• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Where would the dividing line even be? Paper bag nonsense?

For many, yea. I also see fierce debates over how dark someone is. Like, "he darker than him" as if there's some important difference between Dwayne Wade and Idris Elba's skin tones.

It's just a stupid ideology that seems to have become more vocal with the social media explosion.

For many, yea. I also see fierce debates over how dark someone is. Like, "he darker than him" as if there's some important difference between Dwayne Wade and Idris Elba's skin tones.

It's just a stupid ideology that seems to have become more vocal with the social media explosion.

That's terrible. I do feel bad for ever saying "black as Wesley" back in the day though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's never too late to get back to barbershop talk. We just need a new subject to reminisce on. Here's one:

the state of black comedy, or the superiority of classic black comedy.

Lately I've been looking over the landscape of current and up-and-coming comedians and I can't help but be EXTREMELY disappointed. Sure guys like Kevin Hart are funny in doses, but for some reason, black comedians (maybe comedians in general) don't have the staying power or quality they used to have.

I've watched plenty of Martin's standup series and others and the talent seems to mostly just rely on ever-increasing amounts of vulgarity and nastiness. Whereas, just one watching of Harlem Nights is enough to remind me that comedy used to be some of that, but so much more. Consider the caliber of comedy we used to get from our best:

Eddie Murphy

Martin Lawernce (90s Martin, that is)

Bill Cosby

Dave Chappelle

Steve Harvey

Sinbad

Eddie Griffin

Red Fox

Jamie Foxx

Robin Harris

Bernie Mac

Chris Tucker

So who's left to carry this mantle, GAF? Is Kevin Hart all we have anymore? (Yes, I left Katt out because he seems to be fading into obscurity)

:-(

im glad you put robin harris up there. such a short comedy life span, and he was hilarious. its a shame he isnt more popular than he actually is...

as for current comedians, i cant stand katt williams. he reminds me of those little guys on the corner who always talk shit because they have their boys behind them in case someone jumps at them. and looking at some of his recent acts, he seems to be really portraying that act now..

im glad you put robin harris up there. such a short comedy life span, and he was hilarious. its a shame he isnt more popular than he actually is...

as for current comedians, i cant stand katt williams. he reminds me of those little guys on the corner who always talk shit because they have their boys behind them in case someone jumps at them. and looking at some of his recent acts, he seems to be really portraying that act now..

+1

and yes, I have that Robin Harris standup on cassette tape. I got it while I was in Jr. High and thought it was absolutely amazing. People really need to hear the whole thing, start to finish.

Yo Blackgaf, enjoy y'all Thanksgiving. Oh no! Is that chitlins I see!!?? :(

family,

just say no to chitlins.

yeah. he had a stroke a few weeks ago though. saw a rumor that he has something called Locked In Syndrome.

Kevin Hart is the funniest dude out right now tho

How you seen that ford explorer commercial he did? Fucking embarrassing.

He's also a terrible comic, don't make any excuses for good comedy.

Not going to lie. I had a stop snitching t-shirt in high school lol

One of the founding fathers like myself, Dreams, and Himuro - back when this place was still the Barbershop

Shame that I was not mentioned here, especially since the thread was partly my idea..

yeah. he had a stroke a few weeks ago though. saw a rumor that he has something called Locked In Syndrome.

Kevin Hart is the funniest dude out right now tho
He's a friend of mine's brother so I guess I have to support him.

Parallax

Yo Blackgaf, enjoy y'all Thanksgiving. Oh no! Is that chitlins I see!!?? :(

Chitlins are mine. Hands off.

And we REALLY miss Bernie Mac. :(

you can keep those nasty things to yourself. so damn disgusting. i am however looking forward to some pecan pie, but sadly, no fried turkey this year....

Dreams-Visions said:
+1

and yes, I have that Robin Harris standup on cassette tape. I got it while I was in Jr. High and thought it was absolutely amazing. People really need to hear the whole thing, start to finish.

his hbo comedy special was amazing as well. such a shame.

family,

just say no to chitlins.

exactly.

Nope! Although I assumed that people already have discussed this.
I used to be ashamed about my weakness to white wimmenz, but now I've come to accept it.

haha. i still feel a little guilty about it, especially when i get so massively turned on by barbie doll blondes and brunettes. I dont think it's entirely unnatural,white women are more numerous than women of minority groups.

Door2Dawn

Banned
It's just not Thanksgiving without chitlins. They smell quite good after you cook them.

Chitlins smothered in hot sawce. Bah Gawd.

BuenoExcelentesignature.jpg

zero_suit

So my fellow black culturals, how do you all feel about Islam?
I've noticed that a number of black americans are drawn to Islam, often in some attempt to "re-discover" themselves (rather than looking at what religions their ancestors had) and it's just an odd phenomena to me.

I'm indifferent to it.

I've noticed that a number of black americans are drawn to Islam, often in some attempt to "re-discover" themselves (rather than looking at what religions their ancestors had) and it's just an odd phenomena to me.

I'm ok with it. My cousin actually converted quite awhile ago so I kinda grew up seeing it. And one of my best friends was born into Islam so its nothing surprising.

I'm fine with it also. One of my brothers friend's is Islamic and a few other of his friends converted some years ago and it was cool. One of them them who converted was Christian before. From what I can tell, a lot of their views seem to be somewhat similar to Christianity. I never understood why some people who convert grow their beards out. Wonder what it symbolizes.

IceCold

I'm fine with it also. One of my brothers friend's is Islamic and a few other of his friends converted some years ago and it was cool. One of them them who converted was Christian before. From what I can tell, a lot of their views seem to be somewhat similar to Christianity. I never understood why some people who convert grow their beards out. Wonder what it symbolizes.

Has either something to do with trying to emulate Mohammad or the Qu'ran stating it. I'm pretty sure (Orthodox) Jews grow their beards for a similar reason.

RedSwirl

Not really bothered by it. I was surprised at how many black Muslims I met at my college but got used to it. I don't personally know any myself though.

I think being drawn to it is #1: another way of disconnecting themselves from "white" society, and #2: a pretty big chunk of Africa has been Muslim for centuries. Actually, about a third of blacks who fought in the Revolutionary War were Muslim. Just sayin'.

same as any other religion.

meh.

Undubbed

I could of sworn I posted in this topic at some point a long time ago, yet I can't find the post. Must of been some other black thread.

searching...........can't find it. blah I don't feel like posting a biography again.

Parallax

I could of sworn I posted in this topic at some point a long time ago, yet I can't find the post. Must of been some other black thread.

searching...........can't find it. blah I don't feel like posting a biography again.
You must have posted in the barbershop. That thread is no longer with us.

Kreed

No issues with it unless you throw "The Nation of" in front of it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
First Thanksgiving away from home for me. I'm gonna miss the food more than anything else. The drama though? lolhellnaw

Kaizer

Banned
Happy Thanksgiving Black-GAF, will be chowing down on some turkey, stuffing, cranberry saurce, sweet potatoes, mac n cheese & more with the family pretty soon!

Top Bottom