• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

lil smoke

Banned
Can't find it, but he was championing a chick that cut up metal and shit and put it under her skin.

I did, that was a weakass proposal.

Oh so he proposed hehe... I gotta check it out. He's a good dude though. Funny that he brings the levity to the show.

NC is 5 years behind, and confused on top of that. Its like some bad mashup of Philly, DC, and Atlanta.

The saddest part is when they tried to start opening up some skate shop type things out here to push that style when no one can fucking skate. So you go tight ass jeans with ugly ass shoes with no direction to go with a bright shirt that makes no sense that will match that single highlight in your hair - and you're a man.

Then you got guys rocking the old Beans/Freeway attire. 4X everything with fitted and retarded racing jacket featuring something like Oreos or skittles or whatever.

Then you go the polo-philes. And they just can't pull it off for the simple fact that they try to hard.

That skate shop and colored tight jeans thing with a bright shirt was a trend a few years ago. Thankfully that died off and I never see dudes dressed like that anymore, but that was nationwide, not just NC.

As for people wearing XXXXXXL clothes and racing jackets, I only see that on people from the hood, and once again that's nationwide. Although there may be more racing jackets here since NC is the racing capital of the USA.

The "Polo down to the socks" thing, also a nationwide trend, was the most recent trend and some dudes might still be doing that, but I don't see them.

nail on the fucking head.

it blew my mind that Foams JUST blew up here in 2011. I didn't see anybody rocking Foams here before 2011 and now more people rock em than Jordans.

Although I blame the Hanes Mall HOH for that.

I hardly ever see anybody wearing them. I know one dude personally that wears them. But why would this blow your mind? Just because some areas are big into something doesn't mean we have to be.

I was back home for a couple of days and just cruised through Northgate Mall for the first time in a solid year. I knew it was bad before, but I didn't know how bad. Shit just put a bad taste in my mouth. From the DTLR, LIMS, Fashion Ave spots to the high school kids trying their hardest to be what they see on BET.

Of course you're not gonna see people on the cutting edge of fashion at those places!

Onemic

"It's almost like you're not black"
"Can I touch it"
"Do you know this random person, they're black"

I almost fell over from the truth in that video. Scared me.

Got these two all the fucking time. Made me want to punch someone in the face sometimes.

"It's almost like you're not black"
"Can I touch it"
"Do you know this random person, they're black"

I almost fell over from the truth in that video. Scared me.

this chick at work told me her family wanted to move to Colorado because all the black people in Texas started tripping when Obama got in office. she followed up that statement by telling me that i was one of the "good ones." ugh.

"So cute for a black guy, right!?"
"Wait its not real? It is..it is, ok, sorry!"

I just love all of her facial expressions. She's really good.

Air

Banned
Had a lot of "Can I touch your hair" when I was rocking an afro. Good times. Now all I get is, "you look like Michael Jackson, can you moonwalk?"

NC is 5 years behind, and confused on top of that. Its like some bad mashup of Philly, DC, and Atlanta.

The saddest part is when they tried to start opening up some skate shop type things out here to push that style when no one can fucking skate. So you go tight ass jeans with ugly ass shoes with no direction to go with a bright shirt that makes no sense that will match that single highlight in your hair - and you're a man.

Then you got guys rocking the old Beans/Freeway attire. 4X everything with fitted and retarded racing jacket featuring something like Oreos or skittles or whatever.

Then you go the polo-philes. And they just can't pull it off for the simple fact that they try to hard.

My brother can skate better than anyone in this thread.
I'll do a thread ban bet on it, come at me bro
Say what you want about clothes, I think he dresses like shit too.

Had a lot of "Can I touch your hair" when I was rocking an afro."

My whole junior year in highschool.

Sometimes I like catching people before they can even say black or mention me being black:

Friend: You know, I don't usually get to hang out with people who are ...

Me: ..tall? Is that the word you're looking for?

Friend: uh yeah, tall...(*laughs nervously*)

did anyone here go to an hbcu? if so what school did you go to and what was your experience

lol, kind of late but this is an interesting look at why some think HBCU's are still necessary.

There were times when college was not an option for African-Americans. Instead, they had to gain knowledge the best way they knew how. African-American leaders such as Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman weren't give a trouble-free opportunity to learn and understand what the world had in store for them....

Jarrett Carter Sr., founding editor of HBCU Digest, strongly believes historically Black institutions are still relevant in today's society. As an alumnus of Morgan State University, Carter is a strong believer in what Black institutions have to offer to African-American students.
"First, students are given assignments and attend classes with people who look like them," said Carter. The African-American professors at HBCUs are people the Black students can identify with. The struggle, lifestyle and determination of the professors is what the Black students have knowledge of. Likewise, they have a drive to become future leaders for the next generation to look up to.

The second reason Carter believes HBCUs are relevant, let alone important, is because Blacks have the opportunity to experience teaching that is thorough and learning that is rigorous. When Black students are given the chance to be taught by people who look like them and who can understand them, it is a chance that should be taken. "The learning experience is at its optimum," said Carter.

Me personally, I had the choice to go but opted not to go the HBCU route. I'll probably advise my children to do the same in the future, but I do understand why some go.

royalan

God, all truthful, but by FAR the one that hit home most for me was "The Jews were slaves too...you don't see us complaining about it."

Have had that happen to me several times. Usually while I was out, usually by someone older, and ALWAYS while nobody was talking about anything even REMOTELY related to slavery.

What do you even say to that!?!

I mean - you know what you want to say to that...but then you'd be acting out every "angry black person" stereotype in existence.

SmokyDave

You can take it on the Chin.

I don't understand this pun and have therefore deduced that it is related to either sports or 10th century kettles, the only gaps in my knowledge.

I quickly watched the project you posted above (I'm at work). It looks like a really interesting concept and I'm looking forward to watching the full thing when I get home.

SmokyDave

Er, wasn't the hockey line in reference to the wheelchair vehicular homicide thread's thrice banned opening post?

Forum has been moving fast, so I may be wrong.
The line that MWS dropped was a play on 'Nigga' culture, I believe. It's not uncommon to see the sentiment "Fucking nigga culture disgusts me, these people are no better than animals!" on the net, though not so much on GAF. With that frame of reference, a ban seems a little harsh to me.

Now I'm off to find the thread that you're talking about.

Cool.

If you have the inclination, also search for some of his other work. It's really great.
Absolutely, I'm already on it. I believe you may have mentioned him before as I went to Google and had already seen a couple of the first pieces.

The line that MWS dropped was a play on 'Nigga' culture, I believe. It's not uncommon to see the sentiment "Fucking nigga culture disgusts me, these people are no better than animals!" on the net, though not so much on GAF.

Oh, haha if he meant it like that.

Not that I have a problem with hockey players or anything. Some of my best friends play hockey. They're some of the good ones.

Akainu

I guess I'll do one even though I'm rarely in here.

- Where you're from - Florida
- Where you live - Florida
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Black American
- Do you know your roots? - ...Black American?
- Your Age - 24
- Favorite musical genre - Rock, Jazz, Classical, J-stuff, anything really as long as it sounds good.
- Your profession/major/career interest - Criminal Justice
- Your religious affiliation - None. Just never cared. Atheist I guess. I think about religion the same way I do fantasy novels.
- Hobbies - Justice, Videogames, Late night driving, Candy, GAF, Manga

Top Bottom