• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Kobe should've learned from Jeter and just avoided marriage entirely, or at least he should've gotten out of that marriage well before the 10 years was up. The timing is way too precise relative to CA law to be something that "randomly happened".

DominoKid

I wonder how long this natural hair trend for chicks will last. My timeline gets bombarded by women talking about natural hair pretty frequently

It was cool at first when people did it for good reasons, but now it seems like chicks are doing it just to do it and SURPRISE(!) it's just as difficult to maintain as permed hair. Just in different ways.

I wonder how long this natural hair trend for chicks will last. My timeline gets bombarded by women talking about natural hair pretty frequently

It was cool at first when people did it for good reasons, but now it seems like chicks are doing it just to do it and SURPRISE(!) it's just as difficult to maintain as permed hair. Just in different ways.

I'm a dude with no perm, and a few years ago a woman told me "YOUR HAIR IS ALL NEW GROWTH DOE" 0_o

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
My cousin just crossed the ultimate line in telling his sister that she should consider going on a diet because of the dangers of diabetes and stroke in the black community.

She's lighting his ass on fire over speakerphone right now.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My cousin just crossed the ultimate line in telling his sister that she should consider going on a diet because of the dangers of diabetes and stroke in the black community.

So, he's just taking it?

DY_nasty

So, he's just taking it?

He's smart enough to know that he's already fucked up. He doesn't have the tools to evade a raging black woman's fury yet. Hopefully he'll learn that you can't indirectly call a woman fat while expressing concern over her health and wellness.

He's smart enough to know that he's already fucked up. He doesn't have the tools to evade a raging black woman's fury yet. Hopefully he'll learn that you can't indirectly call a woman fat while expressing concern over her health and wellness.

I guess this'll be a valuable life lesson.

Lebron

Ignorance is definitely not always bliss

DominoKid

damn never tell a black woman to go on a diet.

RedSwirl

What natural hair trend are you talking about? I WISH something like that was going on around me.

Honestly, its not that hard to maintain. I find that its easier than when my hair was permed but some people just go overboard and they are obsessed with getting their hair long. I've browsed some pretty big hair boards and some do some seriously crazy stuff for long hair.

What natural hair trend are you talking about? I WISH something like that was going on around me.

Where do you live? Its definitely a trend in places like Atlanta and New York City.

RedSwirl

Honestly, its not that hard to maintain. I find that its easier than when my hair was permed but some people just go overboard and they are obsessed with getting their hair long. I've browsed some pretty big hair boards and some do some seriously crazy stuff for long hair.

Where do you live? Its definitely a trend in places like Atlanta and New York City.

DC.

Speaking of hair, I think I'm getting tired of having the small fro look. I used to have a "Steve Harvey" in high school but now I just leave it uncombed lol. Thinking I should just cut it and get some waves going.

i applaud this trend

Lebron

It's too hard to isolate just one. Anything Motown will do, with honorable mentions from Whitney Houston(Preacher's Wife and Christmas album), Boyz II Men, and Mariah Carey Christmas albums.

Gladys Knight and the Pips- Do You Hear What I Hear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7gu1pZ0UYs

Aretha Franklin- Joy to the World
http://youtu.be/fQE9_fwCOUk

The Temptations- Silent Night( a requirement for any Christmas)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfgNR_aiSTg

Boyz II Men- Let it Snow(can celebrate Christmas and get down to it too. Swag)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCbFpprZYKE&feature=related

Mariah Carey- All I Want for Christmas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxO1iGGw8t4

Whitney Houston- Joy to The World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTknk-jxc2k&feature=related

Parents literally have these and others running 24/7 through that week. Good times.

Shanadeus

Banned
Teen Whipped By Uncle In Viral Video, Shot To Death In Terrytown

I feel that this is a very important vid that you all need to see. I feel bad for the uncle because he blames himself. If the mother had made a better choice in a father for her son then maybe things would have been different. This is what I mean when I talk about bad choices and the negative culture in the black community.

Video is not working, could you explain a bit more what you mean?

Shanadeus

Banned
If he thought that this was the way to discipline his nephew then he should at least have kept it secret, and not tried to publicly humiliate him - what good could possibly come from public humiliation in his case?

He drew some negative attention, and had to prove himself to be even more macho and "alpha" which might have resulted in his death (not saying it is though, there might not be any correlation between the video and him being gunned down.

FreeMufasa

I feel that this is a very important vid that you all need to see. I feel bad for the uncle because he blames himself. If the mother had made a better choice in a father for her son then maybe things would have been different. This is what I mean when I talk about bad choices and the negative culture in the black community.

Aww this is sad. I remember that video and the thread we had on neogaf about it.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
If he thought that this was the way to discipline his nephew then he should at least have kept it secret, and not tried to publicly humiliate him - what good could possibly come from public humiliation in his case?

He drew some negative attention, and had to prove himself to be even more macho and "alpha" which might have resulted in his death (not saying it is though, there might not be any correlation between the video and him being gunned down.

The discipline is not what got him killed. He was looking for manhood. Because of his lack of having a father he ended up looking for manhood in the streets. He did not have an understanding that the street shit is nothing more than a bastardized version of manhood, a replacement for black men's overall lack of economic prosperity.

And the reverse, right?

What do you mean?

Bleepey

I think the Uncle tried his best, he can't say he couldn't say he didn't try. I think he should have whooped his arse earlier.

DY_nasty

I think I'm finally to the point where I get offended when other black people call me nigga.

Its a different kind of offended then the usual, racial kind I get from other races though.

DY_nasty

Like a "I ain't nobody's nigga, I'm a man dammit" kind of feeling?

Naw. More like, "Why do I have sit around and converse with these stay-ignorant type dumbasses that believe they can identify with me after I looked past this shit years ago?"

Naw. More like, "Why do I have sit around and converse with these stay-ignorant type dumbasses that believe they can identify with me after I looked past this shit years ago?"

Ah, okay. I don't hang around types like that, so I can't relate to that feeling. Haha, I like the question though. Why do you hang around people like that?

DominoKid

I think I'm finally to the point where I get offended when other black people call me nigga.

Its a different kind of offended then the usual, racial kind I get from other races though.

i only get offended when its ignorant hood folks. but supposedly its because i'm bougie & brand new.

DY_nasty

oh yeah im way too brand new
Ah, okay. I don't hang around types like that, so I can't relate to that feeling. Haha, I like the question though. Why do you hang around people like that?
Sometimes they come out of nowhere and surprise you.

That Dutch editor has been ousted over the Rihanna 'niggabitch' affair.

Don't know if it's been posted in the other thread because I'm not going in there, but I'd say the editor got their just deserts. Malicious or not, there was no excuse.

The editor of a Dutch fashion magazine has been fired after the publication used a racial slur to refer to Barbados-born Rihanna, setting off a social media furor and prompting an outraged response from the singer.

She then put out a Twitter item with a more explicit apology, saying she learned, “1. Don’t publish bad jokes in the magazine 2. Don’t pretend bad jokes to be funny. Sorry guys. My bad.” (Oh, it's cool)

On Tuesday, Rihanna responded herself via Twitter: “Your magazine is a poor representation of the evolution of human rights! I find you disrespectful, and rather desperate!!”

By Wednesday, the Facebook apology had attracted hundreds of comments, many condemning Hoeke but some saying the reaction was overblown. (AP)

DominoKid

My blackness mandates I must get excited by an R. Kelly sighting. Seriously WTF has he been doing the past few years? I heard he's making like 30 more Trapped In The Closets.

I find you disrespectful, and rather desperate!!
HMMMMMMM......
SOUNDS FAMILIAR......

Also, if you're getting yelled at over the phone by a female of any kind, just put the phone down, get on your computer and dont even pay attention until you hear a break in her ranting, at which point you give a token 'what' response.

If I can sell my old airsoft rifle I'll be getting a PF9/LCP/something to that effect for my CCW

Top Bottom