• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I wonder what makes darker men more acceptable than darker women. I mean, I of all people have no problem with that, but it's just weird.
Somehow, I think you're comparing apple and oranges. A better question would be why light-skinned black women are more acceptable than dark skinned black women which should answer the question better.

Somehow, I think you're comparing apple and oranges. A better question would be why light-skinned black women are more acceptable than dark skinned black women which should answer the question better.

It's not just within the black community though, it happens in Asian culture as well.

thats why people think lightskinned dudes are soft.

m7b049.gif

"Tall, dark and handsome" has almost always been appealing; sure often the term applies to people who aren't even "dark" or black, but the point remains.

If we were to look at slavery though, lighter skinned black women were often the closest thing to a white woman that a black slave could have. So there was sexual attraction as well as an interest in producing lighter skinned children who might have an easier way of life. We see that to this day, as Measley most recently demonstrated.

I'm a dark brotha; I'm not Chauncey from Black Street black, but you get the point. My mom said one of her friends told her that I would no doubt marry a lighter woman because I was "sooo" dark, and therefore must want lighter children. She refuses to tell me which of her friends said this, which annoys me to no end. My girlfriend is "light" but the prospect of having light children has never entered my mind. I find plenty of dark black women attractive

Yep, it's not a rare phenomena.
same outcomes, vastly different reasons. apples and oranges.

It's not just within the black community though, it happens in Asian culture as well.
yea, for the most part that's because of the association of darker skin with poverty (working outside all day means you're a poor pleb) and got engrained in the culture pretty heavily because of it.

In America, it's simply a function of the prevailing beauty standards as accepted by the majority at this point. Though black Americans have a long, rich history with self-hatred, secondary to certain slavery systems and social constructions (like the significantl better treatment for the lighter/mixed "house niggers". When you encourage and make socially acceptable those practices, then couple them with greater societal pressures...you get self-conscious black female 6 year-olds who cry because they don't look like barbie or because they to teased at school for not having a narrow nose, or kinky hair, or brown skin.

yea, for the most part that's because of the association of darker skin with poverty (working outside all day means you're a poor pleb) and got engrained in the culture pretty heavily because of it.

In America, it's simply a function of the prevailing beauty standards as accepted by the majority at this point. Though black Americans have a long, rich history with self-hatred, secondary to certain slavery systems and social constructions (like the significantl better treatment for the lighter/mixed "house niggers". When you encourage and make socially acceptable those practices, then couple them with greater societal pressures...you get self-conscious black female 6 year-olds who cry because they don't look like barbie or because they to teased at school for not having a narrow nose, or kinky hair, or brown skin.

Totally forgot about this, so true, the working in the fields phenomenon. But still why would it apply more to women, or is it that men typically want to marry (or fuck) above themselves?

Totally forgot about this, so true, the working in the fields phenomenon. But still why would it apply more to women, or is it that men typically want to marry (or fuck) above themselves?

Never really thought about that one, actually. But I'd say that in our societies, women have historically and typically spent more time on...shall we say, "enhancing" their appearances to look more appealing to a man. Whether corsets, make-up, perms, colored contacts, fitting clothing, liposuction, lip fillers, botox...or skin bleaching. I suppose the belief was that lighter looks would make them more valuable and thus, the more sought-after target for black men (or other men).

Only recently have we reached a point in society where men are interested in focusing on their appearance significantly. Black men, for example, used to pretty much just keep their "modifications" to hair waves, jerri curls, and s curls. Back then, if you were dark, you just embraced that darkness and teased the light kids. If you were light, same thing. Now men are buying purses to match the shoes, belt and watch wristband (I'd do all the above, but have no murse yet).

Also, my father is seeing a notable uptick in men coming in for liposuction, nose and ear augmentations as well. He's a pretty good source, as he's been doing cosmetic surgery for 17 years and has trained about 500 physicians. I would predict that we'll continue to see men slowly become more self-conscious as women obtain more power in society and control over their reality, complete with men doing more of this kinda shit to make themselves stand out from the crowd and become more "attractive".

Working outside vs inside and the classism associated with that.
hopefully for those Asian countries, once people start to see wealth in the pockets of people of all shades, that classism will die faster than it will in America.

It's sad, but it's something I hear too often. Side effect of being subjected to the European standard of beauty I suppose. It's sad to see people like Measley and their self-loathing ways, I can empathize, but it's still sad. Reminds me of a picture I saw of Amerie the other day:

amerie.jpg

Look at this shit. Amerie used to be so beautiful when she first came out. Then after awhile she got surgery done on her nose, then I started noticing her skin getting lighter and lighter. I figured she was bleaching years ago, but I never thought she would take it this far.

Amerie doing plastic surgey is nothing new :

g48or.jpg

amerie-blonde-hair.jpg

As a brotha with hardcore blasian fever, I am tearstruck.

About to head out now. Grab dinner with my girl then off to Channelside to watch the fireworks. Have a Happy News Years Black GAF! Love you guys.

Me and the missus are going to do the quiet home thing tonight. We got back from 2 days of driving early this morning and I'd like to just sit on my couch with a bit of the drank.

Top Bottom