• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Black women are probably most impacted by European definitions of beauty than anyone else, at least in the western world and in Europe I'd imagine. Weaves often look so ridiculous I can't help but be turned off when I see them, and while perming/straightening hair is fine or whatever, it leads to black women losing their hair as they get older - which results in more weaves.

I hope we see a fad or revival of more natural hairstyles, from the old Monae curly fro to locks. I hate to sound like some judgmental black man or whatever but I really wish more black women would stop trying to imitate white beauty, something that's damn hard to compete with if you're relying on artificial shit.

My mom cut her hair super low a few years ago and everyone went crazy. Like, threatened and "wtf are you doing?!?!" reactions even from my dad lol. Yet she rocks it with confidence to this day

Onemic

Patriarchy at play is my guess here.
The patriarchy sends out a particular message of what kind of hair is acceptable, and females either follow line or receive negative feedback from both males and females who have succumbed to this pressure to get artificial hair.

Patriarchy needs a slap in the face

Totally didn't realize it was you Shana, quit changing your avatar!

DominoKid

THIS

Why can't more black women just go more natural like this instead of perming their hair 24/7 or getting a weave. Like if a study was done I would bet about 85%(probably higher) of all black women either get a weave/wig or perm their hair to be straight. Keep it natural girls!

And Janelle Monae is my future wife. In my dreams :(

if it were that easy they would. but its just as difficult to maintain. more actually from what women tell me when i ask.

and it's not seen as conventionally beautiful like perms are.
(IMO it doesnt always look that good on chicks. ex. I wouldn't holla at Janelle Monae.)

and some women's hair just wont grow like that to begin with.

Satch

Banned
THIS

Why can't more black women just go more natural like this instead of perming their hair 24/7 or getting a weave. Like if a study was done I would bet about 85%(probably higher) of all black women either get a weave/wig or perm their hair to be straight. Keep it natural girls!

it doesnt naturally grow like that

Onemic

it doesnt naturally grow like that

Of course it doesn't, but it's closer to the natural look than what you usually see now, far closer. I wasn't just talking about that picture, just natural hair in general

if it were that easy they would. but its just as difficult to maintain. more actually from what women tell me when i ask.

and it's not seen as conventionally beautiful like perms are.
(IMO it doesnt always look that good on chicks. ex. I wouldn't holla at Janelle Monae.)

and some women's hair just wont grow like that to begin with.

It is impossible for natural hair to be harder to maintain than putting chemicals in your hair to straighten it or using weaves. The curly fro is understandable though. My mom went natural about 2 years back and she said the biggest thing about it was that it was far and away easier to maintain than constantly perming her hair or getting a weave.

DominoKid

Low fro, nappy head, locks, almost anything is better than a weave.

i'd never holla at a chick w/ dreads. well i wont say never because who knows. but 99% of the time? its not happening. it just looks ratty to me. i think i'd rather have a bald chick.

It is impossible for natural hair to be harder to maintain than putting chemicals in your hair to straighten it or using weaves. The curly fro is understandable though. My mom went natural about 2 years back and she said the biggest thing about it was that it was far and away easier to maintain than constantly perming her hair or getting a weave.

I wouldnt know up from down on women's hair maintenance. All I have are the constant bitching & moaning from the women in my life who have made the transition.

i'd never holla at a chick w/ dreads. well i wont say never because who knows. but 99% of the time? its not happening. it just looks ratty to me. i think i'd rather have a bald chick.

How about Lauryn Hill in her prime?

LaurynHill1.jpg

DominoKid

#BlackKidProblems is trending worldwide on twitter right now.

Some of the posts are true, and others are just white people being silly.

black people make twitter go round.
the same way sluts make tumblr go round.

this shit cracked me up
#BlackKidProblems being the only black person in the class when they talkin about slavery. AWKWARD

this too
#BlackKidProblems : Telling their parents "Naw, my teacher just don't like me..", lol .

SoilBreak

Banned
MrWizKhaIifa Wiz Khalifa
#BlackKidProblems Being made fun of because you talk "white". Being educated, doesn't prevent you from being black. RETWEET if you agree.

DominoKid

This tweet is sweet, and should hopefully remind us all that black kids are no different from white kids in many ways outside of prejudice and racism:

#blackkidproblem when your parents learn how to usse social media and take the most offending profile pic and try to add you.

glad my mom had the good sense to not try and add me on facebook. then again she added all my cousins so i guess she's "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to my business and the shit i get into. although i do all my bad shit on twitter now.

This tweet is sweet, and should hopefully remind us all that black kids are no different from white kids in many ways outside of prejudice and racism:

#blackkidproblem when your parents learn how to usse social media and take the most offending profile pic and try to add you.

Shanadeus!

I remember you.

I'm thankful both my parents are computer illiterate.

My sister today showed my mother YouTube for the first time. My mother still doesn't understand it and only thinks it has millions of videos of cute kittens, which it probably does.

My parents have a joint facebook. This is their profile picture
313781_132351200196197_100002639521218_151244_2096816227_n.jpg

I can't remember the name of the dude, he died a couple months ago. Was a major songwriter. But yea...smh

YoungHav

Banned
I hate the weave/perm craze. It is a damn shame, a lot of the time it can look foolish as hell. I am just bothered that the percentages are so high and you're "different" if you have your hair natural. My aunt hates it when my cousins wear their hair natural, what brainwashing.

Bleepey

THIS

I once had a discussion witha blak gile (Who was fine as fuck btw) about this. She said that blak guys who said that they like natural hair don't know ho hard it is too maintain, don't know how it does not gel with the professional workplace and they would not like it if more girls wore it. I was a guest at their home and so i did not feel i should continue down this discussion.

FreeMufasa

puwcM.png

?

I used to think that but then I started meeting good looking and very smart women with the look.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My parents have a joint facebook. This is their profile picture
313781_132351200196197_100002639521218_151244_2096816227_n.jpg

I can't remember the name of the dude, he died a couple months ago. Was a major songwriter. But yea...smh

Nick Ashford of Ashford and Simpson

Should be required knowledge for black card membership, PD

nah

SmokyDave

Was wondering if I could get black gafs (actually anyone) view on this topic.

Me and a friend were talking about current TV shows and we both noticed a significant increase in shows regarding British culture and pre-immigration history. We have a lot of shows such as Downtown Abbey which that look at the early 20th century. These shows used to have a moderate niche, mainly with the older crowd but they've exploded in popularity at the moment and have reached mainstream audiences. I've looked around and it seems like the same thing is happening across W. Europe.

He was saying the reason for this is because they do not want to have any black actors (or minorities) on tv. Well not so much from the directors part but the majority want to see white people on tv. His point was the 'loophole' against getting minorities is by setting shows in the past, basically a time where there weren't any and it wouldn't be seen as racist.

My argument was that it's not really a race thing but more of a cultural thing. In the UK at the moment, quite a lot of British people (rightfully or wrongly) feel their culture is being diluted/diminished. These shows hark back to a period when it was at its high and people like to see that. It also just seems like a trend. A few years ago we had a ton of vampire shows (Twilight) and a few years before that, school musical things (High School Musical).

Just wanted to see what do you guys think about this? Something similar happening in the US?

Yeah but there's an alternative that is just as if not more sexy to me.

BRm6Y.jpg

XtQsk.jpg

That's an interesting theory. I'm not sure I agree that it's being done specifically to exclude black people as a lot of older British people probably hark back to 'the good old days' for economic or ego reasons, but that said, it's a pretty plausible theory.

I can't link an article at the moment but there was a furore over The Midsomer Murders producer or director stressing the need for an all-white cast in his period show and how that was what the audience wanted. He was sacked and I don't think they ever found out if he was telling the truth or projecting his own desires.

Personally, I hope it's not the case. I like it when non-Brits watch our TV and inevitably comment on how 'integrated' everyone is and how we don't really have racial taboos in casting. It would be a crying shame to see that change.

Measley

Black women are probably most impacted by European definitions of beauty than anyone else, at least in the western world and in Europe I'd imagine. Weaves often look so ridiculous I can't help but be turned off when I see them, and while perming/straightening hair is fine or whatever, it leads to black women losing their hair as they get older - which results in more weaves.

I hope we see a fad or revival of more natural hairstyles, from the old Monae curly fro to locks. I hate to sound like some judgmental black man or whatever but I really wish more black women would stop trying to imitate white beauty, something that's damn hard to compete with if you're relying on artificial shit.

My mom cut her hair super low a few years ago and everyone went crazy. Like, threatened and "wtf are you doing?!?!" reactions even from my dad lol. Yet she rocks it with confidence to this day

Yeah, just the amount of money black women spend on hair products is atrocious. My wife (who is white) just buys shampoo, and lets her hair dry naturally. Meanwhile, I still remember my mother and female family members spending thousands of dollars a year on weaves, extensions, wigs, etc. Shit was like the color purple, with little girls crying as they got their hair combed.

I really hope my daughter has hair more like her mother, or at least get a hair type that she doesn't have to spend a fortune to deal with.

Satch

Banned
i spend like 12 dollars on hair products maybe once every month and a half while going natural or with a perm, and they both take about the same amount of time to prepare (in my experience)

if the person is not getting weaves, then i'm curious as to what the massive amount of money is going toward

Yeah, just the amount of money black women spend on hair products is atrocious. My wife (who is white) just buys shampoo, and lets her hair dry naturally. Meanwhile, I still remember my mother and female family members spending thousands of dollars a year on weaves, extensions, wigs, etc. Shit was like the color purple, with little girls crying as they got their hair combed.

Wow, that is a lot of cash to spend unless you're a model/actress of some sort. I do think spending that much money is atypical though.

Measley

i spend like 12 dollars on hair products maybe once every month and a half while going natural or with a perm, and they both take about the same amount of time to prepare (in my experience)

if the person is not getting weaves, then i'm curious as to what the massive amount of money is going toward

Yeah, its mostly weaves, or going to the beauty shop. Some of them would also spend hundreds of dollars on hair extensions too.

Wow, that is a lot of cash to spend unless you're a model/actress of some sort. I do think spending that much money is atypical though.

Many of them had big jobs in the private and public sector. My aunt is a judge, and one of my cousins is a doctor. You just can't have an afro or dreads in those kind of professions.

JGS

Banned
I used to think this until I saw Good Hair- A thorough but shallow documentary from Chris Rock. Hair salons apparently have good layaway plans.

I will never gripe about my wife's hair costs again since it's cheaper than her going out and buying other people's hair.

It's not so much about being a lie. It's fun. When you are a kid, it's pretty exciting and fun. Why would you remove that experience from your children? It's just a white lie after all. Plus it's fun to see them figure out that Santa is not real as they grow older.

what's fun and exciting besides getting the gifts?

Yeah, its mostly weaves, or going to the beauty shop. Some of them would also spend hundreds of dollars on hair extensions too.

Many of them had big jobs in the private and public sector. My aunt is a judge, and one of my cousins is a doctor. You just can't have an afro or dreads in those kind of professions.

and that's the real problem.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wrong. She married Swizz Beatz, clearly she's retarded.

I cried so many nights. Un-break my heart, Alicia.

that was a crushing blow. but ever since, ive began to see how vanilla swizzys beats are, so theres a win in everything.

Why'd you have to go on post those and bring up those memories.

She was on prestige mode, S+++ rank

never forget. especially the r-kelly shit

I really hope my daughter has hair more like her mother, or at least get a hair type that she doesn't have to spend a fortune to deal with.

I disagree with this mentality. She'll most likely have straight hair, but if she doesn't that is not a bad thing - nor will it mean she has bad hair. There are plenty of good hair styles a black woman can get without a weave.

i agree with you, i hope she has good hair and can pass for white. she can avoid so many problems in life.

Onemic

I disagree with this mentality. She'll most likely have straight hair, but if she doesn't that is not a bad thing - nor will it mean she has bad hair. There are plenty of good hair styles a black woman can get without a weave.

This

The fact that it's seen as bad to have natural African hair is the problem in our society.

Top Bottom