• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

abuC

ja3RQ.jpg

ftw

larry-david.gif

Lebron

So I just learned that Mondays is a negative slang term for black folks. I must say, I'm impressed at the mere trollness of it all. Finally thinking out of the box. I would have never known.

But now I do, they fucked up now.

Are there any slurs you guys find humorous? I mean it's terrible but I can't help but chuckle (and then feel bad) at some of the old timey slurs.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I was joking, mocking the weekly "why America is behind the rest of the world" thread.

theres another one?

Are there any slurs you guys find humorous? I mean it's terrible but I can't help but chuckle (and then feel bad) at some of the old timey slurs.

spooks. some woman(not old, mind you) called me that and i just hardcore laughed in her face. the look of embarrassment on her face was so damn beautiful i almost felt bad.

FreeMufasa

Was wondering if I could get black gafs (actually anyone) view on this topic.

Me and a friend were talking about current TV shows and we both noticed a significant increase in shows regarding British culture and pre-immigration history. We have a lot of shows such as Downtown Abbey which that look at the early 20th century. These shows used to have a moderate niche, mainly with the older crowd but they've exploded in popularity at the moment and have reached mainstream audiences. I've looked around and it seems like the same thing is happening across W. Europe.

He was saying the reason for this is because they do not want to have any black actors (or minorities) on tv. Well not so much from the directors part but the majority want to see white people on tv. His point was the 'loophole' against getting minorities is by setting shows in the past, basically a time where there weren't any and it wouldn't be seen as racist.

My argument was that it's not really a race thing but more of a cultural thing. In the UK at the moment, quite a lot of British people (rightfully or wrongly) feel their culture is being diluted/diminished. These shows hark back to a period when it was at its high and people like to see that. It also just seems like a trend. A few years ago we had a ton of vampire shows (Twilight) and a few years before that, school musical things (High School Musical).

Just wanted to see what do you guys think about this? Something similar happening in the US?

Guy's right. That hairstyle is natural with the growth of mulatto chicks. Black women's hair doesn't grow like that.

Yeah but there's an alternative that is just as if not more sexy to me.

BRm6Y.jpg

XtQsk.jpg

lordmrw

Clubs want to attract a certain clientele after all. I know many clubs that only allow black, dress shoes.

Also as I a white dude, I love the hair style of the chicks in this page (loose afro). If any girl can pull it off, they should do it, and ditch the weaves.

ja3RQ.jpg

ftw

album-moodring.jpg

The part in the video for Fallen when she's in the bathtub=time to break out the lotion.

Birbo

So what is Black GAF's view of Santa Claus? My wife works in a predominately black school and says mostly all of her black co-workers don't tell their kids about him because they don't want someone else taking the credit for presents they bought. I found this hard to believe until a co-worker of mine echoed that same thought saying "I work hard for what I got!"

ReiGun

Coon/coonery has provided many laughs for me and my friends. Thanks, Spike Lee! lol

My word, she is absolutely beautiful. I should know this, but what's her name?

And cosign with everyone that the loose afro is pretty much the best hairstyle. It's one of my biggest weakness with women.

So what is Black GAF's view of Santa Claus? My wife works in a predominately black school and says mostly all of her black co-workers don't tell their kids about him because they don't want someone else taking the credit for presents they bought. I found this hard to believe until a co-worker of mine echoed that same thought saying "I work hard for what I got!"

When I have kids, unless the other parent is adamant on worshiping Santa Claus, I probably won't go that route. I'll have to correct enough of their crazy ideas without feeding them bullshit like Santa Claus and religion.

My friend just sent this to me randomly:

http://www.psychbytes.com/Quizzes/BITCH/Black Intelligence Test of Cultural Homogeneity.htm

It's old
but I didn't know that going in. I think I knew only two answers
Bo Diddley and Charlie Parker
, and got 6 by luck/best guess.

i only knew
juneteenth and the dice...

my view... why start off raising your kids telling them lies? and from what i've seen lately, it's not so much that they don't want santa taking credit, but it's more of a "you better behave if you want me to get you nice stuff for christmas" thing.

I never cared about santa clause so I won't bother teaching my kids about him or playing along. If my would-be wife wants to do that then it's fine by me.

ReiGun

I stopped believing in Santa early, so it never mattered much to me.

Janelle Monae

Thought so. I was certain I knew who that was. Just didn't recognize her for some reason. Probably cause it's the first time I've seen her with that hair/not in a suit. lol

IceCold

i only knew
juneteenth and the dice...

my view... why start off raising your kids telling them lies? and from what i've seen lately, it's not so much that they don't want santa taking credit, but it's more of a "you better behave if you want me to get you nice stuff for christmas" thing.

It's not so much about being a lie. It's fun. When you are a kid, it's pretty exciting and fun. Why would you remove that experience from your children? It's just a white lie after all. Plus it's fun to see them figure out that Santa is not real as they grow older.

Onemic

Clubs want to attract a certain clientele after all. I know many clubs that only allow black, dress shoes.

Also as I a white dude, I love the hair style of the chicks in this page (loose afro). If any girl can pull it off, they should do it, and ditch the weaves.

ja3RQ.jpg

ftw

THIS

Why can't more black women just go more natural like this instead of perming their hair 24/7 or getting a weave. Like if a study was done I would bet about 85%(probably higher) of all black women either get a weave/wig or perm their hair to be straight. Keep it natural girls!

And Janelle Monae is my future wife. In my dreams :(

Lebron

And let's be honest, no one likes seeing weaves lying around everywhere. It's just gross
I remember back when I sprinted, that shit would be all over the track. We would be like, "damn, yall running out your weaves. Slow the hell down or start buying that Indian quality." Ah, good times.

Top Bottom