• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Here you go.

i agree with Amir0x

I never knew a thread like that ever existed on Gaf. I'd like to see something similar to that quite honestly. A thread where people can admit anything. I'd love to how many people would admit that their racist, homophobic, etc.

most racist people don't see themselves as racist though, they believe they have a purely logical non-racist explanation for their beliefs.

Measley

Income gaps widen for inner-city poor, rural South as affluent blacks leave industrial cities

Affluent black Americans who are leaving industrial cities for the suburbs and the South are shifting traditional lines between rich and poor, according to new census data. Their migration is widening the income gap between whites and the inner-city blacks who remain behind, while making blacks less monolithic as a group and subject to greater income disparities.

“Reverse migration is changing the South and its race relations,” said Roderick Harrison, a Howard University sociologist and former chief of racial statistics at the Census Bureau.

He said a rising black middle class is promoting a growing belief among some black conservatives that problems of the disadvantaged are now rooted more in character or cultural problems, rather than race. But Harrison said most black Americans maintain a strong racial identity, focused on redressing perceived lack of opportunities, in part because many of them maintain close ties to siblings or other blacks who are less successful.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...trial-cities/2011/12/08/gIQAnZa8dO_story.html

It was only a matter of time. There's a stark difference in attitude between the black people in college, and the black people who can't get out of the criminal justice system or government assistance.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't think that line of thinking or speech is limited to black people. Maybe I'm just not following what exactly it is you're shooting for though. Can you elaborate a little? I just want to make sure were talking about the same thing before I go off my mark.

DY_nasty

No, it's definitely not limited to just black people, but I do find homophobia prevalent amongst my black friends/mainstream black media... I realize this is limited scope and I don't want to paint all african-americans as guilty of this, but it is something that strikes me as hypocritical.

Can you offer any insight? Once again, I realize I may be ignorant about this topic and I do not wish to offend anyone.
Homophobia is an issue, yeah, but I'm not sure where the gay/black thing is coming from. At least that's what I'm drawing from it - could be off, as I said.

Ignorance is ignorance though. Doesn't matter what color it is.

I doubt that, even if enabled, they would admit it in a thread.

People would remember and it would come back to bite them in the ass later.

Indeed, I doubt anyone would explicitly say they were racist, sexist etc. But you give a bigot enough time and rope slack to hang himself and watch if they don't eventually. They get relax due to the freedom, ease up on their inner-censor and then you get to see what's really swishing around in their small heads.

Income gaps widen for inner-city poor, rural South as affluent blacks leave industrial cities

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...trial-cities/2011/12/08/gIQAnZa8dO_story.html

It was only a matter of time. There's a stark difference in attitude between the black people in college, and the black people who can't get out of the criminal justice system or government assistance.

Yeah, this has been going on for awhile and I don't blame people for moving to a better neighborhood one bit. Your kids don't have to grow up in proverty-stricken neighborhoods for you to teach them the values of humility and hard-work.

SN

From the article:

Lamothe said he was elated when Barack Obama became the first black president, and things like universal health care appeal to him and his wife. But he dislikes some of Obama’s recent statements about the wealthy.

“It’s like now I’m the enemy,” said Lamothe, who describes himself as a social liberal and fiscal conservative.

“I’m OK with saying those who have more have a responsibility to help out those who need a hand. If I got to pay a little more in taxes I may not like it, but I’ll grin and bear it. What I don’t like it is, ‘They’re getting over and not paying their fair share.’”

“Somehow me working hard and being successful, I’ve gotten over? I got over because I worked hard for it.”

Stuff like this really destroys racists' arguments imo. How can you say we're different when clearly, blacks can play the rich, oblivous dumbass just as good as anyone else.

FreeMufasa

I have a question for black-culture-age

this has to be framed rather delicately, it is not my intention to "make a point" but rather to gain some understanding.

From what I've seen in mainstream black culture and in my own anecdotal evidence, african americans regularly use the word "faggot" or homophobic remarks as slander. How can this be justified when the same people are outraged by other race/ethnicities' use of "nigger" as slander?

I've been directed to the roots of the matter, i.e. the black culture finding strength in southern Christianity that demonizes homosexuality, but I don't see how these two points can be reconciled.

I don't imagine the NeoGAF black populace is particularly guilty of this, but perhaps your own anecdotage can further my own understanding.

Sincerely,

A Jewish person.

This reminds me of something. Way back, i've always wondered why gansta rappers and people on wshh say stuff like "suck my dick" "I'll fuck you in the ass" to other men. The video with the MEET ME SOMEWHERE dude, he kept saying stuff like "I'm a big man with a big dick and i'll fuck you".

I thought it might be because homosexuality is viewed really negatively/unmanly and saying stuff like that to a person emasculates them. I just thought it was strange by doing this, they're doing the same thing too.

SmokyDave

Maybe it's just my own experience that leads me to believe this. But I often hear rap artists employ homophobia in their lyrics, and black religious leaders (to me, it seems) often harp on the vice associated with homosexuality.

I'm very doubtful that I'm the only one that has noticed this trend, however.

You're not, there are many essays on homophobia and hypermasculinity in the black community. One of these days I might even read one.

This is one of the campaigns we ran here in the UK.

"I'll fuck you in the ass" to other men.

Are people really saying this? Lol. All subtlety is gone.

I think its because black people tend to be very religious, like Christian and Protestant, and those religions aren't very accepting of gay people. Also I would imagine that a couple of decades ago being black and gay was one of the worst things to do. It would be like painting a target on your back.

From what I've seen in mainstream black culture and in my own anecdotal evidence, african americans regularly use the word "faggot" or homophobic remarks as slander. How can this be justified when the same people are outraged by other race/ethnicities' use of "nigger" as slander?

Who do you know that uses homophobic language, but also gets outraged when non-blacks say nigger?

Regardless, there's no justification for homophobic language, no matter what color your skin is. As far as, maybe not seeing the irony in using offensive slurs but getting mad about others using them, that's not a "race" thing either.

DY_nasty

Are people really saying this? Lol. All subtlety is gone.

I think its because black people tend to be very religious, like Christian and Protestant, and those religions aren't very accepting of gay people. Also I would imagine that a couple of decades ago being black and gay was one of the worst things to do. It would be like painting a target on your back.
Oh yeah sure.

Hell, I'll say that kind of thing too when I'm shit talking a friend.

I don't think its the same as the n****/f***** stuff he was referring to. Even though there's the masculinity thing going, its still a mass cultural thing against homosexuality anyways. Even though its heavy in the black community, I feel its directed more inwards than anything else.

this has to be framed rather delicately, it is not my intention to "make a point" but rather to gain some understanding.

I've been directed to the roots of the matter, i.e. the black culture finding strength in southern Christianity that demonizes homosexuality, but I don't see how these two points can be reconciled.

I don't imagine the NeoGAF black populace is particularly guilty of this, but perhaps your own anecdotage can further my own understanding.

Sincerely,

A Jewish person.

what's there to understand? there is really nothing more to it than what you already stated. there's no secret extra special logic to it.

So I recently say Pulp Fiction again and was wondering, what's up with Jule's (Samuel L. Jackson) hair? It doesn't look like a normal afro. It's kinda...I dunno. It doesn't stay up, it looks like it just falls over the top of his head

IceCold

So I recently say Pulp Fiction again and was wondering, what's up with Jule's (Samuel L. Jackson) hair? It doesn't look like a normal afro. It's kinda...I dunno. It doesn't stay up, it looks like it just falls over the top of his head

Jheri Curls. He wore a wig when shooting the movie btw.

This reminds me of something. Way back, i've always wondered why gansta rappers and people on wshh say stuff like "suck my dick" "I'll fuck you in the ass" to other men. The video with the MEET ME SOMEWHERE dude, he kept saying stuff like "I'm a big man with a big dick and i'll fuck you".

I thought it might be because homosexuality is viewed really negatively/unmanly and saying stuff like that to a person emasculates them. I just thought it was strange by doing this, they're doing the same thing too.

Nothing beats this line:

"I'll fuck you 'til you love me, faggot" - Mike Tyson

I think I agree with your reasoning. Just look at rap, it's pretty homophobic as it is. I can't really see how a out of the closet gay rapper could ever become successful in that industry.

qcf x2

It really bothers me when people suggest the these two words are on equal footing (both are obviously derogatory, but the associated plights are not comparable by any other than the simple minded and/or ignorant). Considering your tag I'm not entirely convinced you're pitching this from an unbiased perspective, either.

But in the interest of giving an answer, I'm not sure what the heck you're talking about. I don't think black people say "faggot" any more than hispanics or whites, especially when including the redneck subculture. You're looking for something that isn't there, imo.

Sincerely,

A Jewish person.

Most black people view homosexuality as a choice, and not comparable to ethnicity; i have witnessed many black people young and old throw fits at even the slightest comparison between the Civil Rights era and the gay struggle for civil rights. So I would argue there's a complete lack of respect in play

DY_nasty

Most black people view homosexuality as a choice, and not comparable to ethnicity; i have witnessed many black people young and old throw fits at even the slightest comparison between the Civil Rights era and the gay struggle for civil rights. So I would argue there's a complete lack of respect in play

Count me in that.

Having the two compared or placed side by side irks the hell out of me.

DY_nasty

Agreed.
Homosexuals have been persecuted for thousands of years, how long back did the struggle of african-americans stretch?

It's not at all comparable, yeah.

I'm sorry, but the African-American has only existed for 400 or so - and that entire time they've been catching shit too. Also, I'm not a fan of comparing asswhoopings like its a battlescar. Comparing the two like that devalues both imo.

womens rights has more in common with gay rights. Why? Because its something thats been ongoing through every culture, religion, and civilization since we started cooking with far. Thats a deep-seeded mentality thats hardwired into a lot of different perceptions and its going to need a lot more than hooking up with the latest minority getting fucked to get over its own hump. The issues in the black community simply match don't with the issues in the gay community other than prejudice.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Gays are fighting for rights that everyone else has.

Blacks fought for rights that everyone else had.

That's the only comparison you can make. And it's also the only comparison you have to make.

nel e nel

Some of my favorite rock bands with black members:

King's X
Sevendust
Fishbone
24-7 Spyz
Depeche Mode (yes, one of them is half African American. Guess who?)

In the "know your history" section:
Love
Jimi Hendrix Experience and Band of Gypsys
Funkadelic
Eddie Hazel
Skunk Anansie
Nona Hendryx

Place in music: hard to say. If you stick with the major labels, you have this 'role' that you have to fulfill, hip-hop or soul. Get beyond that, and there is a lot more freedom to define your own sound.

Oh shit! 24-7 Spyz! I saw them open for Public Enemy in '91-'92.

No love for Bad Brains?

DY_nasty

Gays are fighting for rights that everyone else has.

Blacks fought for rights that everyone else had.

That's the only comparison you can make. And it's also the only reason you have to make.

I don't like bundling things like that. You can bundle a lot of things that have one major, blanket issue in common. Sure you could start one big, major earthquake fund to help everyone suffering from the devastation of earthquakes - but its a lot more effective, a lot more practical to handle each entity differently because of the intricacies of each situation.

nel e nel

I don't like bundling things like that. You can bundle a lot of things that have one major, blanket issue in common. Sure you could start one big, major earthquake fund to help everyone suffering from the devastation of earthquakes - but its a lot more effective, a lot more practical to handle each entity differently because of the intricacies of each situation.

It also doesn't account for racism within the gay community either.

DY_nasty

It also doesn't account for racism within the gay community either.

Exactly, although it does garner some sort of gained attention, it causes a lot of key topics that are specific to one or the other to get ignored. The gay community isn't suffered from a lot of the economic or educational issues that the black community also the family structure of the gay community couldn't even be described beyond "situational" at best right now - combining the two issues does almost nothing other than make a few T-shirts and attract some short term attention.

nel e nel

Exactly, although it does garner some sort of gained attention, it causes a lot of key topics that are specific to one or the other to get ignored. The gay community isn't suffered from a lot of the economic or educational issues that the black community also the family structure of the gay community couldn't even be described beyond "situational" at best right now - combining the two issues does almost nothing other than make a few T-shirts and attract some short term attention.

yep, good points. Also black folks aren't gay, they are on 'the down low' ;)

Flint, Mich., Woman Posts N-Word On Her Home To Send A Message

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/13/flint-mich-woman-posts-n-_n_1146161.html

A black woman who said her home in Flint, Mich., was robbed, posted a sign using a racial slur outside of the house in an attempt to send a strong message, Abc12.com reports. The woman, who declined to give her name, wrote something her neighbors would never forget: "This house is a reflection of ignorant n---as."

The woman, who has two children in college, said she intended to use the house to help the homeless. She said the thieves ripped out the windows so they could get scrap metal, perpetuating a culture of crime the homeowner said she is fed up with.

"They're hustling out here," she told the news network. "It's a domino effect and yet we sit back and do nothing in the community."

But her neighbors had mixed feelings. While some said they understood her frustration as victims of crime in the past, others felt her reaction was inappropriate.

"It's ignorant of anyone to write that," Martin Beard, a resident on the block, told Mlive.com.

The local NAACP branch agreed. Chapter president Frances Gilcreast said she felt the sign signified a greater display of ignorance than the robbery, Mlive.com reports.

"That's a word that has long been offensive," she said. "I'm just appalled that in 2011 these things continue to happen."

But the woman disagreed and stood by her choice to post the sign.

"I know who I am," she said. "I know where I'm going so the word does not define me. Not at all."

I won't pick a side, but I understand her frustration. It bothers me when people spit in the face of those trying to lend a helping hand. Sometimes I wish we could round up all the fuck-ups that are intent on being a cancer in the community for as long as they breathe, put them on an island, and nuke said island. Twice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/13/flint-mich-woman-posts-n-_n_1146161.html

I won't pick a side, but I understand her frustration. It bothers me when people spit in the face of those trying to lend a helping hand. Sometimes I wish we could round up all the fuck-ups that are intent on being a cancer in the community for as long as they breathe, put them on an island, and nuke said island. Twice.

"That's a word that has long been offensive," she said. "I'm just appalled that in 2011 these things continue to happen."

BWAHAHAHHAHA

turns on [pick a hip-hop album]

she's right. what happened to her home is a by-product of the problems that have plagued our communities. My ex and one of my parents were from Flint. Grandfather still lives there. And let me tell you, you haven't seen a shithole until you've been to Flint or Saginaw, Michigan.

If she could play this on loop on a bigass projector screen outside the house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v24qbYECbpQ

along with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

I bet she would. But you know what? the screen would probably get stolen.

It's okay to pick a side when it comes to basic morality.

SoilBreak

Banned
I remember being pissed about it because of the way they tried to single out black people, but I don't remember the racist comments.

''N-Word Hurled at Blacks During Westwood Prop 8 Protest''
It was like being at a klan rally except the klansmen were wearing Abercrombie polos and Birkenstocks. YOU NI**ER, one man shouted at men. If your people want to call me a FA**OT, I will call you a ni**er. Someone else said same thing to me on the next block near the temple...me and my friend were walking, he is also gay but Korean, and a young WeHo clone said after last night the ni**rs better not come to West Hollywood if they knew what was BEST for them.

Three older men accosted my friend and shouted, "Black people did this, I hope you people are happy!" A young lesbian couple with mohawks and Obama buttons joined the shouting and said there were "very disappointed with black people" and "how could we" after the Obama victory. This was stupid for them to single us out because we were carrying those blue NO ON PROP 8 signs! I pointed that out and the one of the older men said it didn't matter because "most black people hated gays" and he was "wrong" to think we had compassion. That was the most insulting thing I had ever heard. I guess he never thought we were gay.

i'll pick a side.

hers.

CINCINNATI - A landlord found to have discriminated against a black girl by posting a "White Only" sign at a swimming pool wants a state civil rights commission to reconsider its decision.
The Ohio Civil Rights Commission found on Sept. 29 that Jamie Hein, who's white, violated the Ohio Civil Rights Act by posting the sign at a pool at the duplex where the teenage girl was visiting her parents. The parents filed a discrimination charge with the commission and moved out of the duplex in the racially diverse city to "avoid subjecting their family to further humiliating treatment," the commission said in a release announcing its finding.
An investigation revealed that Hein in May posted on the gated entrance to the pool an iron sign that stated "Public Swimming Pool, White Only," the commission statement said.
Several witnesses confirmed that the sign was posted, and the landlord indicated that she posted it because the girl used in her hair chemicals that would make the pool "cloudy," according to the commission.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9441008-landlord-fights-white-only-pool-sign-ruling

^
What's most outrageous is the fact that the landlord is actually fighting the ruling. Such unabashed disregard for the law should be met with the hightest punitive damages possible imo. The audacity of some bigots continues to remind us that we still have a long way to go.

What the fuck really? Also um I don't think she knows how black women's hair works. They're not going to be putting their permed hair into the pool if they want to keep it that way right?

Looking back, as a kid the weirdest and most uncomfortable glances I ever received were at outside or rec pools during the summer. I remember many white parents would have their kids leave once my three brothers and I walked out the locker room.

Looking back, as a kid the weirdest and most uncomfortable glances I ever received were at outside or rec pools during the summer. I remember many white parents would have their kids leave once my three brothers and I walked out the locker room.

Ugh. Where did you live Dark? Sometimes I'm so glad I grew up here, christ.

What the fuck really? Also um I don't think she knows how black women's hair works. They're not going to be putting their permed hair into the pool if they want to keep it that way right?

Most wouldn't do that. But honestly when my hair was still permed I went to the beach or pool and got it wet, I didn't really care.

But I've never heard that perms makes a pool cloudy.

Top Bottom