• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

90s and early 2000s Cash Money is a guilty pleasure. Sure its not refined, intelligent hip hop but I grew up on that shit. I love my Louisiana shit.

I went to an HBCU.

I had a great time, but my department was corrupt as fuck. The dean, associate dean, and chair persons were dumb as hell and were atkin to Herman Cain.

They are lucky to be in the positions they are in because in reality, they could not get a job anywhere else.

If I explain it to you, you will not believe me. But if you are smart or are not apart of their "club" you will not succeed no matter your intelligence, accomplishments or ability to get shit done. That goes for either male or female professors...if you are not a pawn you're fucked.

But luckily, I was just a student so I didn't have to deal with that side so much, I only witnessed it happen to bright professors who were brought in. I had to deal with them acting like they are better than me, that's all. Especially at the robotics competitions.

I hate it when dumb people have power.

lil smoke

Banned
I went to an HBCU.

I had a great time, but my department was corrupt as fuck. The dean, associate dean, and chair persons were dumb as hell and were atkin to Herman Cain.

They are lucky to be in the positions they are in because in reality, they could not get a job anywhere else.

If I explain it to you, you will not believe me. But if you are smart or are not apart of their "club" you will not succeed no matter your intelligence, accomplishments or ability to get shit done. That goes for either male or female professors...if you are not a pawn you're fucked.

But luckily, I was just a student so I didn't have to deal with that side so much, I only witnessed it happen to bright professors who were brought in. I had to deal with them acting like they are better than me, that's all. Especially at the robotics competitions.

I hate it when dumb people have power.
Big LOLs. Yeah that is why I did not want to go to a HBCU. It does not reflect the real world at all.

lil smoke

Banned
Don't wanna say too much but the previous president of Tuskegee U is a close family member of mine. Lets just say I could have had a free ride there, it was always suggested that I do not go that route. During a family reunion there, I instantly realized it was not for me. Seemed like High School II.

Air

Banned
Gaf has been on a roll with hilarious threads this week. The lick your plate thread (surprise thread of the year so far right there), receipt check, the gps that avoids ghetto neighborhoods. At this rate, there will be more all-star threads this year than ever before.

Also, never cared for HBCUs. Didn't even consider one for school. I've always been surrounded by different kinds of people. It makes life a lot more interesting to me.

When I was applying for universities I got tons of letters from HBCUs but didn't even consider them for a second. I like diversity. No, I LOVE diversity. I love being with tons of different people

DominoKid

Big LOLs. Yeah that is why I did not want to go to a HBCU. It does not reflect the real world at all.

the thing that always got me about HBCUs is all the ridiculous rules i'd hear about from my friends. curfews, separate gender dorms, etc.

i'm bugging like we're adults now, but they got more oppressive rules than high school!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
the thing that always got me about HBCUs is all the ridiculous rules i'd hear about from my friends. curfews, separate gender dorms, etc.

i'm bugging like we're adults now, but they got more oppressive rules than high school!

the sad shit is that most need it

Cash Money was great because they helped me break out of my East Coast only mentality I had growing up. Such a refreshing change from what the New York rappers were doing.

Juvenile's 400 degreez album is considered like, a hood classic down here. I still love it, not gonna lie.

First song I heard on that album was Ha, it was basically a collection of great punchlines.

"You came to Magnolia on New Years eve ha, you got stuck and couldn't leave ha, it was hard for you to breath ha." lol

Guess I'll weigh in on HBCU's. I'm applying to schools right now and Howard is the only HBCU on my list. Honestly I'm thinking of going there because I know I'll have friends there and they are the only HBCU with a soccer team which I play oh and I'll be able to get an academic scholarship. But I feel like some of the advantages people cite aren't really advantages. I don't want to get used to an environment where it's mostly black people because that's not how the real world is. Plus some of the crazy stuff that goes on a HBCUs I couldn't deal with. But really I want to go to UNC anyway.

Slayven

Guess I'll weigh in on HBCU's. I'm applying to schools right now and Howard is the only HBCU on my list. Honestly I'm thinking of going there because I know I'll have friends there and they are the only HBCU with a soccer team which I play oh and I'll be able to get an academic scholarship. But I feel like some of the advantages people cite aren't really advantages. I don't want to get used to an environment where it's mostly black people because that's not how the real world is. Plus some of the crazy stuff that goes on a HBCUs I couldn't deal with. But really I want to go to UNC anyway.

For a minute I was scared ScOULaris had made a thread about Black Colleges.

Guess I'll weigh in on HBCU's. I'm applying to schools right now and Howard is the only HBCU on my list.

Tip: don't.

One of my sands (fraternity brothers) was at Howard and transferred to Michigan (a Mechanical Engineering student). When asked about the curriculum he said it was "a fucking joke" in between laughs. Antequated everything, poor(er) instruction, mediocre student body.

If you can get into a top 50 public school, choose one of those schools every time.

Tip: don't.

One of my sands (fraternity brothers) was at Howard and transferred to Michigan (a Mechanical Engineering student). When asked about the curriculum he said it was "a fucking joke" in between laughs. Antequated everything, poor(er) instruction, mediocre student body.

If you can get into a top 50 public school, choose one of those schools every time.

Yeah really I'm applying because I'm eligible for a full ride. I have a 30 ACT and 3.7 GPA. Plus my parents didn't save anything for my college so I have to take what I can get.

Yasae

Banned
Yeah really I'm applying because I'm eligible for a full ride. I have a 30 ACT and 3.7 GPA. Plus my parents didn't save anything for my college so I have to take what I can get.
Take the best option you can get; it's a powerful advantage to have. I wish I would've taken the SAT again and tried applying myself. A 1230 isn't bad, but obviously it didn't get me a merit scholarship.

Note that you will have to pay for grad school if it comes about. That's when internships, grant proposals, and research become fairly valuable.

Take the best option you can get; it's a powerful advantage to have. I wish I would've taken the SAT again and tried applying myself. A 1230 isn't bad, but obviously it didn't get me a merit scholarship.

Note that you will have to pay for grad school if it comes about. That's when internships, grant proposals, and research become fairly valuable.

Yeah grad school is in my future a doctorate as well. Depending on how soccer goes that will either come right after undergraduate studies or later on.

Yasae

Banned
Yeah grad school is in my future a doctorate as well. Depending on how soccer goes that will either come right after undergraduate studies or later on.
My sister had to take out pretty substantial loans for her master's study. She had a perfect SAT score (1600 at the time) and I think is still paying them off in her 30s.

It's not a big deal and you're still going to walk away with a lot less debt. You'll be fine, just start the gears rolling for it early if you can.

My sister had to take out pretty substantial loans for her master's study. She had a perfect SAT score (1600 at the time) and I think is still paying them off in her 30s.

It's not a big deal and you're still going to walk away with a lot less debt. You'll be fine, just start the gears rolling for it early if you can.

Yeah your SAT doesn't affect you master's it's all about the GMAT as far as I know and your undergraduate GPA.

Juvenile's 400 degreez album is considered like, a hood classic down here. I still love it, not gonna lie.
Hell yeah!!! G-Code is a damn good album also..

90s and early 2000s Cash Money is a guilty pleasure. Sure its not refined, intelligent hip hop but I grew up on that shit. I love my Louisiana shit.
I remember back in 98' No Limit drop like 2 albums every month..I think all of them went gold to platinum..

Bleepey

Damn American tuition is brutal. I worked a cinema job and a paid jnternship to pay my way through my masters (almost finished). That said I am "only" paying £5400 a year. I was unemployed for so long it had to be done, if I didn't want to take out loans. I might have to go overdrawn to finish my tuition or borrow from my mum. But it will feel good when all paid by this month. Can I hear a little more about HBCUs, being from London they seem weird to me.

I have a question, if anyone cares to answer.

What does black culture mean to you?

Kwanzaa.jpg

It's like uhh...I dunno, things that black people, despite coming from different cultures and upbringings and environments, somehow have in common and can relate to

I have a question, if anyone cares to answer.

What does black culture mean to you?

In my opinion races don't have cultures per se. I think cultures are more grouped by geography. At least I don't think African-Americans have a certain culture that all follow. That's just my opinion. I think blacks in other parts of the world do have their own culture. Maybe it's just me though.

Boss Man

In my opinion races don't have cultures per se. I think cultures are more grouped by geography. At least I don't think African-Americans have a certain culture that all follow. That's just my opinion. I think blacks in other parts of the world do have their own culture. Maybe it's just me though.
That's kind of the way I see it, personally. I'd propose that the notion that people with the same skin color should share the same culture has been a harmful one in America, but I won't argue it because...well, I'm not black so I can't really know.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

why do blacks in other parts of the world have a culture, but not african americans?

Top Bottom