• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
my thanksgivings are rather informal. since the majority of it is eating and blacking out or joking around, it would be a bit of a waste to dress up.

My family is so jacked that I don't really know whats normal, whats black, or whats unique to my situation. I have to alternate from the golden boy, the guilt sink, and the preacher's son on the fly. I spend more time playing a part and being Dr. Leroy than anything else.

that sounds fucking horrible man. why do you even bother?

My family is so jacked that I don't really know whats normal, whats black, or whats unique to my situation. I have to alternate from the golden boy, the guilt sink, and the preacher's son on the fly.

Ugh. So every Thanksgiving is just a big reminder of familial drama for you?

Are our Thanksgivings particularly informal? Every year our family (or one of the three, I kinda rotate between my mom's side, my dad's side, and my stepmom's) does all the pleasant "how r u!? :D" stuff until the majority of the people show up, then we all get together and let whoever say a prayer, then its every man for himself when it comes to getting your own food and seat... Even if there were a table big enough, I don't think we'd all sit at it. We just kinda eat and move.

Is that normal?

Like Devo said, it's all about what's normal to you. For the record though, this right here sounds like what my family (with the exception of my grandma on my father's side) does. We're not religious at all, so once the food is ready and set on the table, anything goes. Sometimes, depending on how many people are there, we'll stay at the table. Other times we'll just sit where we want and chat with whoever.

I can't really imagine Thanksgiving any other way, to be perfectly honest.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ugh. So every Thanksgiving is just a big reminder of familial drama for you?
that sounds fucking horrible man. why do you even bother?
Obligation, guilt, and good food. I thought thats why everyone took part in Thanksgiving.

My cousins were the best part of being with my family, but we've all grown up pretty different and the fun in that is long gone. One of my cousins, "Sharon", used to gorgeous but her mom's crack addiction and love for abusive boyfriends just destroyed her inside and out. "Sharon" is still cool with me, but she's a viper to anyone else and we all know how her story is going to end. Another cousin, "Chris" could've been playing D1 ball - we've both got similar dad issues but he reacted to it a lot stronger than I ever did. Huge anger problems. Still cool with me when he isn't talking massive shit. "Ashley", used to be like my little sister until we ended up in the same high school together and I realized that she liked to sling her vagina around campus in her spare time. I got in a fight with her boyfriend one time after he hit her, and as I'm dragging dude out past a curb she comes out the house buttnaked screaming "Don't hit him - I LOVE HIM!".

Plenty more fucked up stories, but basically Thanksgiving feels like work now. I'm especially offbeat right now because its my first Thanksgiving away from home and I got three phone calls. Thats all. I'm pretty sure one was by accident too.

Yasae

Banned
This girl I know thinks pumpkin pie is better than sweet potato pie. And macaroni and cheese is better not baked. She also doesn't know what collard greens or yams are.

shake-head.gif

I think it has to do with this girl not being black. but I won't pull the race card.
That would be completely wrong, so yeah....... Don't pull the card.

I also can't grow a beard. It's scraggly and splotchy. That's about it. Would never let the fucker grow out, sheesus christ.

Obligation, guilt, and good food. I thought thats why everyone took part in Thanksgiving.

My cousins were the best part of being with my family, but we've all grown up pretty different and the fun in that is long gone. One of my cousins, "Sharon", used to gorgeous but her mom's crack addiction and love for abusive boyfriends just destroyed her inside and out. "Sharon" is still cool with me, but she's a viper to anyone else and we all know how her story is going to end. Another cousin, "Chris" could've been playing D1 ball - we've both got similar dad issues but he reacted to it a lot stronger than I ever did. Huge anger problems. Still cool with me when he isn't talking massive shit. "Ashley", used to be like my little sister until we ended up in the same high school together and I realized that she liked to sling her vagina around campus in her spare time. I got in a fight with her boyfriend one time after he hit her, and as I'm dragging dude out past a curb she comes out the house buttnaked screaming "Don't hit him - I LOVE HIM!".

Plenty more fucked up stories, but basically Thanksgiving feels like work now. I'm especially offbeat right now because its my first Thanksgiving away from home and I got three phone calls. Thats all. I'm pretty sure one was by accident too.

Sounds awful but I couldn't help laughing at the bolded, if you got more tales like that, please share.

Yasae

Banned

Oh dear. The blackness is strong with you indeed.

Parallax

dude, i know exactly where youre coming from with that shit. i played white knight and got burned in a similar fashion, so i just separated myself from that person.

but damn man. i know you mentioned the shit you go through. but i didnt know it was that bad.

DY_nasty

dude, i know exactly where youre coming from with that shit. i played white knight and got burned in a similar fashion, so i just separated myself from that person.

but damn man. i know you mentioned the shit you go through. but i didnt know it was that bad.

lol, this is all on my mom's side. the "good" side. Everything with my dad and stepmom is all kinds of fucked up. The worst kind of way too. The awkward silence/elephant in the room type shit. I can deal with open drama pretty good now. I can't stand the quiet "oh dear, look who just showed up" drama.

Parallax

lol, this is all on my mom's side. the "good" side. Everything with my dad and stepmom is all kinds of fucked up. The worst kind of way too. The awkward silence/elephant in the room type shit. I can deal with open drama pretty good now. I can't stand the quiet "oh dear, look who just showed up" drama.

damn, thats the good side? wow man.

DY_nasty

damn, thats the good side? wow man.

Yeah, with them I don't have to put on as much of an act. I can just lean back, talk my shit, hug some old ladies, and put up with other people's guilt over my mom dying. I can deal with that in doses.

My dad? Everyone knows my dad is an obsessive, power hungry, control freak. He's a cool guy, until you get to know him. He's one of those that will casually tell a joke at your expense in front of a crowd of strangers to establish himself. Its a really awkward day any time I talk to him because I can't stand him, but he knows me better than anyone and even though he's never been around when it counted, he's taught me a lot (the hard way if nothing else). He tries, but he doesn't even realize the kind of asshole he is deep down and there's nothing anyone can tell him at this point. I'm the last person to call him on his shit, to his face, and we've had more than one falling out because of it.

So when I show up, everyone kind of looks at me, then looks at him, and they all wonder if this will be the year that we start brawling right on top of the dining room table. Most of the time we're cool, but they are right... its bound to happen.

And my stepmom? She's a success story, came out of old country dirt and now heads up an international med supply distribution company and she's doing great - we've just never been able to get along on a deep, deep level. It all happened when I was kind of thrown into a situation where I was forced to stay with my dad and her when I was around 14 - I ruined her little fairy tale household or something. I wasn't bad or anything, I was just 'the baggage' and I could feel it and she sucked at hiding it. Every time I see her family she tries to keep the act up but again, its bullshit.

I'd much rather go to a friend's for Thanksgiving. I've always been that adopted kid from down the street. I know my family is pretty jacked, but I'm not sure how jacked. I've got too many stories to tell and I'm only 24.

I have to shave twice everyday :p
Damn. My friend, who also happens to be black, does the same thing. He uses a safety razor and likes the close shave, but if he ends up getting lazy and forgetting to shave this often his face is riddled with bumps.

I shave twice a week with an electric shaver. Sure it isn't as smooth as a normal razor, but at least I don't have razor bump issues.

Tokubetsu

I have to shave every two or so days. Can't really grow a beard (it's patchy) but the stache and soul patch reach full effect in like 2 weeks without shaving.

DY_nasty

I can't shave with anything but an electric razor. I used a blade when I first joined up and my face hasn't been the same since.

I only ever "shave" when my barber does it for me. Otherwise, I trim my beard/mustache as necessary.

I hate shaving, though...I worked so hard to get a real beard like my dad. Fuck getting rid of that work!

zero_suit

oh lol. I've been hearing you guys talk about it since before I was a member. Don't worry, i'll do my part.

EDIT: I've been meaning to ask you for a while but you're the same Dreams-Visions way back from the System Wars days right?

From Gamespot? I think that's him. System Wars....good times.

FreeMufasa

From Gamespot? I think that's him. System Wars....good times.

haha yep. There was also Blackbond, Jacobboy, some dude that was married to a chinese woman and a bunch of other guys. The place died for me after a few of these guys left.

So....uh.....what we gonna do about WSHH? We need some hackers to put that site out of it's misery.

Meh, I think it's alright. At this point, I think if it goes down there'll another site quickly to replace it. People have found the formula and need to put their fuckery somewhere.

My facial hair is bout the same as that on my head, it's a bitch to shave. So I do it as little as possible: only when going out. Though I guess that will all have to change once I get out of school.

After school I think I'll pay someone to shave me, and hold them liable if I bump up.

Or lack of exposure. What race is she? White people deal with sweet potatoes and yams too. So if she doesn't know, I think she's just an idiot who doesn't pay attention.

I've never seen a white person make a sweet potato pie lol

So....uh.....what we gonna do about WSHH? We need some hackers to put that site out of it's misery.
Launch a copycat white website with videos of fratboy and trailer park fights. Would need a catchy name though...

I'd much rather go to a friend's for Thanksgiving. I've always been that adopted kid from down the street. I know my family is pretty jacked, but I'm not sure how jacked. I've got too many stories to tell and I'm only 24.
I've dealt with similar family insanity (especially the dad issues eehh), and I started doing the 'adopted friend' thing when I was 19-ish. Eventually cut ties altogether when I was about your age. Hardest thing I've ever done but I am much better for it.

Top Bottom