• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

And of course, the funniest for last:

s-SAMMY-SOSA-SKIN-large.jpg

My dude looks like a dehydrated duke ellington

Baby Milo

That's what Vybzz Kartel claimed to be using, I should have put it in quotes, he's just straight up bleaching his skin as far as I can tell.
What exactly is the process of skin bleaching?

in my mind i always imagine them buying bleach and rubbing it on themselves lol

SoilBreak

Banned
"This is my new image. You can expect the unexpected. I feel comfortable with black people lightening their skin. They want a different look. It's tantamount to white people getting a sun tan."

Stupid ass vybz

Satch

Banned
What exactly is the process of skin bleaching?

in my mind i always imagine them buying bleach and rubbing it on themselves lol

you buy a cream and rub it on your skin frequently and it lightens your skin over time

if you just bought bleach and rubbed it on your skin youd get chemical burns, and itd leave scars that would just leave you darker than you started out lol

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
black girls are so gorgeous...every guy out there obsesses over asian girls, I obsess over black girls.

Ahem...I hope I didn't sound like a jackass saying this stuff >_>

edit: I'm not just saying this cause i'm drfunk, I'm saying cause I went out today...

no sir, though I could understand why you'd want to be the king of Funk

Imm0rt4l

we all know how its goes unfortunately. i do want to hear why measley thinks that way though. i mean, what made him dispise black people so much?

thats oddly appropriate

Is he Dominican? I can only surmise it's a collection of things, black girls calling him ugly as a kid, he hates his mom, someone called him too dark, father figure was an uncle tom etc.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is he Dominican? I can only surmise it's a collection of things, black girls calling him ugly as a kid, he hates his mom, someone called him too dark, father figure was an uncle tom etc.

i dont think he was dominican seeing as how he at least admitted that he was black. and i know the black girls not wanting to have anything to do with you can fuck you up, it did to me, but its mindbogging how you can hate yourself that much. the rest of the world hates us, so we can at least take pride in ourselves if no one else will

abuC

Sammy is Dominican, and they have serious issues on complexion since Haiti is next door.

Imm0rt4l

Sammy is Dominican, and they have serious issues on complexion since Haiti is next door.

Yea, I know. I'm talking about Measley.

i dont think he was dominican seeing as how he at least admitted that he was black. and i know the black girls not wanting to have anything to do with you can fuck you up, it did to me, but its mindbogging how you can hate yourself that much. the rest of the world hates us, so we can at least take pride in ourselves if no one else will
This is true.

what happened to amerie? can someone tell me? i can take it

edit: never mind. I lied, I can't take it. I mean she was my the epitome of natural beauty. Poukisa?

Well if I were to explain it objectively in many parts of the world light skin is seen as beauty, which is why it doesn't matter if a guy is dark skinned or not. I live in Saudi and the number of commercials that show a brown chick using fair and lovely to get lighter skin and rejoicing in how she "became" beautiful is staggering. Same happens in India.

It isn't right, but it is very much true for a lot of the world. I have no qualms having a darkskinned daughter if I ended up marrying a black girl, I'd love her just the same. This dude is probably equating his own preference to what he wants his daughter to look like, which is pretty weird.

Dabanton

Was wondering if I could get black gafs (actually anyone) view on this topic.

Me and a friend were talking about current TV shows and we both noticed a significant increase in shows regarding British culture and pre-immigration history. We have a lot of shows such as Downtown Abbey which that look at the early 20th century. These shows used to have a moderate niche, mainly with the older crowd but they've exploded in popularity at the moment and have reached mainstream audiences. I've looked around and it seems like the same thing is happening across W. Europe.

He was saying the reason for this is because they do not want to have any black actors (or minorities) on tv. Well not so much from the directors part but the majority want to see white people on tv. His point was the 'loophole' against getting minorities is by setting shows in the past, basically a time where there weren't any and it wouldn't be seen as racist.

My argument was that it's not really a race thing but more of a cultural thing. In the UK at the moment, quite a lot of British people (rightfully or wrongly) feel their culture is being diluted/diminished. These shows hark back to a period when it was at its high and people like to see that. It also just seems like a trend. A few years ago we had a ton of vampire shows (Twilight) and a few years before that, school musical things (High School Musical).

Just wanted to see what do you guys think about this? Something similar happening in the US?

These shows have always been popular. The hilarious thing is ethnic people could be in those shows as there were plenty around during those times, many as house help as it was fairly fashionable for some upper class homes to have some black house staff. Recruited from London or Cardiff. Many men of Caribbean, african, Oriental and asian descent stayed and set up home in the UK from the 1700s of course many had been in england even before that.There is a perception that 'black' people only arrived in the UK in the 1950's.

The main problem is TV commissioners and more importantly casting agents are too closeted in their world. There have been a few efforts but across the board it's shit. It's why in the late 1990s due to a lack of decent screen roles many of our best black actors came to the USA to get work i'm sure many of us know actors like.

Idris Elba
Lennie James
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Eamonn Walker
Treva Etienne
Marianne Jean-Baptiste

Now the only recurring roles open to black and ethnic actors in the UK is crap like Eastenders. Lucky actors like David Harewood get a recurring role on something like Robin Hood although Homeland seems to have raised his profile even more in the US.

As black actors always tell me. "Thank god for the theatre in the UK" only place that is more open minded casting wise.

Of course the UK TV channels are prepared to 'take the risk' of casting them once these kind of actors have made it big in the states

Sheshh...

FreeMufasa

That's an interesting theory. I'm not sure I agree that it's being done specifically to exclude black people as a lot of older British people probably hark back to 'the good old days' for economic or ego reasons, but that said, it's a pretty plausible theory.

I can't link an article at the moment but there was a furore over The Midsomer Murders producer or director stressing the need for an all-white cast in his period show and how that was what the audience wanted. He was sacked and I don't think they ever found out if he was telling the truth or projecting his own desires.

Personally, I hope it's not the case. I like it when non-Brits watch our TV and inevitably comment on how 'integrated' everyone is and how we don't really have racial taboos in casting. It would be a crying shame to see that change.

I remember that. I remember thinking I'd want to here him fully explain what he meant but he was closed up so fast I don't think he got the chance.

Yeah I like that we're a leader in this regard. I can understand it from a cultural perspective but I just can't imagine white people would collectively not watch shows because of different ethnicities. It reminds me of a thread we had here a few months ago about the US where an article stated White people were not watching the NBA because there were too many Black people. I think i'll make a thread on this in the New Year, see what the rest of gaf thinks.

Queen of the Blasians 2002-2011

I know this is a tough time for you (me and all) and everything but.......................she was never the Blasian Queen.

qLm0B.png

5SrOB.jpg

2Ax3S.jpg

Crystal Kay

Maybe a Duchess or something.

Just read back to the last 2 pages...and saw that picture of Amerie.

Words cannot express my profound discouragement and sadness. That anyone would feel some sort of bizarro social pressure in 2011 to feel they need to bleach their skin is depressing...and that they are high-profile people...it actually makes it much more difficult for other people of color (particularly young women) to continue to feel comfortable in their own skin.

Maybe when this world reaches the year 2100, everyone will feel comfortable with themselves and understand that complexion doesn't make them any prettier or homelier than anyone else.

And that Little Kim video...hey man, what I've always found about money is that it doesn't change anyone; it just gives them the ability to be more of what they already are. This is what Little Kim has always looked like on the inside: hopelessly unhappy, insatiably sad.

But that Amerie picture is definitely the saddest thing I've seen in some time. She seemed so confident in who she was...so stylish. I guess she was just an expert at keeping up appearances. Her complexion and skin were just flawless. The only way she could have possibly been hotter is if she had the curly hair too. lol. Her name need not even be mentioned in my presence anymore. My brother didn't even recognize her face when I showed him that pic. But like Kim, I guess this is a very real view into who she is and how she relates to the rest of the world.

I find darker skinned black women to be hotter than light skinned ones. Stacy Dash during her prime was zomg!
Stacey Dash is not and has never been "darker". She's a medium-light shade of brown.

So much self hate among Dominicans.
Their history with Haiti and their Nationalism is to blame there. But really, South and Central America are rife with this shit. I honestly worry about the influence of Latin American culture on the US. I don't want their brand of race and bigotry issues here. Fuck that shit.

Top Bottom