• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Shanadeus

Banned
Embrace your Vietnameseness!

I do not consider myself Vietnamese, because I have no special interest in the country, its people or its culture. Some Vietnamese food is nice, but I do not have a genetic fondness of it.

Actually, this reminds me. A vietnamese guy I know was telling me about all the half blacks in Vietnam from when the U.S. was fighting overe there.

Are you perhaps...well you know?

I strongly doubt it, I don't think I look half-black but I don't really know what a vietnamese-black looks like.

you're of vietnamese decent raised in sweden. I don't see the big deal of hiding that(if you aren't trying to play us, that is)
It's not a big deal, it was just a little experiment to see if there'd be any attitude differences.

Lebron

A Scandinavian troll, you say? How ironic. Excuse me while I laugh to myself.

RWsSn.gif

Shanadeus

Banned
People still have eyes to see, so no.

Only that doesn't really matter online, you only really get a label if you come out and basically label yourself.
I try not to think of anyone in this thread as "black", but that's pretty tricky when people refer to themselves as black.

EDIT:
so....you assume we'll be less accepting if we dont know what you are?

Who knows, you might be more or less accepted in a thread about black culture if you are black.
Honestly though, I think you will always be a bit of an outsider in a thread about a particular ethnicity if you're not part of said ethnicity - because you can't fully understand the experiences of the other person. Not to say that the people (well, most) hasn't been welcoming and helpful, quite the opposite actually.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Morgan Freeman puts it better than me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

Basically, will there be less racism if all racial labels are removed?

so....you assume we'll be less accepting if we dont know what you are?

Only that doesn't really matter online, you only really get a label if you come out and basically label yourself.
I try not to think of anyone in this thread as "black", but that's pretty tricky when people refer to themselves as black.

....this is the black culture thread.....

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Then why all the interest?

It just seems a little odd to me that you'd post like this here as often as you do then remain so "lost" for as long as you have. Most people with questions generally relax after a while and pick up the quirks (if they could even be called that) pretty quick.

I have a lot of labels for myself. Gamer, professional, programmer, American, family man etc. But as this is the black thread, here I'm bliggety black.

Blackness does get special preference for me though.

Imm0rt4l

Awkward/racist moment as a black person, anyone have any?

I live in vegas and I like to hit the clubs now and again with my boys. I'm at the club dancing with this chic from the uk having a good time and a lot of people started dancing and talking with me when this dude starts a conversation, I guess about my dancing with the british chick. The conversation leads to him askin where he can score some coke, he was really drunk at the time and a bit obnoxious but nothing I couldn't handle just a midwesterner looking for a good time and he could see I was having one. What he said next was "I know the difference between a nigger and a black man and you're a black man". I replied something along the lines of " good, because if you mistook me for one I might have to punch your teeth in:)" and he gave me an awkward dap/pat on the back". He got kicked out for something else shortly after.

My boy,who is latino says he notices white people get this vibe from me and are naturally drawn towards me in the club for some reason. I don't know how to feel about that though.

Awkward/racist moment as a black person, anyone have any?

I live in vegas and I like to hit the clubs now and again with my boys. I'm at the club dancing with this chic from the uk having a good time and a lot of people started dancing and talking with me when this dude starts a conversation, I guess about my dancing with the british chick. The conversation leads to him askin where he can score some coke, he was really drunk at the time and a bit obnoxious but nothing I couldn't handle just a midwesterner looking for a good time and he could see I was having one. What he said next was "I know the difference between a nigger and a black man and you're a black man". I replied something along the lines of " good, because if you mistook me for one I might have to punch your teeth in:)" and he gave me an awkward dap/pat on the back". He got kicked out for something else shortly after.

My boy,who is latino says he notices white people get this vibe from me and are naturall in the club for some reason. I don't know how to feel about that though.

You are, as they say, approachable.

I've had a guy drop that nigger vs black stuff on me. I think it's their way of justifying their own racism.

Ex. "I can't be racist for using the word, I know the difference!"

how does devo even make it in this thread when her skin is white????

because Devo is awesome, dear madam. but really, one thing about us is that we're easily some of the most accepting and welcoming people on earth. If you're cool, we'll set you a place at the table.

I had a coworker go on a tongue-in-cheek rant about this back when we worked in the warehouse at Circuit City.

Emboldened by Chris Rock, no doubt. :)

Lebron

I had a coworker go on a tongue-in-cheek rant about this back when we worked in the warehouse at Circuit City.
Well, it's a real war. Don't be fooled. It sure as hell ain't no kids game out there, shit gets real. For every sharped dress cat out there, there's 50 or so of them other bastards walking around flashing us they boxers.

IceCold

Shanadeus is a mystery to me and one of the few people online that I can't tell whether he's serious or not. My sarcasm meter refuses to work with his his posts.

Nail on the head, lol. The thing started when one of the new hires looked at the clock during a busy day and said "hell yeah, time for my break! See ya'll later!" My coworker who was in charge of getting the stuff onto the floor stared at him, shook his head and said "you son of a bitch" in a tone where he's being condescending, but you know he's also joking. So he just went in on a Chris Rock-style bit which included such gems as "black folk will do something like bring 2-liters to a BBQ; a n***a will TAKE said 2-liters on their way out."

Damn I miss working there.

So Vanessa Bryant has just filed for divorce. One too many groupies I'd imagine but who really knows. Especially sad considering they have children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/16/kobe-bryant-divorce_n_1154904.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Vanessa Bryant, has filed divorce papers from her superstar husband, according to reports.

TMZ is reporting that Vanessa Bryant, Kobe's wife of 10 years, has moved to end their marriage, citing "irreconcilable differences." Vanessa has requested joint custody of their daughters Natalia Diamante and Gianna Maria-Onore, who are 8 and 5 years old, respectively.

In 2003, Kobe was charged with raping a 19-year-old hotel employee at a Colorado resort. Before the case went to trial, Kobe settled out of court with the accuser for an undisclosed sum.

It was during the leadup to this trial that Kobe brought Vanessa an 8-carat purple diamond ring worth nearly $4 million.

TMZ says the couple did not enter a pre-nuptial agreement. When his current contract ends, Kobe Bryant will have earned $280 million in NBA salaries. He has earned a substantial amount of money, perhaps in the hundreds of millions, from is endorsement deals with companies like Nike and McDonald's.

Imm0rt4l

because Devo is awesome, dear madam. but really, one thing about us is that we're easily some of the most accepting and welcoming people on earth. If you're cool, we'll set you a place at the table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utrvNbTpHSA

So Vanessa Bryant has just filed for divorce. One too many groupies I'd imagine but who really knows. Especially sad considering they have children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/16/kobe-bryant-divorce_n_1154904.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

HALF

DominoKid

Nail on the head, lol. The thing started when one of the new hires looked at the clock during a busy day and said "hell yeah, time for my break! See ya'll later!" My coworker who was in charge of getting the stuff onto the floor stared at him, shook his head and said "you son of a bitch" in a tone where he's being condescending, but you know he's also joking. So he just went in on a Chris Rock-style bit which included such gems as "black folk will do something like bring 2-liters to a BBQ; a n***a will TAKE said 2-liters on their way out."

bwahahahaha i've done this.

lolololol

Kobe fucked up, should've been doing everything he could've to make that woman happy after the rape trial. He better pray this divorce goes smoothly. Fuck around and Vanessa might end up the next basketball housewife, airing all of Kobe's business out there.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lolololol

Kobe fucked up, should've been doing everything he could've to make that woman happy after the rape trial. He better pray this divorce goes smoothly. Fuck around and Vanessa might end up the next basketball housewife, airing all of Kobe's business out there.
I'm pretty sure kobe isn't stupid enough to not have some sort of non disclosure agreement with her after all that happened. The thought of her being on basketball wives would remind me that basketball wives exists, which pisses me off....

I'm pretty sure kobe isn't stupid enough to not have some sort of non disclosure agreement with her after all that happened. The thought of her being on basketball wives would remind me that basketball wives exists, which pisses me off....
one of the few reality shows that I can't even handle having in the background. you know how they have shit running on tvs in stores? I turn the channel when I'm shopping if that is on lol.

I'm guessing the man was truly in love when they got married. It's my personal belief (unbacked by any studies, science, or evidence in general), that most young people don't even consider the possibiliy of divorce when they marry.

Top Bottom