• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Ugh. Where did you live Dark? Sometimes I'm so glad I grew up here, christ.

Actually I grew up in a pretty mixed, liberal area: Ann Arbor, Michigan. Yet the stares and unease were palpable in pools. The black people who did come to the Rec center tended to stay in the gym, playing basketball or lifting weights. So we were almost always the only black kids in the pool area.

SoilBreak

Banned
Who is he?
Is he anyone important?

EDIT: Oh, a singer.

What a shame

jUIRZ.gif

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
A year, DY_nasty? Hot damn, what were you rocking before?

I try to go after every month. I can deal with a mini-fro, though that's as far as it gets.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Shaved head here. Only black barbers seem to be able to cut my hair, and I'm just not down with paying 25 dollars for a fade anymore...

Gotta use that towards my dwindling videogame budget...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I was just getting military barbers to chop my shit down every 3 weeks for the past 11 months. I'd edge it up myself every once in a while too, but I never had any good clippers.

Got a good ole ceasar and razor edge up... I feel like a million bucks. Its crazy how much a haircut can do for you.

RedSwirl

Shaved head here. Only black barbers seem to be able to cut my hair, and I'm just not down with paying 25 dollars for a fade anymore...

Gotta use that towards my dwindling videogame budget...

This is my goddamn problem and probably why my brother saved his head. Now I just make do with a small fro' and drive 45 minutes out to get it trimmed every month, and by then it get's pretty difficult to comb. To maintain a fade I'd have to do that almost twice as often.

Shanadeus

Banned
This is my goddamn problem and probably why my brother saved his head. Now I just make do with a small fro' and drive 45 minutes out to get it trimmed every month, and by then it get's pretty difficult to comb. To maintain a fade I'd have to do that almost twice as often.

Have you looked into Flowbee/Robocut style haircutters?

http://www.flowbee.com/
http://www.robocut.com/

They might look silly, but they might be able to help one maintain a small fro.

Shanadeus

Banned
You guys are overreacting.
Vacuum-hair cutters are supposed to be good at maintaining afros because they are very good at cutting through curly and/or thick hair, probably because of the strong vacuum separating the hair strands a bit more than normal hair-cutters are capable of.

It might look goofy, and be used for comedic purposes on GAF, but the product itself is solid.

Vacuum-hair cutters are supposed to be good at maintaining afros because they are very good at cutting through curly and/or thick hair, probably because of the strong vacuum separating the hair strands a bit more than normal hair-cutters are capable of.

It might look goofy, and be used for comedic purposes on GAF, but the product itself is solid.

<3 <3 <3

SoilBreak

Banned
Speaking of black stylings:

Is it true that some black women seek up white men just so that their kids will have straight hair?
It's one of the weirdest stereotypes I've ever heard.

I apologize profusely for any hurt feelings that I might have caused but I really don't know much about black culture as you might tell.
I very rarely see black people around here so I've never had the chance of befriend one and find out for myself how things are and aren't.

Can someone explain to me the fascination with "rims"?
Always wondered about what's so great about them in shows such as "Pimp my ride".

Part of ''Shanadeus' Greatest Hits''.

Yes tell them all about their own hair Shan.

sigh

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I try not to think that he's trolling, just ignorant and thankful for the safety of the internet. I know I was subject to all kinds of dumb questions, racist comments, and ignorant/insensitive remarks while I was getting in still.
Also lookin' sharp Dy.

Thanks homie *dap*

Lebron

It's trolling, no way around that DY. When you are deprived of a mother's milk and left on the side of the road to fend for yourself, this kind of thing happens.

Shanadeus

Banned
Isn't Shan a Caucasian guy from Scandinavia?

No, and that's racial stereotyping from you.
I'm quite far from being caucasian, please don't call me that.

How is that racial stereotyping? I'm sorry I thought I saw that you were in one thread.

I'm just a tad tired of being called caucasian just because I'm from a scandinavian country, that's what I meant by racial profiling.

I just overreacted to your post, my apologies.

Parallax

I'm just a tad tired of being called caucasian just because I'm from a scandinavian country, that's what I meant by racial profiling.

I just overreacted to your post, my apologies.
Ok, since we all have an idea of what everyone is in this thread, what do you identify as?

Shanadeus

Banned
Ok, since we all have an idea of what everyone is in this thread, what do you identify as?

I'm adopted, came to Sweden from Vietnam when I was very young and don't really consider myself to have an ethnicity. I tried to avoid revealing my ethnicity online in order to avoid labeling or racial stereotyping as much as possible but it's a futile effort as I'm instead assumed to be caucasian because of where I'm from.

I'm adopted, came to Sweden from Vietnam when I was very young and don't really consider myself to have an ethnicity. I tried to avoid revealing my ethnicity online in order to avoid labeling or racial stereotyping as much as possible but it's a futile effort as I'm instead assumed to be caucasian because of where I'm from.

Embrace your Vietnameseness!

Parallax

you're of vietnamese decent raised in sweden. I don't see the big deal of hiding that(if you aren't trying to play us, that is)

Actually, this reminds me. A vietnamese guy I know was telling me about all the half blacks in Vietnam from when the U.S. was fighting over there.

Are you perhaps...well you know?

Top Bottom