• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

FreeMufasa

Here's something i've wondered for a while. Why do current British female singers have much much more success in USA/Canada than their male counterpart? I know there are some succesful guys but no way near to the level of Adele, Amy Winehouse (rip) Coreen Rae for example.

So you guys just like our women but not our dudes?

The first part of chapter 4 when Kelly is driving is amazing.

lol yep. Screw the haters, Chapter 11 is the best by far.

Onemic

Here's something i've wondered for a while. Why do current British female singers have much much more success in USA/Canada than their male counterpart? I know there are some succesful guys but no way near to the level of Adele, Amy Winehouse (rip) Coreen Rae for example.

They're better at making generic pop/rnb songs than the dudes? Have no idea really, the guys just have no exposure here. I mean I can't even name you a British singer of the last 4 or so years.

royalan

lol yep. Screw the haters, Chapter 11 is the best by far.

1) They're pretty.

2) It seems that the ladies are capitalizing on the popular retro/singer-songwriter trend right now. Adele, Amy, Corinne Bailey Rae, Duffy - all examples of acts making retro-sounding soul/R&B with light splashes of Pop. My knowledge of the music scene overseas is minimal, but I don't get the impression that there are a lot of men represented in that style right now. And then there's Florence, who's music is really hard for me to classify, but she's got the singer-songwriter thing down.

But then, male British acts have always been more popular on the Rock side of things. Just check out the recent success Mumford & Sons have had over here.

This thread is now about best Gooding.

gooding.jpg

How can you guys not know that they are brothers?

It never occurred to me once. I grew up watching Omar on Wild & Crazy Kids, then he kinda went out of the limelight a bit and came back with Smart Guy (which I never watched). Then a few years later I see Cuba doing movies, but by then Omar had practically removed himself from my memories.

cast-of-smart-guy.jpg

I'm sad there wasn't more seasons made after the third :(
Moe Tibbs was and is still the man though.

Apparently for Omar's next role he is gonna co-star in a new movie called "Percentage" alongside Cam'ron in a movie produced by Queen Latifah. When I first saw this it sounded so weird I thought it was fake news, but nope. Though I'm probably the only one here interested in seeing the movie though lol.

Imm0rt4l

I don't get it either, not as offensive as Terrence "I let my wife call me and my children niggers" howard, being a tuskegee airmen.

*shrugs

I really liked the other tuskegee airmen flick with Fishburne.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Even though worst Gooding is in it, I have to see it.

I've got a mean dogfight fetish.

What do you guys think about the new Tuskegee Airmen movie Redtails? Interested? I was until I saw Cuba Gooding Jr was in it.
Cool story, and I'm glad their making it...but George Lucas is involved.

Hope it doesn't do poorly, if it does, we all get to enjoy "see, when you make a black movie, even they won't see it" as though we asked for this. I feel like a hypocrite because I'm really not that interested. I haven't gone to the theater in ages, since like, American Gangster. This probably won't be the film that pulls me back in.

Air

Banned

I like the concept of having this kind of dialogue between black males. This kind of reflection is very important. I also like how he's installing it so that it mimics that of a conversation.

He should try to get this to get this publicized through internet video websites or T.V spots as well. It could be a very important piece I think. It's pretty cool.

Lebron

It's been well over a decade now and I still can't understand a damn word Juvenile says. I always told myself, maybe I'll understand when I'm older. Nope. Still sounds like he was in the special class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL2txMU50CI

Might as well be speaking Korean. On another note, that song was huge as shit that year.

Top Bottom