• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

why do blacks in other parts of the world have a culture, but not african americans?

I don't know. I think it has to do with when we were brought over as slaves we were basically stripped of the culture we had in Africa. That's what I'm trying to say. I don't feel like there is something or some practice that all blacks follow. But I know others have different ideas and I would definitely like to hear them

Satch

Banned
Well, black slaves were "stripped" of their culture in the sense that they weren't allowed to express their culture.

However, they practiced and developed the culture in secret. An absolutely massive amount of the music we listen to comes from black influences.

Well, black slaves were "stripped" of their culture in the sense that they weren't allowed to express their culture.

However, they practiced and developed the culture in secret. An absolutely massive amount of the music we listen to comes from black influences.

Man it's like we're connected tonight.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
why do blacks in other parts of the world have a culture, but not african americans?

Its a culture in itself. Look on the bright side, if this were any other time or any other place, we'd have been assimilated into another culture or wiped out completely.

...or something

and I think that may be bad too...

but whatever

Yasae

Banned
Yeah your SAT doesn't affect you master's it's all about the GMAT as far as I know and your undergraduate GPA.
Those won't grant you merit scholarships - basically you're not making the school look good anymore. There are research fellowships, organizational scholarships, internships, career-based incentives etc. Being black doesn't hurt either.

Hell yeah!!! G-Code is a damn good album also..

I remember back in 98' No Limit drop like 2 albums every month..I think all of them went gold to platinum..

G Code was my shit. Damn shame that they all split. And I bought so many terrible No Limit albums growing up. They also came in the neat little plastic cases.

DominoKid

lol Miguel Nunez' career has fallen all the way off. or else he reeeeeeeeeeeeally likes dressing up as a woman.

i'm watching Blue Mountain State on Netflix (hilarious show btw) and this dude is playing a prostitute.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lol Miguel Nunez' career has fallen all the way off. or else he reeeeeeeeeeeeally likes dressing up as a woman.

i'm watching Blue Mountain State on Netflix (hilarious show btw) and this dude is playing a prostitute.
Yeah, pretty much. Juwanna mann sealed his damn fate unfortunately. Its a. shame he's come from a movie like harlem nights with stars galore, to practically unnamed cameos.

And yeah, blue mountain state is hilarious. But I can't help but get a boise state vibe from the team

I almost feel like that excuse should be buried; how long can we hide behind that. There is African American culture in the US and has been been for centuries. To me the question is more what is the current state of African American culture, and I can't really say it's "good" or healthy compared to that of the 60s, 70s, and before

It's like we've reached some perpetual level of parody and celebrated ignorance

DominoKid

I almost feel like that excuse should be buried; how long can we hide behind that. There is African American culture in the US and has been been for centuries. To me the question is more what is the current state of African American culture, and I can't really say it's "good" or healthy compared to that of the 60s, 70s, and before

as long as we want to really considering we only just got a level playing field in society (in name only tho) in the 60s. african american culture is still in its infancy.

DominoKid

dsc1493-xl.jpg

mya just keeps gettin finer and finer.

You really shouldn't look at it that way. Because even America as a whole is looked down upon at times when talking to other nations about culture. If they consider us too young and too much of a melting pot to have strong defining traits we can identify with, then obviously the black community in the US has even less.

But Blacks in America created their own culture, in the same ways other cultures that separated from their country of origin are created. It may not be as old as other cultures, but the relative success and exposure, shows the world that it is strong enough to stand apart on its own.

Measley

African Americans are a part of American culture. "Black culture" in the states has been almost wholly absorbed by the greater American culture outside of a few segregated instances (like churches).

DominoKid

Hey, guys, what's your favorite 'black' movie and why?

What do you think constitutes a 'black' movie?

Soul Plane. Come at me.
Great cast and ridiculously funny.
IDK why black people decided that was the movie to throw under the bus.
I still remember the first time I saw Malcolm X Terminal. That's when I knew I'd love it forever.

Undercover Brother is also really funny.

Measley

Hard to pick a favorite but Boyz N the Hood, Inside Man, Friday, Why did I get Married? are all can't miss movies imo.

Cue the TP hate.

Why did I get Married is the best movie Tyler Perry has made.

I wish he'd stick with that, and let the Madea character die already.

I'm also interested in what you think makes a movie a 'black' movie.

To a lot of white audiences, the presence of more than 2 black characters on a poster seems to be the deciding factor.

Any movie that has black protagonists (Glory had like 4 or 5 of them) and a mostly black cast.

I hope Red Tails turns out good.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Soul Plane. Come at me.
Great cast and ridiculously funny.
IDK why black people decided that was the movie to throw under the bus.
I still remember the first time I saw Malcolm X Terminal. That's when I knew I'd love it forever.

Undercover Brother is also really funny.

Soul Plane was horrible.. with the cast it should have been a real gem..

Friday
Scary Movie
Don't be a Menace.....

Dead Presidents
Belly

Soul Plane. Come at me.

Came at bro. That shit was one of the most unfunny, embarrassing depictions of black people I've seen in a movie with a decent budget. It's one thing if it's embarrassing or extremely silly, so long as it's funny. Pootie Tang comes to mind. But Soul Plane? Cringe-worthy!

Top Bottom