQ

MWS Natural said:
A few shockers on this list

http://madamenoire.com/76249/you-family-celebs-who-we-didnt-know-were-black/

They are seriously stretching the 1 drop rule out lol.

I thought it was common knowledge that Jeter, Mariah, and Rashida Jones were black?

well, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that people wouldn't acknowledge it though. But ironically enough though, I bet if most people took a look at Rashida's sister, they would be shocked to find out she was half white herself. ( they're both sexy as fuck though )

Maddness

As I said in the sitcom thread, Living Single was the shit. I would watch that show constantly. I am trying to remember my favorite episode. I remember the one where they went to that cabin out in the woods.

Overton was the shit, I felt bad for the guy, though. Dude was always getting caught up in shit and wasn't sure how to handle it.

I also lusted over Kim Fields and Erika Alexander. I wish it still came on TV. I'd watch the hell out of it.

Top Bottom