• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kaizer said:
I'll never understand how my mom fell for my dad, dude was rocking a FLATOP! He seriously looked like Gerald from "Hey Arnold!". The hairstyles of the 80s - crazy.
What? Gerald was a chick magnet. What about that time he scoped that 6th grade chick?

"Makes More money than you
Still expects you to pay for everything"

"Men who still think that women must follow traditional gender roles are misguided, times have changed

Still expects you to follow all traditional male gender roles"

.....This man....
...I feel his pain...

I shouldn't laugh but fuck it, it's the internet so who cares. Personally all the "team light skinned" and Chris Brown stuff hit home. The light skinned bullshit has pissed me off for years. As a dark brotha I've never really felt threatened or bad about my skin: we've always been a staple of handsomeness. Now Idris Elba is representing for us across the globe to great effect. So yea, I feel good. And while there certainly are male members of "team light skinned" the majority are female.

I feel bad for darker women. Nearly all entertainment/pop culture is dominated by light skinned black women, and it's not hard to come across overt ridicule of dark skinned women. Every rap video has light skinned chicks, and multiple rappers are on record saying light is best (Lil Wayne especially). Personally I like all women. I know a lot of people from Nigeria, and it's amazing how beautiful the women are. Dark skinned with very clear complexions, which is something many dark skinned women in the US don't seem to have (thanks to acne and other things).

One time I made a dark girl cry by giving her a compliment. We were waiting for a class to start, only two people in the room. I forgot exactly what she said, but it boiled down to "I hate having to put so much make up on, if I was lighter it wouldn't be a hassle." I said something corny like "meh, I think you look nice the way you are." She teared up, said thank you, and ran out the class (to the restroom I guess). After that she was always talking to me and we're friends to this day.

SonnyBoy

I'm a light skinned brotha and I think dark/brown skin is just amazing. Lightskinned chicks are cool but too many think they're cute simply cus of their complexion. There's a ton of ugly light chicks running around. lmao

Parallax

SonnyBoy said:
I'm a light skinned brotha and I think dark/brown skin is just amazing. Lightskinned chicks are cool but too many think they're cute simply cus of their complexion. There's a ton of ugly light chicks running around. lmao
Too true. And that queen shit act gets old quick. Then again, a bunch of light skinned dudes carry themselves in the same way

PhoenixDark said:

Yeah, the color bias thing is really sad. And darker-skinned females seem to get suffer the brunt of it imo. (SN: Why anyone would dance and repeat lyrics like "I bet that bitch look better red" is baffling to me. Although I know LW is popular so I'll just leave it be.) I imagine that some of the dating and professional oppurtunities I've been afforded might not have been available if I were dark-skinned. We gotta do better.

RedSwirl

cooljeanius said:
I know a bunch of girls who fit the "Proud to be black, chemically straightens hair" one

More like literally every Black woman I know. I don't even have a problem with afro hair on women. Is that wrong?

SoilBreak

Banned
tumblr_lukabue8vp1r5eey6o1_400.jpg

Its kinda sad that darkskinned women have to go that extra mile. Like you might see a yellowbone hair a mess, no makeup, clothes looking like good lawd, and brothers will say she look good. Take a dark women in the same situation and brothers will say "Man that ho look stank".

RedSwirl

So now we gonna start talking about how black people (women specifically) are still chained to Eurocentric ideas of beauty? Over the last few years that's one thing that's bugged me to no end.

I have no problem with women straitening their hair or whatever, although imo I love natural locks. The only thing I can't get behind is weaves, but then again the next minute I'm hypocritical because I love Beyonce.

hi londa

RedSwirl said:
So now we gonna start talking about how black people (women specifically) are still chained to Eurocentric ideas of beauty? Over the last few years that's one thing that's bugged me to no end.

In the Haitian culture, from what I've seen until today from growing up it boggles my mind. I'm talking the whole trying to lighten the skin thing and hair. I've always been bothered by when I would hear my mom & grandma talking about how such & such looked white & would be ok(socially). As a kid it never made sense, as an adult it doesn't sit right with me.

Parallax said:
I find a bunch to be true, but I wish I didn't have to go to that site to read them. Pure saltiness on both sides.

I'm at work so no tumblr for me. Any way you could import some of those bad boys for me and others?

Yes, I can do two things at once.

SonnyBoy

PhoenixDark said:
I have no problem with women straitening their hair or whatever, although imo I love natural locks. The only thing I can't get behind is weaves, but then again the next minute I'm hypocritical because I love Beyonce.

hi londa

I have no problem with any of it when a woman is doing it for her own reasons.

My gf has recently gone natural and looks great. She looked great when she had a perm. Maybe once or twice a year, she might get a weave, it looks good.

eternaLightness said:
I don't like the long skinny braids that are sometimes different colors.

I actually like it...a lot. For some reason I won't be doing anything of notice at work. Girl walks in with that, it's like my radar goes off. I notice her immediately, I guess that whole colors thing attracts is true ahaha.

Parallax

MWS Natural said:
Pics or it didn't happen.

next thing you know, people will be calling for bans for not posting proof of eating oxtails. (which i can really go for right now....)

Parallax

MWS Natural said:
*drools* Oxtail stew is my favorite Caribbean meal.

really? i didnt know oxtails had carribean roots. i didnt like them as a kid,(just like salmon croquettes) but as i got older, just the mention of them makes me hungry

Parallax said:
really? i didnt know oxtails had carribean roots. i didnt like them as a kid,(just like salmon croquettes) but as i got older, just the mention of them makes me hungry
There are southern oxtails that are ok but carribenan oxtail stew is AMAZING.
The Faceless Master said:
oh man, people can get in fights over a plate of Oxtail with Rice & Peas

that stuff is serious business
YES. Oxtail stew with rice & peas and cabbage & carrots.
coldvein said:
people eat the tails off every animal there is.
But the tail of the Ox is especially delicious.

Urban Scholar said:
Me personally? Not so much. I'm down for chicken feet though.
You must have never had good oxtail, chicken feet shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence! They are all fat and not a fraction of the flavor.

Top Bottom