• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Londa

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

(post some positive topics).
I have brought up postive topics in here.

I find it funny hwo instead of you trying to discredit my claim you are now holding responcible of there being not positive topics. Smh. What will be your next angle? I am not going to argue with you a moment more. You are desparte to disagree with me.

SmokyDave

Londa said:
I have brought up postive topics in here.

I find it funny how instead of how you tried to discredit my claim you are now holding responcible of there being not positive topics. Smh. What will be your next angle? I am not going to argue with you a moment more. You are desparte to disagree with me.
I meant outside of here, in the general OT. Find some inspiring stories and post them.

Here is a guy from my hometown, he was a slave and then he came to Nottingham and became a successful and well-loved entrepreneur. Uplifting stuff. There's a BBC article on him, just here.

Londa

Banned
Why don't you post it? My whole complaint is trying to keep this thread negative free.

Haven't you noticed that I haven't made a thread?

Funny how you change this to me needing to make positive threads when that wasn't even what my complaint was about.

SmokyDave

Londa said:
Why don't you post it?
Wouldn't be right with my reputation. People might think I was taking the piss (his business was an agency for servants. Perfectly acceptable for those times but you never know what people would read into it).

Edit: Also, there's not enough meat for a thread in the George Africanus story, he was just on my mind so I thought I'd use him to try and cheer you up a little. A positive post, if you will.

My whole complaint is trying to keep this thread negative free.
Never gonna happen, in this or any other thread.

Haven't you noticed that I haven't made a thread?

Funny how you change this to me needing to make positive threads when that wasn't even what my complaint was about.
I've noticed that many, many of your posts are just complaints about other peoples threads. I'm suggesting you act rather than moan, that's all. Post some good threads. Meus did it to counteract Gaborn, and to a degree it worked.

Anyway, that's enough back 'n' forth between me & thee. I don't want to shit up this thread so I'll respectfully bow out. I'll keep an eye out for any news on the Roots Manuva front though, that guy is too good not to share :)

Necromanti said:
This question might not be suited for this board's demographics, but...

...are there any national/cultural dishes of yours that you think everyone should try? Granted, I'm guessing most people here are European or American, but there must be an Africa-GAF or similar, too. If not, then the wisdom of someone in touch with their roots or knowledgeable about certain dishes common in black communities you grew up in (if you did grow up in one) would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, this thread has been pretty good with it, Haiti and Caribbean Gaf represented with some dishes early on in the thread. Not sure what the exact pages are.
Personally, I love me some
Jollof Rice (West African: Every country has their variation on this dish) and grilled chicken, fuck fried chicken and putting a barrier between the meat and your mouth
Fufu and Groundnut or Palmnut soup (Ghana)
Atseke, gravt and freshly grilled Tilapia (Ivory Coast)
Kenkey and fried red snapper with freshly ground pepper (as in jalapenos and not pepper corns)
I don't know where you are located, but these are pretty easy to find in like areas with a significant African Community in the US at least. Its where I go for a taste of home.

magnificent83 said:
Actually, this thread has been pretty good with it, Haiti and Caribbean Gaf represented with some dishes early on in the thread. Not sure what the exact pages are.
Personally, I love me some
Jollof Rice (West African: Every country has their variation on this dish) and grilled chicken, fuck fried chicken and putting a barrier between the meat and your mouth
Fufu and Groundnut or Palmnut soup (Ghana)
Atseke, gravt and freshly grilled Tilapia (Ivory Coast)
Kenkey and fried red snapper with freshly ground pepper (as in jalapenos and not pepper corns)
I don't know where you are located, but these are pretty easy to find in like areas with a significant African Community in the US at least. Its where I go for a taste of home.

Damn son! What did fried chicken do to you?

4 life!
friedchicken.jpg

GotEmRunnin said:
Damn son! What did fried chicken do to you?

4 life!
friedchicken.jpg

Spoken like someone who has never had properly grilled chicken before.
For the record, I like fried chicken (Popeyes, sorry KFC lovers) but its just not as good as grilled chicken. Let the chicken speak for itself, no need for all the extra cholesterol in a vain attempt to make it taste good

Londa said:
Really now, just because he is black that needed to be posted here?

Lol I guess the person who posted it thought: "oh he said he was black, I think this should be put in the black culture thread, I'm sure teh blacks can't find this on their own"
I come from Wikipedia, I like "Wikifying" discussions in general by linking to threads in the relevant mega-thread. For example, if there's a political discussion I find interesting, I'll link to it in Poli-GAF. I'm not singling anyone out here.

Necromanti said:
This question might not be suited for this board's demographics, but...

...are there any national/cultural dishes of yours that you think everyone should try? Granted, I'm guessing most people here are European or American, but there must be an Africa-GAF or similar, too. If not, then the wisdom of someone in touch with their roots or knowledgeable about certain dishes common in black communities you grew up in (if you did grow up in one) would be greatly appreciated.
Funji & Fish (steamed fish and cornmeal funji, sooo good)
1oa7a.jpg

Goat Water (not the best image, there's goat & potatoes in there, i swear!)
oIRvR.jpg

Ox Tail w/ Rice & Peas (and fried plantains, you better believe!)
yeNLq.jpg

Roti (i <3 boneless chicken roti)
Qnl5C.jpg

Jerk Chicken (place in fridge for 12-24 hours after seasoning for best results when grilling)
ljML7.jpg

Saltfish (some people add Egg, some add Ackee)
68R6s.jpg

Black Pudding (aka blood pudding aka black dick)
NE5WS.jpg

Londa

Banned
cooljeanius said:
I come from Wikipedia, I like "Wikifying" discussions in general by linking to threads in the relevant mega-thread. For example, if there's a political discussion I find interesting, I'll link to it in Poli-GAF. I'm not singling anyone out here.
An over sensitive person who happens to be black and incorrectly links his heritage to why he is senitive to a silly meme does not fall under black culture or any culture for that matter.

SoilBreak

Banned
A little bit old but...

Idris Elba: I'd consider playing James Bond

"It's a rumor," he said on "Morning Edition." "It's a very old rumor. My dad and I were talking about this the other day. I would do it, but I don't want to be called the first black James Bond. Do you understand what I 'm saying? Sean Connery wasn't the Scottish James Bond and Daniel Craig wasn't the blue-eyed James Bond. So if I played him, I don't want to be called the black James Bond."

As Elba goes on to explain, he didn't come to the States "to play black roles. I just came to play roles."

For example, his character on "The Wire," Stringer Bell, "was a smart drug dealer, in my opinion. He's black, but that's not the point. The point is, this is a man caught between two worlds. That complex sort of balance that he's in is what made the drama."

The same can be said of detective John Luther, the character he plays on BBC America's "Luther," which launches its second season tonight. "Luther has this capability to think how his perpetrators are thinking, and what they may or may not do next. And I think Luther lives quite close to rage himself," the actor says of his character, which earned him an Emmy nod.

"The difference between someone with a conscience and someone without is that one person will say, 'You know what? No, I'm not going to go over to that person and smash them in the face.' But the other person is quite close to that decision without any remorse and just will do it. And I think Luther is close to that mark all the time," he explains.

Both of those roles are emblematic of the work Elba longs for, with Nelson Mandela being another multifaceted figure he's eager to portray.

But, Elba continues, "if Sony decided to call me and said hey, we wanted to do [James Bond], I'd definitely consider it."

Londa said:
An over sensitive person who happens to be black and incorrectly links his heritage to why he is senitive to a silly meme does not fall under black culture or any culture for that matter.
Wouldn't a discussion of why his linking to his heritage is incorrect be relevant to culture? I always thought heritage and culture were connected...

magnificent83 said:
Spoken like someone who has never had properly grilled chicken before.
For the record, I like fried chicken (Popeyes, sorry KFC lovers) but its just not as good as grilled chicken. Let the chicken speak for itself, no need for all the extra cholesterol in a vain attempt to make it taste good

I've had grilled. Properly grilled? Don't really know. Honestly I'm more of a rotisserie man myself. I do enjoy some quality fried though. Unfortunately I'm from the south. The Deep, Filthy, Nasty, Dirty South and fried chicken is the most common chicken here. Not the healthiest but definitely the most common.

Londa

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Wouldn't a discussion of why his linking to his heritage is incorrect be relevant to culture? I always thought heritage and culture were connected...
There is no need for a discussion when he is incorrect.

eternaLightness said:
Some of that looks really good Faceless. I'd pass on the black penis though.

The ladies don't, though. CHEA

Also, Haitian food in this bitch:

Griot.jpg

Griot - fried/braised pork shoulder. Tender, juicy, crispy, delicious. It's best served with rice and beans...or fried plantain chips...or spicy pickled veggies (pikliz)...or, well...everything all the time. If you're legit Haitian, you could eat this shit every day until the casket closed.

BlackRice.jpg

Djon-djon rice - a delicious black mushroom rice. Some people mix peas into it. Others add cashews, or raisins, or bits of shrimp or something. Doesn't matter - just eat it. OMG.

malanga-acra-small.jpg

Accra - a fritter made with root vegetables. Hot and crispy - don't be a bitch and ask for something to dip it in. Real gangsters don't dip accra. Try to get it as fresh as possible.

http://www.haitixchange.com/index.php/hx/Articles/soup-joumou-how-to-make-it-and-why-we-eat-it/

Soup Joumou - a New Year's soup. Linking an image isn't good enough. I want you to understand what it is and why it's important. Also, it's delicious as fuck. Also, you will probably be able to destroy buildings after eating it, it's so hearty.

Londa

Banned
captmcblack said:

Griot.jpg

Griot - fried/braised pork shoulder. Tender, juicy, crispy, delicious. It's best served with rice and beans...or fried plantain chips...or spicy pickled veggies (pikliz)...or, well...everything all the time. If you're legit Haitian, you could eat this shit every day until the casket closed.

BlackRice.jpg

Djon-djon rice - a delicious black mushroom rice. Some people mix peas into it. Others add cashews, or raisins, or bits of shrimp or something. Doesn't matter - just eat it. OMG.

malanga-acra-small.jpg

Accra - a fritter made with root vegetables. Hot and crispy - don't be a bitch and ask for something to dip it in. Real gangsters don't dip accra. Try to get it as fresh as possible.

http://www.haitixchange.com/index.php/hx/Articles/soup-joumou-how-to-make-it-and-why-we-eat-it/

Soup Joumou - a New Year's soup. Linking an image isn't good enough. I want you to understand what it is and why it's important. Also, it's delicious as fuck. Also, you will probably be able to destroy buildings after eating it, it's so hearty.

that second dish looks really.... not my type of food.

Black Pudding (aka blood pudding aka black dick)

gross :(

captmcblack said:
Delicious Food
Everything there looks really good. My ex was from Antigua so she got me into a lot of their foods. Not sure what country it's from but my friends wife makes Pepper Pot for breakfast during the holidays with fresh bread and it's melt in your mouth delicious. I'm not a huge fan of Aki and Sawfish but Pepper Pot is food of the Caribbean Gods.

captmcblack said:

Griot.jpg

BlackRice.jpg

malanga-acra-small.jpg

Ok, since I see the Yankee hat on the avatar, any spots in NYC i can go to get this food, looks amazing and want to try it all

captmcblack said:

http://brooklynexposed.com/images/uploads/main/Griot.jpg[img]

Griot - fried/braised pork shoulder. Tender, juicy, crispy, delicious. It's best served with rice and beans...or fried plantain chips...or spicy pickled veggies ([i]pikliz[/i])...or, well...everything all the time. If you're legit Haitian, you could eat this shit every day until the casket closed.

[img]http://brooklynexposed.com/images/uploads/main/BlackRice.jpg[img]

[img]http://wlrnunderthesun.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/malanga-acra-small.jpg[img]

[url="http://www.haitixchange.com/index.php/hx/Articles/soup-joumou-how-to-make-it-and-why-we-eat-it/"]http://www.haitixchange.com/index.ph...why-we-eat-it/[/url]

Soup Joumou - a New Year's soup. Linking an image isn't good enough. I want you to understand what it is and why it's important. Also, it's delicious as fuck. Also, you will probably be able to destroy buildings after eating it, it's so hearty.[/quote]
As a Haitian, I can safely say that I started to salivate just now.

Shanadeus

Banned
captmcblack said:

BlackRice.jpg

malanga-acra-small.jpg

And it's all vegetarian!
Delicious stuff, I agree.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey Black GAF. Advice plz. My wife is editing a pretty old travel guide that occasionally gives special advice to black Americans traveling abroad, telling them simple but obvious things like - you might get stared at, people might think you're from sub Saharan Africa, etc. the advice is present from the Eighties edition and also uses the expression, 'people of color' rather than black, or African American.

A) do you think the advice is antiquated and or patronizing
B) is the expression 'people of color' in the same camp.

she did not think my suggestion that African American travelers should be called 'Afronauts' was appropriate. :-(

One other thing to consider - most of the people reading this particular book, black, white, Asian, et al, are going to be the older, granola/Crocs traveler.

Onemic

OuterWorldVoice said:
Hey Black GAF. Advice plz. My wife is editing a pretty old travel guide that occasionally gives special advice to black Americans traveling abroad, telling them simple but obvious things like - you might get stared at, people might think you're from sub Saharan Africa, etc. the advice is present from the Eighties edition and also uses the expression, 'people of color' rather than black, or African American.

A) do you think the advice is antiquated and or patronizing
B) is the expression 'people of color' in the same camp.

she did not think my suggestion that African American travelers should be called 'Afronauts' was appropriate. :-(

One other thing to consider - most of the people reading this particular book, black, white, Asian, et al, are going to be the older, granola/Crocs traveler.

Although it is an old term I don't see anything wrong with it really. If you want to be on the safe side I guess use African American or black

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
onemic said:
Although it is an old term I don't see anything wrong with it really. If you want to be on the safe side I guess use African American or black

Thanks! What do you think about cutting or retaining the advice itself? It's still true in some regions of Europe, but not major cities.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Thanks! What do you think about cutting or retaining the advice itself? It's still true in some regions of Europe, but not major cities.
I think things are only obvious after they've actually been stated, so as long as the advice isn't useless, leave it in.

So i just watched the video of the judge whooping his daughter, and honestly, it doesn't move me one way or another. Maybe is seems worse because he was whooping a girl? Most of you guys got it growing up? I will not spank my kids, but I don't look down on people who do unless its flat out beatings/abuse. Thoughts?

I never had a serious whooping when I was younger. Can honestly say I never really needed one. There's a difference between discipline and straight abuse and I agree, he did go too far.

As for whether or not I'll spank my kids I honestly couldn't say. Obviously I wouldn't beat the crap out of my kid but I'd still want to show them some sort of discipline. I hate seeing parents who just let their kids run over them. I'll be damned if I let that happen lol.

Big Baybee said:
So i just watched the video of the judge whooping his daughter, and honestly, it doesn't move me one way or another. Maybe is seems worse because he was whooping a girl? Most of you guys got it growing up? I will not spank my kids, but I don't look down on people who do unless its flat out beatings/abuse. Thoughts?

Lol, I know its wrong but the whole time I was watching the video, I was cracking up. When he goes back in and then says, "I didn't get enough" that's when I think he went over the line between corporal punishment and abuse. As a connoisseur of beatings as a kid, I thought the girl did make some rookie mistakes with her beating, first off, don't fight or speak back, it prolongs the beating. Watching others squealing and squirming while being beat and prolonging the punishment at school and at home quickly taught you that when its your turn, you take it and you keep quiet. Second, do whatever the man with the belt is saying, less likely to keep on going if he thinks he has won.
In no way do I condone what the judge did, but if by 16, she had not figured her dad out, then I just don't know

As a kid at home, it was an arms race when it came to spanking. My dad on one side and me and my little brother on the other. We would get up to all sorts of stupid shit, then he would come at us, first with wooden spoons, we soon laughed that off, then belts, laughed off too, rattan canes (actual industry in Accra, any not used for canes go into making chairs, tables and other stuff) came along, took a while, but it didn't have an impact. So then he came up with this
thoppu.jpg
and other variants of it. Needless to say, I stopped that shit quickly. After 30 minutes, I was ready to swear off acting dumb, or well, at least getting caught.

School was a whole different beast, teachers had reps and legends had been passed down from the older kids, so we always knew who not to cross or whose class we could go to.
So yeah, I got it beat growing up, and I hated my dad until I grew up and realized it was out of love, i won't be above a spanking or two when I have kids, but I will not resort to what I got as a kid to be an example.

That said, anyone who did what the judge did and came back because he didn't get enough has issues and that I can't condone.

Gaf is so fucked up when it comes to shit like that. There is no middle ground on this forum. Its always to the extreme. Oh your parents spanked you? They are fucking pieces of shit and you are pathetic for letting them do it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Big Baybee said:
Gaf is so fucked up when it comes to shit like that. There is no middle ground on this forum. Its always to the extreme. Oh your parents spanked you? They are fucking pieces of shit and you are pathetic for letting them do it.

yup. the gaf hivemind is a fucking monster. thats why when it rears its ugly head, i stay away

aktham

Big Baybee said:

This is a forum mainly made up of ultra liberal, atheist/agnostic geeky hipsters. What else do you expect?

aktham said:
This is a forum mainly made up of ultra liberal, atheist/agnostic geeky hipsters. What else do you expect?
I really don't know. I'm pretty liberal myself, and that thread just makes me shake my head. I honestly can't think of anyone I know who hasn't been spanked, White, Black, Vietnamese, or other. Maybe people get the belt more in the south? I don't know.

Top Bottom