• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Measley

Surprised no one mentioned Spike Lee's films;

Mo Better Blues
Do the Right Thing
School Daze
Get on the Bus

No love for Spike?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
cosml9rl1ajklmrc.jpg

Watch this movie.

Imm0rt4l

cosml9rl1ajklmrc.jpg

Watch this movie.

Yes, listen to this guy. Great movie, forgot to mention this. Fresh is definitely top 10 hood classics. Unfortunately it was taken off of netflix a few weeks ago.

http://i.imgur.com/WyeuJ.gif[IMG]

Thank you for the support Black GAF!

Even though it's pretty fucked up [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34041111&postcount=12647"]SmokeyDave [/URL]was the only person who got the reference in the post that got me banned.[/QUOTE]
welcome back.

People in this thread that need to join realpic GAF:

Dominokid
Satchwar
MWS (not anymore :( )

What is the point of this realpic thing again? Haven't went into the thread.

On a previous topic. I went to Morehouse and while HBCUs aren't for everyone I wouldn't stop recommending a quality one (Morehouse, Spelman, Howard) to anyone. I would not have had the same experience if I went to a larger university.

What is the point of this realpic thing again? Haven't went into the thread.

On a previous topic. I went to Morehouse and while HBCUs aren't for everyone I wouldn't stop recommending a quality one (Morehouse, Spelman, Howard) to anyone. I would not have had the same experience if I went to a larger university.

Real Pic January is just to use your real picture as an avatar in January. It's...interesting. I'm doing it. It's nice to see my Negro-Age people rocking their real faces, lol.

Also, re: HBCUs, my cousin went to one (Howard) and it was a great experience for her. I didn't want to do it back when I was younger, but in hindsight I probably would've loved it there if I went. I would recommend it.

Finally, re: black movies...could The Last Dragon count? Because if it does, I'm gonna ride with that.

MIMIC

Banned
Tales From the Hood was scary, but I was also a kid when I saw it, and I was only really scared because of the ending.

Haha, I first saw that as a kid, too. The ending....more than unsettling >_<

Also, remember the dolls part? Remember when the guy looked at the picture and all the dolls were gone????. Oh GOD X_X

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Haha, I first saw that as a kid, too. The ending....more than unsettling >_<

Also, remember the dolls part? Remember when the guy looked at the picture and all the dolls were gone????. Oh GOD X_X
The dolls was the scariest of the stories. The others were ridiculous, even to me as a kid.

Imm0rt4l

While on the subject anyone watching Red Tails when it gets released? I feel almost compelled to watch it as an aviation buff, and I have a great respect for the Tuskegee airmen, but that movie is seriously probably going to suck all kinds of ass.....so I'll probably just rent it when it hits dvd.

While on the subject anyone watching Red Tails when it gets released? I feel almost compelled to watch it as an aviation buff, and I have a great respect for the Tuskegee airmen, but that movie is seriously probably going to suck all kinds of ass.....so I'll probably just rent it when it hits dvd.

I dont watch movies that play the race card.

Boyz is a lot more melodramatic and Menace is bleak as fuck but I'm not sure if I'd call one better than the other. They can co-exist, they're different enough.

It's the bleak and darker tone of Menace that left more of an impact with me though,especially the last scene in Menace (Seeing Cain's body get riddle with bullets while trying to protect Anthony is haunting for me ).Both are excellent films though, and I suppose you're right in saying they're different enough to co-exist.

Menace is more raw, not nearly as polished a film as Boyz n' da Hood, but I think that's a big part of its charm.

What I learned from both films is to NEVER eat burgers at 2 o' clock in the morning. Dudes will come up and smoke your ass for something you forgot you did.

Tokubetsu

Menace is more raw, not nearly as polished a film as Boyz n' da Hood, but I think that's a big part of its charm.

What I learned from both films is to NEVER eat burgers at 2 o' clock in the morning. Dudes will come up and smoke your ass for something you forgot you did.

Also, anytime you decide to change your life around, you or someone close to you is going to die horribly.

Burger spots or any kind of fastfood with outside seating invites SOOO much trouble late at night, it's weird.

Put up 4 walls and a roof and people can eat and sober up with greasy food, but leave benches and tables outside and something is bound to go down. It's bad neighborhood science. Hell, parks at night are nothing to mess around with either.

Benches + open air = protect ya neck.

Top Bottom